[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iron Sights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 29
File: Mk_48_Iron_Sights_BOII.png (552 KB, 1084x662) Image search: [Google]
Mk_48_Iron_Sights_BOII.png
552 KB, 1084x662
Why does this trigger so many people, /v/? I simply fail to understand why someone be opposed to such a basic mechanic that happens to be so prevalent in modern first person vidya.

So please help me better understand and give me one (1) valid reason why this feature is bad.
>>
>>344920374
slows down the pace of the game, makes camping more effective, trivializes the importance of movement and reaction time.
>>
>>344920374
Whoever aims first wins
>>
>>344921487
It actually makes camping less effective. A game where you have to crouch and sit still to get a good shot promotes it.
>>
>>344921543
That's like who ever shoots first wins first.
>>
File: 1387609151863.png (224 KB, 800x424) Image search: [Google]
1387609151863.png
224 KB, 800x424
>>344920374
It has its ups and downs, depending on the game, though from where you got your image, it promotes sitting in a corner.

also >>344921487, to a point, has a point
This nigga has a point but it really, really depends on what game you're playing

Not everything needs to be an arena shooter, though, see
>ARMA
>Squad
>BF:PR
>>
>>344920374
Because nobody gets it right. Most games make you horribly inaccurate when not aiming and pinpoint accurate when you are.
A game that actually gets it right is Insurgency because you still shoot where you're aiming.
>>
File: enough.jpg (14 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
14 KB, 316x202
>>344920374

Go chug Monsters and listen to dubstep you fucking millennial. The "muh realism" meme is what killed modern FPS.
>>
>>344920374
I don't usually like it but I think Ace of Spades (the old version) does it nicely.
Literally zero delay when you decide to use it, and the gun is still perfectly usable without it.
>>
Because it's a mechanic to make shit players feel good about themselves and get a few free kills.
>can't hit shit past 5 yards without using iron sights
>move through the map
>get shot at by some fag hosting a barbecue in a corner somewhere
>wait a minute for your character to shoulder his rifle as you stop sprinting
>aim at him
>wait another 40 fucking minutes as your character slowly goes to rest his cheek against the stock
>if by some miracle he still hasn't managed to hit you yet, you're now free to fight back
>>
File: ironsights.png (253 KB, 586x1023) Image search: [Google]
ironsights.png
253 KB, 586x1023
>>344920374
Here you go

Ironsights are a cancer that has a ripple effect through every other area of FPS design.

Only exception is if your game is a full on tactical shooter
>>
>>344921556
that doesn't make any sense. in a game with no ADS there's no reason to camp at all unless you're using an explosive weapon.
>>
>>344922404
>Decided by who shoots first

...how is this a bad mechanic
>>
File: 1445787552149.png (869 KB, 753x706) Image search: [Google]
1445787552149.png
869 KB, 753x706
>>344922404
>shooting without ironsights is too inaccurate
>can only either move or shoot

ARMA III and APEX would like to have a particular fucking word with you, you simple fucking chump.
>>
>>344920374
>give me one (1) valid reason why this feature is bad
Because u like it.
>>
>>344923645
that actually has nothing to do with iron sights and everything to do with health. in games that have iron sight aiming, health is typically lower than in arena shooters to emphasize the realistic military theme. in arena shooters where players have large amounts of health and shields, the most accurate player will always get the kill or cause his opponent to retreat, regardless of who shot first.
>>
It's artificial complexity. The mentality behind it is not sustainable.
>>
>>344922404
I don't think skill is what people want in game anymore. They want fun. Arena shooters are dead because of the high skill levels. There it's still wrong. If you make a stupid counter argument about how great overwatch is it still has huge hitboxs. Again, arena is dead.
>>
>>344923645
Freeze tag gets boring after a while
>>
>>344923629
>camping doesn't exist in cs go

retard.

Dude is right. There is much less camping in ADS games.
>>
>>344921676
I really liked how Killing Floor handled it. Iron sights made it easier to accurately aim (due to no crosshair) and either didn't affect accuracy at all or made the gun slightly more accurate
>>
>>344920374

Because there should be a stance in between holding the gun at your hip and steadily aiming down the sights while moving at a snails pace and no game does this.
>>
>>344920374
Because it takes up the fucking screen shoving the gun in the players face.
>>
>>344926128
>camping doesn't exist in cs go
It doesn't. What the hell are you talking about? You get laughed at in CS if you say somebody is camping. How the hell is there less camping in ADS games when the mere fact that you have to ADS for accurate shots means that the guy sitting in a corner with his sights up has a distinct advantage over the guy moving without them up?
>>
>>344927419
>It doesn't.

Lol. Yeah people don't camp doorways and corners with their crosshairs held head high.

What game do you play? Silver 1? Yeah I guess silvers run around like retards.

Fact is camping has nothing to do with ads or not. But everything with movement speed, accuracy while moving and health.
>>
I can be handled poorly but that's rarely actually the case. Usually it's just PC FPS purists who don't like change and only want games to be like they were in the mid to late 90s. Some games do a great job of marrying ADS mechanics with a faster general pace, but it's not an easy task.

>>344921487
>slows down the pace of the game,
Black Ops 3's pace is really fast and it features irons sights along side jetpacks, powersliding and wallrunning.

