[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nintendo only gets 10% revenue from Pokemon Go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: 169.jpg (46 KB, 578x327) Image search: [Google]
169.jpg
46 KB, 578x327
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Oh-the-irony-Nintendo-earning-much-less-from-Pokemon-Go-than-Apple-or-Google_id83092?

>Actually, Nintendo just entered into a $30 million partnership with Niantic and the Pokemon Company to create the game. Niantic used to be owned by Google, and its crown jewel in augmented reality so far has been the excellent, but niche Ingress title, which took the fusion of game and real life to the next level by utilizing the power of Google Maps. Niantic was spun off when Google did its restructuring that turned it into Alphabet, and continued the collaboration with Nintendo, while the Pokemon Company is just a venture created to manage the licensing of the Pokemon characters, of which Nintendo owns a third.

>Apple and Google, on the other hand, collect a third of the sales that happen on their application stores, so each time you buy PokeBalls and other Go paraphernalia to level up, they earn a chunk of change, too. In fact, analysts estimate that out of $100 spent on Pokemon Go in-app purchases, the Silicon Valley giants take their respective 30%, then 30% go to the game developer Niantic, another 30% will go to the Pokemon franchise, and about 10% are left for Nintendo.

Holy shit, this is a disaster for Nintendo considering this was supposed to be their savior.
>>
>>344762335
>30% will go to the Pokemon franchise
Who?
>>
>>>/vp/
>>
>>344762335
>Holy shit, this is a disaster
yeah having their stock rise 12% is a fucking nightmare they're fucked
>>
10% is a big cut for something they had little to do with. You would know this if you weren't underage. This game is going to make millions and millions of dollars.

Stuff like clash of clans was making 900 million a year at it's peak, and Pokemon Go is looking like it's gonna be even bigger than that. It's fucking everywhere.
>>
>>344762403
The pokemon company

Which is owned by nintendo.

I only downloaded the apk, and not from the play store. Does Google still get my money if I decide to spend some?
>>
Not even going to lie, this shit makes me want to grab one of my shitty go-phones and enable a cruddy data plan just to try playing it.

But I don't think I've anything modern enough laying around that could.
>>
>>344762335
>Analysts estimate...
In other words, take it with a grain of salt.

Also, Nintendo owns 33% of the franchise, so even if this estimate holds some ground, they'd actually be earning maybe around 20% due to equity in the Pokemon company. The 12% boost in stock is nothing to sneeze at either.

Not only that, but Niantic is a developer right? Wouldn't they have been paid already for their work before hand, or do they have some contracted deal?
>>
>>344762335
>10 percent of a billion dollars
>plus their share of whatever the Pokemon Company makes off the deal

Yeah, Nintendo is doooooooooooooomed ;^)
>>
>>344762951

100 million is chump change for big tier companies. Apple alone holds 250 billion of cash RESERVES.
>>
>>344762638
The initial hype will wear off once normies can't sperg out about how big of a special snowflake they are for playing the game anymore.

It'll probably do pretty well though, i just wish it wasn't everwhere i fucking turned
>>
they should totally go third party with these margins
>>
Can't companys negotiate different rates? I assumed that the one third that apple takes is mainly for regular jackoffs not companies whith products who could easily earn them hundreds of millions.
>>
>>344763304
>The initial hype will wear off once normies can't sperg out about how big of a special snowflake they are for playing the game anymore.
Literally nobody thinks this. Everyone knows that everyone is playing it, autistic fuck.
>>
>>344763387

>what is leverage

Apple doesnt need nintendo, they need apple if they want to be on the most popular smartphone on the planet. Can you imagine Go not being available on ios?
>>
>>344762895

this. also nintendo has some stock in gamefreak and creatures inc (who own the remaining 66% of pokemon) so nintendo indirectly profits from there as well
>>
>>344762335
FAKE
>>
>>344762638
Clash of Clans does these money because it's P2W and normies get butthurt when they lose in P2W game. Pokemon Go is not.
>>
>>344763550
Android has more marketshare than iOS, doesn't it?
>>
>This was supposed to be those savor

No
No one ever said this, it's a fucking app. Pokemon isn't even fully owned by Nintendo. I fucking hate you retards constantly shitting up the quality of the board with your retarded threads
>>
>>344763515
You'd be surprised how many faggots out there still think they're nerds for playing pokemon

Consider suicide
>>
>>344763759
>Consider suicide
Maybe you should considering you're acting so offended at people enjoying this game. Maybe then, you'd truly be happy.
>>
>30% goes to Apple/Google
>30% goes to Niantic
>10% goes to Game Freak
>10% goes to Nintendo
>10% goes to Creatures
Where does the remaining 10% go? Also, while Game Freak is completely autonomous, Nintendo has an undisclosed stake in Creatures. Some of what Creatures get is Nintendo's as well.
>>
So they gain 10% of the cut for doing absolutely nothing other than lending the name of the franchise.

