[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I played a bit of the Arkham Horror board game and now I wanna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: BigFatNegro.jpg (192 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
BigFatNegro.jpg
192 KB, 960x540
So I played a bit of the Arkham Horror board game and now I wanna know if there's any good lovecraftian, eldritch, cthulu, etc. games out there
>>
People will disagree with me, but Dark Corners of the Earth is probably the best, my favorite at any rate. Edge of Nowhere gets the setting good but is otherwise fairly weak.
>>
Eternal Darkness is the closest thing to both playable and Lovecraft you are gonna get.

Terrors from the Deep has some stuff from Lovecraft in it but that is not what you want at all.
>>
>>345030071
dark corners is fucking great bro. I'm not sure why someone would disagree with you because it nails the lovecraftian feel
>>
>>345030840
Most complaints come from the gunplay in the second half. Gunplay is essential to the setting if you ask me, hell in "The Shunned House" the humans smoke the evil with a goddamn flamethrower and Zyklon B or something.
>>
>>345030817
Never seen that before, but lovecraft mixed with xcom sounds pretty fucking great
>>
>>345031198

The references to lovecraft are basically like less than 1% of the actual game.

I only mentioned it because of Deep Ones and a few other enemies you can run into.
>>
Eternal Darkness has a pretty good eldritch horror style. Try that.

>>345031152
I mean gunplay is a fair complaint, but the setting and tone are definitely faithful to lovecraft.
>>
>>345029903
Bloodborne
>>
>>345031718
Get ready for people to scream at you that you're wrong.
>>
>>345030071
Main problem with Dark Corners is how fucking broken it is. I can't count how many times I had to restart because the game froze or just got stuck.
The setting and atmosphere are stellar though.
>>
>>345031826
But he is wrong, the Noir feel and frequent New England setting are important. What even makes it Lovecraftian?
>>
>>345032628
the eldritch horror part
>>
>>345032628
Mad worshippers and alien gods?
>>
>>345032794
>>345032841
You can't make shepherds pie out of just corn, those elements are present in hordes of other things as well. Nobody is going to call Mistborn lovecraftian but it has mad worshipers and alien gods. I'm not calling Bloodborne a bad game, but it's only tangentially lovecraftian,
>>
>>345033061
But for the average person, that's all they know.
You're not wrong, it's not Lovecraftian, it has elements of it, but that's enough for most to say it's a Lovecraft game.
>>
Clive barker has some cool games
>>
>>345033337
well, can't be too picky if you want a lovecraftian videogame, not that many good ones out there
>>
File: Wallpaper_bg.jpg (330 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Wallpaper_bg.jpg
330 KB, 1920x1080
>>345029903
Darkest Dungeon. Four to a party, multiple classes, have to manage your party's mental health and physical ailments between missions as well as recruiting newbies to replace the dead. Your parties will die a lot initially as you learn the game.

Don't take it too seriously - embrace the schadenfreude and enjoy the beautiful dark aesthetic.
>>
>>345032515
I've only run into big problems twice. First is the ship mission where you can see the lights on the island so you dont know where to shoot. Second is at the very end of the game where you have to escape the underwater city after killing Hydra. I always get crushed before I can make it no matter how much I book it.
>>
try eldritch horror if you want a faster/friendlier arkham horror experience

i like arkham horror and all but i can't ever get a group for it
>>
File: 1462156156475.jpg (957 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462156156475.jpg
957 KB, 1920x1080
Penumbra & Amnesia
Darkness Within
Sunless Sea
Bloodborne
>>
>>345032628
>What even makes it Lovecraftian?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voMAx-lKfIw
Sums it up pretty well. And this was made before the DLC, which includes a level that is basically Innsmouth.
>>
>>345034306
Seconding dankest memegon, just check out the trailer. Apparently the narrator is the guy who does the audio books.
>>
>>345029903
i have no mouth and i must scream
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.