[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one good reason Skyrim wasn't as good as Oblivion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12
File: oblivious.jpg (435 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
oblivious.jpg
435 KB, 1920x1080
Give me one good reason Skyrim wasn't as good as Oblivion

Protip:

You can't and you just go along with the "Skyrim is shit" meme because you are so fucking pathetic that you need to feel comradery and acceptance from a bunch of faggots you've never met

Prove me wrong
>>
no custom magic.

>protip: copypasta I didn't write
mind that edge.
>>
did you actually play skyrim?
>>
No hand-to-hand
>>
Dark Brotherhood/any guild
>>
>>345008004
you can still use enchant to make 'gloves of one shotting dragons and auto judo flip normal npcs'.
>>
>>345008131
It's shit, I prefer Skyrim to oblivion, but no hand to hand in vanila skyrim was a big mistake.

>>345007940
This, spellmaking is the shit
But it was so boring in oblivion, for mage playthroughs, i'd rather go play morrowind and break the game because of OP custom spells.

>>345007761
>You can't and you just go along with the "Skyrim is shit" meme
Where do you think you are faggot, this is not reddit
>>
>>345007761
you can't jump and attack
you can't attack underwater
there are less combat aimations
you can't jump on water
the voice acting is worse
the mods are worse
>>
>>345007761
>oblivion
classes
birth signs
stats (strength, intelligence, agility, luck, etc)
custom magic
custom enchantments
more armor segments (but not as good as morrowind)
mysticism
TWO RINGS
quests are more memorable
Fame and infamy
persuasion chart
can use alchemy anywhere, as long as you have to right tools

>Skyrim
no classes, be a master of all trades
no birth signs, just stones scattered all around
no stats
no custom magic
Enchanting is limited
less armor segments
no mysticism
ONE RING
Quests seem to all be the same
only fame, no infamy
No persuasion chart
can only use alchemy at crafting stations

>inb4 "b-but mods can fix all of that!!!"
>>
>>345009724
>the voice acting is worse

Skyrim was bad with VOs, but oblivion was horrible
>Oblivion is overacted, has a single actor per race and is plagued with multiple characters with sudden voice changes depending of questions asked
>Skyrim has multiple voice actors for some races but is kinda bland, yet consistent.
>>
>>345009838
>oblivion
>"jump everywhere while casting resto spells" the game

the new leveling system is so much better
>>
My main problem with Skyrim is that the world felt incredibly dull. There's so much they could have done with a boreal forest setting, but instead opted to make it feel dull and lifeless which sucks in a fantasy setting. The dungeons were boring as well. The only enjoyable ones were the late-game and expansion dungeons.
>>
>>345010493
>jump everywhere while casting resto spells
the fuck does that even mean?

>new leveling system is better
explain to me how its better
>>
>>345007761
What is the point of these threads, every decent reason point out why oblivion is better is just met with HURR SKYRIM DID IT BETTER THO SO HUEHUEHUE
>>
>>345009156
Well there is hand to hand in vanilla Skyrim but it sucks dick. Firstly you gotta go into the Heavy Armour for ONE PERK which adds part of the armor value on the gauntlets to your damage.
And only that part, it doesn't count the value of upgraded gauntlets, just the base armor value. There's also an enchantment for bonus unarmed damage (on light armor gauntlets fucking what?) that you can get to put on a ring and gauntlets. Also Kahjiit and Argonians bonus.

Honestly if you want unarmed try Ordinator's Light Armor skill tree, it has a branch for it.
>>
>>345010770
Meaning you could only level shit up properly if you used it a lot, so in order to level up restoration properly at all you had to run around constantly casting healing spells you didn't need, it's terrible

Perk leveling is so much better, to doesn't restrict smooth build leveling

Honestly it's like as soon as people can't put points into dex they freak out, Witcher 3 doesn't have stats, does that make it a shit game? No
>>
>>345011339
Anon that wasn't the problem with Oblivion's leveling up, it was the scales enemy lists that just JUMPED as soon as you hit the threshold.
>>
>>345010946
and every time someone will claim that the combat in Oblivion was better when it's the same fucking system

>>345009156
Dual wielding spells was much more fun than anything in Oblivion

You could run around with a constant stream of electricity coming out of your hands
>>
>>345007761
We had this argument about million fucking times since 2011 and I don't feel like copypasting again.

