[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do video games feel different now to anybody else? http://w
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 24
File: 1441202102602.gif (178 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1441202102602.gif
178 KB, 250x188
Do video games feel different now to anybody else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE

Not just the video games themselves but the entire industry. Everything about them. Even the way you feel when you think about them. Or play them.

It feels like I've awoken from a really bad dream. Not a scary nightmare, but the kind of uncomfortable dream that seemed real, but slightly off. The kind of dream that makes you breathe a sigh of relief when you wake up.

Video games are supposed to be fun, so why does it feel like I've just 'escaped' from them? What's going on, /v/? I'm very confused right now and don't really know what to think. I feel lost. I feel like an old friend has turned their back on me without explanation. I feel like this whole thing has been an illusion.

Has this happened to any of you?

I can't talk to an old friend anymore
>>
>>345075008
damn sam, that felt waayyy too personal. who hurt you, man.
>>
I used to think similarly to you until I started looking around games I never tried and avoiding most AAA games. There's still quite a few good vidya beung made and it's more widely available than ever before. The industry is too big for its own good and arguably the Western industry is killing it as well, but don't worry, just have a little optimism and quit letting daily shit news or shitposters bring you down. Also helps to play vidya more sparsely and take some breaks.
>>
File: smyde.png (121 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
smyde.png
121 KB, 500x323
>>345075008
>>
>>345075418

Exactly this. Saying AAA titles are fucked up is completely different from saying good games aren't being released. There's a huge library of stuff you haven't played yet,sat and present. Focus more on having fun than existential worry about an industry you haveno control over.
>>
>>345075418
>>345075962
heh enjoy your indieshit pcucks
>>
>>345075418
This pretty much Back in the day popular stuff included something like NBA Jam which I also didn't understand.
>>
>>345076028
I own a Vita, PS2/3/4, and unhacked 3DS though
>>
>>345076028

Isn't it past your bedtime kiddo?
>>
>>345075232
Well, if his post is to be believed, video games did.
>>
>>345075962

>There's a huge library of stuff you haven't played yet,sat and present. Focus more on having fun than existential worry about an industry you haveno control over.

This, basically. I've spent the last two years playing through a bunch of games I'd never played before from the 80s to the present day, and I'm having quite a bit of fun. I've got enough games I'm interested in two do this for at least another two years if I want.
>>
File: 1467839835650.png (150 KB, 318x350) Image search: [Google]
1467839835650.png
150 KB, 318x350
>>345075008
>Not just the video games themselves but the entire industry.
Yes.

>Even the way you feel when you think about them. Or play them.
No.

In fact it is because I don't view them any differently that has given me such a negative outlook on the industry (and even newer games) today.

Me playing Mario 64 for the first time
>"Woah, this feels weird! I'm going to climb some trees and jump around to get used to this, feels like riding a bike for the first time"
>"Oh, look over there, I wonder what's over there!"
>"Oh this is neat, it's a puzzle/part of another star quest! I'm going to try and do it now because it looks fun"
>"don't have enough stars to go forward yet, guess I'll go down in this corner to see... is that a pirate ship stage?"
>"I guess I'll just dive down OH GOD DO NOT WANT"
>play game non stop throughout the month until acquiring all 120 stars

Me playing Uncharted 2 for the first time.
>cinematic
>Start in a train car that is in the process of falling
>"Oh hey, this is pretty co-"
>it's just context sensitive button presses with a wobbly camera and then walking down a tilted hall
>"oh.. well, the snow is pretty, I guess."
>another cinematic
>now walking around
>clunky Tomb Raider inspired combat
>more walking + stealth
>turn game off

Uncharted 2 might not be the most current game, but it's a good example of what happens more often than not today. That's not to say Nintendo is great right now. Their games before weren't great because "they were Nintendo", they were great because they had a good pace and a good balance of fun and challenge. A lot of old Playstation and Sega games that did this as well, not trying to start console war shit.
That's not to say I'm lost in nostalgia and can't enjoy new things. The last time I had genuine fun with a new game was playing Bloodborne and retardedly hard Mario Maker stages. Haven't tried Witcher 3 or Dark Souls 3 yet, but that's next on my list.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzJ9Fpudzs
>>
>>345075418
Indie games are not only like wading through an open sewer looking for gold, but when you do find something worth playing, it has 2 hours of content because they couldn't afford to make a longer game working out of their mom's basement.

