[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can someone please explain fighting games I don't GET IT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75
File: 1451481620461.png (304 KB, 666x400) Image search: [Google]
1451481620461.png
304 KB, 666x400
can someone please explain fighting games

I don't GET IT

I'M SO FUCKING BAD AND I JUST DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THEM

WHY DO THEY BLOCK ALL MY MOVES AND I GET STUNLOCKED INTO ETERNITY

I CAN BARELY EVEN DO THE INPUTS AND I'M JUST GETTING CHAINED AND THROWN AROUND

like I don't fucking GET IT, is it just autistic memorization of what moves flow into what? I've tried doing the trials that teach you how to combo and I can't fucking do them fast enough, I feel like I'm missing something important
>>
>>344858169
What game are you trying to play?
>>
Fighting games just make me fucking mad

I've come to terms with the fact I'll never be good
>>
>>344858213
street fighter v

this is my first fighting game, I own skullgirls but I only played that for like 10 minutes tops
>>
>>344858169
Honestly man look up basic combo vids for your main. practice them till you can do them flawlessly 10x in a row. then look for moves that are overheads and what you could combo after them and lows and what you can combo after them. then just try that in a match, and mix it up a bit. this isnt how you win evo but this is how you get decent
>>
>>344858438
also dont forget to block after everything you do. if you see him constantly grabbing you grab back. fighting games are a lot more about conditioning an opponent to think that your going to do one thing and then wreck them by doing the opposite.
>>
just b urself
>>
don't go online if this is your first fighting game

go fight the CPU until you're fighting level 8 CPUs without much trouble

THEN go online
>>
fighting games are more about playing against the opponent than playing against the game
>>
>>344858438
street fighter v has a training section where it guides you through basic character specific combos but I can't even do them there

I can't even do them in a practice environment on an enemy that's standing still

it's such a daunting thing, you have to
>memorize the string of commands
>actually be able to execute the thing which is pretty fucking hard
>actually be able to execute the thing in a real match vs a player doing god knows what
>actually be able to identify a situation on the fly where that combo would be good and then execute it

and you have to do that for like 8 different combos for each character and also remember all the inputs and motions

I mean christ sake I play grand strategy games and RTS and they aren't as overwhelming as this, I played starcraft for years and I can't even wrap my head around executing this shit
>>
Don't play them
You don't need to get it
You can't like every genres
I don't like RTS' either but I don't think they're bad, it just doesn't work for me

Move on Anon
>>
>>344858669
Street Fighter V has no offline versus CPU because it's a shitty unfinished game.
>>
what controller are you using
it's important to be using something that is suited for fightan games
>>
>>344858818
>has no offline versus CPU
then how am I fighting CPUs right now?
>>
>>344858807
I spent $30 on this fuckin game because a friend said it would be fun, I can't just give up
>>
>>344858169
Jesus fuck you pathetic fool.
Here you go, it's decent and already owning a SF game is good.
http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/
Fucking scrub.
>>
>>344858850
go play with your friend, if he's into fighting games he'll be able to help you out better than we can
>>
>>344858669
That is the worst fucking advice ever. Playing other people is the best way to learn as playing the ai will just give you bad habits.
>>
>>344858906
>Jesus fuck you pathetic fool.
autism
>>
>>344858752
who the fuck are you using most trials are fairly simple and you can change the settings in trials to show the inputs instead of string names.
>>
>>344858169
you prob have a normal response time
fighter autists have a super low response time
>>
>>344858936
all the characters

I can do the trials up until around 7 or 8 for each of them and they get too long and demanding, I spent like 20 minutes trying to do mika's trial 8 I can't do it
>>
>>344858921
you don't play fighting games, how would you know

for a literal first timer to any fighting game, training mode and vs. CPU is what you need to do

OP can't even fucking get a single input right, and you advise him to fight actual people from the start? that's fucking retarded
>>
>>344858169
Anon, since you're a rookie, what you need to do is memorize simple combos, wake up faster and practice throws. Other than that you need to stop pressing buttons when they are attacking you and wait for them to use a move with bad recovery time. If you can't see the slow move, use a v-reversal.
>>
>>344858850
Cut your losses and move on. I never played a game that I didn't absolutely like and somehow magically start getting it. To a minor extent sure, there were some games that I kind was offput at first but grew in on me, but to the extent that you seem to not being enjoying it, I don't think it's going to happen.

Also, and I don't know if that's the case, consider that maybe you don't like competitive games. A lot of people don't.
>>
>>344859004
Find someone you kinda like and stick with them.

Haven't played V, but Ryu is usually a good starting point.

Learn moves first, then once you can do them without trouble, move to combos.
>>
step by step guide just for OP

>pick a character you like
>do not play anyone else, ever
>go into training mode
>check their moves
>press buttons, see what they do
>search online for a BnB combo (short, simple combo you can do over and over again without much trouble)
>back into training mode
>learn said BnB
>set CPU to level 1 in training mode
>fight CPU
>gradually increase CPU level
>until you can beat max level CPU
>go into casuals online
>get beat up a bunch
>beat others up a bunch
there you go OP, you're into fighting games now
>>
>>344858240
What character?
>>
>>344858169
Basic things to know.
-Don't go full offensive. Fighting games are also observation game.
-Don't use the same trick more then twice in raw.
-Know what others characters can do.
-Try to play 2 or 3 characters at Max.
-Look for combo and basic chains for you characters.
-Spend time on the training mode to do those combos.
-Change the buttons input to your liking.
-A 6 front buttons controller can help.
-Play with your friends.
-Choose a game that is appealing to you.