I can't believe I was hyped about Skyrim.
>>
>>345010770
>jump everywhere while casting resto spells
>the fuck does that even mean?

Level up magic (restoration) and acrobatics to 100 by fucking around
>>
>>345011513
>Dual wielding spells
>use lightning and ice to slow down enemies and drain their magicka
>take care of them
>retarded friend goes full fire
>gets his face bashed the fuck in

dare I say skyrim's dual casting added more depth in magical combat than oblivion ?

maybe not morrowind, levitation and all that demigod tier alteration takes the whole cake
>>
File: todds.jpg (44 KB, 255x244) Image search: [Google]
todds.jpg
44 KB, 255x244
FACT: Skyrim was a perfect version of Oblivion

both goty and nearly perfect games
>>
>>345007761
>bgimped Enchanting
>removed spellmaking
>can't go sword+shield+spell anymore
>no more Acrobatics
>no more Speed
>melee attacks come out slower and have more ending lag
>no dodge roll
>only wear one ring

Oblivion's not perfect, and Skyrim did improve on some things, but every time I play SKyrim, the above shit makes the experience less fulfilling. Just makes me want to go play Oblivion every time.
>>
>>345013987
Oblivion literally added nothing to the Elder Scrolls combat

If the determining factor for whether a game is good or not is if you can craft spells that wipe out entire cities then you aren't playing the game right
>>
>>345013992
Where's my class system and spellmaking Howard ?
>>
>>345014517
Why do you need a label on the build you make
>>
>>345014482
>Oblivion literally added nothing to the Elder Scrolls combat
True, but it did removed the diceroll

I didn't mind the diceroll because I learned how to build a proper morrowind character, but that shit doesn't belong in something that isn't turn based
>>
>>345014607
for the same reasons the new Archmage in Winterhold literally never casted a spell in its life
>>
File: yikes.jpg (114 KB, 480x552) Image search: [Google]
yikes.jpg
114 KB, 480x552
>>345014776
>I'm going to anti-roleplay this
>god this game sucks
>>
Oblivion has better quests
>>
>>345007761
Where's skyrim climbing mod?
Protip: there's none.

Also Oblivion is one of the best vampire experience simulators of all time.

I assume you mean modded. Vanilla a shit
>>
>>345009838

>no classes, be a master of all trades

Believe it or not the perk system is actually what prevents you from becoming a master of all trades.

Max level in the game was around 80, nowhere near enough to max out everything.
>>
>>345015690
Why don't you mod it yourself faggot?

That is the worst reason I have seen to date
>>
>>345015362
>Game lets me anti-roleplay and break the lore that hard
>Golly this game's writing is good
>>
>>345015692
Not the guy, but there were hardly any perks that were game changing that would prove your point. You can argue that the crafting jobs give you access to items though.
>>
>>345015690
doesn't need one because horses climb through walls, watch a speedrun.

why do no rpg's have climbing, skyrim kinda makes sense cause main story on the mountain but you can break that anyway.
>>
>>345015692
Well they added that 'Legendary' shit that sets your skill that you get to 100 back to basic if you choose it and refunds your perk points but I can't see who can be bothered with that, leveling it back to 100 nets you all of 3 extra perk points every time you do it.
>>
>>345015362
In Morrowind you had to meet certain criteria to level up in factions

You wouldn't let some wimpy mage that doesn't lift the Guildmaster of the Fighter's Guild, wouldn't you ?
>>
File: 566.gif (2 MB, 460x337) Image search: [Google]
566.gif
2 MB, 460x337
>>345016025
Man Bethesda sucks dick at perks, they all do the same thing.
>>
File: 1365043516745s.jpg (3 KB, 95x125) Image search: [Google]
1365043516745s.jpg
3 KB, 95x125
>>345016018
>god I'm so clever
>I'll deliberately not use magic ever to prove a point to no one around me that this game, that I am playing and investing time and effort in despite not likeing it, is in fact poorly designed because it allows too much freedom of choice

kys
>>
>>345016082

I don't even want to imagine how long it would take to grin up to level 250 to max everything out.

