[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does it sell like pancakes in Japan while it sells like waffles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
Why does it sell like pancakes in Japan while it sells like waffles in the Wild Wild West?
>>
File: 1440695972111.jpg (175 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1440695972111.jpg
175 KB, 850x850
Dragon Quest set the standard for marketing games in Japan. Games are still using the marketing tactics Dragon Quest eatablished in 1987. Even Final Fantasy and Pokemon still emulate Dragon Quest marketing.

While the series gets next to no marketing outside Japan. Though despite such limited marketing, its still one of the 5 top selling JRPG series in the west. So clearly there is a dedicated fanbase for it. It just needs marketing to draw in the audience who doesn't know about it. Or impulse buyers who only buy a game when they see a commercial for it.
>>
Square Enix's treatment of Dragon Quest in the west has been less than exemplary. They treat JRPG series that sell even less far better.

Star Ocean 5 gets a quick localization confirmation, while we'll go through 2017 with just teases of a possible DQXI localization
>>
Because Japs can actually read DQ in normal ass jap compared to english-speakers who have to read it in retardanese, french who have literal meme translations, and spanish who just get their localizations fucked up.
>>
>>344949815

So annoyed by that. Star Ocean 5 is probably going to see teped sales and negative reviews. But SE will still greenlight Star Ocean 6. Yet DQVIII and IX sell 1.5 million and they follow that up by going 4 years without a DQ game. 8 years if you count the last DQ game SE localized without the help of Nintendo.
>>
>>344947054
First game sold like crazy because it was THE game to play in 1986. Following games built upon that popularity. So anything with the Dragon Quest brand and a bit of marketing will sell like hotcakes in japan. On the other hand, Dragon Warrior didn't do particularly well in the west, and neither did the later Dragon Quest games. Not to mention the fact that the games themselves are mediocre. Therefore it can't sell off of the series' popularity, therefore it isn't worth marketing as much, therefore it doesn't sell well.
>>
>>344952015

The first DQ actually didn't sell well, since people in Japan didn't like RPGs at the time and it had little marketing. It wasn't until Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama both wrote multiple articles in Shounen Jump and a few other magazine publications that sales took off. And people got hooked.

Following this, Dragon Quest used magazine articles and TV appearances as a standard for marketing. Which most other games started emulating, including Final Fantasy a couple years later.

So actually, it took a lot of effort to get Dragon Quest popular. And DQ not only established JRPGs, but also the standards for marketing a game in Japan.
>>
>>344947719
You mean those live action commercials?
>>
>>344953381
Did we ever find out if DQ1 came out on MSX or FC first?
That's another factor as well.
Japs have a retarded hard on for Famicom.
>>
>>344947054
dairy queen
>>
>>344947054
Poor marketing. It's a household name in Japan so they don't have to try, and they don't bother trying here.
>>
>>344953636
It was Multiplatform on the same year. DQ was a pioneer of many trends in the industry, you see.
>>
>>344953943
I don't care about the same year, I care about the month and day.
And no, several games were multiplat before DQ, you fucking image macro gushfest.
>>
>>344954341
Calm down, anon. I suggested same year multiplatform. And I know about the myriads of tennis/pong and Pac-Man ports. Anyways, MSX version came on November of the same year. The day itself is not easy to find. Still, that's a 6-7 month gap. But there's your answer. The Famicom version came before the MSX version.
>>
File: 1233280539813.jpg (461 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
1233280539813.jpg
461 KB, 1600x800
>>344953636

I have no idea. But I would think that it came out on Famicom first since it was made specifically for the famicom controller in mind. And I know that at least Dragon Quest II was 'ported' to MSX after the famicom version released. With a couple extra things.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.