[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does Smash do right that it's imitators don't?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
What does Smash do right that it's imitators don't? And don't say roster, that's just cheating.
>>
>controls aren't shit
>percentage-based launching makes fighting fun since you don't have to build up a dumb meter or drain a life bar to score KOs
>significant character variety
>>
>>344759329
>dumb meter
Cloud and little mac say hi. And no, you can't excuse cloud, he's already too powerful to have shit that can KO you starting at 60 or 70%
>>
>>344757969
It's not an imitation
>>
Gameplay. There's a reason why people still stick to melee
>>
Very fluid gameplay
>>
>>344757969

What imitators? Sony All-stars and a bunch of literally-whos? Or are you saying Jump Super Stars is a bad game?
>>
It really is roster. No one would play Smash if it didn't have Nintendo characters. That's why Project M exists, instead of people making their own game.
>>
>>344759539
This was directly referencing All Stars, as you can ONLY KO people in that by using a meter based "ultimate". Most of the time this just means building it to 3 and getting a guaranteed triple.
>>
>>344757969
Well honestly, the roster's much of it. Not a lot of games feature an Italian plumber fighting a boxer from the Bronx, an anime princess from the future, a ninja frog, a psychic kid with a baseball bat, a fox who pilots a spaceship, Pac-Man, and Cloud at the same time.
I'd argue that Playstation All Stars got close, but didn't hit the cigar because of the poor gameplay and music choices to accompany the nice roster. So the gameplay and roster really are the big parts, but there needs to be some all-around nice fluff like stages and music to accompany it.
>>
>>344759539
>shit that can KO you starting at 60 or 70%
Not after that huge nerf on finishing touch, I hit a Jigglypuff at 90% with it and she still lived.
>>
>>344760260
rage, other than that. The game's pretty great
>>
>>344759329
>>significant character variety
I don't think that's a Smash strong point, but with it's huge cast it's kind of expected to have a lot of overlapping and redundant characters.
>>
>>344760551
Characters don't overlap that much, mostly due to their moveset
>>
>https://youtube.com/watch?v=97BDoEMyuks
#4theMeleePlayers
>>
>>344760991
Looks bland, but I much prefer it to Rivals of Aether. 3D just fits the genre a lot more.
>>
>>344757969
W A V E D A S H I N G
>>
>>344760991
>return to the golden age of competitive platformer fighters
>>
Well the roster helps, but it also plays much smoother and strikes a good balance between randomness and skill that keeps it interesting for casual players while allowing for you to eliminate it if you want to play more seriously. It's has a lot of interesting amd wacky attacks and the characters play really differently, even for casual players. It also has some of the better sp content for a fighter and the amount of customization allows for tons of different games. Like you can play 4 player Ffa with all female characters and no items or you can play all Pokemon characters with poke balls, or you could play 1v1 no items or you could play all falcon 2v2 with bats/beam swords and they will all be really different and fun while maintaining the same core gameplay. It's like taking the custom games from fps and combining it with the action of a fighter along with the basic fun of a platformer
>>
>>344761591

Anything good in the genre was released over 10 years ago, so they're right.
>>
>>344761894
Well meme'd
>>
>>344761920

>Sony All-Stars fan detected.
>>
hitstun

every other smash clone feels like youre playing water and not in the good way, i cant tell at all when i hit someone or not
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.