[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this still fun? I was addicted to that shit like 4 or 5 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
Is this still fun?

I was addicted to that shit like 4 or 5 years ago and suddenly got an itch to play it again

How is it?Did it aged well? Is the community still active?
>>
It's different, and it's shit. It's entirely about the endgame, and the community is shit. You're also an old, cynical, dying shell of the person you once used to be, and won't be able to simply enjoy the game without overanalyzing it and complaining about things like grinding and P2W.
>>
It's in the worst state its ever been.
>>
You can reach about mid-game without paying for anything, but if you want to even step foot into late-game content, you need to shell out that credit card with a minimum buy in of like $1000-2000
>>
>you'll never enjoy pre-4th job maplestory again

Why live
>>
You're better off playing a private server like mapleroyals rather than the official version
>>
>>345143550
>>345143592
>>345143687

Well thats depressing.

But let's say I don't care about being level 900 with full endgame armor and just want to have some fun (when I played I got to level 80 at most kek,never put a penny into it) ,Is the game worth it?
>>
File: 1450740884077.jpg (55 KB, 311x430) Image search: [Google]
1450740884077.jpg
55 KB, 311x430
>>345143323
I don't get why >>345143687 and >>345143550 are complaining about P2W when Reboot exists.
Seems like people are spouting shit about things they know nothing about.

Just try Reboot and you'll enjoy it. I did and I made a few friends I've been playing alongside.

>>345144163
royalsfag go back to /msg/ please
>>
>>345144232
ignore the retards and play reboot
there's literally zero p2w outside of pets and those are really just for convenience

you get free pets anyway, it's not like they're hard to acquire

cash shop is restricted to cosmetics, and cash items that you'd normally have to buy like cubes are in the rewards shop and drop from bosses

if having new content triggers you you really shouldn't come back though, the game has definitely changed a lot

it's still pretty active, it gets to the point where the biggest server (reboot) can get unstable, so do expect connection issues on 2x weekends

>>345144163
fuck off
>>
Royals is pretty much your best bet if you want to play classic Maplestory. Before they butchered all of the Explorer classes with their shit balancing.
>>
>>345143323
Reboot is pretty good but nothign will ever compare to the 2005 era nd before. I used to dream of fighting pianus
>>
>>345144695
>rebootfag
Reboot fucking sucks, it encourages solo play more than ever. That's not what old Maple was about at all.
>>
File: WhatsCoolSonic.gif (3 MB, 415x428) Image search: [Google]
WhatsCoolSonic.gif
3 MB, 415x428
Hows ch1 FM? Still ass-to-mouth crowded?
>>
>>345144960
Literally how? I play in parties almost all the time when I'm online. Join a guild faggot.
>>
Idk anymore desu but man that soundtrack is the fucking shit
>>
It's utter shit mate. It's been dead since 2009
>>
>>345143730
>you will never experience the old maple community again
I should kill myself
>>
>>345143323
>>345144294
>>345144695
These people are from /msg/, OP. They're obsessed with how current MS is despite the fact that it's literally a completely different game to the MS you're thinking of.

The MS you played was a leveling-based sandbox. The MS they like is an endgame-focused theme park.

These people have driven everyone out of /msg/ except for the people who like modern MS. Servers like Mapleroyals aren't even mentioned in the OP of their threads, even though MR is the most popular MS private server. Don't listen to them. They don't care about what you want, only about their stupid feud against "nostalgiafags". They are unable to comprehend the idea that people may actually just like the old MS game better.

That said, it can't hurt to try modern MS. There are a few private servers, but I'd personally probably try the official Reboot server. It's not p2w, and it's fairly new. The game's not a bad game, it's just different. The combat is a lot flashier and visceral, and classes have a lot more gimmicks. There are a lot more classes as well. You may have fun.

If you enjoy it, great. If not, try MapleRoyals. Personally, I enjoy MR way more. It's not nostalgia. I legitimately enjoy the game more. It has more soul. The maps are more interesting. Classes are actually different - one issue GMS has is that every class has huge, flashy AoEs now, so they all play fairly similarly.
>>
>>345146790
Not OP, but I'll try royals. What's your IGN so I can have someone to shitpost with?
>>
>>345146790
Haven't visited /msg/ in at least a year, but old MS has its share of problems as well, and modern MS has some good things like giving you freedom of movement due to everyone having a flash jump and all classes can actually compete with fast classes who literally KSed the shit out of everyone and were impossible to beat unless you were a Bishop with Genesis.

