[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best DOOM game? It can't be Ultimate Doom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: 9386822.jpg (209 KB, 1370x902) Image search: [Google]
9386822.jpg
209 KB, 1370x902
What's the best DOOM game?

It can't be Ultimate Doom can it?
>>
>>344969886
DooM 2 has most content but weakest vanila levels
DooM 1 (or Ultimate DooM) has best levels but gets stale quicker and not as many maps
DooM 3 is a joke
D44M I didnt play it yet so I cant say
>>
>>344970134
So Doom 2 > Ultimate ?
>>
>>344970134
What about Brutal Doom?
>>
>>344970134
Doom 4 gives the original dooms a run for their money. It doesn't quite surpass them because how can you surpass it but its definitely a fun game that captures what was good about Doom.
>>
>>344970310
Brutal Doom is to DooM what Misery is to Stalker.

shitty mod praised by people who did not get what the game is about, autist developer, cancerous fanbase, and poor design decisions all around.
>>
>>344970532
Yeah but is it still worth trying? Might be cool
>>
File: 1447977548686.jpg (22 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
1447977548686.jpg
22 KB, 251x231
>you will never spit enough lightning to rock shock the boogie down to brighton
>>
>>344970747
'ight then
>>
>>344970737
Get the Starter pack, totally fuck awesome.

It's actually fucking professional tier, it's so goddamn good.
>>
>>344969886
>i am white : the thread
>>
Vaudeville Villain is the best DOOM
>>
>>344970737
Watch this vid. It'll tell you everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8R5iit2OcU
>>
>>344970815
Just downloaded it now.

There should be an overhaul like New Vegas but for Doom games. Imagine a 3D proper shaded Doom on PC
>>
>>344970927
Play it, there will be no sadness.

Only Doom.
>>
>>344970737
yeah go and try it, just keep in mind that novelty will wear off rather quick, especially if you like playing custom maps because BD breaks balance of weapons and enemies

for more interesting gameplay mods you may want to try things like GMOTA, DemonSteele or space pirate (if its out yet)
>>
>>344969886
Ultimate = better level design

Doom II = better weapon balance and enemy variety

Doom 64 = horror in doom while still mostly playing like a true doom game

Doom PS1 = some unique levels only in this version although you could play them in wads anyways, also has a unique enough feel that it is worth at least to mess around a bit with it

Doom 3 = underrated game that although had many things wrong with it also did a lot of interesting thinigs to

NU-DOOM = I have not played it yet

Never played a single bad Doom game not counting awful ports.
>>
>>344971017
There is a level where there is a counter invasion of Hell with tanks, jet fighters, and about a hundred AI allies with you.

It is so awesome, I don't care if it's unbalanced.

Level vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLL9MyOF2E
>>
>>344970878
please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRn9BRo4Igw
>>
>>344971162
you gonna justify fanfiction that plays like shit? lemme guess you enjoy terry wads as well
>>
>>344970532
>praised by people who did not get what the game is about

John Romero likes it.
Or at least, he thinks it's hilarious and kind of wishes Brutal Doom was the Doom they released in the '90s just to see the public fallout.
>>
>>344971295
DangerMouse
>>
>>344971295
I really enjoy Mm....Food
>>
File: Careful bait.png (3 KB, 123x123) Image search: [Google]
Careful bait.png
3 KB, 123x123
>>344971286
>>
>>344971295
King Geedorah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paTlPVW991A
>>
>>344971295
Vaudeville Vidyagaems
>>
File: vaudeville-villain.jpg (82 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
vaudeville-villain.jpg
82 KB, 600x600
>>344971295
either of the viktor vaughn albums. i prefer vaudeville villain to venomous villain though.
>>
>>344970532
What the fuck are you talking about

BD: Ebic Blood, Gore, and sprite mid, harder difficulty options, some modern aspects that don't change the game too much
Misery: Literally that. Enemies are unfair and everything is against your odds for absolutely no reason at all.
>>
>>344971295
I've never listend to MF DOOM, does he really just rap about food?
>>
2>1>44>3
>>
File: index.png (6 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
index.png
6 KB, 224x225
>>344971547
>>
They're all the best Doom game

Except Doom 3
>>
EVA SINCE THE WOMB TIL I'M BACK WHERE MY BROTHER WENT
>>
>>344971547
> don't change the game too much
>IMP-FUCKING-LYING
how about death animations of enemies that block your rockets and projectiles, basically fucking you in the ass when fighting a crowd?
how about godmode when using fatalities that heal you?
how about earrape caused by screams of enemies?
how about weapon balance being fucking retarded and breaking many maps?
how about hitscan enemies sniping you across the map with REALLY high accuracy?

I could add some more things to the pile, such as author being manchild and community attributing sourceport features to the mod, such as mouselook, but I think this short list should give you a hint.