When I think about how for the price of a single AAA title, we could have a hundred PS1 games, I want to die. Improving graphics have come at the cost of complete stagnation at best, dumbed down trash at worst.

And I don't want to play your shitty 2D indie rougelikelike sidescroller. I own a fucking SNES and MD, and I can play actual competent games that don't have NES tier graphics for aesthetics while ignoring tile and pallet limits.

What used to be a dozen great games a year, has become maybe 2 or 3 games worth playing a generation.
>>
>>345076887
Basically agreeing with this guy.

There's been far too much focus on the spectacle, that there's very little gameplay in many games lately. This applies most to AAA titles and hot sellers in general - Nintendo and indies are about all that still has substancial gameplay, but as we all know by now they have issues of their own.

At the risk of sounding like a cliché /v/ contrarian hipster, I feel the only explanation for this shift in videogame priority is due to increasing popularity of the medium among those previously ignorant to it. Has anyone seen game sales for the PS4, for example? Games like COD and Fifa selling gangbusters, yet all its exclusive titles andanything more original rarely pass even 2mil. I reckon that in the PS4's specific case too many were buying into the hype (evident by it's smash-hit preorder sales, most made just to spite Microsoft's retarded E3 Xbone reveal), I'd say this (among some other factors I'm too lazy to go into) is a key element for why this gen is so shit.
>>
>>345080221
We have always had shitty sports games, and they've always sold well.

The issue is not, nor has it ever been, the popularity of the medium. That might have lead to some dumbing down of titles to appeal to American tastes of "I don't like being told I suck", but those games were never going to be good.

The issue is finance, plain and simple. Nobody is investing millions of dollars and multiple years on anything even slightly risky, because they probably won't make their money back, and they'll go bust. All the companies that have tried that were wiped out in the last gen.
>>
>>345076471
>being this triggered
>>
>>345081042
Did you miss the fact the good titles aren't selling at all, though?

Compared to previous generations, or even compared to Nintendo in current gen (despite how shitly the Wii U has sold), the games on PS4 are selling badly, only dudebro stuff like the aforementioned COD/Fifa is actually selling in high numbers. Bloodborne, for example, barely managed to pass 2 million, despite many feeling it's one of the system's best titles.
>>
>>345075008
A couple of days ago. Some depressing anon posted this in a similar thread.

Only in Constraints and limitations that creativity and originality can blossoms.

Internet gave unlimited knowledge access but with all those informations people lost their inquisitiveness.

Optical drive and fansy hardwares, controllers with 15 to 16 buttons. motion controllers give us dull visuals and long dialogues and cinematic. and the simple but deep gameplay . changed into pressing the colored buttons on screen to watch a cinematic or wiggling to do mondain action like brushing teeth.

limited movement in space on old FPS give us complex maps. Now we can look in all direction but the movement is limited to an invisible corridor.

More visuals and complex scenario and cinematic and voice acting take a lot of space on the final products and cost more money so producers need to cater theirs games to wider range of people. So more cinematic experience shorter and less harder games.
So mr and mme everybody would not feel frustrated and more marketing to touch even more people.

