[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the real beef that /v/ has with this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8
File: header.jpg (35 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
35 KB, 460x215
What is the real beef that /v/ has with this game?
>>
>>345066872
Nothing, it's balanced. The only beef I have with that game is that some bosses are too easy.
>>
Shit world design
Rehashed easy bosses
Soul memory
Floaty combat
Downgrade
>>
>>345067745
This,but you get used to the combat; it's just a different feel.
The game has some really rough-looking areas, but I like the world better than DaS3's straight as an arrow "Bloodborne lite", though.
>>
File: egg head.jpg (427 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
egg head.jpg
427 KB, 1920x1080
>>345066872
I thought it was actually a good game. I just think it was the weakest of the series.

Biggest Problems:
>Color Palette was ugly
>Annoying weapon degradation
>Soul Memory (obvious)
>World design was poorly done
>Enemies seemed quantity over quality
>Boss design/fights were underwhelming (though the only bosses I actually thought were outright bad were NPC DLC bosses and Old Iron King)
>>
File: Obese Oscar.jpg (584 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Obese Oscar.jpg
584 KB, 1920x1080
>>345069139
(continued)
That said, I thought the game was good. I played through several times with friends and we had a lot of fun, especially in the DLC areas. They worry me with reskinned Smelter Demon and Graverobbers and then they give you amazing bosses like the Fume Knight, Ivory King and the Slumbering Dragon. I had good fun with those. I can beat them solo within a few tries but as soon as I get summoned to a friend's world they get a buff and thats some goddamn jolly cooperation.
>>
>>345066872

>janky movement controls
>lots of copy/paste weapon movesets
>lack of direction in story and world building
>the worst souls multiplayer, even worse than scraping spear souls
>only souls game without miyazakis hands touching it
>soul memory
>soul memory
>soul memory

Just to name a few.
>>
This is the only DS thread I could find so I'm going to spill it out

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL SMOUGH AFTER IT ABSORBS ORNSTEIN?
>>
>>345066872
Well the animations suck and there's more than a few bad levels.

I enjoyed it. Much better than I thought it'd be, after all that bitching. Gave me a real King's Field vibe.
>>
>>345070169
Are you autistic? You described Dark souls until this last 4.
>>
>>345066872

It wasn't the first game. That's it.

If DaS was like Melee, then DaS2 was like Brawl.
>>
>>345070284
Make sure you're doing some damage (upgraded weapon, STR/DEX boosted accordingly).

Watch for telegraphs to his attacks and then either move/roll away or block.

If you're struggling, you can head down to the catacombs and get the kindling, that'll allow you to carry up to 20 Estus Flask uses.
>>
File: 1460391408739.jpg (84 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1460391408739.jpg
84 KB, 480x270
>>345070284
Git gud.
>>
>>345070284
That's literally easy mode. So much so you don't get the fourth knight ring unless you kill him last.
After you've dealt with the charging fucker, the fatass can be dodged with ease.
>>
>>345070424
I'm using a 10+ zweihander with 40 str 30 dex 28 vit
>>
>>345070609
ikr
the charging fucker is weak as fuck
>>
>>345070284

Dodge, block etc.

Farm souls a bit, level up once or twice, upgrade equipment. Magic and greatshields are quick easy mode toggles. After that it comes down to execution.
>>
>>345070627
Stats are more than fine, then. VIT could be pumped more but whatever.

The merchant in Sen's Fortress sells a ring that gives major thunder defense, if you're really having a hard time with the AOE just slip that on.

But Dark Souls is a really slow game. Make sure you have your eye on fatty mcgee and there's not a single attack that should blindside you. All about reacting to telegraphs.
>>
>>345070627
Aaaah the zweihander... That shit carried my noob ass through more than half of my first playthrough.