Also SFV is a crap.
>>
Just watch this show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMAdNdtdqk4&list=PLplGIzXSUQ62_0eMAeKCaWfLj9J93_AyV
Some episodes can be long and devious, but they explain everything you'll ever need to know. If you're still not a pro after watching ths you should probably give up.
>>
>>344859004
that trial is a bit annoying but trials are more gimmicky then practical. Pick one character (preferably not charge theyre a little more difficult) look for a bnb combo for said character on youtube and practice that. watch that characters breakdown capcom did it with each fighter telling you which moves are save and not safe and just practice. what ever you dont mash, dont spam grabs, and dont sweep.
>>
>>344859228
the ones I've tried and liked are r.mika, laura, charlie nash, and balrog who I unlocked

I played maybe a dozen matches in casual mode online and got fucking thrashed, I'm like 2-10 and the losses weren't even close
>>
>>344858169
forget the big combos until you master things like spacing, blocking, countering, for now just forcus on your jabs and kicks,

you don't need to master combos for now just use things like low kick, med punch, high kick etc.

first thing you need to do is master blocking, watch your opponent for a telegraphed attack and block it. if you watch close enough you can see the attack coming and counter it with a kick or a punch.

once you get comfortable doing those things then try and learn some combos.

and the best advice i can give is keep playing, don't let yourself get demotivated by getting your ass kicked online thats just how you learn.
>>
>>344859314
Are you getting crush countered a lot?
>>
>>344858818
It does though
Fighting cpus won't help on anything though
Online is really the only way to go
>>
>>344859085
>maybe you don't like competitive game
this
comp games are fucking cancer
>>
>>344859439
I don't think so? I don't know actually

basically what happens is I try a move or a motion (50% of the time if I try a motion it just doesn't work due to my own incompetence), it gets blocked or I whiff it, and then I just get comboed across the screen

then, as I get knocked down and stand up, I immediately get fucked again upon trying to stand
>>
>>344859524
>comp games are fucking cancer
goes for all comp games except for fighting games
>>
>>344859524
>comp games are fucking cancer
That wasn't my point. I don't like competitive games for the most part, at least online, but acknowledging you don't like them isn't a judgement on them, it just means they aren't for you.
>>
>>344859314
op
just stop
you won't gain anything from fighting games
they are cancer with zero communinity
fucking go play a mmo or something
or csgo
or legit anything else except a fighter
they are ALL CANCER
>>
>>344859314
mika is so easy. here we go do the lk lp string into butslap. thats your whole game also crouching heavy kick full charge to command grab is your best friend same with crouching heavy punch but dont spam it its kind of unsafe. m punch is your zoning tool. if you connect do the forward medium punch lasso and back step full charge heavy kick air grab. and now you know r mika
>>
File: 1457128703515.gif (2 MB, 300x308) Image search: [Google]
1457128703515.gif
2 MB, 300x308
>>344859664
>go play a mmo
>>
>>344859646
no they are cancer
tryhards aren't people you want to admire or emulate
>>344859634
fighting games are even worse in comp
>>
File: pawnch.gif (2 MB, 256x190) Image search: [Google]
pawnch.gif
2 MB, 256x190
>>344859314
Come, come to the dark side, we welcome you.
>>
>>344859734
>fighting games are even worse in comp
elaborate how fighting games are worse cancer than LoL for example
>>
>>344859369
>big combos
>SFV
thats the funniest thing ive heard this month
>>
>>344859732
at least some mmos are social
fighting games have zero social aspects
>>
File: 1440318813278.jpg (468 KB, 1184x1046) Image search: [Google]
1440318813278.jpg
468 KB, 1184x1046
>>344859831
>social
literally who the fuck cares
>>
>>344859785
lol is just as bad
ALL comp games are just neet just cancer
>>
OP look at the moves which are safe on block. Those moves mean you wont get full combo'd even when you are holding back.
>>
Can anyone here give OP good reasons to not play Smash Brothers instead?
>>
>>344859861
people who want to actually live instead of just existing
>>
>>344859890
but you just said fighting games are even worse in comp

you're confused
>>
>>344859952
Street Fighter has hot girls.
>>
>>344859959
totally agree man, my life wouldn't be as great as it is now if I didn't have facebook
>>
>>344858169
You have to practice, but from what I can tell, you're not going to want to practice if it's not your kind of game. I don't like having to go turbo fast. I need time to think over my options and decide what the best course of action is, and I need to be allowed to input my commands at a sane.pace, which fighting games certainly don't allow. Either spend weeks or more of your time practicing, and then play the game regularly to not get rusty, or move on. Fighting games aren't for everyone.
>>
Know your character's attacks that hit high AKA overheads and those that hit low and mix them up.
>>
Fighting games are not a genre that you can play casually until a long time. You have to put in an autistic amount of effort for a couple years and THEN you can play casually and have fun.
>>
>>344859952
overwatch is funner and requires some skill
>>344859969
that guy said except for fighting games
i said they are worse or equal
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 751x418) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 751x418
>>344858906
OP clearly said he doesn't know how to play them and is asking for advice. That doesn't make him a scrub, it just makes you a fucking asshole.
>>
>>344858169
>Bought skullgirls because it has a nice tutorial or something
>Spend 5 hours on it
>Can't even finish said tutorial
I feel you. I just gave up on the genre, call me when it's casualized to hell and back because I'm too shit for it.
>>
>>344859952
actually, no real reason

it's what I would do if I couldn't pull off QCFs
>>
>>344860045
That's true for the most part, but not for SFV. You don't need an autistic amount of effort to play this game casually since it's already dumbed down a lot.
>>
>>344860084
>when it's casualized to hell and back
it already has been for the longest time
>>
>>344860084
this
not everyone is a neet autist
>>
>>344860161
>it's already dumbed down a lot
No, you don't understand. Going from "no fighting game knowledge" to "competent" takes a serious amount of effort. It's one of the steepest skill curves. Steeper than Starcraft, steeper than Dota.
>>
>>344860248
its not worth the effort for pretty much anyone
just stick to any other game you liked
>>
>>344860248
you're not wrong

but you don't need to be "competent" to enjoy fighting games

2 months tops and you're comfortable playing them
>>
>>344860332
>2 months
2 months of neet time maybe
>>
>>344860395
I did it while working full time

why can't you?
>>
>>344860084
It already is casualized, people are just too inept and unwilling to learn basic motor skills. It's called practice. Watch videos and sit in training and mash it out until it works.