>>344922342
>can't hit shit past 5 yards without using iron sights
BO3 offers laser sight options to tighten your hipfire cone.
>get shot at by some fag hosting a barbecue in a corner somewhere
Sounds like you aren't slicing dem pies or learning popular camp out spots
>wait another 40 fucking minutes as your character slowly goes to rest his cheek against the stock
Again, Black Ops 3 has it so you can choose to have instantaneous ADS if you want.
>>
>>344925038
Also, people moved away from individual vs everyone else to team based multiplayer. I don't think it's any coincidence that arena and fighting games competitively took a back seat to team based multiplayer games, like csgo, halo, tf2, cod, ect. People want teams for whatever reason. I think combat sports are better forms of competition, but it's clear mass audiences prefer teams sports, and I think it's the same with video games.
>>
>>344927797
I'd consider that more just playing defense rather than camping, but I suppose it just depends on your definition.
>>
>>344927928
>Black Ops 3's pace is really fast and it features irons sights
that's because the call of duty games have auto-aim, dumbshit.
>>
>>344928160
>that's because the call of duty games have auto-aim, dumbshit.
no, they feature aim assist, which pretty much just makes your crosshairs slightly "sticky" when you put them over a player. It helps you track moving targets with dual analogs.
>>
>>344920374
the premise of any shooter is (or should be) that you are already aiming. so as a visual metaphor, having an "i'm aiming now" mode basically means that the normal mode is "oh shit what the fuck am i doing" mode. it's a shitty metaphor.

mechanically, all it does is slow down the input speed so you have finer precision, something that is largely only necessitated by playing with inferior input devices. if the game is designed around inferior controls, then it's a shitty game
>>
the core issue is that ironsights (and the 'sprint' button) was designed to make fps more mechanically engaging on a handheld controller, ie, it enables lesser players to believe they are interacting

the core assumption of ironsights, where you can see further, and the gun no longer shakes, is wholly arbitrary, like any aspect of any video game

and all of this exists solely to make pro-nation and pro-war propaganda easily accessible to the very normies and unintelligent people who powerful people need to use as soldiers
>>
>>344922404
Counterstrike, one of the most popular multiplayer shooters out there, doesn't have irons and completely invalidates the first paragraph.
>>
/k/ommando here literally just accidentally came to the wrong board ans saw this at the top of the page. What a coincidence!

I don't necessarily understand the context of your discussion, but most skilled shooters agree that iron sights are preferred for faster target acquisition at 150 yards or less. Anything beyond 150 yards an optic is preferred for any real combat situation. You can still be accurate with iron sights at longer distances, but lose vital target acquisition time.
>>
>>344921543
That's usually how firefights play out in real life. I don't see an issue with it.
>>
>>344928342
that's what i was talking about, dumbshit.
>>
File: 1458171623093.png (28 KB, 348x205) Image search: [Google]
1458171623093.png
28 KB, 348x205
>>344928685
>>
>>344928773
real life is boring, video games are supposed to have things you can't do in real life.
>>
>>344928859
auto-aim is way different from aim assistance anon. Learn your terminology.
>>
>>344927967
If arena wants to make a comeback it has to update its mechanics that were made from 1996.

All of the mechanics need to be reformed to fit the needs of the general audience. The whole reason why arena purists are so few is because those people are generally good at the game and took the time to learn. Purists kicked out the rest of the world and don't understand why arena shooters aren't successful. The skill level is too high. That's why Quake champions is getting classes to meet the needs of all players.
>>
>>344928989

exactly, simulating reality is evidence of both a creative deficit, and a willingness to ignore creative development (or art) in order to sell a product
>>
>nobody mentioned Dirty Bomb
it has ADS and it's the fastest modern FPS by a wide mile, because ADS is only effective when you are certain you won't miss and at long distances, otherwise your hip fire is more effective and won't impair your movement

the mechanic is fine, it just needs to be implemented in a way that makes it balanced
>>
>>344929052
I know all the correct terminology for an ADS shooter:

12 year old
idiot

that about covers it
>>
>>344921543
even without iron sights, eg: counter-strike, it's going to be "whoever lets their cross-hairs center first wins"

it's the same god damned thing
>>
File: FB_IMG_1468453008168.jpg (35 KB, 720x552) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1468453008168.jpg
35 KB, 720x552
>tfw no game's iron sights will ever match the quality of the Killing Floor lever action rifle's iron sights
>>
>>344928773
I don't either really, but most kiddies only want the illusion of realism. They want a realistically modeled AKM, but for what it actually does it might as well be shooting lasers or magic missiles.

People also get pissy because if they get killed too quickly, they complain about not having a fighting chance to shoot back, which is why headshots often only do 2x damage, but can't kill you, most games have no ability to one shot, TTK keeps getting longer because people cry about it.
>>
>>344929221
lol u mad faggot
>>
>>344928989
Or something don't want to do in real life.
>Joining the army
>Grabbing big tiddies.

I did the latter and got fired from my job. The squeeze was great.
>>
>>344920374
I literally can't play any game without it, and I fail to understand why it took game developers so long to do that...
>>
>>344928521
>>344928449
>>344922404

the answer to OP's question, and an explanation for why these games are best suited for normies and non-gamers is already covered by these posts
>>
>>344928989
Can you fly a CAS op in an A10?