Yes, modern MS has the huge problem of not really making you care about partying at all unless you were farming in SDH or something, forcing pets on you if you actually want to afford your endgame gear, doing the daily bullshit where it punishes you if you're not spending 4+ hours in game killing all the bosses over and over, and a lot of the areas are basically linear theme parks with no reason to explore.

In general the gameplay is much easier to work with and it's much easier for a free person to compete with paying players to a certain degree while also letting you actually experience shit like fourth or even third job without spending years of your life on a single character. It's a shame about losing any reason to PQ or party, but they did manage to make actually playing the game a much better experience than the soul crushing ordeal that was grinding for hours barely getting 10% at most and being unable to afford potionsa t all unless you spent months selling scrolls.
>>
>>345148279
I really just miss the community that I'm not sure can be brought back at all.
>>
>>345148279
But there's a massive issue with saying "OLD MS SUCKED GO PLAY REBOOT" to people who last played the game 5+ years ago, probably even before Big Bang. They are obviously not looking for new MS. They are looking for old MS.

And while it's difficult to come to understand this point, a lot of people really like that old-style grinding. They like all the inconveniences that came with old MS. They like having to spend years of their lives on a single character. It's not for everybody, but it is for a lot of people. And those people have been desperately looking for a new MMO ever since RO and MS changed.

>>345148826
You'll find community wherever you go. Reboot's got a pretty nice community. So does Royals. Is it like it was? No. But the entire internet isn't like it was. Things have changed for everybody.

The important thing is allowing yourself to be a part of the community wherever you do end up going, not finding some nonexistent perfect community with all of the abstract, undefinable characteristics you're looking for.
>>
>>345145186
Not at all. It's emptier than the contact list on your phone.
>>
>>345149656
>And those people have been desperately looking for a new MMO ever since RO and MS changed.
This, there really isn't anything that can replace those old games now. I was hoping ToS might help, but that turned out to be shit
>>
>>345149684
Wow nice one bro, I'm gonna use that next time
>>
No. Bad. No. No.
>>
>>345149656
>And while it's difficult to come to understand this point, a lot of people really like that old-style grinding.
Yeah, but why would you like it? There's the argument that it brings people together due to how long it takes, but it prevents you from seeing almost any content besides starting areas for massive amounts of the game, and your character progression is essentially at a halt once you get to around 50. Private servers sort of remedy this issue, but it's still painful to spend hours grinding in OldMS servers due to their rates either being way too fast to encourage rebirthing or far too low that you're barely even reaching NewMS levels of leveling(Once you reach the 140 point in NewMS I mean).
>>
>>345151179
>Yeah, but why would you like it?
Why does it matter? They like it better. You sound like you're somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

People have their preferences. List off 10000 reasons why your thing is better. It doesn't matter. They don't like it as much. You're not going to change their minds by listing off MORE reasons why your thing is better. I've experienced Reboot. It's not my thing. I don't care how many new features it has, how much more content it has. I prefer old MS.

Don't try to force your own tastes onto others who are clearly looking for something different. Doing so only demonstrates a complete lack of understanding about social interaction.
>>
>>345152356
>Why does it matter? They like it better
Because ultimately you are getting to do less of everything and experience less of everything for nearly quadruple the time investment. It just makes no sense at all as to why you would enjoy pissing your time away grinding when the same content can be obtained in less time in general.

I get playing for fun, and I get people have fun with different things, but this is literally an insanely long timesink for less of everything compared to newer Maplestory. You can't even really have more than one class in OldMS due to how long it takes to level.
>>
>>345152576
>I get playing for fun, and I get people have fun with different things
You obviously don't, because you just posted

>It just makes no sense at all as to why you would enjoy pissing your time away grinding when the same content can be obtained in less time in general.

Again, nobody gives a flying fuck what new MS has to offer. It is a different game. It is a different experience. There are a lot of people who don't like that experience as much.

It's such a simple idea. I have no idea why you're having so much difficulty grasping it. The number of amazing new features in MS DO NOT MATTER, because people have made their value judgments of the game FROM PLAYING IT and they do not like it as much.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.