Not sure if a very good boss killer if you're facing agile or multiple bosses, specially if they can't be staggered by ir, which is probably its best selling point.
>>
>>345066872
>movement feels shitty
>graphics look awful save for dragon aerie and the DLCs
>shockwaves
>rapiers, katanas and spears have insane phantom range
>hexes
>bosses are awful
>level design and flow is also awful
>impossible spaces
I still got 50 hours on it but its because I got it during a sale and didnt pay full price for it
>>
>>345070791
I have no problem dodging him, only problem is actually getting close to hit him
>>
I really hated the story
>WE WUZ KANGZ N SHIEET
>U ARE KANG NOW SHIEEEEET
>>
>>345071205
He's really slow for a boss so once you figure out his recovery times you should have no problem delivering some heavy hits on him.
Just don't get greedy or you'll get face-sit by 50 tons of electric ass.
>>
>>345066872
I played SotFS first.

My first area after Giant Forest (which I found weird, but not bad) was Lost Bastile. I felt in love immediately.

Then there's this area, the ugly forest that leads to the scorpion boss...

Other than that I really liked it, and the DLC's are at the level of Dark Souls 1, except for the shitty coop areas but it wouldn't be a From DLC with shitty online gimmick zone.

Good game, bizarro souls, if you don't like it, you don't like souls.
>>
>>345071913
Really? Lost Bastille was the ugliest part of the game for me. All rectangular rooms with a uniform grey pallet, hated going there.

But then apparently the PS3 SotFS didn't get the lighting changes so whatever.
>>
>>345071160
>graphics look awful save for dragon aerie and the DLCs

Speaking of Dragon Aerie and the DLC... I played DS2 blind at release. Throughout the entire game, I was disappointed in the area design and was wondering to myself "when do I get to this game's Ash Lake?"

Dragon Aerie/Shrine was that moment in the game where I felt it had finally picked up. Exploring those areas, finding the ancient dragon and figuring out how to use the Ashen Mist Heart without a guide was basically all I got out of DS2 pve.

The DLC's were ok, but I've only played them once so I don't even remember them well. I already have more time clocked in DS3 than I do in DS2 and SotFS combined.
>>
>>345072470
I suppose the Ancient Dragon's Memory would be DaS's Ash Lake, the major reveal and all, but honestly with the description on the soul itself it's just a bit of a clusterfuck.
>>
>>345066872
It was too different, so it became a meme that it's the worst Souls game. And frankly, it was (until DS3 came along anyway), but it was still a masterpiece.

>>345070305
>literal motion-captured animations
>suck
I didn't like them at first either because I was used to something different, but the quality of them is undeniable.
>>
>>345073357
Yeah, I'd say hyperanimated, no stretch/snap at all animations suck, regardless of how realistic they are.
>>
>>345070169
>the worst souls multiplayer, even worse than scraping spear souls
DeS and DaS3.
DaS2 is arguably the best, depending on how you feel about DaS'.
>>
File: 1467432497656.jpg (404 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467432497656.jpg
404 KB, 1920x1080
>>345066872
It didn't live up to the hype from Dark Souls but to be honest what could have.

Other than that main issue it had some questionable choices which made the game not as challenging but more tedious. Still a good game though ~7/10
>>
level design is based around ONE MIRRION TROOPS
>>
>>345066872
My biggest gripes with the game were it's janky controls (double click to heavy attack wtf) and the repetitive enemy design, 90% of the game are humanoid's of various size with the same 3 attack combo. The game simply throws more and more enemies at you per encounter.

Apart from that the level design is less than inspired. It's far too linear. Certain weapon types are completely unavailable till you're half way through the game. Miracles are complete dogshit. ect ect.

All in all it isn't really a bad game. Just not as good as it should have been.
>>
>>345066872
Looks and plays worse than DeS and DaS.

Also I fell for the "the DLC are much better than the base game" meme. No, they're not. They just add more of the mediocrity.
>>
Really good game desu and they kept taking care of it

both sin and 3 dlcs were good as well
>>
File: deadzone.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
deadzone.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>345066872
soul memory

nearly everything is a fucking ambush

barely any 1 on 1 encounters

shit bosses

giant humanoids in armor

npc quests are worse

weapon durability

iframes are a stat

hexes
>>
>>345071205

Try rolling
>>
>>345073876
>double click to heavy attack

If you played the game with a mouse and keyboard, it's not the game's fault by that point.
>>
>>345073543
This is the reason I'm scared to try Dark Souls. Demons Souls was so good and I feel like Dark Souls may not be the game everyone is making it out to be just because it was their first.
>>
>>345074626
You don't have to be the best to be worth playing.
>>
>>345070284
The first time I died like 50 times and I was annoyed so I cheated.