>inb4 this barely changes anything
it changes A LOT
play any bigger or hell play any custom map and you will see for yourself
>>
>>344971558
Only on Mm.. Food
>>
>>344971927
To go fatality God mode, you have to punch an enemy quite a few times, even a common pinky. This leaves you very vulnerable so it's only fair, since enemies are *much* deadlier in melee range in BD than vanilla

The only death animations I think you are talking about is when they lose a limb and began kneeling and bleeding out. It's actually not even that big of a deal, Doom games have plentiful of ammunition to begin with.

The enemies are also not hitscan. In fact I think in vanilla they were.

One thing I won't defend is the brutality bonus. That is just dumb. But the rest has compromises and I don't see why this is a bad thing

I heard the creator and fans are assholes, but this has nothing to do with the mod itself

And Black Metal difficulty is how Doom is meant to be played. That shit is lit as fuck.
>>
>>344969886
It is. Doom 2 is the best if you value modability over the included maps. but judging it from an out of the box perspective Ultimate Doom is the Ultimate Doom.
>>
>>344972491
or pick up berserk pack and oneshot nearly everything, since fist has high refire rate its ezpz

its not about ammunition, its about body acting as a cover and others not getting hit, another case might be when you shoot shotgun at such body and bullets ricochet back at you

not hitscan, just insanely fast projectile, same problem tho, they are too accurate at range and you will get fucked even by a zombie that you cant see

nah, choc doom is how it was meant to be played, no mouselook except for turning left and right and crisp low res graphics.

brutal doom works as its own thing, but the bigger problem than the mod is community that wants to run it with every map and every other mod out there without realizing that they are incompatible, and some things can be seriously broken, iirc you cant even play Valiant with BD
>>
>>344972684
Episode 4 was fucking trash
Episode 3 was good at first and meh later
Episode 2 was lame as he'll
Episode 1 was perfect

I don't see how anyone can say UD>Doom 2
>>
>>344972916
because D2 has shitty levels all around

also Ep4 was added in Ultimate version and it was designed as 2hard4u

hell first two maps are the hardest ones
>>
File: slp.jpg (55 KB, 480x472) Image search: [Google]
slp.jpg
55 KB, 480x472
>>344970874
Why is it always white people who post this? Do consider yourself a superior white?
>>
File: 3432324.png (41 KB, 130x130) Image search: [Google]
3432324.png
41 KB, 130x130
>>344973095
>mfw I read the Romero made E4M2 in 8 hours in the early morning.
No wonder that level was a fucking mess.
>>
Doom 1 - Amazing game
Doom 2 - It's more of the same but better, with more hectic and crazy levels and more insanity
Doom 3 - A betrayal to what Doom stood for, what was before a "fuck yeah" game which almost went together with some kind of a metal album, Doom 3 is much slower of a game, even on its own the game is too easy boring and slow. It takes itself too seriously and the art style is too black, if you look at other Dooms they were pretty damn colourful, they still had areas which were in pitch darkness but after that you'd get something much more vibrant.

Doom 3 in a gameplay stand point doesn't have much to bring, it isn't hard, it isn't intense, it isn't scary. The best part about this game is its graphics and impressive use of shadows, but that's really it. Level design is very linear, finding secrets isn't more about exploring the levels, it's more about just finding codes for certain doors to open them up. It doesn't deserve the name Doom, from a gameplay standpoint this is anything but Doom.

Doom 4 - A return to the form, the insanity is back along with are the vibrant colors. It puts great focus on actually fighting the demons, rather than Doom 3's "spooki" gameplay.
>>
>>344971098
> Doom 3 = underrated game

What is this meme? The only thing the game bringed out was good sound desing and use of shadows, the gameplay itself is shallow, boring and slow.
>>
>>344971395
The people want to know, and they want to know NOW
>>
>>344974517
Doom 4 colors are Orange black and some red. They are far from vibrant
>>
>>344974576
And what is this meme of shitting on Doom 3 ever since NU-DOOM came out?

Before NU-DOOM was even a thing and was basically in development hell there were numerous threads that praised Doom 3 as an underrated game with flaws. Now people shit on the game but that is because of bethesda shitters are doing it. Doom 3 is a decent game. Nothing shit about it.
>>
>>344973604
It's because MFDoom sucks and only white people actually find his shit entertaining.
>>
>>344975259
I felt bad no one would reply, so here's a (you)
>>
>>344974935
You're confusing vibrancy with variety.
>>
>>344971295
Mm...Food
>>
>>344972916
4>2>1>3 and 3 is still better than Doom 2.

Deathmatch me, cunt.
>>
File: Screenshot_Doom_20160714_134813.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_Doom_20160714_134813.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>What's the best DOOM game?

Brutal Doom played on maps generated by Oblige.

>tfw this shit kept me entertained for 2 weeks straight while I was lying in a hospital bed.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.