[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't they just make a fucking MMO that isn't a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: ekKj4AV.jpg (84 KB, 1224x1229) Image search: [Google]
ekKj4AV.jpg
84 KB, 1224x1229
Why can't they just make a fucking MMO that isn't a complete grind?

An open world sandbox where you just gather to build your bases and build armor/weapons. Rest of the game is complete skill.

Why do they feel the need to add ability / attribute levels?
>>
>>344803734
The grind is what keeps the mmo player playing for so many hours.

It's the foundation of modern mmos and their high addiction rate.
>>
>>344803734
to maximize profits, By adding these things it allows anyone to play, thus more people play it, keep it funded. Without it, mmo's would have to be much, much, much smaller or lower quality.
>>
Sandbox is dead because of the success of WoW. And now after dozens of failed WoW clones even themepark MMOs are dying outside of the usual soulless Korean shit.
>>
>>344803734
Minecraft
>>
Because people would just give noobs everything and then there wouldn't be no need for nothing to do after a week.

and little microtransactions in some MMO's help keep the server's running (which aren't cheap I assume)

If you like a game, you will play because the "grind" doesn't hurt when you like what you're doing.
>>
>>344803734
If I buy a game I'm buying a series of challenges to overcome. I'm not buying a fucking set of legos at which point you tell me to fuck off and build my own fun. Fuck that.
>>
>>344803734
Rust
>>
>Rust
>Minecraft
>DayZ
>H1Z1

>But anon those games are all shit!
Precisely.
>>
>>344804986
Don't these games have huge game worlds and only server populations of like 80 people max?
>>
>>344805283
You think increasing the player count would improve those games?
>>
>>344803734
because most people will eventually stop getting better at the games and get rekt by others that have played less than them, then they will stop playing.

people have to continuously get "better" at the game to feel accomplished

also, I'm genuinely not sure weather that's Alex Jones or Danny DeVito in your picture
>>
>>344805532
Yes, tons of people want something like an open world Mount & Blade MMO where you can have several hundred man sieges etc.
>>
>>344804986

because people seem to think sandbox means "you can do anything without repercussion" rather than "you can do anything" so we end up with the worlds slowest deathmatch games
>>
>>344806359
Warband Persistent worlds mod is made for you then.

Go have fun anon
>>
>>344806638
It's pretty shit because you have the worst of both worlds, constant admin meddling and constant rule breaking. Also the world is extremely small, and only 100 players.

It's also full of cancerous clanfags
>>
>>344803734
Can we discuss for a moment how absolutely fucking insane Alex Jones is, and why nobody should ever have to see him without a shirt on?
>>
>>344803734
>>344803734
>>344803734
You can always check out mortal online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpX3BWnA8M
>>
>>344806539
>"you can do anything without repercussion"
And here's our winner.

Without character progression, the game becomes item based. You'd think item loss on death is a good deterrent, but no. In most games that use it, gearing up is trivial. You can be geared up and ready to go within 2 minutes of dying.
>>
File: squoosh.jpg (279 KB, 738x497) Image search: [Google]
squoosh.jpg
279 KB, 738x497
>>344803734
>I want to gather and craft items/gear/etc. to give myself an edge over players that do not have them
>I want a skill-based game

Pick one.
>>
>>344803734
Play Kerbal Space Program then. They give you all the tools you need, but you still need to know what you're doing to get anywhere.
>>
>>344807314
>>344807569
take a look at

>>344807224
>>
>No fantasy game like EVE

That's all I'm asking. Maybe less on the spreadsheet side
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.