The logic say a game should never cost 500 millions. it's just an aberration.
>>
>>345075482
"YOU WILL COME"
"YOUR NUTS WILL QUAKE"
>>
File: mde-sam.jpg (31 KB, 699x363) Image search: [Google]
mde-sam.jpg
31 KB, 699x363
>>
>>345076887
Then play games like Mario 64, you stupid retard. I don't play Madden and expect to get hockey. Comparing your enjoyment of a 3D platformer to a cinematic third person shooter makes me believe you're just looking for reasons to be disappointed.
>>
Why are there no video games that encourage accepting Jesus Christ into one's life?
>>
I blame normies
>>
>>345080221
>that there's very little gameplay in many games lately
Any examples, besides nit picking?
>>
File: noah.png (10 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
noah.png
10 KB, 300x200
>>345082148
I dunno about Jesus games specifically but there are Bible games out there
>>
>>345076887
>games today
>uncharted 2 7 years ago
pick one.
>>
>>345082153
That depends, what would count as nitpicking, especially when this comes down to opinion anyway over what constitutes as gameplay.
>>
>>345082148

Im not even religious but the lack of Christian media in general is fucking bullshit. It's either a really bad kids game or a christian-themed highschool football feel good movie.
>>
>>345082148
I play vidya while watching nobodytm on my 2nd monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKv1EoLqT8Y
>>
>>345082383
So Christians should make better things? Isn't this the exact same argument butt blasted feminists make?
>>
>>345082108
>Missing the point
I'm going by what the market was flooded with at the time. Back then, things like Mario 64 were the norm. Now, Uncharted is. These were examples of common game development for their times; and the latter is terrible when compared to the former.

>Then play games like Mario 64
Yeah because that's how videogame work, right? We can just keep playing the same game over and over once an entier genre dies and still be happy. Just like we can watch a single movie forever and never need to see another.
And yeah I know about Yooka-Laylee, but that just emphasises my point about how crappy things have got. We have to crowdfund games that just want to be fun, because the industry won't make them anymore.
>>
PlayStation games have aged quite well in terms of content and playability. Nothing like today.

Final fantasy 8
Resident evil 3
Gex

Mobile gaming will begin to push those titles to new generations and they will see the beauty of what I used to play as a kid.
Also programmers where limited back then and had to improvise to save space. Today, it's laziness and incomplete games but I guess that's the market for today anyways. Sucks.
>>
File: 1364902507433.jpg (115 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1364902507433.jpg
115 KB, 435x435
>you are now aware that the 90's will not happen again
>you are now aware about the SNES, PS1 and N64 times not coming back
>you are now aware that in 4 years you will be too old to play videogames
>it doesn't matter because there will be no good videogames eitherways

The last time I was excited about a game was when Tree of Savior was released.
Never again.
>>
>>345082957
>>Mobile gaming will begin to push those titles to new generations and they will see the beauty of what I used to play as a kid.
No, because they're restricted to awful touch screen controls. A kid today would play RE for 2 seconds before getting annoyed at tank controls and quit. FF takes too long to get going, not good enough for the instant gratification generation. And none of them will get the references in Gex, making the game pointless.
>>
>>345083039
>>The last time I was excited about a game was when Tree of Savior was released.
You were doing alright until here. Well, pretending that the N64 was good was a little iffy.
>>
>>345082617
>We can just keep playing the same game over and over once an entier genre dies and still be happy
Considering how much you're whining, it seems like that's what you want. Games as good as Mario 64 are rare. Back then, for every good platformer, there was 10 mediocre ones in its shadow. You have to realize that tastes change over time. YOU may want more colorful, kiddy platformers but that's not what the majority want. And for those who want more than you're average AAA game, you either look for Nintendo or indie titles. The choice is still there, but you're focusing on what you find negative. Basically, you're acting like a fucking faggot.
>>
>>345083039
How old is too old to play video games?
>>
Pokemon Go is the first game in a long time where I get to gush about it with people IRL and go places.
Last game that made me feel this way was Tamagotchi.
Yes it may be smartphone trash but I honestly feel like a kid who enjoys video games again.
>>
>>345083127
But its true. It was supposed to be "RO's successor" and it ended up being your generic MMORPG with microtransactions.
>>345083245
I don't know man, Im 21 and I feel disconnected from the industry, I shiver to think how thinks will be in 4 years.
>>
>>345075008
All the people with talent and money are making generic boring crap
The industry has gotten lame
>>
Reminder that you can always go back and play old games, games don't age. If it's shit now then it was always shit.
>>
File: xrgb.jpg (48 KB, 794x429) Image search: [Google]
xrgb.jpg
48 KB, 794x429
>>345083039
Dunno what you're talking about, feels like getting into it all over again for me. In fact, all these games now look better than they ever did when I was a kid. Also got a bud who is 7 years younger then me to try SotN and the NES Mega Man games for the first time. Watching him stream them was like experiencing it for the first time myself.

