[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>attaching a title to an otherwise completely unrelated game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: prey.jpg (42 KB, 2048x864) Image search: [Google]
prey.jpg
42 KB, 2048x864
>attaching a title to an otherwise completely unrelated game for commercial reasons

Will this be as successful as it was for Dune 2 and System Shock 2?
>>
>>345164990
wasn't SS2 pretty related to SS?
>>
I'm fucking furious they did this instead of releasing Prey 2. I probably would have played this game too, if it had it's own name instead of leaching off Prey. Now I'm going to avoid it out of spite.
>>
>>345165245
No, it was a game semi-inspired by it by a different dev and the publisher pushed them into making it a sequel during development
>>
>>345165814
but the story and shit
>>
>>345165245
Not at pitch time, it was intended to be a non-related title, but persuasion from publishers and engine licensing from Looking Glass meant it became a true sequel due to rewrites and proper planning. They ran out of money toward the end, as EA didn't know what they were going to have and dropped proverbial nuts, the initial marketing (a fucking joke) really shows this.
>>
>>345165462
I hope some Humanhead dev "accidentally" leaks the alpha version.
The convention demos looked pretty playable, and the modding community could probably finish the game, it's happened before.
>>
>>345166134
my guess is that it's wayyy less complete that people think
>>
>>345166316
Used to work in game dev years ago, the company had to shelve 2 near complete titles due to legal fuckrapery, not allowed to touch the source code either due to a fucking non-compete clause and NDA bullshit.
Don't get in bed with crazy, we lost an original IP. Can't say any more because I like my life savings and professional reputation.
>>
>>345165814
But I think OP means that they're making a game that has nothing to do with the first one in any sort've way we've seen, so far. And seems to be completely different than the original.
>>
>>345165462
Prey 2 was sadly canned ages ago due to various development/publisher issues, this being called "Prey" was basically just to confirm that the Prey 2 everyone wants is never happening.

Looks like it could be neat though, and Avellone is working on it so at least the story should be novel
>>
>>345169584
It's going to get shat upon purely because it's called Prey. It's dumb, just give it a new name.
>>
>>345169740
I think you're overestimating the amount of people who are that passionate about Prey 2. It was super cool looking and there were always people hoping it would show up, but I don't think that many people are so salty about it that they would shit on this if it ends up being a good game in its own right.

And god knows there's aren't any Prey 1 fanboys waiting to get mad that it's not loyal to that esteemed legacy
>>
>>345169926
But:
1. People don't care about Prey won't care that it's called Prey so why bother?
2. People who do care about Prey are going to be pissed off that it's not Prey, so why bother?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.