Can you drive a T90 and shoot up Marines?

At this point, fighting as an active front line combatant in a contemporary war against the Russians or the Chinese is in the same fantasy land as WoW.
>>
>>344929052
it doesn't matter dumbshit, they are interchangeable words. the game is AUTOMATICALLY assisting your aim. you knew exactly what i was talking about, you just wanted to deny that it exists because it makes you feel less skilled, so you decided to argue semantics.
>>
>>344920374
Because it separates effective movement from effective attacking.

You have two different modes where you can only do one thing each, rather than being able to do them both at the same time. Considering they use the same control scheme.

The only real purpose of this in most games is to make it easier on unskilled people by making it so they only have to focus on one at a time.

That said it has it's purpose, but unless you're playing something going for maximum realism it's really unneeded.
>>
>>344920374
THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING WRONG WITH IRON SIGHTS

ALL CS:GO/ARENA FPS FAGS NEED TO FUCKING HANG
>>
>>344928989
Most of the shit that comes out today is less interesting than a good op in ARMA 3.
>>
>>344920374
Wasn't this the first game that used them?
Even before CoD

It was really cool idea back then because it added some realism
>>
>>344922302
its called buildandshoot now
>>
>>344929853
there's literally nothing wrong with being poor, unintelligent, uninformed, or unfulfilled

there's always going to be some level of personal achievement that's simply too difficult for you to reach
>>
>>344928085
certified moron
>>
>>344920374

It's not bad, it just doesn't fit in a lot of games.
>>
>>344929838
That was probably the thing with Iron Sights. As far as I can tell, first game that ever used them was Operation Flashpoint, which was going for max realism and became the basis for Virtual Battle Space, a simulator several militaries and law enforcement use to this day.

However, other game devs picked it up just because they thought iron sights looked cool, without any appreciation or understanding of why Bohemia Interactive did what it did and the systems and mechanics going into it and just started slapping it on ad hoc without any thought about if it would even fit the sort of game they were making.
>>
Arenafags still buttblasted about the death of their favorite FPS sub genre.
>>
>>344926570
>what is GTA V depressing the trigger halfway for 1000 Alex
>>
>>344930435
the first fps didn't have ADS so iron sights are the sub-genre.
>>
File: 0634567.jpg (38 KB, 618x459) Image search: [Google]
0634567.jpg
38 KB, 618x459
>>344920374
Because Call of Duty does it that means everyone has to hate it.
>>
>>344930001
I think Operation Flashpoint has it beat by a year or two.
>>
>>344930435
you now realize that overwatch, the most shilled game on /v/ ever, is an arena shooter

you can't have it both ways

either blizzard is trying to cram a dead genre down our throats, or arena shooters are still popular
>>
>>344928685
The context is when you pull up the gun to your face in video games and zoom in so you can aim better. Usually this means that if you don't have the gun to your face, the gun is very inaccurate even if your reticule is in the right spot. It's quite frustrating. It also tends to limit your movement speed so if you want to hit anything you pretty much have to stop. And the games aren't particularly realistic anyway so that kind of mechanic doesn't really do the games any service
>>
>>344928989
I didn't know you could die 38 times in an hour in real life. Brb...
>>
>>344930779
i didn't know you could be so bad.
>>
>>344930434
>However, other game devs picked it up just because they thought iron sights looked cool
No, as I said, it's deliberate casualisation. It's easier on people who aren't actually good at shooters because they only need to focus on one thing at once.
>>
>>344930751
Ha, you're retarded. What is an arena shooter when it has big hit boxes and uses team play. Arena was remembered for being skilled solo deathmatch. Don't think about mentioning team deathmatch in that game just because this is the moment you just remembered it.
>>
>>344930751
Overwatch is many things. An arena shooter, it is not.
>>
>>344930871
The worst I remember ever doing in a multiplayer fps was in bad company 2 going something like 10 kills and 70ish deaths. Not counting any custom games like halo
>>
>>344928989
Wrong you mongoloid, doing things like fighting a realistic war is something you can do in video games without the actual risk of dying, thus something you cant do in real life

I cnt believe fucking morons exist that dont understand the most basics of escapism
>>
File: keelall.jpg (405 KB, 2065x756) Image search: [Google]
keelall.jpg
405 KB, 2065x756
>>344930948
What counts as a big hitbox
>>
>>344920374
/v/ is filled with idiots

/thread
>>
>>344930912
>it's deliberate casualisation
If you subscribe to the retardation that the ONLY kind of FPS there can be are arena shooters.
>>
>>344931370
>calls others idiots
>/thread his own post
>>
>>344921487
Blacklight has iron sights yet you're not going to use them unless you're trying to get headshots from afar or using a sniper rifle. Camping is useless due to HRV coupled with map design, which makes movement specially important. You still need to react fast because any semi-decent gun that isn't a bullet hose kills anyone in 6 shots at most, 4 if you're on semi-auto.
>>
>>344920374
they're not aligned
still it will be something that wont be removed, would be better if you don't have crosshairs because they were used instead of having the ironsights using almost half of the screen
>>
Ironsights work with simulator shooters like Red Orchestra and Arma, no other type of game should have ironsights
>>
>>344920374
It's good when it's kept in semi realistic games like ARMA and RO
Otherwise it needs to go
>>
who gives a shit, Iron sights make the game harder to play, That's why no one uses it.. not that hard to figure out.
>>
>>344920374
ITS FUCKING SHIT

It should be like CS:GO, a true skillful game.