90s feels alive and well here.
>>
>>345083345
>>345083347
You are lying to yourselves, anons.
It's not a matter of the game's age, but of how have you grown.
I play digimon world 1 at least once a year and I love to play SNES titles but as time goes by I find those games to not give me the same feelings.
You can't expect to enjoy something forever.
>>
>>345083347
>XRGB meme
Buy a fucking CRT, you stupid cunt.
>>
>>345083164
Not him, but how is anything he said invalid? He doesn't like current popular trends (which have been present for about 10 years now), and misses not just genres but game design principles of yesteryear. That's not unreasonable, at worst it could be said to be a bit contrarian but in honesty I agree with his points.
>>
File: 1422649693545.gif (3 MB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
1422649693545.gif
3 MB, 240x135
>we live in a time where you have to actually donate money for indie developers to create a game
>20 years ago "indie" developers just worked their asses off to make a game and took the gamble of releasing it not knowing if it was going to be a success

The internet was a mistake.
>>
>>345083530
He can like what he wants, but he shouldn't act like a blind retard and ignore modern games that adhere to classic video game formulas. There's still a ton of games out there to enjoy if you were one of those "90s kids". The problem that most of these kids have, though, is that they're often blinded by nostalgia. Do I blame them? Not exactly, but I'd just suggest to learn how to widen your perception a little bit.
>>
>>345083054
OK maybe you are right.

However Android apks are limited to small sizes for the user. This makes the point about programming improvisation true for a new generation. Mobile gaming is the future or at least simplicity is.
>>
>>345075962
I'm playing Digimon Cyber Sleuth and I'm having more fun than with any AAA game I've played in the last 8 years.
>>
>>345083809
Dude I also enjoy platformers, but not for nostalgia as I didn't like the genre at its peak. Stop assuming things man. There's very little options for platformers as indie ones I've tried sucked, and Nintendo's...not in the best state. It's not just platformers either, I've seen a huge decline in racing games (both racing sims and arcade/kart racers), puzzle games, and non-RPG adventure games - instead, open-world "you can do anything" games and cover shooters dominate the market, and have been doing for a long-ass time.
>>
>>345083285
I think it's the being outside part that helps. And also chemtrails fucking you up a little. But anyway it's like that feeling when you were a kid and it's a nice breeze and recess or after school hangouts running around or riding bikes with a huge group of kids that you are acquainted with.
>>
>>345084115
>There's very little options for platformers as indie ones I've tried sucked
Which ones have you tried?
>>
>>345083990
Mobile gaming is an absolute cancer, and the hardware is even stupider than console generations. We're already past PS2 level on phones, and you're expecting simplicity?

Without any real standardized control scheme, and given every game is free with microtransactions, all that can grow in such salted earth are cancerous weeds based around basic pop psychology. Reel them in, then make them pay a few dollars to skip waiting for their next fix.