What a rip off.
>>
>>344763703

Profits matter, ios fags spend much more money overall.
>>
>>344763124

They actually don't. That money is overseas and is in long-terms securities. That also doesn't take into account all of the debt Apple is accruing.
>>
>>344762895
>or do they have some contracted deal?
I would assume they're also in charge of the servers and most likely are still under contract for developing future updates like trading.
>>
File: 1466255236148.png (15 KB, 563x587) Image search: [Google]
1466255236148.png
15 KB, 563x587
>>344763874
>Where does the remaining 10% go?
It goes to (You).
>>
>>344763663
Yeah but Clash of Clans was never this popular either.

Anecdotal, but I went for a bike ride in a park near my neighborhood yesterday and saw literally about 100 people aged 15-35 walking around with their phones out talking about Pokemon like giant fags.

It could be short lived but this is one of the biggest smart phones game ever and everybody has a smart phone now.
>>
>>344763759
>You'd be surprised how many faggots out there still think they're nerds for playing pokemon

Thinking you're a "nerd" for playing Pokemon and thinking you're special/unique for playing Pokemon are different things, you hyper-autist. Kill yourself. Don't even just "consider" suicide, go do it.
>>
>>344763874
Nintendo also owned large share on gamefreak albeit not majority
>>
>>344763916

Their debt is neglible in comparison to their assets.
>>
>>344763828
I was never interested in the game even when i saw the trailer. I don't have an issue with pokemon although i haven't played a game since gen 3, but i do have a problem with the fact that everyone spergs out when you point out the fact that it will go the way of all mobile games, i.e. into obscurity when the next flavour of the month app comes out

People get so vehemently upset when you show disinterest in the game you'd swear it was a cult. It's fucking annoying to have to go on a 10 paragraph essay about how "you just aren't interested in pokemon go"every time some fag calls you a contrarian for not liking it
>>
>>344764065
The overlap is pretty big

Also no thanks I'm not a faggot like you
>>
>>344762335
That's not surprising. Niantic will litearlly have to do all the work, all the maintenance, all the patches, all the legal crap, along with working on implementing new Pokemon and events and other shit. Nintendo will just happily collect money from it.

Nintendo wouldn't want to waste any people outside of 1 or 2 people to oversee things every now and again. Nintendo needs every single person they got to be working on new games for NX if they want any hope of keeping their brands relevant.
>>
>>344764431
Not being interested means you should be ignoring the hype, not fuming at the mouth and writing an essay whenever it's discussed on a chinese virtual novel masturbation forum.
>>
>>344762895
>Also, Nintendo owns 33% of the franchise
nope. nintendo is a majority shareholder of Game Freak which is a 2nd party developer. they have a stake in Creatures Inc too.
>>
Nintendo is making money doing nothing, how is that bad for consoles or handhelds?
>>
>>344762335
Nintendo does not deserve more than 10% DESU.
>>
Wtf?! I hate PokemonGo now
>>
>Nintendo can't even make a brand new mobile game.
>>
>>344762335
>pokemon company and gamefreak shit out endless rehashes without innovation for 2 decades
>people ask for a 3d open world pokemon game that entire time
>gamefreak refuses
>eventually go the opposite direction and make a mobile app instead
>its breaks records
People who actually want to play good games really do get fucked every time
>>
>>344762335
That's a lot of money considering all Nintendo did was say "okay, you guys can use the character" and marketing. Ten percent just for permission is something a mafia don would do.
>>
>>344762801
Even if you don't download the apk from them, the microtransactions send you to the Google Store for payment
>>
File: rip.png (52 KB, 616x497) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
52 KB, 616x497
Wait, pokemon is now more popular than it was?
I must hate these series now and shitpost in all Pokemon threads.
>>
>>344763759

Nah, a part of the appeal is the hype train. Everyone I've talked to about it is talking about how everyone else they know is playing it, and I've even seen people sharing pictures and videos of big crowds gathering at pokestops.