In CS:GO it uses inaccuracy instead to punish the player to not hit enemies if they're too quick to shoot and thats much better than shitty fucking ironsights.
>>
>>344931302
no you can't fight a realistic war in video games because there are no video games that even come close to representing realistic warfare.
>>
>>344931502
then that game must have accurate hip shot, so it's not like typical ADS game format.
>>
>>344930912
Yeah, because ARMA and other milsims are so casual, right?
>>
File: 2A9lm7.png (687 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
2A9lm7.png
687 KB, 612x612
>>344920374
FUCKING NIGGER REDDITOR GO BACK TO YOUR SHIT SITE

THIS IS FOR HEARDCORE GAMERS
>>
>>344931317
The fact that it's doubled in size and you don't need to relatively accurate.
>>
>>344921684
Also Red Orchestra:Ostfront

The gun still shoots exactly as accurately you just can't aim it as well.
>>
>>344931762
Yeah, mostly due to having very little recoil on anything that isn't an AMR or a LMG. Slap a sniper scope on a SMG and you've got every situation that isn't long range covered.
>>
>>344921487
literally this. having to slow down to a snails pace to aim reliably means players can't dodge each other and whoever shoots first wins
>>
>>344931652
Cs go would be a million times better if it did what uncharted did for firing your gun with a pattern. It made small dots on where your shots were going to fix your aim.
>>
>>344932012
So like CS:GO?
>>
>>344930948
>>344931097

any single time you guys get cornered by being stupid, you move the goalposts

Im sorry , if you're so fucking stupid that you don't know we're discussing iron sights I'm not sure I can help you. OW doesn't have ironsights, therefore it perfectly fits the criteria of games that are new, active, and aren't ADS

Which goalposts are you going to move next? Are you going to say that Overwatch is not actually popular? I agree with you and already said that

pick a new word in this post that might have a different meaning so you can still be right. you have my permission
>>
>>344920374

It's literally autism.

>I'm not going sonic fast 0/10 shit game

seriously all there is to it. For whatever fucking reason autism always comes back to sonic.
>>
File: Eu3tGrp.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Eu3tGrp.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
I thought this thread was bout iron sights vs red dot sights.
People actually hate aiming down sights?
You people must hate other basic actions like jumping or reloading.
What the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>344932121
Quit being stupid and acting like I moved the goal post when thats how it's discussed all the time on /v. Quit acting like you didn't move the goal post and get some common decency.
>>
>>344920374
depends on the game. i like the ones where you dont have a crosshair so it still has a purpose but is not inaccurate without it, like stalker. i dislike team fortress 2 and cod ads because it alters gameplay with lower damage and hipfire inaccuracy which is boring. inb4 mofe B-BUT CS like im not the autist every thread shitting on it. all too many times ads serves to gimp the player and i miss when it was just an fov change
>>
File: 1466616088943.webm (97 KB, 252x208) Image search: [Google]
1466616088943.webm
97 KB, 252x208
>its a every fps should be quake and CS argument
>>
>>344932121
Just because Overwatch is popular doesn't make it an arena shooter, which is what we were taking issue with you fucking faggot.

>>344930751
>you now realize that overwatch, the most shilled game on /v/ ever, is an arena shooter

That's where it went wrong. Overwatch is not an arena shooter. It is not in the same genre as games like Quake, Unreal, early Doom multiplayer, ect.
>>
>>344928656
>>344932075
CS is an exception.

usually games with iron sights have high spread when moving or hip firing to encourage ADS

games without ADS have normal spread

CS spices things up by having no iron sights AND high spread.
>>
>>344931667
Virtual Battle Space?
>>
>>344932139
>implying both speed and ads at the same time isnt better than just ads and no speed
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 1366x768
>>344929420
>tfw i've fucked like 3 of my bosses. even if one wasn't that hot. they all hate me now.

Cmon familia, step your game up.
>>
>>344932523
Quake fags are butt hurt no one plays dead genre shooters anymore.
>>
>>344932665
>its a nobody should have opinions about game mechanics controlfreak
>>
>>344933059
Sorry, I don't have a personality. I get what I can my high standards.
>>
>>344932916
it doesn't matter how realistic you try to make it, it's still a game, you're still staring at a screen and inputting commands with a mouse and keyboard. there is no way to simulate the panic and adrenaline of real warfare. also that's just a mission simulator, there are many other aspects of warfare that occur when you're not on a mission.
>>
>>344920374
>one (1)
Aren't you supossed to write this the other way around? 1 (one)
>>
the majority on /v/ is right about ironsights but as usual can't express a point coherently for shit.

they're bad in ARENA games. they ruin what are supposed to be fast-paced shooters. everyone understands this. but people who played a modern CoD game one time (which you should note is the MOST glaring example of ironsights done poorly) start to spew shit about how they're a bad mechanic.

they're a necessary mechanic in every realistic or pseudo-realistic shooter that isn't an arena shooter.
>>
>>344920374
your mouse is your aiming device, you shouldn't need to press another button to "aim better"

>you're playing a platformer game
>the boss just jumped and landed with a strong impact, and is sending a shockwave in your direction
>you position yourself and wait for the shockwave to come toward you
>you press jump
>you dive right into the shockwave, instead of up, because you weren't holding the "jump better" button, and rng said you were going to jump a different direction than what you had set up for
see how retarded this is?
it's the exact same system
>>
>>344933825
thanks for stating the obvious, really insightful
>>
>>344933428
That's a cop out. It's like saying graphics aren't realistic because they aren't 3d, since it's all just 2d pixels, and so even the most advanced graphics are pretty much at the same level as Pac Man or Missile Command in visual realism.