You only have to take a single look at the most popular games to see that. Nothing as interesting as pong will ever come out of the mobile market, and the idea of a new tetris is completely laughable.
>>
>>345084248
Hey, Summoners War is pretty fun for a mobile game, and honestly is the best grinding simulator to play atm.
Comfy, can auto your dungeon runs, nice art style...
>>
>>345084385
>pretty fun for a mobile game
Here's the problem. Fun for a mobile game is literal dogshit compared to any real game.
>>
>>345084217
SMB, Shovel Knight (this one didn't suck by any means, but I'm not sure what all the hype was about), Guacamelee, Braid, Fez, can't remember what else.
>>
>>345084434
It doesn't have to. I mean, there are good and bad in every platform.
I honestly enjoy a game of Plague a lot more than Uncharted/TLOU/Until Dawn.
So we could say it's a matter of choice and preference.
>>
>>345075008
You know I flipflop from contemporary games to emulated ones, and you're really just one of the "everything was better when I was 12" crowd.
>>
>>345075008
Are you really surprised that an industry is different than what it was 20 years ago?

every industry changes year on year. Of course video games have. And they'll change again.

Right now is a bit of a weird place, big publishers lost faith in AAA titles at the end of the 360/ps3 lifespan, so there weren't really any in development for ps4/xbone, then the witcher happened and renewed all faith in big titles like that. (Publishers are morons and didn't think "well we've just had a really long generation, maybe people are saving money for the new consoles they know are coming out soon") later this year and the start of next year hopefully we can start seeing a proper return to form.
>>
>>345084248
Aren't dlc microtransactions too. AAA titles do that.
>>
File: 1364443233072.gif (925 KB, 212x176) Image search: [Google]
1364443233072.gif
925 KB, 212x176
>>345084817
>60 dollarydoos
>micro
>>
>le AAA is le evil!!!
Yeah, except that several great AAA games have come out this year and the last, bandwagoning faggots
>>
>>345086038
Such as?

Also nobody is claiming all AAA games, even recently, are bad - just that current trends aren't to their liking. There's no need to go full autismo over that.
>>
>>345076887
This. As much as Souls gets shit nowadays I can still vividly remember being sucked into the game world in DaS1, because so little of it was automated, I was in full control of my character, I explored the environment, I wasn't watching cutscenes constantly, I was back to being a child, totally involved in the game I was playing.
>>
>>345083514
>looks better then playing on a CRT
>no noticeable lag if you have a good TV
>going to last longer than any current CRT, given that they are all old and on their way out (sooner than later)

Don't see the problem?
>>
>>345086420
Witcher 3, MGSV, Bloodborne, DaS3, Xcom 2, Doom, AAA is great

>Also nobody is claiming all AAA games, even recently, are bad
>games today are nothing like when I was 12!!
>I'll never get excited for a AAA game again!
>>
>>345086712
Those all mostly threw off the cinematic crap, TW3 gets let off a little given that was their clear focus but at least with TW3 the "cinematic" element is mostly just dialogue.
>>
>>345075008
>Video games are supposed to be fun, so why does it feel like I've just 'escaped' from them?
You stopped playing fun games, obviously.

It's not as though fun games stopped being made.

You just stopped playing them.

Get better taste and report back.
>>
>>345086712
Who are you quoting?

Anyway, I personally only really liked Bloodborne out of all those, since I prefer games focused on gameplay/mechanics above all else.
>>
>>345086818
Which proves that not every AAA game is Uncharted
>>
>>345086934
Nobody said they were?
Uncharted was used as an example by some anon earlier in the thread, but in context they meant it as an example of the worst rather than a sweeping statement that all AAA games are that way. Stop with the black and white mentality already, people's viewpoints are rarely that straightforward.>>345086934
>>
>>345083289
>Im 21 and I feel disconnected from the industry
I'm 22 and you're full of shit.

Play better games. There's loads of them.
Fucking this current year right now is full of them. So many good games have already come out and more are on the way.

Go back in the past and pick up the hidden gems and the games you just plain missed.

Branch out and look for things that aren't the biggest hypest AAA titles

You have options. Use them.
>>
>>345075008
Man I think you never liked games, your itty bitty child brain was just susceptible to stimulus and you're pining for the days where you were a fucking moron.
>>
>>345086896
>I prefer games focused on gameplay/mechanics above all else.
And all of them except Witcher 3 are exactly that, have you even heard of them before?

