[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you say that the quality of a game is subjective?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Pic somewhat related.
>>
>>345056997
>playing the literal Bethesda Jew
Also it depends, on whether you're talking about story/gameplay/mechanics or how it was developed.
>>
>>345056997
In a literal sense yes. In a practical sense there are some things you'd have to be a total retard to like and not every opinion should be taken seriously.
>>
>>345056997
You're misusing the term of subjective
>>
>>345056997
Games have both objective and subjective qualities. A game can have objectively high quality graphics, controls, performance, design etc.

However whether any of that is fun or compelling is up to you.
>>
Games can be good subjectively and objectively
Oblivion is objectively a better game than skyrim
>>
With the level scaling modded out I would have enjoyed it more.

I really wasn't a fan of the plains of oblivion missions the game forces you into though
>>
>>345057612
>A game can have objectively high quality graphics, controls, performance, design etc.

None of those things are objective.
>>
>>345056997
Objectively it sucks.
Subjectively it sucks.
Unfortunately it's GOTY.
Factually it's the worst Elder Scrolls next to Skyrim.
>>
>>345056997
Yeah, especially when you consider the concept of aging. A video game, despite not changing at all from its release date to the current day, can become less playable to most gamers just by virtue of the fact of them being used to different qualities in games.

Like, look at Morrowind. It hasnt changed in 10+ years, but if you handed it to someone now, you'd get a drastically different reaction than you would get upon its release. The game didnt change, but somehow, it got less amazing, because people have seen things they perceived as greater than it.
>>
>>345057285
Could you elaborate? Like what are some of the aspects of a game that you would say are fundamentaly wrong to like?
>>
Intersubjective is the word you're looking for.
>>
>>345058163
I suppose you have a point, over time the standards for what make a game good or bad do change a bit don't they?
>>
>>345057795
Wrong.
>>
>>345056997
Yes and no.

You can establish a set of criteria you wish to measure. You can choose replay value, framerate, genre-norm-adherence, graphical resolution, etc.

You can then measure the degree to which the game adheres to the genre's norms, what the framerate is, what the resolution is, etc.

From there, you can discern some objective qualities about the game.

Now, what's subjective, is which qualities and criteria are most important. I might care about certain things that you might not care about.

So, a game may objectively diverge from genre norms, but whether or not that has any bearing on the game's quality is a subjective matter.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.