Especially since wars aren't exactly fueled on emotions anyway.
>>
File: 1335909871264.png (138 KB, 454x416) Image search: [Google]
1335909871264.png
138 KB, 454x416
>play Wolfenstein: TNO/TOB
>has Iron Sights
>they literally do nothing to affect accuracy
>it's merely a placebo effect for those who want it
>>
>>344930948
Pretty sure Quake 1's hitboxes were at least as big and rectangular
>>
>>344934313
no it's not a cop-out, you cannot replicate real warfare in a video game. in real life you have to fight against trained soldiers who know how to kill. in video games you fight against shit AI or armchair commando neckbeards. you don't have to feel gun recoil, you don't have to hear bullets whizzing past your head that can kill you instantly, you don't have to be able to function while panicking.
>>
>>344930751
>overwatch
>arena shooter
Just because a game doesn't involve the US military and has non-sepia colors in it doesn't meant it isn't functionally a casualized spunkgargleweewee console game.
>>
>>344929838
>You have two different modes where you can only do one thing each
Almost every one of these games has a sprint button that lowers your weapon and keeps you from firing anyway.
>>
>>344934640
So every FPS game but Quake and Doom 1/2 is automatically casual?
>>
>>344933986
>you shouldn't need to press another button to "aim better"...
>see how retarded this is?
It's not, really.
The point of the ironsights in most games is to focus your full attention on a small area instead of the whole screen.
You aim better by only taking into account what matters instead of the rest of the fucking world
>>
>>344934868
doom is actually a very casual game
>>
>>344934891
so there should be a "walk better" button where your character focuses on the ground so you don't trip
>>
>>344922097
Righteous cunts like you are the reason I can't stomach Counter-Strike anymore. Fuck off.
>>
>>344934620
So you'd consider say Capcom 1941 the same pretty much as DCS, since all anything ever is, is just computer code being manipulated in parameters. Weird, since I don't see people using a 1990 arcade game the way they use flight sims, I mean, they're both equally unrealistic, right, it's just different code.
>>
>>344935189
We could really use a "post better" button where every character focuses on the keyboard so they don't keep typing retarded shit.
>>
>>344935189
It already exists, it's the sprint/walk toggle button that exists in most games
>>
>>344935189
i would like a button to open your characters eyes as well
>>
>>344933208
>it's a "presumptuous retard wants to impose his own retarded concept of what fps games should be onto everything" episode
>>
>>344935513
we really should have a button for each eye control

and a button for each individual leg

those make sense, those are what the ironsights audience wants

what is this one button jump?
you use both feet to jump, let's press two buttons for jumping
>>
>>344933739
Anyone confirm please? This really triggers me
>>
>>344934679
Which is just as bad, your point?
>>
>>344935398
nope, i'd consider that video game warfare is not anything like real warfare. i don't know why you're using that stupid analogy in this context because what i am saying is incredibly simple and should be understood by a 5 year old.
>>
>>344935643
its my right as a consumer so yeah, literally no reason not to stigmatize things you dislike
>>
>>344920374
because it typically gimps your movement speed to shit and depending on the type of FPS it is, that fucking sucks.
>>
>>344933986
Your greentext was retarded and a shit example of the point you were trying to make.
Aiming down the sights involves an action of putting the sights to your characters face, which is very obvious.
>>
>>344934620
You remind me of those guys that say MMA/UFC pretty much has nothing to do with fighting because it isn't a street fight with knives, guns, and friends who'll jump the other guy, so it has nothing in common with a fight.
>>
I think it makes retards believe what they're doing is harder than it actually is because they are pressing an extra button. I think if suddendly CoD removed iron sights and improved the aim of all the weapons the game would be significantly harder but the community would think it's easier now because you don't have to ADS
>>
>>344935961
shallow

the crosshair represents where the character avatar is aiming
his character model puts the gun to his face when he is firing
>>
>>344928859

every other console shooter has this
>>
File: 1467653087013.jpg (21 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
1467653087013.jpg
21 KB, 225x350
>>344934620
>in real life you have to fight against trained soldiers who know how to kill
my time in the middle east says otherwise
>>
>>344920374
It depends entirely on what game you're talking about. In a series like Arma iron sights and other kinds of ADS aiming are both appropriate and useful. In a game like the new doom or another more fast paced shooter they are utterly worthless and only serve to slow the game down.
>>
>>344935652
i dont think modern iron sights is a complication thing actually, its basically a battle mode for consoles whereas without it they couldnt aim for shit. i for one would love to see a game where it took several inputs to do simple shit, would probably be fun multiplayer
>>
>>344936028
uh...what?

