[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon Quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Dragon Quest.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest.png
2 MB, 1440x900
About to start the Dragon Quest series for my first time. I'm gonna go in number order, but which version of 1-3 should I play? I know they were released on GBC for america but english translations of the SNES versions are easily obtainable. Are there major differences between them? Any pro tips?
>>
>>344977092
>1-3 should I play?

The Game Boy Color Versions are pretty good.
>>
I played them all on the android version
>>
>>344977424
That's not what phones are for
>>
SNES if you want better looking graphics. Also the text doesn't take up a large portion of the screen. GBC is still great and perfectly find to play. Just make sure whatever version you pick to stay on that version for all 3 games. It will make the story and references feel actually together.

DQ 1 is 90% grinding even the SNES/GBC version it's just tone down a lot. It's sad because it really is a great JRPG that gives all the core idea on how a JRPG should be handled.

DQ 2 is everything DQ 1 had magnified. World is massive, party members, tons of gear and spells, more enemies, lots of magical items to find, ect. Sadly the team rushed it out so the game feels imbalanced pretty quickly (as soon as you get the boat). The items you need are too well hidden and they never give you enough information to really know where to look for them outside of a town. So you spend a ton of time just searching every inch of the place hoping to stumble on it. It's really the one DQ game that is really best to read a guide while playing it. Also your party members aren't really well balanced with the Hero is you go to damage while the other prince is mostly there to die a lot (it's a running joke for a reason) and the princess is an alright mage. But enemies just seem to do way too much damage everywhere you go. And the last area is just pure pain.

DQ3 takes all the problems with DQ2 and fixes every issue. The class system is nicely balanced, traveling the world actually is enjoyable, finding items is actually fun and not annoying,
>>
>>344977092
Play the first game on NES, thats how I started. Play the second one if you think you're manly enough, otherwise play the SNES version of any of the games
>>
File: Dragon_Quest_is_awesome.jpg (578 KB, 550x3500) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Quest_is_awesome.jpg
578 KB, 550x3500
>>344977092
>>
>>344977630
>DQ2 mandatory items are fucking invisible
I like DQ, but goddamn this shit is inexcusable in any video game.
>>
OP here. What are the canon character names? I'm autistic about this kind of thing.
>>
>>344977817
DQ3 items were invisible but in places you will look for. Like pushing a boulder and searching under it. Mobile version gives a sparkle for items which I get for DQ2 because of how insane that game is. But DQ1 and 3 are fine without it and actually fucks up DQ1 because NPCs tell you exactly where those special items are. But because of the sparkles it makes going around talking to NPCs and exploring kind of pointless. Which is the whole point of DQ1.
>>
>>344977959
Only real name you should know is Erdrick or Loto/Roto for japs.
>>
>>344977959
they don't have names. not even in III because they call you that at the end
>>
Guys.

I like those Monsters games. Did the GBA ones ever get a translation patch?
>>
>>344978061
Actually Loto is used in the GBC version.
>>
I have beaten every mainline DQ except for 3 and 7.
Which version of 3 is the best?
>>
>>344980045
SNES version of 3 is the best.
>>
>>344980112
I wasn't sure to choose the gbc version or the nes version.
Despite the snes version having the best graphics I heard that the gbc version has more content.
>>
>>344980303
GBC version has monster medals which take an eternity to collect and once you get them all you unlock a bonus fan fiction dungeon with a dragon at the end of it.
>>
>>344980567
so in other words not worth it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.