[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you justify smurfing? It's basically cheating, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
How do you justify smurfing?

It's basically cheating, and ruins the community by not allowing players to improve.

>Hurdur fight or flight hurdur

No. If you go into anything and the community is as terrible as the obvious CSGO or Dota2 you're not gonna enjoy it, you're not gonna improve, you're just not gonna play.

inb4 you're just smurfing so you can play with your friends because the ends don't justify the means.
>>
>>345144646

People who smurf either don't enjoy challenge or can't compete at their own level, so they play against people who barely know how to play the game in order to feel accomplished or actually have fun with the game at the expense of others and the playerbase.

They are scum and should be pointed out as such. This includes streamers who do it for views.
>>
Get off of /v/, Grouchy Smurf.
>>
What exactly is smurfing
>>
>>345145171
The act of hitting someone across the face with one's penis
>>
Some of us are just a fuck-load smarter, faster, more aware, more considerate, more wise planners and/or understand more premises to games. When we pick up a multiplayer game, we win all of the ranking matches and get tossed in with players who learned much more slowly then us, with rigorous practice learning everything chunk by chunk. So we actually fall down at high level play. You can't ask us to be bad players from the get go because it's not fun.

Another reason, which applies to the mediocre and the talented alike is to gain new experiences in the game either for skill building or just to explore and enjoy it in another way. Games are actually fucking fun when they're asymmetric but boring when they're too balanced. Also if it's a carry-possible game, it's good to get reliable experience winning and carrying games so we can get good in that

Anyway I don't smurf because I don't waste my life on repetitive games that have nothing but more practice of the same ideas to offer. I'm looking at you, MOBAs and enclosed shooters. Basically every piece of shit that has a pro competitive scene (which is possible because the playerbase is obsessive and addicting, which is why they value smurf as described in the second paragraph, as well as the game being easy to standardize and regulate making it quickly unfulfilling which is further reason for the second paragraph).
>>
>>345145495
>Some of us are just a fuck-load smarter, faster, more aware, more considerate, more wise planners and/or understand more premises to games

>But once it gets too difficult I'm out
>>
>>345145495
it's good to get reliable experience winning and carrying games so we can get good at handling situations of us carrying arising, rather than it being rare and tense.
>>
>>345145495
is this a pasta?
>>
>>345144646
What the heck is smurfing
>>
>>345145951
A smurf is a colloquial term for a money launderer, or one who seeks to evade scrutiny from government agencies by breaking up a transaction involving a large amount of money into smaller transactions below the reporting threshold.
>>
>>345145495
>>345145685 (clarification for you) (please also see motivations for playing or not in the third paragraph)
Typically, as with all skills that're developed, someone who built knowledge from basics slowly will perform better than someone who has ability due to adaptability and general intelligence. Especially if the measure of performance is methodical and the skill has a contextual meta (gamers don't know what meta means).
Typically the very best have all of these features, but how often are you or I the top 0.1% of something?
>>
>>345144646
>by not allowing players to improve.
smurfing makes players improve faster, but it's still gay.
>>
Smurfing isn't a real thing is it...
>>
>>345146160
And how does that have anything to do with a video game? Is this a new troll or something?
>>
>>345144646
There are like two cases where smurfing is acceptable.

1. The game has some nonsense refer-a-friend thing where you need to lvl a bunch of new accounts to a certain lvl to get a reward.

2. If you're actually in the highest levels of play , the queue times are astronomical. When I played LoL, it was not uncommon to have 40min queue times. Fuck that. I just wanna play. hence, smurf.
>>
>>345146392
Only new thing here is you, friend
>>
>>345146392
instead of money, they launder player skill
>>
>>345145171
>>345145834
Smurfing is reaching a high, or higher than average rank in a competitive game, and then manipulating the ranking system in some way or another to play against people who are entry level or just plain not as good.
>>
>>345145834
No some people actually think for themselves. I know it's rare to see on a Friday night.
>>
>>345146565
Why call it smurfing though?

Do tourny fags just pick random words to brand people?
>>
> he thinks years of experience playing similar games hasn't given him a massive advantage over others.

People who played the original DOTA are going to be in a league of their own, FACT.

Smurfs are simply emulating that level of experience by creating new accounts.
>>
>>345146717
tourney fags are the cancer of everything.
>>
>>345146717
>why do people who are good get to decide the terms of the game?
>>
>>345146932
Why are "good" people so concerned with the behaviour of people that they obviously consider their lesser?

Besides, 9/10 most of the problems in competitive games comes from pre-made groups on the team refusing to co-operate with the rest of the team, not the smurfs.

I've seen it happen myself, as a smurf. I fucking told them to stop sucking each other's cock and lo and behold they started working together with the rest of the team and we immediately started kicking ass.

Smurf players might not be very good in terms of skill, but their experience allows them to spot common mistakes on behalf of new players and teach them how to play skillfully.
>>
>>345147251
>Why are people so concerned with the behaviour of people that they obviously consider their lesser?
ftfy
>>
>>345144646
smurfing is great

the dude smurfing is "teaching" what a character can do, how high ranks play, etc

the enemy will have a "private lesson" from a pro (the smurf)

i dont get why people cry about this, as a player i would want to play always more skilled people, and not around the same level/skill that i have... but thats just me
>>
File: 1468618731051.png (223 KB, 505x505) Image search: [Google]
1468618731051.png
223 KB, 505x505
What other games that are not valve can you smurf even?
>>
>>345144646
Same reason I never play ranked modes where possible.
High ELO = play with cheaters every match.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.