[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought this game last year, what are the chances it comes out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: starcitizenl.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
starcitizenl.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
I bought this game last year, what are the chances it comes out?

Is this another Day Z scam?
>>
First part of the single player is at the end of the year/early next year mmo 1.0 is 2 years
>>
>>344870020
Do what are they spending the $116 million on?
>>
>>344870267
Do you know how much MMO's cost especially with decent graphics?
>>
>>344870351
No one can run 4k with more than 30fps so it's kind of pointless, they should've just kept it to 1080 and made a decent game.
>>
>>344870542
https://mmos.com/editorials/most-expensive-mmorpgs-ever-developed

MMO's are really expensive, add to that the overhead of creating a company from scratch and ambitious graphics/mechanics.

The budget isn't even close to be more than enough, they'll probably need even more because they keep adding stupid gimmicks to the list instead of creating the base game and then build on that with the capital it creates.
>>
File: 1450959853797.jpg (63 KB, 369x491) Image search: [Google]
1450959853797.jpg
63 KB, 369x491
No shipfu, not buy.
>space bikes

>what are the chances it comes out?
Maybe in 2 or 3 or maybe 4 years, you either buy the most basic package or don't buy it, you should be talking about Mass Effect Androme and Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.

>bought
kek
>>
It will come out. I think if you've tooled around with the alpha, that much is obvious.

I backed the cheap pledge and I'm feeling pretty good about it right now.

Real beta in fall 2017, IMO.
>>
File: 1355095441098.png (191 KB, 653x324) Image search: [Google]
1355095441098.png
191 KB, 653x324
>>344870542

Welp, nice thread everyone, nothing's going to top this punchline.
>>
>>344871339

>Next update will involve making the ship retailer functional
>You will be able to play with a basic starter ship and earn late game ships this early (at least until the next wipe)

Feels good, but I'm holding out for the netcode revision so I can stop getting dropped.
>>
>>344869923
I've already realized the 60$ I spent when they first announced it is gone. Maybe they'll deliver a product worthy of the money but my hype is gone.

How much would a golden ticket account with citizen id around 250 sell for?
>>
>>344871796

Not a lot I'd reckon since the ID likely wouldn't be in game (NPCs would have to share so it wouldn't make a lot of sense) and a golden ticket can just be passed around as an in-game item I think.
>>
>>344871620
Anything they do in the sandbox module (which is admittedly very cool) is still pretty much pointless until they get the new netcode up and running to address the framerate issues.

The CryEngine netcode being worthless dogshit is pretty well documented, and is one reason I've been saying from the beginning that CryEngine was a bad choice for this game.

They do have the entire original CryEngine team (pretty much) rewriting it from scratch, so we'll see if that turns out better. They've made really nice progress since they got the Frankfurt studio (aka CryTek) on board, so we'll see what happens.

This game is definitely a case study in how crowdfunding radically skews people's expectations for when a game should be released. Three years in development on what could be the most ambitious game ever planned, with playable multiplayer modules to show for it, and people act like its vaporware?

Then again, it's Chris's own damn fault for giving people the most optimistic estimates he could come up with for delivery and then deciding to keep cramming in features. Don't get me wrong, I love the features, I want to hijack a fucking space liner, but the natives are getting restless.
>>
>>344872061

Funny thing is those estimates are actually how you should program that sort of thing into pathfinding algorithms etc.

Naturally his wife, if she had much more game development experience and was put into her current position previously probably would have jumped on that, but they both clearly have a ethical dilemma about honesty and it's worked 95% of the time so far to be this positive and straightforward about it.

I always thought CryEngine was their best option considering the time of announcement (UE4 etc didn't exist), CryEngine's previous MMO work and how making your own engine from scratch can easily take 10 whole years, with a list of top AAA quality devs 7 at a guess, but Natural Selection 2 is a good example about how HUGE an investment making an engine really is. Adopting and reworking CryEngine is still the most time/cost efficient route.

Also I'm more really interested in the tech they've already developed advancing the industry a great deal, such as how they reinvented octrees for solar systems, to make arbitrary sized areas optimised for a game engine in a multiplayer environment (on paper at least, the netcode isn't up to par yet). That and similar tech ought to finally advance game design standards after years of stagnation.
>>
>>344871956
Shame
>>
>>344869923
I also bought it last year. Honestly I don't even check on it anymore. I tried the swarm mission and while it looks like it might be fun that shit just gets boring fast. They just keep making more ships that morons keep buying and I lost any hype a long time ago. The ships do look good, but give me a fucking break already.

Hope that the actual game requires human interaction, would be really nice to just find some random people and start trading together in our common trade ship. Just fucking chill at tiny ship bar and try to figure out best trading planets for different products.
>>
File: 1369592589787.png (155 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1369592589787.png
155 KB, 800x800
>>344869923
>what are the chances it comes out?
>>
>>344869923
It will never be as good as he said. It is just too much.

They would need at least 800 million, a lot more developer and a much better engine to make this game really as good as described.
>>
>>344875484

A lot more developers would just cause a huge clusterfuck.
At least the majority of the staff aren't in California, the UK office even looks a bit dull and depressing by comparison to the US offices, despite carrying the hardest out of the lot.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.