[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does forcing AA through the graphics panel actually work? Every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Does forcing AA through the graphics panel actually work? Every game I've tried it on it does nothing.
>>
Works for me, though it obviously wouldn't work for 2D games, that screenshot is retarded. It depends on the game itself, some games break with forced AA, IIRC any engine that uses deferred lightning can't use traditional AA methods so it won't work with them either. Morphological AA should work with everything since it's postprocess AA like FXAA and SMAA.
>>
File: vsr2.jpg (71 KB, 620x180) Image search: [Google]
vsr2.jpg
71 KB, 620x180
>>344972436

Not all game engines are compatible with all types of AA. The best method of AA (for both compatibility and quality) is supersampling but equally it has the highest performance hit.

Hell iirc you can't force msaa on deferred shading engines as it flatout doesn't work (this is not an AMD thing either - you can't do it with Nvidia either).
>>
most games
not all games
>>
>>344972669
Why can only the 285 render at 4k?
>>
>>344972884

Do note that chart predates the 300 (and now, 400 series). The main reason for the 285 is it uses an updated software scaler compared to the older chips.
>>
>>344972436
Depends on the game. For some it works, for some it doesn´t.
Also might cause graphical glithes (Rocket League is an example)

No Frame rate target control, that shit has NEVER worked for me. not once.
And That would actually be more important to me than forcing aa
>>
>>344974330

FRTC only works for DX9/10/11.
>>
Its an outdated feature, it should have a separate legacy panel as it no game nowdays lets you force MSAA
>>
>>344974445
tried it with several games none of them worked.
Some of them had to be DX11.
>>
>>344974685

Just werks™ for me.
>>
Probably stupid question, but since my monitor can only do 60hz, is there any downside at all to limiting everything to 60 fps using Crimson?

Or maybe something like 61-62
>>
>>344972436
Depends really.

Recently replayed through Dishonored again and I forced MSAA 2x and SSAO, which the game has neither, and it worked fine.
>>
>>344974807

>is there any downside at all to limiting everything to 60 fps using Crimson?

None at all.
>>
>>344972436
Its been ages since I've had on AMD card so I can't speak for that but it definitely works through NVIDIA Control Panel, I usually force it through there if the game has shit AA.
The only game it hasn't worked on is Alien Isolation.
>>
>>344974807
There is no downside but if you are getting over 60fps you should definitely have vsync on which will keep it at 60 anyway.
>>
>>344974923
>>344975072
Yes, I do use vsync whenever possible but some games don't have, some other games seem to temporarily disable it while you alt tab, etc.

For example, alt tab out of Bioshock Infinite and you will most likely hear your fans go up since the the card is probably outputing everything it can.

So the idea is limiting absolutely everything from there.
>>
>>344975072
Vsync causes input lag issues.

It depends what matters most to you. In a competitive game, you probably want it off, since it induces input lag, but in anything casual you probably want it on, since it eliminates pesky screen tear.

By the way, what do I do if I have a 144p monitor
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.