[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What MMOs are out there that are worth playing? Can be a private
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 19
File: mmo_overhyped-610x339.jpg (198 KB, 610x339) Image search: [Google]
mmo_overhyped-610x339.jpg
198 KB, 610x339
What MMOs are out there that are worth playing?

Can be a private server or whatever

are mmos dead?
>>
>>344743318
FFXIV is enjoyable. It doesn't have the feel that FFXI had, but it's still enjoyable.
>>
>>344743318
I've been enjoying ESO quite a bit. But I also have a regular running partner to team and rp with.
>>
None. And don't fall for the FFXIV meme.
>>
>>344743406
>>344743504
been looking at both of these but i don't think my laptop can handle them
>>
>>344743649
Laptop?

Play DFO then you poor-ass nigga.
>>
>>344743649
Ah, I see. Perhaps you should share laptop specs?

Also
>TOR
>Represented by a character who's been dead since before the first update
>Calling itself an MMO
>Current updates force solo play
>>
>>344743318
Only FFXIV, otherwise you need to go back to WoW, everything else is not even D-Grade
>>
>>344743814
>>344743720

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz

Video Card
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Video Card #2
Radeon (TM) HD 6490M

RAM
6.0 GB

it's shitty but plz no bully
>>
>>344743318
>are mmos dead?
i think so, at least until something for vr comes out. most mmos are too similar and don't offer much except for ways to be milked out of time/money by grinding.

feels bad because i loved ultima online at its peak. i played knight online for a bit after ultima online and recently played it again, but they sell items in the cash shop to grind for you; the whole game feels cheap and full of cheaters.
>>
>>344743970
It's really bad. Man DFO really is where you're going to end up.

Not that DFO is a bad game.
>>
Did TERA wind up being any good?
>>
>>344744109
Okay thank you I'll give that one a try it looks fun
>>
>>344743318
ded, everyone plays session-based games instead
FFXIV is a local meme, it as dull as any mmo, without franchise it wouldve been dead twice
>>
>>344743318
ToR and GW2 warrant a play for the storylines. Blade and Soul has some story to it as well and I'm sure the pvp is greatly improved with the increase in level cap (more points to spend, more talent options unlocked as well). It also allowed you to buy the in-game shop currency with your game gold. B&S also has the unique advantage of the US client being behind korea so they are aggressively patching to get the west up to par.

I think if you're going to make any long-term time investments you should probably play ARR or WoW though. Both have a sufficient level of difficulty in raids (Savage and Mythic respectively) and FFXIV crafting is great. If pvp is your thing, drop XIV and maybe try B&S.
>>
EVE is good. You might not like it (odds are you probably won't) but it's a well-made game with a consistent playerbase.
>>
>>344745340
>ToR and GW2 warrant a play for the storylines.

Neither of them have good storylines, especially not TOR. GW2 at least has a pretty fun levelling experience with an empty endgame, but avoid TOR like the plague.
>>
>>344745557
Almost all of the Imperial storylines are decent to good. I'll go ahead and say the Agent is far and away the best.
>>
>>344744191
It's shit, improperly balanced classes, buggyand poorly optimized.

Mostly played by pedos for the lolis
>>
File: fat cat.png (1 MB, 1016x1167) Image search: [Google]
fat cat.png
1 MB, 1016x1167
>Decent grinds if you need something to do while listening to podcasts
PSO2
Warframe

>Should have been single player games
FFXIV: ARR
The Old Republic
The Secret World

No but really, people play session based games such as Overmeme, LoL/Dota etc. MMMOs are kind of a relic from a bygone era when these games were the best and easiest way to connect with lots of random strangers online. We have social media for that now.
MMOs have never had the best gameplay, story or presentation. They have always been chatrooms with gameplay. Now people would rather play a game with good gameplay while sitting on their local Discord/Mumble/whatever and meet strangers through Twitter, facebook, Steam or what have you.