It makes it the same situation as Fallout 4, sure you can max everything out, but over the course of normal game-play you really won't. If you put in the grinding work necessary to pull it off I say you probably deserve to have a maxed out character.
>>
>>345015876
>name a reason
>durr it's a bad reason why don't you mod it yourself fuck you!!!!

no.

>>345016040
>horses climb through walls,
While that works, it kinda ruins muh immersion.
>>
>>345013517
>>345011339
>>345010493

but if I were to jump around a lot in real life, with no real goal in mind, I'll be really good at jumping. It makes perfect fucking sense.
>>
Now that Skyrim has Enderal,
Nehrim is not a reason to prefer Oblivion any longer.
>>
>>345007761
They are the same, they are both shit.
>>
File: skyrim's voice actor.jpg (172 KB, 1411x340) Image search: [Google]
skyrim's voice actor.jpg
172 KB, 1411x340
>>345010437
>>Oblivion is overacted, has a single actor per race
>>
>>345016653
You are judging a game based on something that the modding community didn't make for you

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>345016452
but the "freedom of choice" made that quest pathetic. there's only two times in the whole quest where you need to use magic and both times the necessary spells are just given to you. then the only thing you can do after that is run around the map fetching books for that nigger in the arcaneum.
>>
>>345016687
except that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid fucking system

Spending hours on end tapping spacebar is ridiculous
>>
>>345016687
Jumping too much and/or hurting yourself by falling off great heights won't make you a great acrobat anon

It will just fuck up your legs, and sadly, this isn't the EYE thread
>>
(Skyrim = Oblivion) < Morrowind
>>
>>345016452
see >>345016256
>>
>>345016025

Individually most of the skill perks don't change much, but they add up when you collect them they start adding up. I think that's the point.
>>
>>345016824
Vanilla Oblivion is objectively better in every single aspect. There's no room for discussion.

Better voice acting, better quests, better gear, better mechanics and pretty much a better experience overall.

If you want to look at those 6/10 games you have to rate them according to the modded versions, else this would be the only valid answer.
>>345016791
Modded Skyrim can be a 9/10 game, but it still lacks some nice things Oblivion does have.
>>
>>345017391
>better voice acting

You mean the one guy that they had do all the voices?

>better mechanics

Talking about mechanics in an Elder Scrolls game is hilariously stupid

click left button to attack, hold right button to block, it's the same fucking system dumbass

>better quests

vague at best
>>
>>345007761
I made a thread about this a while back.
The main problem with skyrim is how it treats you like a baby playing around in a sandbox (litteral).
It continues to suck your dick every corner you turn, there is 2 types of characters.

Nr.1: "Oh my god your the dragon born let me suck your dick, i only exist to make you feel badass"
Nr. 2: "heehee look at me, im a massive cunt and i only exist to make you want to kill me."

All the guilds SUCK. They all interupt you in the middle to tell you "Hey your the chosen one, now let me deepthroat that massive throbbing theoretical cock of yours".

The college of winterhold: I felt like this would be a good opportunity for the game to teach you how to use magic more efficiently, not that the combat had any depth, but atleast be a sort of hogwarts simulator.
BUT FUCK THAT, you go to 1 and a half lessons and then the game tells you you're the chosen one. and then after a shitty questline your the princible. cont.
>>
>>345007761
>Completely removed acrobatics
Dick move considering it was debatably one of the most fun skills in the game
>Gimped magic
>No strength stat.
you do damage based upon skills/perks and nothing more.
>No hand-to-hand.
Fucking why even remove this? They finally added a feature which made it worthwhile (brawling over arguments and shit) and THEN they decide to scrap the skill?
>Linear quest
There's only one ending. Yes Oblivion did the same thing, but goddammit this is a sequel - it's supposed to IMPROVE on its predecessor.
>shit characters.
What was Alduin's motivation apart from "I'm a dragon so I'm gonna fuck shit up"?
>Armor slots reduced
Literally why?