>>344936245
anecdote, no reason for me to believe you. and even if it's true that just means you went there late and missed the part where we fought Saddam's iraqi military.
>>
>>344936028
the problem with your stupid example is that UFC and street fighting are both part of the physical, real world. video games can't even fucking hurt you, but I bet a punch from both a UFC fighter and some thug hurt pretty fucking bad either way. nice try though.
>>
Because generally it's not very fun and only a small handful of game have guns actually fun enough to shoot for iron sights to even work like Red Orchestra or Battlefield.

All it does is fuck up your fov and slow you down which makes gunfights dull since all games that do this also give you fuck all health.
>>
>>344936110
You may as well play the game without the gun on the right side of the screen
>>
>>344936452
if we're going full hog simulator, it would definitely be more interesting to require intricate controls to reload rather than just single button press than pressing an "aim better" button
>>
>>344935831
No, I get it. There's also no such thing as 3d in video games since everything just takes place on a 2d plane and has no actual depth, in case someone needed that reminder as well.
>>
>>344936778
you cannot replicate real warfare in a video game.
>>
>>344927419
You are a fucking idiot.

Holding a bombsite is literally the definition of camping.
>>
>>344936863
You can't replicate 3d anything either unless you're sitting on a holodeck and haven't told anyone.
>>
>>344937072
video games can't kill you. video games cannot replicate real warfare.
>>
>>344922404
>ADS/irons slows movement to a crawl

That's why COD games have a stock attachment (makes moving while ADS faster
>>
>>344937214

yes they can fuck you capt. kirk
>>
>>344937214
Ok. Just like you can't do 3d either. You cannot create 3d anything. Cant happen, I understand, same deal. These are not mutually exclusive statements, we're just stating limits of the medium.
>>
File: 1429373071858.gif (816 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
1429373071858.gif
816 KB, 560x315
What if we make a game where ADS doesn't slow your movement down, and your gun doesn't spray bullets everywhere when """""hip-fired"""""? What if ADS only advantage is that it actually gives you the sights to look through, leading to a better idea of where your shot will go than the light crosshairs you'll invariably have on your screen, plus whatever zoom the optic itself has? And, additionally, giving you the ability to have a different sensitivity while ADS?
>>
Iron sights are style over substance

The only reason between ADS and standard shootan is the zoom and limited field of view.

I like them on revolvers, it just feels extremely fun to use.
>>
>>344929825
>auto aim
>aiming directs you to a target
>aim assist
>makes your aim drift slightly to the nearest target
>>
>>344937493
video games

cannot

replicate

anything
>>
File: 1462927801110.png (268 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
1462927801110.png
268 KB, 600x580
>>344921543
>This is what CS:GO fags ACTUALLY believe.
>>
>>344937568
Destiny did this, except for the speed one. Some weapon perks allowed you to move fast during ADS.

Unfortunately the game has no content and the netcode is terrible.
>>
>>344931502
hip fire in blacklight is fucking crazy, makes smg way too good. I still like ADS because of the kick ass sights you can use though
>>
>>344937683
thanks for not reading the whole post, now if you please go run across a highway during rush hour.
>>
>>344937752
In fact, nothing can replicate anything because it's never 100% the real thing. Because it's replication, it's not the real thing. Even if we straight up jacked you into the Matrix, it wouldn't be real.
>>
It was put in place to add realism which is fine in a realism type game.

When console fps became super popular it was added to compensate for mouse controls. With mouse you can do quick 180s and still keep a slow speed for tracking. In consoles it was added because there was only one speed. Now you can snap 180s and aim down sights to track. Which is fine, except it became the norm, even for pc shooters where it is unnecessary.
>>
ADS takes time, therefore you're more at an advantage if you are already stationary with your gun up, therefore it encourages camping
>>
>>344925038
They're actually fixing the Overwatch hitboxes. At least for Hanzo. Other characters aren't confirmed yet.
>>
Arena shooters are boring as fuck
>>
>>344938257
There's no such thing as realism.
>>
go back to quake faggots
>>
>>344938715
>the quality or fact of representing a person, thing, or situation accurately or in a way that is true to life.

Representing being the key word.
>>
>>344938925
How can you even come close to representing something true to life when you're missing an entire dimension of space ?
>>
>>344938257
as a rocket arena veteran i hope it never comes back, it's simply not fun anymore
>>
>>344937859
>ad hom
>>
>>344930250
Except that almost nobody I've ever played with bitches about camping on actual defense points and even games with far faster movement speed and no accuracy penalties will have people holding angles on defense, but I guess being a faggot is easier for you than considering that most people don't just bitch about everything and might have different definitions and standards for made up words.
>>
>>344939126
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real
>>
File: 1466015562180.png (13 KB, 744x615) Image search: [Google]
1466015562180.png
13 KB, 744x615
>>344932587
>team fortress 2
>ads
>>
>>344928449
theres a difference between accurate aiming and inaccurate aiming. You are implying that the hip fire mode is the player character doing fuck all when its a necessity to differentiate running and gunning and fine tuned sharp shooting. Modern military fps games especially COD and battlefield are balanced around guns being able to perform in ADS vs hip fire and its a necessary rock paper scissor dynamic
>>
>>344938065
someone read simulacra and simulcarum
>>
Yes OP this looks really that a lot of the trying to find fun has reached a point now where discovered anything from. Would have at nighttime on the first desire to do poorly done. From you're insane for his to prison have baloney. No beyond ludicrous crowded means even less.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>344935513
Next thing you know certain games will have a "blink" button.