You're probably projecting that you want to be a special snowflake like the other assblasted anons on /v/ who are mad because they think they are special mlg for only considering playing real pokemon games.
>>
>>344766082
Normies who were never into Pokemon are suddenly playing Pokemon Go. It will get Ingress popularity real fast.
>>
Nintendo must get more than 10%, they own share in the companies involved and the ''Pokémon'' trademark belongs to them.
>>
>>344762335

>supposed to be their savior

>implying they need saving
>implying their stock didn't go up billions
>implying they aren't laughing all the way to the bank
>implying Zelda isn't going to give them more billions
>implying the NX isn't going to give them even more billions
>>
>>344762335
>Apple and Google always take a cut from every purchase
>Op can't figure out 30 apple + 30 niantic + 40 nintendo
>Op can't figure out 30 google + 30 niantic + 40 nintendo
You are a fucking simpleton.
>>
>>344762801
>owned by nintendo
Isn't it a joint ownership between Game Freak and Ninty?
>>
>>344762801
>Which is owned by nintendo.

It's a joint ownership between Game Freak, Creatures Inc, and Nintendo actually.
>>
Damn even when Nintendo is involved with something that takes off into a cultural phenomenon people still find a way to shitpost about them being doomed.
>>
>>344766540
>cold hard facts come out that maybe Nintendo isn't making the billions you though they were
>"THE SHITPOSTING ILLUMINATI STRIKES AGAIN SPREADING BLATANT MISINFO AGAINST LORD NINTENDO"
>>
Wow, they get a chunk of a mobile game's money every day for doing literally nothing? Sucks to be them.
>>
>>344762951
And guess what, it's still less than Uncharted 4's 200 million gross
>>
>>344767038
You know what's gonna gross way more than that?

Sun and Moon.
>>
>>344766425
>>344766510
It's a joint ownership, but since Nintendo has stakes in Game Freak and Creatures, they own about 80% of the Pokémon Company.
>>
>>344766738
>Cold hard facts
But they're not, Nintendo owns a piece of everything around it so they're making more money.
>>
>>344767597
3ds install base isnt big enough. once nintendo starts developing primarily for mobile (next year) their cash shop sales will be huge
>kids buying rare candies for $2 a piece
this is the future nintendrones chose by defending nintendos cancerous actions for the last decade
>>
The real question is how they're making any money.
>>
File: how-big-is-pokemon-3-638.jpg (45 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
how-big-is-pokemon-3-638.jpg
45 KB, 638x479
>>344767597
>he thinks go is gonna stop the trend of declining pokemon sales when it's srllibg point is that it only had genwun in it
Apex kek, never stop dreaming
>>
>>344762570
>>344762638
Thai damage control

They got swindled and Pokemon company is just as independent as retro studios , they only pay a small dime to Nintendo for using their IP.

Stock rising doesn't mean shit

Blockbuster stocks rose many ,
many times before they eventually bankrupted and rose again after bankruptcy.

This is nothing new Nintendo is still going to either go full mobile and start lending IPs or become a bigger arrogant company than last thought to be and go full console exclusive with nx
>>
>>344762335
>another 30% will go to the Pokemon franchise, and about 10% are left for Nintendo.
So nintendo gets 30%? Because the pokemon company is owned 66% by Nintendo 33% by gf
>>
>>344767861
>reading conprehension

I was saying Sun and Moon are going to gross more than Uncharted.

>>344768304
Even in "decline" Pokemon sales are fantastic.
>>
>>344762335
And this is why they'll never stop making mainline Pokemon games you fucking retards.
Sun and Moons sales will be average for a Pokemon game despite the explosion of Who's popularity. That's when Nintendo will realize the only people playing this game are poorfags who can't even be arsed to buy a Nintendo system
>>
>thing that happens literally every app also happened Nintendo/Pokemon Company

Wow. Amazing news.
>>
>>344770767
>Who's
*Go's
>>
>>344767620
>but since Nintendo has stakes in Game Freak

This explain why tembo is on WiiU
>>
>>344767620
>since Nintendo has stakes in Game Freak and Creatures, they own about 80% of the Pokémon Company.
This.

How do people not know this already?
>>
>>344768691
>Pokemon company is just as independent as retro studios

Who was talking about Damage Control?
>>
>>344762335
>>>/vp/
>>
>>344764081
Nope, they haven't. Game Freak is completely independent.
>>
I like how regardless of how much dosh Nintendo is definitely making off of this game for basically doing nothing, people here will spin it someway into how it's bad or how Nintendo is still doomed.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.