On the pro side the soundtrack was decent and dragon fights could be fun from time to time.
>>
File: 1458403864953.png (2 MB, 1002x2338) Image search: [Google]
1458403864953.png
2 MB, 1002x2338
Oblivion lets you do stuff like this.
>>
>>345018460
The companions: It actually starts of as a good questline, everyone treats you kind of like shit as to be expected.
After speaking to people you hear about "the circle". Where the highranking guild members share the most secret secrets of all time.
You then do 2 WHOLE DRAUGR KILLING QUESTS and then they go "wooptie fucking doo you can join the circle now. Also you wanna be a werewolf?"

The bards college: Whats even the fucking point of a bards college in a game where you cant even play a fucking instrument??
Completely pointless and boring as all hell.

The thiefs guild: It was okay, but not enough just going around stealing from normal citizens and selling to fences.

The darkbrotherhood: This was actually decent. but it was extremely underwelming killing the fucking emperor and then noticing absolutely no difference in the world. Wouldn't this fuck over the imperials in the war?
>>
No custom spells
Draugrs and bandits
Conjuration got fucked up so badly
>>
>>345007761
Old players dislike Skyrim because it is simplified to atract new players. I don't like all that hand-holding and simple combat but I wouldn't say it's shit. People that go around saying Skyrim is shit never played a truly bad game.

On a side note the open-world aspect of the game was one of the best.
>>
File: 1460934486281.jpg (24 KB, 364x366) Image search: [Google]
1460934486281.jpg
24 KB, 364x366
ITT: Op gets absolutely destroyed
>>
In terms of the writing:
Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim

Oblivion had better NPCs and quests which were actually fun and interesting, while being realistic. I mean in the mages guild of oblivion you actually have to get a recommendation from guildmasters in order to even get to the Le Grande University of Magic, which also acts as an introductionary quest. It showed you all the cities guilds and personnel, which gives the player a rough idea of what this Mages Guild is all about.

In skyrim you're just let in by knowing one spell and after that you're first mission is to go excavating some ancient artifacts with great power because fuck safety.

Either the nords are dumb as fuck or extremely trusting to let a novice who only knows one spell to go look for some super powerful magic things. It's like giving someone from /v/ the responsibility to dispose hazardous nuclear waste.
>>
>>345016632
Not that long. Just go into the center of Whiterun and cast Harmony over and over. You'll be making 100 every minute. Or cast telekinesis on something and fast travel across the map. You'll make 100 every loading screen.
>>
File: 22320_20160615182149_1.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
22320_20160615182149_1.png
2 MB, 1600x900
Morrowind >>>> Oblivion > Skyrim
>>
File: 1432866488811.gif (2 MB, 160x200) Image search: [Google]
1432866488811.gif
2 MB, 160x200
>>345021739
>In skyrim you're just let in by knowing one spell
you can actually buy that spell from the same person that wants you to cast it
>>
File: 1459672282090.png (218 KB, 475x457) Image search: [Google]
1459672282090.png
218 KB, 475x457
>>345021739
>>345023390
My n'wahs.
>>
>>345007761
>no custom magic
>all the stories are awful

only thing skyrim has going for it is the thu'um which were fun to track down.
>>
>>345010437
>Overacted
But that was the fun bit
I mean all the elven males were so over the top it was fun
only the Imperial males were proper VA'd
>>
>>345016980
Says you, I bet I could be a great acrobat if I tried hard enough.
>>
>>345021739
>It's like giving someone from /v/ the responsibility to dispose hazardous nuclear waste.
Like it is a bad idea to send NEET's to a horrifying death
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.