Also don't even think about playing some Korean shovelware MMO. Come on, anon, you have better things you could be doing with your time.
>>
>>344745734
Agent is the best, but it's still not great. Basically all of the stories have "moments" but never work as a full story due to how compartmentalized they are. Making this game an MMO was a mistake.
>>
File: 144-the-secret-world.jpg (138 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
144-the-secret-world.jpg
138 KB, 1024x768
Great lovecraftian inspired MMO. Really the only MMO I play for the storyline and every side mission story. You hardly find other players in the open world besides the "safe zones" Agartha and the three main cities. But that's part of the athmosphere as you're supposed to feel isolated in the TSW universe.
>>
>>344745798
>MMOs have never had the best gameplay, story or presentation. They have always been chatrooms with gameplay.

They're the best comfy genre though, especially the sandbox ones.
>>
>>344744191
If by good you mean releasing 3 or 4 new classes exclusive to the pedo race, yeah, it's great.
>Kratos class
>LET'S MAKE IT EXCLUSIVE TO THE PEDOS.
>Ninja class
>YOU
>CAN'T
>GUESS
>WHAT
>ARE
>WE
>GOING
>TO
>DO
>>
Herowarz, it's a pretty fucking fun Diablo style ARPG and even has a nice story too if you're into that, plus there's the obvious gear grind on the end game

There are a ton of classes to choose from and you can customize them pretty decently too
>>
File: waste.png (2 KB, 214x30) Image search: [Google]
waste.png
2 KB, 214x30
>>344745798
>recommending Warframe
The one thing MMOs do better than most other genres is endgame content to keep you going back. And Warframe has literally no worthwhile endgame. It's a joke game that has grindwalls behind other grindwalls behind other grindwalls. Shame, since the gameplay is actually really solid.
>>
File: dragonslut caster.jpg (1 MB, 3480x4200) Image search: [Google]
dragonslut caster.jpg
1 MB, 3480x4200
>>344745896
Even then I'm inclined to disagree. MMOs with housing/land management, for example, pale in comparison to a game that is designed around that aspect. Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Stardew Valley. Or even just a damn sim game.

MMOs with big expansive worlds can be comfy when it comes to exploration, but they're not really designed to let you just run around and explore.

>>344746090
I hardly listed any games for a reason - the genre is almost not worth playing at all. I cannot recommend literally any other title in the genre over playing literally any other genre.

Warframe has a purpose in being a game where you can just grind, endlessly. The gameplay is solid, so the grinding can be quite pleasant. This makes the game good for playing in the background while your mind is focused on something else - like listening to a podcast.
I would absolutely not recommend it as a game to play as a meaningful or entertaining experience on its own.
>>
>>344745880
This - fucking awesome lore and story, missions(quests) are usually great, tons of voice acting.. the combat is pretty shit, but if you can endure it, go for this one.
>>
File: TERA_Castanic_female_2k.jpg (612 KB, 2000x3007) Image search: [Google]
TERA_Castanic_female_2k.jpg
612 KB, 2000x3007
>>344744191
>>344745751
>>344745914
It's a pretty shallow experience. Mediocre quests, content, class design. It looks nice, I'll give it that. If you must play it, level one class, go through all the content, maybe PvP a couple times and then quit. Will take you maybe a month of casual play to do.

There's no reason to keep playing beyond that anyway. There's nothing there. They release maybe three dungeons a year and every now and then they'll do one of these meme class updates.
>>
>>344745880
>>344746426
Great game for everything except the actual core gameplay part. Probably should have just been a single player game.
>>
Is everquest any good? Friend wants me to play it with him just he hasn't played it in forever.
>>
>>344746564
>>It's a pretty shallow experience. Mediocre quests, content, class design. It looks nice, I'll give it that. If you must play it, level one class, go through all the content, maybe PvP a couple times and then quit. Will take you maybe a month of casual play to do.

>this pretty much describes FFXIV
>>
>>344743318
>>344744191

Look at ANY MMORPGs today and they will all have mixed reviews. Do not go after the perfect mmo. It does not exist. What does exist though are mmos which cater towards a specific playerbase and that's what you need to look for.