Even my 5 year old nephew can churn out a Ryu jump kick to punch to uppercut. You're probably all mashing shit out like spastic or have the reaction time of sloths. WATCH a video that shows a person's hands while they are doing the combo and you'll see that the timing is easy as hell.
>>
>>344860456
>autist working full time
i am sorry but some of us have social lives
>>
>>344860176
I know that people hate on smash bros but I will never undestand why. I never played it but it never seemed casual to me if you play against someone that knows what he's doing.
>>
>>344860557
because you will get shat on by anyone who has played a game for years
>>
>>344859959
like social eating on twitch, its so social!
>>
File: wolf.jpg (98 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
wolf.jpg
98 KB, 550x550
I also fell for the fighting games meme, OP.

>tfw can't even get a Steam refund
>>
>>344858906
don't be mean to OP, he asks for advise
>>
OP, since you're probably not even bronze yet, here's what you do:

>stop pressing buttons when you're blocking
>practice the simple target combos and only use that. After you reach bronze, practice some other bread and butter combos
>hold down back on your wake up. You might get thrown or get hit by an overhead, but on rookie league you'll still defend most things
>understand there's a priority system for moves
>work on your motions since you've said you're getting them wrong. Repeat them on training mode, over and over. Don't forget to do them from the left side and from the right side.
>>
>>344860643
twitch is more social than fighting games
yep
>>
>>344860726
op can most likely never be good
for the simple fact he has a average reaction time
>>
>>344860732
i think we need more social. we need social shitting, social dying (suicide streams), and social murdering
>>
>>344860470
>It's called practice
5 hours spent trying to push 8 buttons in quick sucession and it never worked. I cannot imagine the amount of time that it would take me to be decent in the game and have fun playing it.
That's not practice. Until they find a way to reduce the time needed to actually play the game I just can't touch it.
>>
File: 1459110983035.jpg (53 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1459110983035.jpg
53 KB, 450x450
>>344860514
stop kidding me
remember where you are

>>344860557
I'm not hating smash bros, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing smash bros even on a competetive/serious level

but I think it just barely qualifies as a fighting game and realize that it's easier to get into because of that

traditional fighting games have some complex and hard to understand mechanics
blocking is easy, but once you have to block high, low, crossups and tech throws anyone's brain shuts down, at least if they haven't played any fighting games

same with combos, building up muscle memory for combos and confirms, resets, mixups and then using them in the right place at the right time is mind-bogglingly hard

especially neutral game, if you don't have the experience online you'll most certainly get outplayed 100 to 0

so I don't think smash is a bad game, of course there's tech in smash that's similarly advanced and hard to wrap your head around

it's just not what the game fully consists of, which traditional fighting games do
>>
>>344859831
>fighting games have zero social aspect
what is a tournament?
>>
>>344860871
If you're unable to learn how to press 8 buttons correctly in 5 hours then you should see a doctor

Children can do this anon
>>
>>344860792
He can still be silver and play the game casually even with shitty reaction time.
>>
>>344860871
spending 5 hours back to back trying to get it down doesn't do shit

you can't build a house all at once, you have to lay brick for brick day after day to succeed
>>
>>344861131
This. I'm gold and I'm too slow to antiair unless the opponent makes it obvious. Don't give up just because you can't get a shoryuken out.
>>
I should have bought rocket league instead
>>
play melty blood, it has the most natural feeling combos in any fighter, almost everyone has simple confirms into a basic air combo.
Hell it's literally the only game where I've gotten even my more casual friends who usually hate this type of "autism" to learn combos and play decently
>>
>>344861226
>gold
why even bother?
>>
>>344858169
Its literally just practice, if you are allergic to practice and expect instant gratification, well too bad.

The only advice you can literally get here is "git gud"
>>
>>344861589
I'm poor at fighting games, gold/super gold is the best I can aim for.
I've kinda stopped anyway. Don't feel like I'm improving anymore, and improving's the best part of fighting games.
>>
>>344861781
no
why bother if you aren't the best?
you will NEVER be the best
literally no point
go play something you are actually good at
>>
>>344861965
By that logic you should never play any videogame ever, because there will always be someone better than you. You can have fun even without being the best, you know.
>>
>>344859831
yeah, i'm sure you talking to neckbeards online on a MMO is more social than traveling to tournaments with people
>>
>>344861781
Guess why the best are the best?
They probably play that shit for 10 hours a day.
But they also have the best training opportunities with locals near them and people they can always play with locally.

So yeah you cant probably ever become the best if your schedule doesnt allow you to play that much and you dont have a local scene.
But playing the games can still be fun if you arent shooting to be the very best.
>>
>>344861965
Literally a cuckold attitude
>>
>>344861781
>gold/super gold is the best I can aim for
that's like the top 10-20% mate
>>
File: 1436265672391.png (167 KB, 350x401) Image search: [Google]
1436265672391.png
167 KB, 350x401
>>344859664
fighting games are legit one of the good competitive genres left alive you underage.
kill yourself for even mentioning trash like CS:GO
>>
>>344862053
like play any vidya ya want
just not fighters
>>
>>344862129
>So yeah you cant probably ever become the best if your schedule doesnt allow you to play that much and you dont have a local scene.
Both are true, which is also why I feel like I'm not improving anymore. The lack of a local scene is particularly annoying, because online rollback kills me a lot of times.

>>344862195
Sure, but the remaining 10-20% is on another level compared to me. I suppose I can't say I'm *bad*, but I'm far from tournament level.
>>
>>344859952
depends on what smash.
if he can't pull of simple FGC motions no way he can play Melee well
>>
>>344859628
You need to learn how to block.
You need to pick Ryu, the most basic character of the game (yet one of the strongest) and learn the fundamentals.

