[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most effective sniper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 443x332
Decide
>>
>>345072031
i dont wanna fuck the asian one so
>>
>>345072031
>snipers
>effective
Pick one

Never seen a class who is so devoided in pursuing the objective, yet the most effective counter to it is another sniper.
>>
Widowmaker simply because i'm sick of 2 people always instalocking Hanzo on Attack.
>>
Widow is garbage after the nerfs.

Hanzo is fairly strong due to the large hitboxes.

Ana will outclass both of them because of her stun, her healing output and her ultimate being one of the strongest in the entire game.
>>
Widow if you're really good as her(0.1% of players)
Hanzo if you're not, which then you should be playing another character anyways.
>>
the best sniper right now it's actually Zenyatta
>>
>>345072331
>due to the large hitboxes
Gonna get fixed in the new patch.

So, among 2 nerfed useless snipers, which is the less useless?
>>
>>345072560
McCree is better than both of them, provided you can aim.
>>
>>345072560

Its hard to classify because snipers are directly as good or as bad as the player. But to objectively compare, I guess you could say that a Widow that never misses would be stronger than a Hanzo that never misses. A chunk of that is due to the fact that Widow's ult is always useful compared to Hanzo's.
>>
>>345072748
>Widow's ult is always useful compared to Hanzo's
But hanzo's can be great when combo with others.
It's also useful when pushing payload and your team require that last 1.0 meter push
>>
>>345072896

What you said isn't wrong, but it doesn't disprove my statement.
>>
Assuming PTR mccree makes it into live, he's going to be the best sniper in the game.
>>
>>345073069
he got buffed?
>>
>>345072560
In sniping Hanzo due to high base damage and multiple tools to aid himself in taking out targets.
Overall it would be Widowmaker due to her SMG and mines allowing her to participate in small skirmishes or self defense, an ultimate that can provide team with valuable map awareness and can still take out targets from longer distances.
>>
>>345073146
not that anon, but.
Mccree went to 2 nerf
first reducing the damages on far distance, since his damage is too high.
second reducing his damages.
Which causes the first nerf became even worse nerf.
Now they are gonna remove the first nerf since it doesn't make sense anymore.
>>
>>345072031
Ana
>>
>>345072331
>can reliably one-shot 16 of the 21 (soon 17 of 22) heroes anywhere in her LoS from any range except melee once per 1.5 seconds
>garbage

You havin' a shitpost, mate?
>>
>>345072896
A lot of ults combo with other ults. Tracer, Reaper, Parah, etc can do the same thing off a gravity well while also being more useful in general.
>>
I dont even play overwatch but isnt the better character determined by not only the makeup of your team but the makeup and skill of the other? Widow might be the best hero ever made but if there is a determined counter on your dick then hanzo would be better even if its the more mediocre class. But fuck if i know.
>>
>>345072169
A good sniper is effective at locking down an area and denying progress, the issue is that most people aren't good snipers.
>>
>>345073146
Mccree now has damage fall off comparable with meis icicle for single shot, so he can snipe at medium ranges.
>>
>>345072546
>Implying
He already got a nerf, plus his orb of destruction is a projectile. And with the recent hit-box fix, projectiles are not that effective at long range.
>>
>>345074104
Orb of destruction got a 3x speed boost though
>>
People are going to flock away from Hanzo now that the hitboxes were fixed and they can't get stupid bullshit headshots
>>
>>345073146
He's got S76 range now, Blizzard said that they wanted them both to be able to engage at the same range.
>>
>>345074227
That was orb of discord, not orb of destruction. Orb of discord is the debuff.
>>
>>345072560
Nice source faggot
>>
>>345074458
There a video that shows the fix, don't know what its called though. Just look up Overwatch hitscan fix on youtube
>>
>>345073474
That's the idea, but it's a bit more complicated when it comes to Widowmaker because she can destroy all of her practical counters except one, and that one is special because he doesn't directly eliminate her but has a large shield that provides his allies with safety from her in many situations. There IS another hero who can easily reach Widow with his mobility and is often regarded as her hard counter, but she can consistently kill him on his approach, so the only way that hero is effective against her is if there's two of them and they coordinate to insta-gib her, but that tactic is suicide for both of them, so you're just turning it into a 4v5. The best way to kill WM is with a better WM, and if you don't have one of those you're SOL.

>>345074458
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuM1caVhDHQ
>>
how were the hitboxes "fixed"?

im playing on ptr and its still the same mess of a game.
>>
>>345073576
People who are effective at snipers are better utilized in other classes, particularly dps classes
>>
>>345074841
Some people have reported a slight reduction in head hotboxes on the training ground dummies
>>
File: dragons.jpg (256 KB, 448x458) Image search: [Google]
dragons.jpg
256 KB, 448x458
Hanzo, atleast they go to point for Overtime, have seen countless of Widows who just stand near point when everyone else is dead and lose because of it.
>>
>>345074939
widowmaker deals with pharah the best of all classes though
>>
>>345074684

So the other team busts out a counter sniper, then you switch from sniper 2 whatever and hide behind the shield turning again into 4v5 in those situations.