I did not mind Tera at all. Elin saved their game so of course they were going to make multiple Elin exclusive classes. I also played it with a huge /a/ guild and those were the most fun 18 months I had playing any mmo.
>>
>>344746675
TERA has better gameplay than FFXIV and worse everything else.

I don't know how people can say FFXIV has little content. It has a metric fuckton of content. It will take you months of casual play to see everything FFXIV has to offer.
>>
>>344743318
Can be fun for a while tier
Wow
Ffxiv
Playable but not great tier
GW2
BDO
Bad tier
W*
ESO
ToS
Tera
>>
>>344743318
ToR was pretty good when the whole le tortanic shit happened here. Pretty much vanilla pvp with the best bg huttball. Dunno how it's now probably p2w shit like nu-wow.
>>
File: bullseye.gif (1016 KB, 442x145) Image search: [Google]
bullseye.gif
1016 KB, 442x145
>>344746785
>Elin saved their game
it basically aggressively pandered to the loli audience. But that does not mean that you should reward elin with unique classes. What about people that stuck around even though they arent the elin audience? Hell the initial setup was everyone could play anything. And then suddenly you limit things. If you want that so bad at least consider every class that you first gave to everyone.
>>
>>344743406
Xiv is enjoyable until about 40. The story isn't really good enough to slog through the dungeon treadmill.
>>
File: 1368390549788.jpg (2 MB, 2463x1421) Image search: [Google]
1368390549788.jpg
2 MB, 2463x1421
>>344746998
https://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/BHS-Elin-saved-Tera

Yes, that's how they make their money. I am not praising BHS, they are lazy about a lot of things but at the end of the day they need to make a living. If you want new classes at a reasonable pace they will have to racelock them. Also let's not forget that Humans have an exclusive class as well and Castanics/High Elfs do as well.
>>
>>344746862
It has tons of worthless content.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
Id' say I'm Dirty Dan!
>>
File: BnS-Shot-12.jpg (732 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
BnS-Shot-12.jpg
732 KB, 1280x720
Blade and Soul motherfucker
>>
File: KN21NNd.jpg (297 KB, 1639x1024) Image search: [Google]
KN21NNd.jpg
297 KB, 1639x1024
>another MMO thread
>still no one talking about this
Am I literally the only one on /v/ that even played this game?
>>
>>344743318
Mmos have been dead since 2004. I've finally stopped playing ffxi and fuck if I don't wish there was a single good mmo to play.
>>
>>344747436
Why is it so damn hard to catch up? I started around mid February I think(I had played the beta until max level), the levelling was incredibly slow and boring except for a few dungeons but once you get to level 45 you need to do all the old content to get the old gear so you can start with max level content. I thought those things would take a few days but even after 2 weeks I was barely done with my level 45 weapon and Earrings. The other path which initially gives you free stuff is more expensive in the long run and everybody in the guild told me not to go for it. It's so silly having to do every little 45 content even though you are already level 50 just so you can have passable gear to do entry level stuff. And don't get me started on the fps loss on that world boss or in those soulstone plains. How do you play those as a melee class?
>>
>>344746998
they gon b ok?
>>
>>344747521
irrelevant. jewforge ruined it within months. it was pretty fun though.

I heard nexon's new mmo, riders of icarus is some kind of aion+tera mix but so far I've read that the beta has been nothing but a huge failure.
>>
>>344747436
Looks like it should be fun on paper. Has awful performance, an awful UI and is just terribly generic and unfun otherwise.

>>344747521
Was alright back in 2009 if you had low standards and weren't just playing WoW. Is shit now.
>>
>>344747521
Ive played it and it was terrible.