Oh wait...
>>
>>344921487
This is only true for console. PC games that don't have iron sights like CSGO have to rely on RNG bullet spread to account for how easy it is to hipfire with a mouse and keyboard.
>>
>>344937214
>video games can't kill you.
I dunno, losing a match in Overwatch makes me want to commit suicide.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 715x596) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 715x596
>>344925038
>arena shooters are dead

What the fuck are you talking about?DOOM and Overwatch are the reason arena shooters are making a comeback, have you forgotten Quake is on it's way?
>>
god forbid there are at least two major types of FPS games, right? it's almost like people think there's too much variety!
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>344922404
>the reason why ironsights are bad is because you walk slower and whoever shoots first wins

This is also problem in CS ironsights is not the main cause of this problem, get your uneducated MSPaint comic the fuck outta here.
>>
I think we can at least agree that as an action it makes 100% sense that it exists, but as a mechanic what it brings to the table are just cons and no real pros.

That's about it. You fags are overanalizing it as always.
>>
>>344927928
>Call of Duty
>fast
I want Sonyggers to leave.
nuDoom and OW are already fixing the cancerous shitstain you left on FPS
>>
File: jZ1wq.jpg (40 KB, 528x423) Image search: [Google]
jZ1wq.jpg
40 KB, 528x423
>>344939768
>Yes OP this looks really that a lot of the trying to find fun has reached a point now where discovered anything from. Would have at nighttime on the first desire to do poorly done. From you're insane for his to prison have baloney. No beyond ludicrous crowded means even less.
This is right up there with "Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"
>>
>>344940309
>What the fuck are you talking about?DOOM and Overwatch are the reason arena shooters are making a comeback, have you forgotten Quake is on it's way?
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAAHAHA HAHA HAHHAHAA HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 500x329
>>344941376
>>
>>344941064
>nuDoom and OW are already fixing the cancerous shitstain you left on FPS
>>344941376
>>
>>344941376
Why do people type out laughter?
>>
Insurgency is better than CSGO

it's just normies can't into 16 players servers with firefight gamemode

prove me wrong
>>
>>344941493
>truth is shitposting
spotted the summerfag
>>
>>344941570

Insurgency is hampered by terrible, terrible, useless maps that don't suit the gameplay at all.

CSGO, despite, imo, having the worse mechanics of the two, has well designed that maps that actually suits the game.
>>
>>344939298
nope, i said the words are interchangeable and he knew exactly what i was talking about which is true. stay out of conversations that you aren't a part of.
>>
File: image.png (197 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
image.png
197 KB, 500x332
>>344941643
>truth is greentexting a post you didn't agree with and typing out laughter like an autistic child

Ok, killer, your mom has your chocolate milk mix ready before you have to go night night, why don't you obey your parents and take a break from tge computer okay, champ?
>>
>>344921684
BOP3 s Shotguns make the least sense to me.
>Massive Hipfire spread
>Compact spread when aiming down sights.
>>
>>344941807

>I played insurgency just on 32 players servers and didn't actually enjoyed the game in it's intended mode

insurgency on small servesr with no respawn is neotokyo-tier
>>
>>344937786
Destiny is so close to being utterly amazing, but is absolutely hamstrung by a few key features, chief among them being tied to last gen consoles.
>>
>>344941643
>calling an objective shitpost "truth"
>using summerfag

Spotted the faggot who tries way too hard to fit in by using terms on 4chan after a day of lurking.
>>
>>344921487
>>344922404
>>344928449
not every game is an arena shooter you fucking autists
>>
>>344941064
So you haven't seen Black Ops 3? It's crazy fast

>everybody has endless sprint and sprints fast
>mantling is fast
>you can boost dash and jetpack jump or run along walls for shortcuts

It's a pretty damn fast. And don't spout some sort of elitist garbage at me about console plebs or CoD kiddies. I played Tribes Ascend from closed Beta all the way until it died of cancer. I mained scout in TF2. I know from fast.
>>
>>344942787
why does playing tribes in the past make call of duty less shit? you're shilling a game from a company run by an evil jew who would have his developers work for free if he could manage it.
>>
>>344920374
>obscures half screen
>slows down phase
>most is just horrible to aim with
>not even justifiable cause it's nothing like real life
>>
>>344939505
im talking about for sniper, where if you dont aim you do minimal damage and to kill you actually need to aim for 5 seconds
>>
>>344942961
>why does playing tribes in the past make call of duty less shit?
Wow. Your reading skills are garbage.
> you're shilling
No I'm not.
> from a company run by an evil jew who would have his developers work for free if he could manage it.
Any large publisher would do that if they could. Capitalism is a pretty nasty system. Deal with it or go live as a hermit.
>>
>>344928656
you tell me in a long range AK duel you don't move?
If it had iron sights both would just stand completely still
>>
>>344942235

Nice assumptions retard. The maps just suck.
>>
>>344943376
Or you could choose to give people decent movespeed while ADS
>>
>>344943226
call of duty is shit and anyone who likes it hasn't played the original games, because you would know how similar it is to those. you're a newbie and you just got into the series probably with MW2 or black ops. which is of course a fact you are going to deny, but i don't care, i'm going to sleep.
>>
File: 0lBXFeW.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
0lBXFeW.png
108 KB, 400x381
> Arenafags butthurt because their genre is irreverent

Going the way of the RTS and class-based RPG senpaitachi.
>>
File: 1465319366728.png (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1465319366728.png
39 KB, 640x480
>>344943604
Sure thing champ.