I played the beta a bit so i got the jist of the game, cant remember peoples names tho, but it seems constantly switching heroes is the best move. But everyone wants a main. Can people switch in competitive mode or does it lock you in for the round? I know theres only 1 of each hero.
>>
>>345074939

Hardly true in every context. If played well in the right scenario they can shut down multiple players instantly without ult and at a safe distance at that.
>>
>>345075061
The sniper typically lure people who want a high KD ratio. While confident in their quick aim to carry them through

It works well for games with TDM where the goal is killing the enemy more times than they kill you. It doesn't translate to success in matches in Overwatch.
>>
>>345075136
So does S76.

Besides, Widow's effectiveness is reflected by where the enemy is in relation to which corner she decides to camp in.

Meanwhile S76 is usually at the frontlines dishing pain and dispensing heals
>>
>>345072097
Then you have shit tastes
>>
the snipers get fucked hard by this coming patch. every buff to someone else is like another nail in their coffin.
>>
>>345075457
I'm not saying that widowmaker is a super amazing character or anything, but she can instantly kill pharah

A high skill widowmaker would be a useful and viable character for most maps
>>
>>345075154
You can switch freely, and the unique heroes feature is only available on the test server right now.

You're right, a huge part of the game is switching to the appropriate tool for the job. The game is more concerned with team comp, positioning, strategy, etc than individual technical skill, which has relatively little value. And this does work for the most part, but like I said it's clumsy with WM because of how she interacts with her counters. Rather than having "hard" counters like Mcree or Roadhog being able to stun and insta-gib highly mobile heroes, her counters simply have an easier time working around her, and they're situational to a fault; there are maps that the shield guy doesn't work on at all, so you need to resort to the double-suicide tactic or, preferably, avoid the map altogether (which is what they do in comp, since there's no counter-play available at the moment). Mind you, this doesn't really matter in low level play because in pubs you have people with outstandingly poor technical skill, but it's really glaring at higher levels.
>>
File: 1456102612280.jpg (93 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1456102612280.jpg
93 KB, 620x670
>>345075136
Once McCree gets his left click range falloff buff, Pharah is going to see a sharp decline in use and overall effectiveness.

>mfw stupid flybitch goes down in 3 bodyshots from full hp instead of 5
>mfw there is now an actual counter for wingcunt dominance on koth
>mfw i'm going to main McCree just to spite all the rocketwhores

It's gonna be amazing.
>>
File: 1429815991154.jpg (64 KB, 600x525) Image search: [Google]
1429815991154.jpg
64 KB, 600x525
>you lived to see windowlicker fall to F tier

what a time
>>
widowmaker

i'm not very good with her but not only does her primary weapon charge faster and do more damage, but it doesn't take time to travel like hanzo's arrows. hanzo's sonic arrow and widowmaker's infra sight provide the same buff however hanzo's is confined to range the arrow is left in or the target it hits. if you're decent enough with widowmaker you can get your ult up in 4 headshots. sonic arrow has an extreme cooldown and in order to utilize it fully you have to make sure you hit your mark and have it last so you and your team can utilize it.

when widowmaker is engaged in close range it's very difficult for her to take out her attackers unless she has extreme awareness of her methods of escape with use of her grappling hook and venom mine, or is just has amazing aim. hanzo has more options with his passive wall climb and scatter arrow being able to cover him in confined areas where snipers usually would be.

hanzo's ult is far more useful offensively than widowmaker's. it provides area denial while dealing massive damage to those it hits. widowmaker really needs their team to be on top of the game and just not dead in order to use it fully.

i could go on, but if the question is who is a better 'sniper', widowmaker fits the bill. hanzo is more of a mid range sniper, his usefulness falters at longer ranges where widowmaker doesn't have to worry how fast her bullets travel. hanzo provides good utility with his sonic arrow at longer ranges giving his team an upper hand without having to wait to charge his ult.