I bought a ton of arrows and shot that fucker behind the pillars.
>>
>>345066872

When I played it for the first and only time, it felt like this game had been built with difficulty and YOU DIED as the primary goal:

Your weapons degrade quickly

There are loads of enemies in each area, and they aggro in groups when the game's targeting system is designed around single combat

You start with few I-frames despite blocking being a horrible idea in this game which makes the learning curve most steep at the beginning

A death counter because haha you die in this game lol

An achievement for dying called Welcome to Dark Souls because haha everyone likes these games because they die a lot

And so on. Contrast this to other games in the series, which are built to be challenging, but without the same feel of a focus on grinding the player into the dirt. I suffered through dark souls 2 where I've thoroughly enjoyed all other instalments
>>
>>345074676
This so fucking hard.

It's still a very good game. Unfortunately, it came out soon after most people's first souls experience so they were probably still on the DaS1 hype.
For better or for worse, definitely worth a playthrough.
>>
It's the funnest Souls game IMO, but there's a ridiculous amount of filler, it's too easy, and it's no way near as atmospheric or interesting as DS. It has the best boss fight in the series though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK8fWdJal4
>>
>>345066872
lose max hp on death

enemies stop respawning

rings have durability
>>
>>345070169

>lack of direction in story and world building
I don't know, Vendrick/Aldia is some of my favourite lore in the series. Plus DSII introduced a lot if interesting elements that were completely retconned in DSIII like the cyclical nature of the Lord's Souls. The Manus fragments were interesting, as was the Throne of Want and the natural evolution over time of the one who links the fire being seen as king rather than god. I also liked that the story had moved on from the light versus dark and took us to the logical next step of 'an alternate choice.'

DSIII is the one with the lack of story direction.

>Worst multiplayer
It's the most balanced. DS1 on launch, DS1 when AotA came out and DSIII all have much worse multiplayer, I'd say.
>>
>>345075323
Losing health every time you died did get annoying, but it also made dying a bigger deal.
>>
>>345069139
>>Enemies seemed quantity over quality
100% this. It was like they just ran with the "lol dark souls is hard" meme and just threw a million things at you at once because they were frustrating instead of challenging. Farming the enemies reduced their numbers but it still required bashing your head against a wall for quite a few times before you saw any results and the game would've benefited more from just better enemies and enemy placement all around.
>>
pain in the ass to run past enemies after learning the area
>>
>>345070627
>I'm using a 10+ zweihander

I beat them on NG+ with a 8+ zweihander. I don't even know why you'd have trouble with Smough, as long as you avoid his electric but stomp and can keep him away with the pillars, I don't know what issue's you'd have.
>>
>>345075323
>lose max hp on death
This is a good thing. It makes death actually really costly, just like it was in DeS, except even more punishing if you let your health deteriorate too much. It was "hollowing" done right, just the way the lore explains it.
Though the way DeS and DS3 did it is fine too, just cut your health by a percentage. Except it's fucking stupid in DS3 that it doesn't show you the maximum amount of health that you have like DeS did.

It's always one step forward, one step back with this series after DS1.
>>
>>345075821
>Plus DSII introduced a lot if interesting elements that were completely retconned in DSIII
This is actually a really good point. It's hilarious how people on this board complained that DS2 was full of supposed pandering and references, while they actually tried to write a very unique story. Now that DS3 was released, THIS is a game with tons of pandering and references. They're pretty much everywhere.

>>345072245
>Lost Bastille was the ugliest part of the game for me. All rectangular rooms with a uniform grey pallet, hated going there.
That's because Dark Souls II was generally ugly as hell. The level design of bastille, however, was actually good. You can enter the area from multiple directions and explore it that way, something DSIII failed to have AT ALL. If I remember correctly you can technically skip Ruin Sentinels, too. That might just have been in the base game, though, I don't remember.
>>
>>345066872
World design really sucked, and some of the hitboxes were very wonky, particularly on many grab attacks. Also, the weapon degradation issue that was only fixed once it became an issue for the SotFS editions on consoles, despite being a problem for over a year on PC. That said, grab attacks have had pretty spotty hitboxes across the entire series so far, and the world design in Dark Souls 3 is a straight line.

