[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm going into my final year of college for computing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-07-14_00.25.17.png (8 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-14_00.25.17.png
8 KB, 1024x1024
So I'm going into my final year of college for computing. They want us to create something from scratch pretty much, I was planning on making a basic game, much like Zelda or pokemon (simple as in 2d with few mechanics) I only know java and python.

The game I want to make is of Berserk, I plan on only doing what's covered in the original TV series, but in the style of zelda.

What language should I do it in? Java or Python with Pygame, or should I just star learning a new language? PS I have this summer break, as well as the whole college year, is it do able?
>>
dont even try to make a game with narrative or graphics or anything
they're grading you on the fucking programming
making a game is hard enough as it is
>>
>>344921512
I did a similar sort of thing for my Senior Project course, it was the whole semester (4 months) plus documentation and an outline of what I planned to have accomplished. I basically got done with 2 sub-par levels and 2 classes of a faux RPG and such. If you haven't worked with graphics libraries before, it will be a challenge. It basically took me working 4-6 hours a day, plus stealing a lot of graphics, to get it done, and it was a very buggy result. Doable yes, but hopefully more polished than what I did.
>>
>>344921813
Adding on to this, I used C# with XNA graphics library, this was back in 2012.
>>
>>344921751
This.

You're underestimating how much work it takes to even make a shitty game.
>>
>>344921751
They're not grading it on the coding, its some shitty back end course. From scratch also means I can do a spreadsheet that calculates grades... Im more advanced than that, and want to make a game, purely for the enjoyment of it
>>
Focus on doing one level, veeeeery subpar graphics (pixel shit works best), and remember what >>344921751 says, they're grading your programming.
>>
I did a shootem up in Java for my final year and it was a fucking pain. Shit will go wrong, especially if you have other modules to deal with, so try keep it simple enough for now.
>>
>>344922046
OK, I think I should be able to get that done, thanks for the advice guys
>>
>>344922304
Also, anyone know if I where to complete the game or whatever in a few years, and released it for free, would I be sued? I know jack shit about copywrite
>>
>>344922435
If you release it for free, the worst that can happen is a C&D, but I doubt the mangaka is asshole enough to do that.
>>
>>344921512

So I'm going into my final year of college for computing. They want us to create something from scratch pretty much, I was planning on making a basic game, much like Zelda or pokemon (simple as in 2d with few mechanics) I only know java and python.

wouldn't be more meaningful program an AI or write a new module for Android/Linux?

why do you want to do the lowest type of programming? You better do a website, they are at the same level of importance
>>
I'd give your ass a failing grade for doing more fucking Golden Age shit. Lost Children or go home.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.