>crafting has 20% chance to give a better item, so you basically have to pray to the RNG gods that you get something worth selling
>repeatable missions that are kill 30 bats
>wings can only be used in very few places, you outlevel these few flying spots very easily
>weird combo system
>water kills you
>mission for best armor ever requires you to run all over the world (with no guaranteed spawn), kill 500 mobs, for an insanely expensive item AND ONLY HAVE A 20% CHANCE TO ACTUALLY GET IT and other retarded shit
>starting wings look best
>PvP was stupid
>flying was a mistake
>>
File: tapestry.jpg (68 KB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
tapestry.jpg
68 KB, 699x699
>>344743406

>anno domini two thousand six and ten
>subscribing to a MMO
>>
File: help.jpg (15 KB, 326x150) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
15 KB, 326x150
>>
>>344747668
Yeah true. The problem is lv 45 used to be the max lv, but then they moved the cap to lv 50. And you're talking about the pirate path for the weapon. They removed it.

But gold will be free at lv 50 so you can pretty much bow everything you need. And rerool a summoner if you actually want to loot the boars.
>>
>>344746564
>>344746785

There's something about the world and atmosphere of Tera that I just find incredibly hooking. Never experienced anything like it. You can clearly see a lot of effort was put into designing the world, even though you can also tell a lot of areas are unfinished, or weren't used for what they were meant to.

I haven't played it for a year, but every now and then I still get urges to install it just to level another character. Then I remember how completely it's been destroyed and cry.
>>
>>344746862
New dungeons added to the treadmill do not count as content. It all feels the same at this point. Hell it was all the same pre-heavensward too.
>>
>>344747436

I really wanted to like it, but kept getting nothing but errors trying to install patches and the levels were so buggy I just gave up.
>>
>>344748769
>New content doesn't count as content
If you want to say that the game's updates have become very predictable and repetitive, that's an argument you can make, or that you feel the dungeons don't set themselves apart enough to feel truly different.

I'm of the belief the game would have been better if it was single player, anyway.
>>
File: 151352345526.jpg (51 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
151352345526.jpg
51 KB, 400x300
Im still playing Lineage 2 on private Interlude servers. Its the only MMO that is actually good, shame they ruined it after that though
>>
>there's no MMOs with a fun interactive magic system

This is the worst thing.
>>
File: 1424557838084.jpg (71 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1424557838084.jpg
71 KB, 256x256
Blade and soul is actually pretty nice for an asian leg simulator. The action combat system makes it interesting for some time and it looks pretty good.
I spent several weeks on there until max level
>>
>>344743318
Don't fall for the FFXIV meme. At this point in time, if you're a previous WoW player in disillusionment from the theme of MoP or the lack of content in WoD, Legion is essentially built to avoid all of its predecessor's specific problems.

FFXIV is an incredibly okay MMORPG, with player housing and raiding being the only decent aspects of the game. The story, PvP, player base, and crafting are all complete trash.

Most people I know that played, if they didn't raid, paid square Enix $12 a month to AFK with a pool of like-minded AFKer friends.
>>
Star Trek online is kinda entertaining even if it is samey as fuck.
>>
File: dolphin 2.jpg (135 KB, 657x768) Image search: [Google]
dolphin 2.jpg
135 KB, 657x768
I'm not a huge MMO guy.

I got GW2 at launch and it entertained me for about a month or so. I think maybe 120 hours played. Dungeons sucked, story was trash (if the necromancer elder dragon was such a threat, why did it only take a dozen cannonballs to destroy?), PvP sucked, WvWvW really sucked, legendary weapons as endgame was the worst fucking idea ever, especially since the game discourages farming

I got FFXIV last year and I did have a lot of fun with it. I kinda gave up when I unlocked the Alexander raid. I got tired of always trying to go after the next higher item level set. I will go back to it in the future but for now I'm just gonna play other games.

Pic related is a Dragoon mid-jump. It was my favorite class in FFXIV.
>>
>>344749016
It's not NEW though. Half of it is extreme modes or rehashes anyway.
>>
>>344751193
>legion shilling
it's going to be WoD 2.0, don't lie to yourself
>>
File: 1441919585007.jpg (74 KB, 532x394) Image search: [Google]
1441919585007.jpg
74 KB, 532x394
>>344744109
>not that dfo is a bad game
>>
>>344749196
>several weeks on there until max level
yeah thats the problem, its shallow af and then there is nothing to do, MMO without the 'massive' part
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.