People who cite soul memory likely just parrot it because someone else hates it, or they're upset that they can't do low-level twink invasions. It was functional, and there was plenty of activity in each and every tier. They even added a ring to appease all the whingers which entirely solves the problem.
>>
>>345076905
I just beat the SotFS, you can skip Ruin Sentinels too.
>>
File: XBH2k3g-noscale.jpg (66 KB, 621x960) Image search: [Google]
XBH2k3g-noscale.jpg
66 KB, 621x960
>>345070284
>Hit it one time
>Roll back
>Repeat

The fucking ligthing jump gave me trouble at first, but in NG++ I did with ligth armor and was a breeze. Mobility is the key.
>>
>>345071480
My only complaint about the game is this.
Such a downgrade in lore was fucked up.
>>
>>345070284
How the fuck do you survive phase 1 and you can't beat easy mode phase 2?
>>
>>345066872
>A statue blocks your way.
>Invaded by dark spirit Forlorn!
>>
It's just underwhelming compared to the rest of its family, kind of like vee posters.
>>
I can't remember anything about the plot. I can't think of a single memorable boss or area outside of the DLC. It's not a bad game, it's just not anything special.
>>
>>345066872
Downgrade and DLC
>>
>>345076007
agreeing with this.

>walk into room
>surprise ambush by 6 enemies
>repeat 150 times
it got boring

also, too many enemies had grab attacks with messed up hitboxes. a game that's supposed to be challenging shouldn't be cheap like this.

feels like the game got full of itself because "lol so hard if you beat this you aren't casual"

dark souls 1 was better (not perfect, lost izalith/bed of chaos kind of sucked, forced death by seath, ghosts in new londo were tedious, etc.)
>>
>>345076905

Dark Souls III has way more pandering than DaSII. Mostly to Demon's Souls, bizarrely.

>Various characters are DeS references (Yuria, touch the darkness inside me)
>A plot important bossfight is a DeS reference (and wasn't as well executed as Storm King anyway)
>One of the endings (End the Fire with head stomping) is a blatant nod to DeS's 'bad end'.
>Garl Vinland 3.0
>>
>>345066872
For as bad as it was, its actually kind of interesting how well they managed to salvage what they could during the troubled development.
>>
my only issues with it are visuals in some areas, oversaturation of unremarkable weapons, and the enemies with grabs/combos that are designed to look cool but are completely unsurvivable. however, it's got the best PvP of any souls game with the agape ring to circumvent SM, and more expressive lore, even if some of it was garbage
>>
File: 93% winrate.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
93% winrate.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>
It didn't live up to the impossible level of hype people had after Dark Souls 1.
>>
>>345079507
Holy shit how can dark souls 2 plebs defend this?
>>
>>345080218
the dlc fixed everything i swear!
>>
>>345070284
I suck at this game and beat him my second try, just lure hime behind the pillars
>>
>>345070284
beat smough first, if you beat ornstein last you get a ring that lets you R1 spam people more effectively
>>
>>345071160
What's wrong with hexes?
>>
>>345076905
You can skip Ruin Sentinels, but that means you can't light the fires for the Lost Sinner fight. That's actually pretty based if you ask me.
>>
>>345080218
No one does. If I see someone praise 2 over 1 or 3, it's because the pvp
>>
>>345079507
Holy mackerel.
Took me like 20 tries to beat Raime but this never happened to me. Is it online?
>>
>>345076857
DaS 3 goes the other way around, you're not a hollow losing humanity, you're an ashen one absorbing ember, therefore it's a buff to be embered as opposed of a penalty to not being embered.
>>
>>345082374
Maybe. Most bullshit I had with him was the slow swing because I suck at dodging
>>
>>345074109
vanilla looks way better
>>
I loved it because it had a decent PC port, so I could play it comfortably with stable 60fps
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.