You can find plenty of beginners tutorials like that on Youtube. Watch a couple of those and try to apply the tips they give.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skP6BpRkLyE

Fighting games are fun even at low skill level, only you have to fight people of the same skill level as you.
>>
>>344862328
>far from tournament level.
so what?
just play online
>>
>>344862692
don't play online
just give up on fighters

i beg every anon in this thread to drop the cancer that is fighters
>>
>>344862783
stop projecting your incompetence on others
>>
>>344862819
stop projecting your autism on others
>>
>>344859314
Pick a main and stick with them, you're playing too many characters.
>>
>>344862923
pick another game and have fun with it
>>
>>344862923
how do I pick a main when I'm fucking terrible with everybody

>pick who you enjoy most
I DON'T ENJOY ANYONE I'M FUCKING LOSING I CAN'T EVEN BEAT RYU CPU BOT LEVEL 6
>>
>>344862990
be patient you little assfuck

no one starts off great. You pick a character you like and learn everything about them
>>
>>344862990
anon listen to me
go find a game you enjoy
don't force yourself to get gud at fighters
a few hundred hours from now you will realize you fucking hate the genre
>>
>>344863143
people do start great
stop being a normie and believing in just world
>>
>>344858169
It's all about practice really. It's like how if you go into any online multiplayer game and you can get curbstomped by someone who has spent hours and hours and hours playing longer than you.

Focus on the basics first. Which button does what. Now what happens if you're crouching or jumping. Then try to do command moves. You know, stuff like quarter circle forward punch. Once you get used to that motion, you can try more complex commands too. For example, a zigzag motion for a command is similar to pressing forward and then the quarter circle thing again.
>>
>>344858169
Don't play fighting games in order to get good OP. Find a game you like and get good at that over time.

The only reason I play MKX somewhat decently is because I have loved mashing on that series since MK2 and the 3D games were my favourite. I learnt that I liked Quan Chi and turns out I found out a few couples for him on MKX.

I've never liked Bungie, Destiny reminded me of Star Wars so I bought it, ended up playing it very poorly over time and now I'm fairly good at it in PvP.
>>
>>344862990
read this dammit
>>344862548
>>
>>344863271
>he thinks this is true
if you can't be at least somewhat decent when you pick a game up
give up
>>
>>344862990
>can only enjoy himself when he's winning
are you 5 years old?
>>
Prepare to get your ass beat alot. Fighting games are easily the most competitive genre imo at base level. Not to say they aren't possibly the most competitive/one of the tippy top at the highest level because chances are they are. But at even lower levels you find people who can do some shit and will stomp you when you're new.

Just watch what they do , watch tutorials and practice practice practice.
>>
File: 10 int.png (165 KB, 303x311) Image search: [Google]
10 int.png
165 KB, 303x311
>>344858169
>WHY DO THEY BLOCK ALL MY MOVES AND I GET STUNLOCKED INTO ETERNITY
Learn your buttons. Some are safe to do even if they're blocked and others will make you eat shit if they get blocked.
>I CAN BARELY EVEN DO THE INPUTS AND I'M JUST GETTING CHAINED
Learn how to block and be patient.
>AND THROWN AROUND
Learn how to throw, jump, or backdash.

You don't need combos and specials and all that right away, you just started. Start with the basics and things everyone uses before you try getting fancy. Getting your ass beat a ton is part of the learning process, so accept it and stop focusing on winning right away.
>>
>>344863353
>enjoy when you get your ass handed to you
you are a cuck
>>
>>344859628
It sounds like (and I could be wrong) you might not understand some basic principles in fighting games. Which is normal for a newcomer, as fighting games are notoriously shit at teaching how they work through just playing them.

For example:
>then, as I get knocked down and stand up, I immediately get fucked again upon trying to stand
Quick question; when you get knocked down and recover, do you try to hit buttons only to have them smack you first nearly every time? If so, do you understand why that is? When you're knocked down, your opponent can still move, you can't. You have to get up first, then you can start a move. Since he can already do what he wants, he's going to throw something out that'll hit you in the face the moment you are up. Blocking is the safe option in this case. It's not always the case, but if you "get fucked" every time you get knocked down, that's usually a good indicator.
>>
File: 1468310542280.png (448 KB, 564x594) Image search: [Google]
1468310542280.png
448 KB, 564x594
>>344863353
because I am a person with a normal psychological profile and not a fucking retarded masochist, I do not enjoy losing over and over
>>
>>344863430
then stop losing and start learning
>>
>>344863396
csgo is 10x more competitive and has more depth
fighting games are just autism tests
>>
>>344863225
enjoy not knowing what it feels to git gud
>>
>>344863326
T.casual

People like you are the reason fighters are the only genre i like nowadays competitively since arena shooters are near dead.

You demand games allow you to be decent when you pick them up and this in tales developers making said games easier and shallow so there is less to master. Therefore making them less competitively viable.
>>
this thread is inspiring me to give up

unfortunately I don't qualify for a refund on steam anymore but that's life

maybe another day, another time
>>
>>344863457
T.masochist
you need to see a therapist
>>
>>344863554
at least I'm not ass at fighting games :^)
>>
>>344863467
>CSGO
>Competitive
>Worst CS
>More depth
>RNG spread

AHAHAHAHAH keep thinking that. I don't understand why you're even here shitting up this thread probably OP same fagging. You got your ass beat probably by someone who could finish all their combos and because you mash and refuse to block you think HURR ITS ALL COMBOS HURR cus you haven't the ability to return to the neutral game.
>>
>>344858169
You punch things until they die
>>
Holy shit there's someone who can't use capital letters and got really buttblasted online in this thread. So much he wants other people to give up as well.
>>
>>344863630
this

OP is bad
>>
>>344863492
>pick up
i have over 700 hours in csgo
and hundreds of hours in other shooters
i still can't aim

stop trying to force others to be like you
comp is cancer
>>
>>344863670
>OP is bad
Wow, you think? It's almost like he expressed that and it's the entire purpose of the thread.
>>
>>344863630
>Capital Letters
>OnLiNe
why bother?
>>
Man i love fighting game threads. Its either some good porn or /v/ being a shit casual board of cry babies. Can't handle individual skill games that is why you faggots spout the arena shooters are dead meme. I mean they are but you casuals act like they should be.