I find it funny how we've come full circle and now it's the people who hate on CoD who act like illiterate morons who can't think for themselves.
>>
>>344920374
It inherently slows down the game (therefore making it less fun) unless:
>your gun isn't any more accurate while sights are up
and
>your character isn't slowed down when sights are up
In which case it's an irrelevant and meaningless mechanic that has no reason to exist. Also the only game that's done both of those things was Serious Sam 3 IIRC.
>>
>games with iron sights
ok
>games with iron sights where your gun shoots fucking sideways if you aren't zoomed in
bad
>>
>>344943728
Such is the fate of any genre that takes skill in today's market.
>>
>>344933986
I agree, I like when mb2 just zooms in though.
>>
>>344933739
What are you, the meme police? I'll do what I want, nigger.
>>
File: 1447537191890.jpg (54 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
1447537191890.jpg
54 KB, 1000x666
>>344933986
/thread
this guy gets it.
>>
>>344940309
Overwatch isn't an arena shooter, retard.
>>344942065
Actually Call of Duty shotguns are even more retarded. Your spread is no different when you're aiming than when you hipfire, but if you hipfire a shogtun then the spread's center will be somewhere within your crosshair's spread just like any other gun. That's why you can fire nearly point blank with one and still miss.
>>
>>344943748
if you think cod is good you have awful taste.
>>
>>344933986
>implying jumping is anything like aiming

What a fucking retarded analogy. Never post again.
>>
>>344935468
But then nobody would be defending iron sights.
>>
>>344944139
yea, agree unless the game relies on being immersive like squad and pr
>>
>>344921487
First reply best reply.
>>
>>344937568
Killing floor sort of does this. ADS does slow you down but I'm pretty sure you're about as accurate even when hipfiring but you don't have a crosshair so it's just to see where you're aiming.
>>
>>344921543
That's more down to damage model rather than ADS itself.
>>
>>344944267
his analogy was stupid but his point was true.
aim and shoot with mouse and mb1
jump with space
move with wasd
I like it simple and that's where true skill will show
iron-sighting is for people who can't have fun with anything unless it resembles something they have seen before.
>>
>>344944093
Don't overcomplicate your post with shit that you aren't even going to bother writing correctly
>>
>>344920374
>Why does this trigger so many people, /v/? I simply fail to understand why someone be opposed to such a basic mechanic that happens to be so prevalent in modern first person vidya.

People can't understand the the iron sight mechanic enables a certain pacing for a game.

The tryhard arena crowd will cry about how iron sights give people who camp locations an advantage and that FPS's should be about twitch reflex and whatever.

Games that use iron sights correctly:
>Arma series
>Older battlefield games
>Red Orchestra

Games that use iron sights poorly
>Call of Duty
>newer Battlefield games

Rule of thumb is if you can't zero or adjust your sights then the game shouldn't have iron sights.
>>
File: Max Payne finds pills.gif (3 MB, 174x200) Image search: [Google]
Max Payne finds pills.gif
3 MB, 174x200
>>344933986
this is a shit analogy but I agree having a "better aim system" slows down gameplay. shooters that aren't supposed to be as tactical realistic as insurgency, CS:GO/:S or project reality dont need ironsights because it gets rid of another important aspect of the game.

Max Payne was an alright example of this, you not only had to worry about your positioning in every fight but also had to worry about getting shots in without taking many bullets yourself. It's all about movement and gunplay. More games need this kind of balance instead of bullshit. ADS can be good but aren't needed.
>>
The only reason we have iron sights in the first place is because humans are bad at aiming at long range without them in real life
but in a video game we don't have that problem so why bring it there?
>>
>>344945839
ADS kind of zooms in so it does help with aiming at long range
>>
>>344945839
You can't see shit beyond 200m in Arma
>>
>>344945914
I'm not opposed to the idea of zooming on mb2
it's the 100% more accuracy, obscure half screen 50% movement kind.
>>
>>344946049
w u mean, is it like a fog of war like in wc3?
>>
>>344945839
This
unless the game is not about fun mechanics but instead simulate infantry combat it adds something.
>>
i think we can all agree spread is a shit mechanic in shooters.
>>
>>344921487
first post best post.
>>
>>344946457
It can be executed right but mostly very shit indeed, I like how shotguns work for an example.
>>
>>344946457
Yes, because a fully-kicking mini uzi shooting reloads should be accurate to 1000 yards.
>>
>>344941807
>>344943458
The maps are okay and you do have a point. The overall game is really good besides the maps.

fuck sinjar
>>
>>344947038
yes
>>
>>344947042

It's mainly the damn out of bounds zones. On some control points they box you in so damn much on defense or barely allow you to maneuver as offense
>>
>>344936465
>missed the part where we fought Saddam's iraqi military.

Implying they were well trained. Despite being something like the 4th largest standing army at the time, they were still shit soldiers and got butt fucked by US and coalition forces.
>>
>>344947219
You forgot to mention that spawn raping is common.
Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.