>Who are you quoting
I think it might be...people in the thread???
>>
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/20637/morgan-minute-bored-or-jaded/

>2008
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 114x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 114x125
>"Am I too old for these new games, /v/? Let's circle jerk each other about how jaded and burnt our we are"

Wash, rinse, repeat.
>>
>>345087062
>What is hyperbole
Stop taking everything literally you autist
>>
>>345083347
Does that add any input delay?
>>
What games have you tried recently, OP?
>>
>>345075008
It's not you, video games are worse. The ps2 was the last good console and everything has just gotten worse. Only indies can save us now.
>>
File: 1444000980808.jpg (11 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1444000980808.jpg
11 KB, 236x236
>>345082957
>Gex
>>
>>345087319
You first
>>
>>345088092
>y-y-y-y-y-yy-yoo-yuh-y-y-youuu f--f-ff-fuhhh-fuhfuhfffff-f-f-firshhht....
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH
Fucking KILL YOURSELF ahahahhHAHAHAH
>>
>>345088218
Are you ok
>>
>>345088481
...yES???
>>
>>345088556
It's time to take a break from /v/
>>
>>345088659
You first
>>
I know that feel. I'm betting on Nier Automata because it looks to have that game feel. I bet Bloodborne prior.

Its probably because a lot of games today are using Unity and Unreal Engine. And the games made from them have one exact type of aesthetic in them.

Man even RTS feel less game-y today and more cinematic. Sage Engine running C&C Generals felt so video games.
>>
>>345088708
I only just got on here today, but your mental breakdown suggests you may have been on all night.
>>
>>345088840
Are you ok
>>
>>345082617

>Back then, things like Mario 64 were the norm.

In terms of quality, no.
>>
>>345088924
I'm hungry, but otherwise yeah.
>>
File: 1458562275465.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458562275465.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
>mfw this thread
>>
>>345089108
It's time to take a break from /v/...to eat some lunch :-)
>>
You're just jaded. Take a break from vidya, I felt the same way and I'm having a lot more fun playing pretty much anything after having a break for a few months.
>>
>>345089164
I'd rather play more vidya whilst idly browsing /v/
>>
>>345089272
>I am too poor to eat so I waste all my time sitting on my ass, gimme more of your tax money so I can buy hotpockets
Get a job you fucking fuckhead
>>
>>345089341
>projecting this hard
I have an eating disorder, okay?
>>
>>345089440
>being a tranny
I win
>>
>>345089525
Wut.

Is this why you keep replying?
You're THAT butthurt about a relatively calm civil discussion about vidya preferensces?
>>
>>345083695
The internet is the best thing to happen to vidya. We get video games just by complaining on it.
>>
File: 1456517819093.png (250 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1456517819093.png
250 KB, 512x384
>>345089607
>being a tranny
>>
>>345089685
If it makes you happy, anon
>>
File: 1455796098410.jpg (14 KB, 301x307) Image search: [Google]
1455796098410.jpg
14 KB, 301x307
>>345089806
>being
>a
>tranny
>>
>>345090102
Ya going somehwere with this?
>>
asd
>>
File: 1444428827888.jpg (43 KB, 360x609) Image search: [Google]
1444428827888.jpg
43 KB, 360x609
>>345090251
shut up transcuck
>>
>>345075008
>Do video games feel different now to anybody else?
Yep, games are shit these days, all of them, mostly.

"AAA" is cancer, and indies nowadays are all trying to become a part of it.

Where are those days when we got games like Super Meat Boy or Amnesia from indie devs?
>>
>>345090345
So lemme get this straight, you are so buttflustered that you had to pretend I'm a tranny just so you can shitpost about that instead?
Cool, I made someanon mad without even trying.
>>
>>345090350
>all of them, mostly
Make your mind up.
>>
>>345088556
>Uses excessive question marks at the end of a simple statement
>capitalizes everything except the first letter of the word
>Uses ellipses