Makes sense Overwatch is easily the most casual "competitive" game in years and you're eating it up. Must be because you refuse to stand on your own two feet and want teammates to blame when its usually clearly you there too. Team based games were a mistake because they take little to no individual skill half the time and they're played by the meta not influenced by it.
>>
>>344863630
yeah I noticed him

let him be ass, at the end of the day nobody cares about yet another shitposter
>>
>>344863750
overwatch requires more skill than most arena shooters
moving fast doesn't equal skill
>>
File: fucking casuals.png (112 KB, 696x337) Image search: [Google]
fucking casuals.png
112 KB, 696x337
>>344858169
Here is my advice as someone who never got good in anything despite played for years:

Fighting games are about rigorous training. You need to learn combinations of moves of your character until you can do them in your sleep. Then you need to learn what combinations other opponents have against your character(s) and how to avoid/counter them. And last but not least you need to learn how to move around the field and force the opponent to make mistakes while avoiding doing the same. As soon as your opponent makes a mistake you apply the best and longest combo you can do in that situation to their health bar.

What really makes fighting games frustrating is players are rarely on the same level in them at it shows. The better players can land their most damaging combos reliably most of the time meaning you are usually dead in 2-3 mistakes. I was fucking shit in SFIV and when I got to play with an even weaker player than me it was shocking how easy I could toy with him (just like how stronger players absolutely devastated me).

I think the best way to learn fighting games for non autists is when they have a couple of friends who are the on same level as them.
>>
>>344863750
arena shooters are good though. you put the cursor on the enemy and they die. it's the purest form of skill. you don't have to a qcf+jhk+smk+chp+chp+720 to shoot your gun. and sometimes the gun doesn't fire if the enemy is doing his hcb+clk+pretzel motion while 3 bars of meter+ are active
>>
>>344863602
>good at fighting games
YOU NEED TO SEE A THERAPIST
>>
>>344863902
>What really makes fighting games frustrating is players are rarely on the same level in them at it shows.
I love getting my ass handed to me by a better player, I literally observe myself getting better every time I do a FT10 with a better player
>>
>>344863614
nope
i played injustice for about 6? hours besides the campaign(the main reason i got it)
>>
>>344861191

Is that why they're taking so fucking long to build my house?
>>
>>344861191
you can build a house within hours
fuck you can 3d print houses now
>>
>>344864110
I wish I could do the same. I don't think I ever learnt anything from being juggled from start to end.
>>
The best thing about fighting games is the salty fags.
>>
>>344864110
>I love getting my ass handed to me by a better player
You have problems.
>>
File: 1459606434846.jpg (76 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1459606434846.jpg
76 KB, 620x670
>>344864223
>>344864271
>>
>>344864364
problems you wish you had streammonster
>>
>>344864110
They said the same when i played csgo
Dying doesn't teach you jack shit
>>
>>344864326
this and crybabbies
>>
>>344861191
what houses even use bricks anymore?
>>
>>344858169
1)choose your main char and play him mostly(you should know other chars too)
2)find opponents of your level and play with them. sf5 have pretty big playerbase and lot of newbies and i am sure that current bronze players wont destroy you THAT hard. So you can just play ranking or find some mates in lobby rooms.
3)watch guides
>>
>>344864306
It's about being observant. Check the tapes and see why you were getting your ass kicked. Poor antiairs? Too many mixups? It's easy to lose your head when your opponent starts pressuring you into the corner. V-reversal and clear your thoughts, if that's the problem.
>>
>>344864516
>antiairs
>mixups
>V-reversal
you realize only people with autism understand what you are saying right?
>>
>>344864589
it's the opposite, actually.
>>
Here's something you need to understand, OP.

Fighting games are a meme genre popularized by consolefags and ghetto hoodrats who played in shitty arcades for hours, literally standing in puddles of piss and surrounded by cigarette smoke while they played. It's a genre about beating each other up, and then you beat each other up in real life after the match. The whole genre is entirely reliant on an ass-backwards control scheme that continues to exist into today because "it's always been dat way muhfugga".

Don't bother. There are so many other competitive games worth investing time into. Games that reward tactics and strategy over reaction time and repetition.

Literally the only good to come from fighting games is porn.
>>
>>344864589
>doesn't know the lingo
>expect to get good magically
A U T I S M
>>
>>344864659
>>344864857
>speaks another language
>not autism
???????????????????????
>>
>>344864749
>Fighting games are a meme genre popularized by consolefags and ghetto hoodrats who played in shitty arcades for hours
and you can't even beat them you cuck hahaha
>>
>>344864659
Yeah, it's the opposite.

>go up to a random person on the street
>"Can you please define anti-air or V-reversal?"
>"What? Uhhh..."
>HAH AUTISM GOT EM
>>
>>344864749
this
just go play csgo or something
>>
>>344858169
Practice mode with cpu set to block then jump or set to block on hit. Practice for hours. Then practice for days. Then practice for weeks. Now you are ready.
>>
>>344858169
Ooooh, I see your problem. Don't worry dude, you cannot be "stun locked", this isn't League of Legends, DotA, SMITE, a gay bathhouse, or any other MOBA I'm forgetting about.

If they keep punching or kicking you, stop fucking mashing the buttons like a mongoloid. Hold back. Just hold backwards. Maybe even down back if you want to be a wild man. When the combo is done, if they try to attack again, you will block the next combo. If you try and hit a button while blocking, you're going to get smacked. The first thing you clearly need to learn is how to block if you think stun locks exist in fighting games.

I also think you're doing the combos too fast. Try slowing down the inputs just a little bit and focus on the inputs.
>>
>>344864975
>practice for a year
>>
>>344864975
>Practice for hours. Then practice for days. Then practice for weeks.
but there are other videogames I'd also like to play, and also go outside and engage in social activities, also work a job and eat and sleep and participate in many of the other wonderful things there are to experience in this world

if the only way to get better is to get my shit slapped for weeks on end and practice the exact same combos over and over, that's not really something that sounds appealing to me
>>
I can't get a handle on charge moves.

Like I want to be able to spam Sonic Boom but I can't seem to get it down.
>>
Play a shoto Ryu or ken doesn't matter. Ryus more balanced imo.
Don't use specials as If they are the only thing thats gets you wins.

Look up these keywords attached too your character choice.