they're very different heroes, widowmaker pretty much requires you to have good aim where hanzo is a bit more lenient just for his abilities. but again, widowmaker is the better sniper.
>>
KEKED BY DA DRAGON
>>
I only played the beta, but snipers seemed really useless in Overwatch, especially on attack.
>>
File: Vhd0Wc2.jpg (559 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Vhd0Wc2.jpg
559 KB, 1920x1080
>>345075781
Your knowledge of competitive play is dated. The nerfs to Mcree's tank-killing have led to the rise of double Winston to counter Widow, because only one Winston has to die now, and if the jump is well-placed you can deal hefty damage to multiple middling-health characters. Winston's jump is 50 damage, and he does 50 DPS with his gun, so you'll instantly do 200 damage to everyone you land on. You don't even have to jump on Widow for this if you can wipe out 2-3 people this way. Widow isn't going to wipe your team by herself with no frontline, and the disruption of the jump allows room for Winstons' team to push in with a significant health advantage. That's why Widowmaker is F tier now. She also can't deal with Reinhardt anymore which is pretty big on payload maps.
>>
>>345072031
One is a sniper, the other is a retard that endlessly spams arrows around corners in the hopes of his tree trunk hitbox arrows get someone in the head. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 good hanzo players.
>>
File: RAGE_OF_ETERNAL_HATE_AND_ANGER.gif (104 KB, 300x136) Image search: [Google]
RAGE_OF_ETERNAL_HATE_AND_ANGER.gif
104 KB, 300x136
>when enemy plays mercy they rez their whole team every 30 seconds and the mercy is untouchable
>when i play mercy my team scatters as far as possible so that i never get a chance to do a meaningful ult and nobody pays attention to the genjis, winstons and tracers that harass me the entire game
>>
>>345074684
>she can destroy all of her practical counters
>genji can e and make her kill herself, also can reach her anywhere and easily flank kill her
>reaper can rip her to shreds in 2 shots, also has teleport which can get him anywhere she can go
>tracer annihilates her easily, but she can climb where tracer cant so she's got an advantage there
>winston can just jump to her and hold lmb
>dva can do the same
Don't know about Ana I didn't play her yet. Suffice to say she's very easy to notice because she's generally the ONLY hero that would stand still. I've never seen a Widow that was a problem, only a minor annoyance if I'm not a flanker.
>>
Most effective sniper is definitely Widow. Scope and hitscan give her an edge over Hanzo, and grappling hook allows her to quickly reposition to get the right angles while Hanzo has to walk.

Most effective hero, however, goes to Hanzo. Widow can be hard countered by several things, and is really only good for one thing. Hanzo has less counters, and is much more versatile.
Sniping, tank-chunking, free wallhacks that aren't announced to the entire universe, and an ult that combos with other heroes like no other. He's basically the mario of Overwatch.
>>
>>345075817
McReee is rare though
>>
>>345078205
Because his LMB is mediocre right now.
It's going to be a pocket sniper after the patch hits. He'll deal 70-60 dmg a bodyshot at most ranges instead of 35-50, and mercy boosted headshots will outright kill anyone with 200 hp. You will be able to outsnipe the snipers.
>>
I consistently go 20-30 kills with 2 or 3 gold medals a game as Widow and it makes people so salty it's unbelievable sometimes

Having above average aim is something rare in Overwatch I guess

Thanks 800 hours of tf2
>>
widowmaker is garbage after the nerfs , its too easy to lock her down , unless your one of the top 3% players in the game and can headshot on command , your free to flankers , spamzo can just strafe and spam you to death , pharah can pin you down with rockets , 76 will suppress you with burst fire.

also practically every team uses Reinhardt making snipers near useless.

windowmaker you have to play out of your skin to do well with , and if your that good , you'd have done a better and more affective job as another hero.
>>
>>345074986
>shitposting

>>345074841
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kuM1caVhDHQ
>>
>>345072097
>not wanting Hanzo to slide his orange man-meat up your ass

Are you gay or something?
>>
>>345077792
You're right on paper, but in practice you'll only get those results in low level play or the Widow playing foolishly. Our team's Widow is only rank 67 or so and has no trouble whatsoever with any of those heroes.

Genji's deflect is trivial to bait out, and his pick potential is negated by positioning available in almost all cases (worst case, our Widow has to stay in a suboptimal location and can't reposition for aggressive angles until he's dead). Tracer is predictable and avoidable. Reaper can't follow to heights without his extremely obvious teleport that the team will notice by covering approaches because it only works in line of sight and takes two seconds on both ends and calls itself out with a loud voice clip, and he's perfectly still when coming out of it, guaranteeing his death to Widow. A single Winston is nothing because of his very large head and inability to do enough damage to take Widow down, despite ease of use. More often than not, a headshot followed by a vertical juke and AR spam will let Widow 1v1 him, though it's a lot safer to have 1-2 people help burst him down as he jumps in.

D.Va is interesting though. On live she's just a nuisance, but her new shield is giving our Widow hell on the PTR right now, so I think she'll be a great counterpick if those buffs remain intact.

As for Ana, Widow beats her every time because of Ana's low damage and lack of mobility which prevents her from getting surprising angles on Widow. Those are key in sniper battles.
>>
>>345079749
>only rank 67
Meant to say 57 here. 67 is pretty lofty. Pros are around mid 70s?
>>
File: 1467148911380.jpg (56 KB, 640x530) Image search: [Google]
1467148911380.jpg
56 KB, 640x530
I haven't even played the game and I know from internet chatter that Hanzo is the worst character in the game.
>>
>>345079948
That would be Mei. Hanzo has a niche in his ult being the perfect pairing with Zarya's ult.

Mei is just trash. TTK is huge. Only utility is a wall that's in a game with tons of vertical mobility. Shitty ult that almost everyone can just get out of with an ability. She can contest points kind of, but D.Va and Tracer are better at it, so she isn't even a viable panic switch.
>>
>>345074939

Widow has the potential of dealing 300 dps. In the hands of someone who can actually aim, the only way to stop her is something with a shield or another Widow.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.