This is how a teenage girl/Tumblr level college age girl writes and either way you need to stop posting and either lurk more or get off of /v/. You are literally the cancer of this board, your writing style says so immediately.
>>
>>345091157
That's some fucking autism right there.
>>
>>345091243
>Gets called out
>"AUTISM"

Generic meaningless /v/ buzzword replies aren't changing the fact that you type like the ultimate underage normie, and therefore either are one or should learn to post like you're not a child.
>>
File: smug nigger sheep.jpg (14 KB, 218x278) Image search: [Google]
smug nigger sheep.jpg
14 KB, 218x278
>>345091157
>capitalizes everything except the first letter of the word
He didnt capitalize the question marks OR the periods, mother fucker.
>>
Mods delete thread now please, its hit the final stage of being shit: flame wars erupting over things that aren't about video games.
>>
>>345091658
What? All you did was a buzzword reply, but with 10x more autism.

You wrote that much shit about a one word post with ellipses. That's fucking autism.
>>
>>345091658
hOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT UDNERSTAND THAT WHEN PEEOPLE TYPE LIKE TIHS ITS A JOKE????////
>>
>>345093609
o_o;
>>
File: 1467085987631.gif (720 KB, 360x420) Image search: [Google]
1467085987631.gif
720 KB, 360x420
Video games are impartial. They haven't changed.

All that's happened is that you've let the community warp the way your mind treats video games.

Distance yourself from places like /v/, where you're assaulted by non stop twitter captions, and just go play some games.

Avoid games you know you don't enjoy, and focus on playing things you've always wanted to or are looking forward to.

They're still there, just as you remembered them. It's you who needs to go back, OP.
>>
>>345075008
It's called getting older.
>>
>>345095560
Not OP but where the fuck are all the good racing games and platfotmers these days? Feels like they're becoming incredibly rare.
>>
>>345075008

All the cool japanese dev are either dead or westernized so of course modern gaming sucks

But don't tell anyone otherwise you will get retard like >>345096767
>>
>>345087389
>Does that add any input delay?

About 23ms. Connect it to a computer monitor and you won't notice any, and the same goes for a good HDTV with a game mode or other low processing options.
>>
>>345096849
This post made me realize how much I miss Burnout 3.
>>
>>345075008
>MDE
fuck off hyde
>>
>>345075008
Yes, what happend was that during the PS2 days, game devs realized the importance of "game feel", which basically means how good a game feels. In the older days, for a game to "feel good" and have awesome set pieces, they had to create gameplay that accomodated for that, but then people realized that they could create set pieces that broke the gameplay flow and remove the pre-established gameplay for a while, making it easier to make a good "game feel".

For exemple, in DMC3, Dante does a really cool move on a cutscene where he jump atop an enemy and rides him like a skateboard, and in the actual gameplay, he can do the exact same thing. But in God of War, Kratos does all these cool moves during the QTEs that look cool and feel good to pull off, but you can do them in the actual gameplay. The game devs placed a quick good feeling moment over more complex gameplay that would help them help them create more frequent moments of nice game feel.
>>
Gaming has changed so much over the years dlc/season pass
Pre order
Yearly games
Alpha/closed beta/open betas
Online multiplayer being put into everything
Pro gaming
Im 35 and been playing since i was 4 i enjoy my hobby everyday, being a geek these days is expensive and in alot of cases we get let down but u must remember they are games for fun if you get pissed at it walk away don't let it get to you
>>
File: why.png (10 KB, 405x344) Image search: [Google]
why.png
10 KB, 405x344
>>345082308
>uncharted 2 came out seven years ago
>>
File: 1445825502556.png (531 KB, 882x1165) Image search: [Google]
1445825502556.png
531 KB, 882x1165
A good, ambitiously large scale, and complex mech sim is impossible to make in 2016.
>>
>>345083245
I'm 29 and I'm still enjoying a lot of game from gen4 to gen8. I'm currently playing Dynasty Warriors series and played the shit out of 5 in the past months and I'm starting 6 and after that 6 Empires. Also I'm grindin drakengard weapons as well.