Bnb combos.
Spacing
Linking
Match ups

Also

Reading your opponent
How to do cross ups
Strategy

Fighting games are strategical, and most of all take practice. They are literally the only type of game that NO ONE is naturally good at.
If you can't handle losing this is not a genre of game that you should play.

It takes practice.
I've been playing for years and I'm only just now starting to be considered great at fighters.
>>
>>344865229
only thing you need to know is that when the game says "holding/charging back" that just means you literally have to hold back for a set amount of frames regardless of what's happening in the game right now

so for sonic boom, right after you go charge back --> forward + punch, you hold back right away and input sonic boom again as soon as the game allows you to
>>
>>344864950
you pretty much nailed it

why would you even talk to normies?
>>
>>344865431
ironically fighting games have the most normie playerbase of any competitive game by far
>>
>>344858669
That's the most ass backward thing I've ever read. All that does is condition you into bad habbits. Online is the only way to go when learning.

The only thing that the cpu is useful for is landing combo strings under pressure.
>>
File: 1461163106513.jpg (47 KB, 540x729) Image search: [Google]
1461163106513.jpg
47 KB, 540x729
>>344865173
Fighting games are not for you.
>>
>>344865835
why would someone want to play a game that excludes you from doing other shit if you want to be any good at it

I could see if you were a kid with all the free time in the world and you only had mortal kombat so you played it a lot, or if your local arcade had street fighter so you played it all the time. i'm not a kid i don't have that free time any more and i don't have the dedication to do the same little things over and over and over in hopes at getting good. not at something as inconsequential as a video game.
>>
>>344865240
>Don't use specials as If they are the only thing thats gets you wins.
not op but why not
they are strong
>>
>>344866069
None of them are safe.
>>
>>344865646
he doesn't have any habits at all as it stands

he also has no idea how the game works AT ALL

he can iron out bad habits during online play easily, he's gonna grab some bad habits either way

>The only thing that the cpu is useful for is landing combo strings under pressure.
and that's exactly what he needs to do in order to fight people online that are on his level
>>
>>344865964
I think that you're playing it up in your head.

Get online get your ass kick for an hour and then do something else. You just have to take it seriously and learn from your mistakes. Instead of blaming other people, or the game for your lack of awareness.

Trust me, two weeks of this and you'll be beating bronze and super bronze competently.
>>
File: 1468145675445.jpg (47 KB, 960x733) Image search: [Google]
1468145675445.jpg
47 KB, 960x733
>>344865964
>>
>>344865964
Hence why you should go play something else instead of being a crybaby. Go play single player games or party games I'm not even talking about Smash..
>>
>>344858169
Op you're getting your ass beat by people who understand the fundamentals of the game. It has nothing to do with combos since at the skill level you are now, the person who does the most risky shit is most likely going to lose, and that's most likely you since you don't know nothing.
>>
OP here, I really do not understand the basics of how this works, like I get the mechanics stop explaining the mechanics to me, stop telling me to look up "bnb" and "antiair"

let me paint a scenario of what's happening here and tell me how you deal with it

i'm playing against ryu bot, the match starts and he starts machine gun spamming hadokens

i don't even know how to begin here. if i try jumping in i get shoryuken'd. i don't know how to even fucking approach. blocking the hadokens does chip damage to me and i cant just fucking block all game
>>
>>344866123
Well, you're half right, but him learning against a cpu helps a bit, but doesn't prepare him for the timing and spacing conundrums that happen online. It's basically like relearning the game all over again.

Also, him landing combo strings at this point is futile.
He just needs a few good one twos and knowledge in the basics of the game.
>>
>>344866294
Which character are you using?
>>
>>344865964
>literally whining about a high skill ceiling

Practicing for hours is for people who want to be good and want to go to local tournaments. If you want to not lose every match you play online, all you really need is one or two bread and butter combos you can pull off reliably in a fight and to understand what characters are going to do what, and what's safe and what's not safe. You don't need some incredible combo up your ass to be good.
>>
>>344866294
A few things you can do:
1) Counter his hadokens with your hadokens;
2) Jump over them until you're close, then use your parry to move forward;
3) Use an EX hadoken to beat his hadokens and get the health lead, then wait it out from there;
4) Use the tatsu to go through (not sure which one goes through, don't play Ryu).
Just a few options from a non Ryu player.
>>
>>344866381
does it matter? let's say I'm also ryu. how do I gain the offensive here

if I jump in and manage to not get hit by shoryuken, he blocks everything I have. and if I fuck up one time it's me getting comboed across the screen.
>>
>>344859664
>with zero communinity
>fucking go play a mmo or something

Jesus christ, how do you claim a genre that subsists on travelling and playing locally to have no community, then tell someone to play a fucking mmo
>>
>>344866294
I want you to think about it this way.

He puts out one fireball at a time. No more than that.
What can you do? Jump, that's what you do. Now depending on who you're playing with. You can cover a lot of ground with that jump. Or, alternatively, you jump straight up, land and dash forward. Either way you gain ground. Once you're close enough let him throw that fb, and then jump in with a hk or hp and start combo.
>>
>>344866453
>does it matter? let's say I'm also ryu. how do I gain the offensive here
You can use a hadouken as well, you can get closer on the ground and block until you're close enough to punish a hadouken with a jump in, you can parry it to build your v-trigger bar.

>if I jump in and manage to not get hit by shoryuken, he blocks everything I have
Mistimed jump.
>>
>>344866453
>how do I gain the offensive here

Move forward between launching hadoukens, eventually you'll be close enough to have options.
>>
>>344866069
Teaches you bad habits and all specials are unsafe. If you're a Ryu and all you know how to do is throw hadoukens and shoryuken when guys try to jump over them, you'll get beat up by anyone who knows how to play.
>>
>>344866453
>does it matter?

