[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game worth $10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 256x361) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 256x361
Is this game worth $10
>>
No. Terrible gameplay. Blah "story"
>>
The entire trilogy was $10 on summer sale
>>
>>345151232

Seriously? Still $10 during sales?

The same bundle has been $5 on Bundle Stars all day every day for a while now.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/fear-bundle

Not that it really matters. Only the first game is worth buying, and sometimes you can get it on Steam for $2.49.
>>
fuck no, boring repetitive shit
>>
>>345151181
>>345151482

Awful taste.

Maybe you don't like it because you were 5 years old when it came out.
>>
>>345151514
I seriously don't get why /v/ circlejerks this boring game
>>
>>345151562
It's not like people don't think everything you enjoy is shit. You should make a more substantial argument if you want people to take you seriously.
>>
>>345151562
It's a supernatural shooter. What more do you want?
>>
>>345151562
You obviously didn't play Video Games when this game came out. It had features that weren't seen at all at launch.
>>
>>345151562
Because it's the most fun FPS campaign I've ever played. i've finished it 18 times. Sorry you have shit taste
>>
FEAR is the best shooter to come out since 1996

it's worth $60
>>
>>345151181
>>345151482
>>345151562

Get a load of these faggots.

>>345151562

It has really developed shooting mechanics. Being able to shoot a grenade in mid air for instance, catching a gun in mid air as well during slow mo and keeping on shooting. Almost everything in the game world has physics and reacts when shot and the enemy AI is still impressive.
>>
>>345151062
Every penny.
>>
>>345151062
4U.
>>
>>345151181
>>345151232
>>345151482
>>345151562
Don't listen to these idiots, OP. They're either simpletons with horrible taste, or trolling.
>>
>>345151897

The original FEAR along with it´s non-canon expansions are the best in my opinion.

The combat is quite enjoyable and the scary parts are quite scary too.

completely worth it.
>>
I picked it up for a dollar a year or so back mostly because everybody always talks about it being so good.

it was predy gud. I wish the original campaign had involved moar spooky shit happening like in the second expansion pack. The base game was mostly 'you walk down a spooky hallway' instead of SHADOWY BLOBS TENTACLE RAPE YOU
>>
>>345151062

The game is actually pretty good, but why would you pay $10 for it? I really want to know why you would even consider it. That's the FULL PRICE on Steam. You don't buy games at full price just after a sale ends. This game was $2.49 on Steam less than two weeks ago. Even if you're buying from somewhere other than Steam, I'm sure you can get a better deal than $10.

If you do want Steam copies, and if you want to get the whole series, see the link in >>345151434, but be aware that if you buy keys from a third-party source then you won't be able to get a refund through Steam support.
>>
>>345151723
Like what, first person shooting and shitty level design?
>>
>>345151062

Look up reviews for it on Youtube and make your own mind up, anon.
>>
>>345151697
>>345151719
>>345151723
>>345151816
>>345151862
It was not even the best FPS at the time

We had
>Half Life 2
>Serious Sam
>Far Cry
>Riddick
>First 2 COD games
>Painkiller

And this boring corridor shooters
>>
>>345151514
Seventeen I believe... Either way, terrible terrible controls. Even if the story was good, you can't get past hour clunky it is. Creepy atmosphere was only redeeming element. Still not good enough to warrant a purchase at all.
>>
>>345152315
>"It's not like people don't think everything you enjoy is shit. You should make a more substantial argument if you want people to take you seriously."
>>
>>345152315

You're comparing HL2 to games like Serious Sam, Painkiller and Far Cry? They're all totally fucking different types of FPS. By your logic, Halflife 2 is boring compared to Painkiller because you don't get to kill as many enemies and it's slower paced.

Have you heard of the phrase apples and oranges?

We had never had a bullet time FPS like FEAR before that had such over the top action with the combination of horror and suspense. One minute you're this unstoppable badass taking out half a dozen soldiers, then you're scared shitless by a creepy little girl who crawls toward you in a vent shaft.

Also name a single other FPS around the same time where you could pull off melee moves like that so seamlessly? And Riddick doesn't count, I'm talking about melee worked in with the shooting controls.
>>
Ignore the shitposting. Time for serious discussion.

I bought the game in 2005 for about $50, and I bought each of the two expansions for something close to full price as well. I don't even regret it because I loved the game. I played it for countless hours. It was the best shooter I'd ever played.

However, the game was better before the multiplayer died, and I should also point out that it was the first PC shooter I'd played since Doom and Heretic. I'd been playing shooters on consoles for years. Playing a modern shooter on a PC was like eating real food for the first time after eat dog food my whole life. I thought it was the best game ever, but I wasn't comparing it to many other PC games. One also has to be aware that the graphics were more impressive at the time. Now they're outdated, obviously; the game is 11 years old.

It's obvious that the game isn't perfect, graphics and dead multiplayer aside. The story is garbage; I knew it was garbage even before I got to the end of it. Furthermore, the most common complaint, that the environments are bland and boring, is totally valid. I guess I didn't care at the time because the actual shooting mechanics were top-notch and the slow-motion feature (while not at all original) was fun to use.

Is it worth buying? Well, it's not worth $50 anymore. I won't even say it's worth $10, because the game was about $2.50 on Steam just a couple of weeks ago, and it's idiotic to pay four times the best price no matter how good a game is.

If you can get it for a decent price (i.e., wait until it goes down to $2.50 again), then it's definitely worth playing.
>>
>>345152570
>Either way, terrible terrible controls.

How so? Did you play it on a console?
>>
File: Quake1cover.jpg (137 KB, 288x334) Image search: [Google]
Quake1cover.jpg
137 KB, 288x334
>>345151514
16 when it came out. nice try though

maybe you like it because you were 2 years old when this came out
>>
>>345153917

REKT
E
K
T
>>
>>345152058
>>345151862
>>345151514
Don't listen to these trolls OP. They're trying to get you to waste your $10.
>>
>>345152315
Far Cry 1, Serious Sam, and Painkiller are all really boring games compared to FEAR

in fact so is Half-life 2 for the majority of it

nigger
>>
>>345154194

If OP spends $10 on this game (which is good btw) then he's already retarded, because it was $2.50 eleven days ago.
>>
>>345152570
I wasn't a huge fan of the game play but it was a decent shooter. And the story was pretty good. It was one of the first true horror games I can remember.

There are better games out there, but if you are just looking for a new game to play and like horror games, $10 could be worth it.
>>
>>345151062
Game still has servers. Aiming in this game is ass without slow-mo as an on-demand crutch though.
>>
>people will shit on FEAR 3 but say FEAR 2 was good
I will never understand
>>
>>345151062

yes
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.