[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the original game boy color palette allow for transparency?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: gameboy-color-pallete.png (46 KB, 400x375) Image search: [Google]
gameboy-color-pallete.png
46 KB, 400x375
Did the original game boy color palette allow for transparency?

I'm making a game in the spirit of this style, and can't find any information online if the gameboy supported transparency or not. Thought I'd ask here.
>>
>>345133665
4 seconds in google
https://puggsoy.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/game-boy-palette-tricks/

be grateful I'm spoonfeeding this shit for you
>>
>>345133846
Yes, that's full transparency, just lacking colors. I'm talking about semi-transparency, as in alpha values.
>>
there's that one retroarch filter that simulates a Game boy.
>>
>>345134279
I don't think it does. Back in the day transparency was achieved by alternating the visibility of an object on and off every 2 frames. No idea if the gameboy was capable of that though.
>>
>>345134665
This is what I feared, but oh well.

Art >>> historical accuracy I'm feeling

No transparency sacrifices a lot of possiblities
>>
>>345134279
>It’s 2-bit, meaning that it can hold 4 different colours (2 bits can hold values of 00, 01, 10, and 11). These aren’t really “colours” as such, but rather monochrome shades; white, black, and two shades of grey. One of these is actually used as transparency (i.e. rendered invisible), meaning that sprites can be made up of 3 colours + transparency.

I believe there isn't such thing, anon.
>>
>>345134279
based on 2 minutes on wikipedia, I don't think transparency is supported by the original gameboy, since it was just a 2 bit grayscale display.
>>
>>345135430
it isn't pure grayscale, there's a total of 12 different shades possible. Ranging from a light tan, to dark brown, and dark / light green.
>>
>>345135619
I see, but isn't the green color just achieved by the non-backlit green LCD screen? or am I just retarded?
>>
>>345136430
I have no idea, but the reason doesn't really matter. The colors are what people remember. Example would be the pic above
>>
>>345133665
if the game isn't primarily about it's faithfulness to the gameboy hardware, then you could probably get away with it and no one should care
>>
You could always use the classic "flicker the sprite on and off every other frame" trick for a pseudo-transparency effect.
>>
>>345137084
Not a bad idea when used sparingly desu
>>
>>345133665
transparency can be done via dithering. but I don't know how effective that is at such low resolution
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.