Yes, because different characters have different ways to get around projectiles. How Balrog deals with projectiles is completely different than how Ryu deals with them.
>>
File: Bison Charge in Time.webm (3 MB, 740x540) Image search: [Google]
Bison Charge in Time.webm
3 MB, 740x540
>>344865229
The only things you need to get into your mind for charge moves are
>Return to holding back immediately after you press the button
Almost all charge moves in SFV take 2/3 of a second, 40 frames to charge (a few like Chun-Li's fireball takes 5/6 of a second). In nearly all cases, the special animation length is slightly shorter than the time you'd need to charge.

In Guile's case, Sonic Boom only has a 38 frame long animation, shorter than the minimum charge time (can't check if he has a 40 or 50 frame charge on Sonic Boom at the moment). You'd have to be doing something else between sonic booms or delay your charge for just a moment longer and walk backwards, which is why...

>you perform normal moves while charging
Most charge characters have very aggressive, powerful normal attacks that are designed with the charge moves in mind, and you should focus on throwing those out. Guile has several long-reaching moves that push him forward.

For example, I know that Bison's standing punch and crouching punch have a combined total of 43 frames. If I hold back on the very frame I press the first medium punch, I will be able to perform the Double Knee Press.
>>
>>344866453
If he's blocking throw him, or since he's most likely crouch blocking, an over head. When you knock them down, block or do a neutral jump. Most people don't know how to deal with a neutral jump on wake up, and I'd wager at least half the people you're likely to fight online are going to do something unsafe on wake up, like a shoryuken or an ultra.
>>
File: jack-7-tekken-7.jpg (435 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jack-7-tekken-7.jpg
435 KB, 1280x720
>>344858169

I've been trying to get good at Tekken for 5 solid years. Most of the time I saw no progress and kept getting owned by cheap bastards doing low launchers, which a good player is supposed to react to on time and block.

The last couple of months of playing T7 and FR in the Japanese arcades I am somehow just reacting perfectly to situations and ranking up faster than ever before. I just kept showing up for a love of the game for 5 fkn years with no sign of actual improvement and now I'd say I'm a tournament level player.

You just keep showing up. And when you lose, you think about why and actually try to change. Bad habits is HUGE in fighting games and hard to notice sometimes because of bias.

You will get there as long as you keep losing bravely and have a looot of patience.
>>
>>344866584
>subsists on travelling and playing locally
only at a decent level
>>
>>344867390
highest rank you got right now? alternatively, highest rank you reached? (both for 7 and FR)
>>
>>344867126
>2/3 of a second
you know the average human reaction time is like 250ms right?
>>
>>344858169
learn some basic combos, proceed to beat up cp for a bit so you can atleast get a combo out while you try out mechanics so you get the feel of the game. After the point you atleast know how to play your own character and somewhat knowledgeable if a special is safe or not. Then honestly it's mostly about playing against other people so you get to start learning how to play against real players in general. You can't rely on playing against a cpu for too long since you pick up too many bad habits. Then at that point you just have to learn with experience what character got what setups and how to avoid them by loosing to it :( If it's SFV you're talking about, find the crossup button for your character and then proceed to abuse it for a couple of jabs into another crossup or just a grab after a crossup, it'll net you a guaranteed silver.
>>
>>344858169
Getting good at a fighting game is like learning how to improvise a guitar solo.
>>
>>344867782
What does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>344864403
You either win or you learn.
Thats not a catchy phrase to sound encouraging or motivating, thats the plain truth.

In any loose you can find anything, to the smallest thing about your psychology shift tendency and how it shows in your gameplay in a certain situation, to the bigger thing like a whole combo you never saw before.

If you find nothing in looses, then you wont ever get good.
>>
>>344867390
>5 years
holy fuck
get a JOB
>>
>>344866453
Simply block and move forward, or jump over if you're at a far distance. Jumping over when closer generally has to be predictive more than reactive, but there is nothing wrong with blocking a fireball and you don't have to worry too much about the chip damage unless you're at very low health.

Opening him up is a different issue, and is something that can be hard to discover when fighting the CPU, since they're robots. To make it basic, it devolves into forcing them to block attacks that still leave you safe, making them feel like they have to sit and block, then throwing them so they start feeling like they have to press buttons, after which you start punishing them for pressing those buttons. I assume you know how different attacks have different properties and need to be blocked differently, so what you should think about is this. What is it that causes you to get hit by the opponent's attacks? Why didn't you block something, why weren't you able to antiair his jumpin or why were you not able to see and stop him from throwing? Forming an offensive game is a bit hard, but it comes from knowing your moves, playing a lot of real people and noticing how each particular person acts.
>>
File: 054.png (114 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
054.png
114 KB, 300x300
>tfw can't learn combos no matter how hard I try
>>
File: Anon's Inspirational Quote.png (597 KB, 600x730) Image search: [Google]
Anon's Inspirational Quote.png
597 KB, 600x730
>>344863143
>be patient you little assfuck
>no one starts off great. You pick a character you like and learn everything about them

Words of wisdom my friend. Words of wisdom.
>>
>>344868143
that frames are a stupid thing
>>
>>344858169
Fighting games suck because newbies can't possibly just "Jump in" a fighting game.
Most people that play fighting games have played them for a VERY long time, Stick to games that you dont need to dedicate 5+ years to get good at.
>>
>>344869127
What kind of combos, anon? Just in training mode?
>>
>>344858169
Anon, play Ryu. Learn everything about Ryu. All his moves, everything. Then the next thing you need to do is

STOP

PRESSING

BUTTONS

Just stop pressing buttons sometimes. Try to stay calm. If you're holding back to block and getting hit still, it's likely because you're freaking out and trying to get a hit in
>>
>>344869161
>spend 2 years getting "ok"
>spend another 3 years getting "good"
no thanks
>>
>>344869302
what

reaction time has nothing to do with that, you just hold back when you start doing the moves and then at the end you can cancel into your charge move without any preparation
>>
>>344858169
Seriously, you don't need to be good at it at all.
>>
>>344869450
I mean, yeah if you're trying to win tournaments it takes many years. If you're just trying to beat a level 6 cpu like OP it sure as fuck doesn't take longer than a few weeks at most unless you have learning disabilities.
>>
File: what a load.png (94 KB, 288x268) Image search: [Google]
what a load.png
94 KB, 288x268
>>344869127
>tfw you drill the combo endlessly in practice mode, but get too excited in a real match to pull it off
>tfw you spend the entire match trying to execute the combo instead of playing normally and get wrecked because of it
>>
>>344869302
Too bad, because every video game does shit in frames.