I think using videogames as a hobby does the trick. Getting home after a hard day of work turning the phone off and grind one or two hours really makes you like the vydia.
>>
File: 1401328801548.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1401328801548.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
>halo CE came out 15 years ago
>halo 2 came out 12 years ago
>halo 3 came out 9 years ago
>halo wars came out 7 years ago
>halo reach came out 6 years ago

>halo 4 came out 4 years ago
>>
File: 1451113012020.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451113012020.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
>DmC Devil May Cry
>Itsuno will never make another DMC game for Capcom
>Western market ruining classic/traditional style
>Capcom selling on disk DLC
>Capcom going to shit. SHIT.
>Women complaining about virtual women
>Women running the industry
>I'm stuck playing games of the yesteryear because nothing appeals to me
>Platinum games can't make an action game better than the first Bayonetta
I'M STILL DREAMING, IT'S ONLY A DREAM, RIGHT!?!? RIGHT!?!?!?!

As someone who meaned action games... I really hate you younger kids. You ruined everything for me. Now all we get is QTE combat in every fucking game. No one is interested in depth anymore because cinematic QTEs make millions of dollars.

The only thing I have left is Korean action MMOs since the Western audience doesn't play them. Thus action combat there will continue to get better and better in time.

Such an unfair world we live in.
>>
>>345101615
reminder to enjoy yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hI0qMtdfng
>>
>>345076887
Tfw when playin mario 64 at a walmart kiosk and having the lady working tell me "if those invisible wars werent there you could go anywhere in the world...even your own home" my friend and i still repeat this all the time 20 years later.
>>
>>345098534
I think you're onto something here. Games in the past seemed to be much more about what you could do as the player. The cool "cinematic" action was all driven by your actions in the gameplay, and how skilled you were at the mechanics to pull cool shit off. Games that allowed you to do cool things by stringing different actions together made you feel awesome for being good at the game, whereas now those cool things are short cinematics that the most unskilled players can get by pushing X when the button icon appears on-screen.

Basically the rise of QTEs and "muh cinematic experience" enabled people who suck at video games to experience the same feelings that make people who took the time to get good at them like them, bringing in a broader audience at the cost of more shallow gameplay.
>>
>>345100781
Actually, Wars came out eight years ago. 2009 was ODST.
>>
File: 2309420398490243.jpg (315 KB, 2218x850) Image search: [Google]
2309420398490243.jpg
315 KB, 2218x850
>>345075008
today we eat expensive junk food.
>>
>>345079846
This.
>>
>>345108216

games cost less than ever before, accessibility has never been higher and gaming has never been easier
>>
It's weird to think that stuff as unforgiving as Resident Evil 1, or even Tomb Raider were among the PS1 library's top selling games.
>>
>>345075008
I feel what youre saying anon. For me its different. Years ago (almost 20 now, holy fuck) I had a very wide range of games i liked. One day it would be janes f-15 and homeworld. Then it would be RE3 and crash bandicoot. One day it would rainbow six and half-life, the next would be tekken and jet moto. I still follow a similar pattern its just way more condensed. Of course i work 40-60 hours a week now, but there is a noticeable change in the philosophy of game making that im not liking . I dont what exactly but i can feel it. But even now on my day off ive played assetto corsa, RB6 siege, and DCS (i wake up early as shit).
>>
>>345075008
You are not a kid anymore
>>
>>345109220
Not any weirder than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne being among the PS4's top-selling games.
>>
>>345075008
For the most part people have noticed this even non-AAA games are falling down rapidly quality wise.
>>
>>345108630
>games cost less than ever before
Games cost $80 dollars now
>>
File: skod.jpg (7 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
skod.jpg
7 KB, 128x128
>>345090251
>tranny
wew
>>
>>345082108
>want to play adventure game with lots of exploring
>play game that gets marketed as adventure game with exploring
>get yelled at by retards that are overly defensive
>>
>>345075008
no.
>>
>>345095560
>they haven't changed
spotted the underage
Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.