2/3 of a second is 666ms so you have twice as many reaction times to do whatever you think reaction time has to do with charging a move.
>>
>>344869664
tfw learning disability
it only seems to impact me in games too
shit sucks
>>
>>344869962
>250ms reaction time, some people are 300~
>add 200 ms from net
>add 100ms from hardware
fuck off with your autism
>>
>>344870138
hahaha what the fuck you crazy man
>>
>>344858169
I'm not very good at fighting games but in my experience, trash talk is half the fun. None of my friends are very good either but as soon as someone manages an amazing combo or defaults to pussy tactics (such as spamming eye beams from the edge of the screen in Tekken) then the trash talk starts flowing and it becomes an amazing experience.
>>
>>344870383
>he doesn't know
HAHA
>>
>>344870138
>200ms internet
Yeah no shit you get fucked up if your internet is garbage.

For people without complete shit everything it would be:
>250ms reaction time
>50ms internet
>30ms hardware

You have more than twice as much time to react to 2/3rd of a second.
>>
How the fuck do I DP on wakeup? Or any super on wakeup? I always get bodied by people shitting out a super as soon as they wakeup.

I can input the moves just fine, but on wakeup im too slow and always get my shit slapped. Is there a trick?
>>
>>344860025
Underrated post
>>
>tfw too stupid to play fighting games
>>
>>344871336
It's just a matter of learning the timing. Try to do it just a little before you're getting up. The game's pretty lenient on the timing, there's a buffer so as long as you do it before you're up it'll come out. Set it up in training mode so the dummy sweeps you over and over, you'll know you've done it right because it'll say Reversal on your side of the screen.

After that, the next step is "Stop fuckin DPing on wakeup oh god he blocked it I'm dying", but don't worry you'll learn about that in time.
>>
>>344858748
>fighting games are more about playing against the opponent than playing against the game
tourney scene that made back then it was all button mashing
>>
>>344871171
you forget the fact that anyone who doesn't live in murica/eu can't play fighting games
>>
>>344871728
>STOP HAVING A LIFE
just stop
its so sad
aren't your family sad?
>>
>>344871790
Don't mexicans love KOF?
>>
>>344871884
gays love KOF
also ash is top tier fucboi
>>
>>344865516
it seems there are dedicated than non normies
>>
>>344871728
>stop DPing on wakeup
Yeah, I play with a higher level friend a lot, and he always DP'ed me on wakeup until I learned to bait it out.

The problem is I can't do it period so its not even an option for me.
I'll try buffering it though, thank you.
>>
You know people just arent born with talent to do something really good, they just practice a lot.
Is the same with fighting games, pick a character like ryu and play the fuck out of him until, play online and never try to do the same tactic twice if it doesnt work.
>>
>tfw shameless button masher
should i kill myself?
>>
>>344872337
Strongly consider it.
>>
>>344872296
>born with talent to do something really good
this is wrong

try and not be a piece of shit and you would understand this
>>
>>344858818
you can change the dummies in training to CPU's and change their level from 1 - 8
>>
8 frames of input delay
>>
File: 1467680557668.jpg (199 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1467680557668.jpg
199 KB, 1200x1200
>>344858169
You have to force yourself to stop seeing them as people performing martial arts. That is not at all what is happening. In reality, your character is a box generator. You press buttons to generate box patterns. Each pattern has it's offensive capabilities, and it's vulnerabilities. So you have to make sure to generate the boxes in just the right way so that your offense boxes intersects your opponent's vulnerable boxes.

Try not to think about what "moves" you're doing. The action on screen doesn't feel right, because it's NOT right. it's not intuitive at all. There's no attempt at creating realistic human motion. It's all boxes blipping in and out of existence.
>>
>>344873693
You don't even understand the implications of that, stop spouting memes.

The thing about discussing fighting games on /v/ is that they're absolutely and utterly trash at them and as usual in their elitist way the /v/irgins still think they have any say in the matter of what constitutes a good fighting game.

There's a huge disparity between /v/'s average skill in fighting games and the skill needed to discuss them.
>>
Anyone shit want to play some SFV later today?
>>
>>344864126
>injustice
well that's for your problem
>>
>>344869880
>>344869127
I know this feel too well
>>
>tfw i'll never get good fighting games
>>
I cannot do the trials

any of them

I cannot fucking input the things fast enough

I'm doing exactly what it's telling me to do but I can't do it quick enough, there's always a delay between the moves and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong
>>
>>344875551
SFV has baby-tier execution but a fighting game is only a fighting game if there's some sort of execution present.

Only through execution can you play the game with a limited amount of buttons while still freely choosing to change the combo to accommodate your needs (corner carry, damage, meter build etc.).

The complexity of input is tied to how broken the button/motion would be if it could be done quicker, one button super would be too strong with the properties present.

About your Problem
Do it too quick - button doesn't come out
Do it too slow - dummy blocks/doesn't combo

tl;dr Git gud
>>
>>344875861
what are you even talking about
>>
>>344874373
The only thing fighting threads are good for is humor and the occasional interest or enthusiasm from a newbie.

A tip I have is to play a round without hitting any buttons and see how it goes. That alone says a lot about what the others game plan might be. Still move and block but don't hit back and watch how they move or continue. Did they neutral jump in anticipation? Backdash? Cancel into super? Did they keep grabbing? Of course this plan only works for one round before they catch on, but that one round gives lots of information.
>>
>try to get into air dashers like GG Xrd, Melty, and Uniel
>BnB consists of billions of button press that deals 1/4 your life for 0 zero (null) none meter at all
I love their soundtracks but I can't into rush down combo fest at all.
>>
>>344875980
I know what you're getting at here but I don't recommend doing that unless you really want to lose.

If you're not doing anything, any player with good fundamentals would pressuring hard and then only grab at some point.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.