[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Golden Sun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 1280x720
What do you think of this series?
For long time fans, how would you bring it back from the dead?
>>
i was in 8th grade when it came out and I got it as a gift. I thought the map it came with was really cool and the game itself blew me away. Had the 2nd one too but never beat it.
>>
REMOVE CHIBI
>>
>>344723014
It's a great series, really wish they made a third game.
>>
Most of the old staff was fired before Dark Dawn, and it showed. Let it rest in peace.
>>
I got the first one on Virtual Console and loved it. I'm in the middle of the second one, but I have a backlog that I need to get through before I can finish it.
>>
File: 1394393526248.gif (2 MB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
1394393526248.gif
2 MB, 400x226
>>344723345

i cant even ignore it anymore
that shit was just awful

at least sveta was cute though
>>
>>344723345
You mean fourth game right?
>>
>>344723489
Dark Dawn was a crime.
>>
>>344723386
>Let it rest in peace.
It would've been easier to let go if they had just not made DD at all.
>>
Literally Mediocre Generic JRPG #47,023. People only remember it so fondly because it was one of the very few GBA RPGs and they were too young to have played Chrono Trigger.
>>
There was a "Retro Employee" who came on here and said they're working on a new Golden Sun reboot, inspired by games like The witcher and Daggerfall

So there's that.
>>
>>344723521
>>344723539
Yikes
All I know about Dark Dawn is that it had a rad design for adult Issac
How bad was it?
>>
File: 1401807946129.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1401807946129.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>344723345
Stop.

>>344723014
I'm replaying this actually. Good stuff, I Just crossed the sea.

Remaster both into one game with additional content. If it flops its dead if not funking finish this damn story.

>>344723572
>too young
Nice excuse Its good, just extremely limited compared to the sequel.
>>
The only thing you can do is remaster it.

Other than that reviving the franchise is a waste of effort.
>>
>>344723572
I liked it for its easy to use class system, the puzzles, the environments, the lore, the animation being used on a Game Boy Advanced, but most importantly I loved Golden Sun for the music. The amount of music, and the variety, and just how good it all was is what makes Golden Sun stand out to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5d1rrbNo3o&fmt=18
>>
File: isaac.png (238 KB, 400x478) Image search: [Google]
isaac.png
238 KB, 400x478
>>344723605
>The witcher and Daggerfall

Absolutely disgusting. I'll take another Dark Dawn over completely changing the game.
>>
>>344723014
It was a miracle we got a third game at all. That's it, the dreams over. go home.
>>
>>344723630
I don't remember too much about the game, but it doesn't answer many questions TLA left and presents a million new ones. Ends in a worse cliffhanger than GS but without the TLA to continue it.
Also dumbed down in terms of dungeons and puzzles.
>>
>>344723630
Granted, Golden Sun's story is pretty ridiculous, but Dark Dawn takes it up to bad shonen anime levels, and party is filled with literally whos.
>>
>>344723873
Golden Sun was never really liked for the writing, but it was still just OK. DD is like Camelot shat itself.
>>
>>344723873
I liked the whole "planet is hibernating" idea.
>>
>>344723014
You'd have to shake it up a bit if you want it to succeed in today's market, but it could work.
Your characters have to be pretty in a more modern anime style, so the original character designer will have to go, and you'll need to be able to pair them up and such. Fire Emblem and Persona suddenly got big because that shit sells like wildfire. I'm thinking something like a double protagonist, a dude and a chick, and you choose who they pair up with from the playable cast. Maybe you have to do chapters where they are separated with a cast of 4 and meet up at endgame with a combined cast of 8 like in GS2.
Character interaction is huge, exposition is trite. Kraden cannot possibly exist. Motherfucker was worthless in GS2 and probably had 80% of the dialogue. Instead of that, bring in skits from Tales or Personal Actions or Social Links or whatever you want to crib from - basically dial up the "adventurin' with buddies" to 11.
After that, you can do whatever the fuck you want gameplay wise. Make the best possible re-imagining of Golden Sun's class system you could, slap on an easy mode so modern youths can access the game and make it profitable and a hard mode for people who grew up with old Golden Suns.

If modern kids can stomach turn based SRPG's and SMT combat for hanging out with friends stories, they'll buy into a new Golden Sun.
>>
File: b0186535_1513464.jpg (229 KB, 450x562) Image search: [Google]
b0186535_1513464.jpg
229 KB, 450x562
I will always like GS.

> how would you bring it back from the dead?
I have no idea. I've just gotten used to the fact that Camelot just doesn't know what to do either.
>>
I loved it, but I don't think I would revive it given the chance. Sometimes a series is better left alone to be remembered as one of the greats.
>>
>>344723014
I would hook up the gba to my computer and record the specific songs via the midirecorder. I would play the songs endlessly; when MP3's became a thing I bought a RCA lyra to import the songs. I played "battle with Saturos" the first time i had fug, she didn't understandu but I rammed my cock into her anyways.
>>
File: 1466142703248.jpg (275 KB, 692x702) Image search: [Google]
1466142703248.jpg
275 KB, 692x702
>>344723521
>tfw Sveta was the only good thing to come out of it.
>Her and Matthew tore through the whole game.
>forced to give her shitty gear at the final boss
>if a fourth game somehow ends up being made, she would probably get replaced by another fast tissue-paper skinned Jupiter wizard.
>>
I remember liking the first game on GBA and people complaining when Pokemon didn't look like it.
>>
>>344723014
>For long time fans, how would you bring it back from the dead?

Wouldn't. Just best to let good games rest in peace. We tried to revive it earlier and got Dark Dawn.

I would be open to a new Golden Sun set in an entirely different world with different plot line but similar game mechanics however. Much like how ever Final Fantasy game is independent from each other. They wrapped up 1 and 2 well enough, best to start from scratch with something different.
>>
>>344723968
http://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/
>>
>>344724847
Yep, I'd definitely agree with it being in a separate world. We've already explored the entirety of Weyard packed into a GBA game, there's no need to set another game in it.
>>
>>344724921
Every thread. At least use your own arguments.
>>
>>344724985
>they swim off of the edge of the world
>entirely new area set in Weyard
Also the area near the Mars Lighthouse was super cool.
>>
File: 1435276650240.jpg (209 KB, 600x574) Image search: [Google]
1435276650240.jpg
209 KB, 600x574
>>344724608
Wnt to believe you so badly anon
>>
Isn't the plot of Dark Dawn literally just a fetch quest to fix a fucking glider?
>>
File: gs-log3.jpg (107 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
gs-log3.jpg
107 KB, 600x580
>>344725309
Yes.

And it takes the whole game to resolve it.
>>
>>344725365
I thought Menardi's sister was a whore, but then this bitch showed up.
>>
File: 783747.jpg (250 KB, 984x692) Image search: [Google]
783747.jpg
250 KB, 984x692
>>344725365
Dark Dawn was so forgettable I forget who this person was.

How could they screw up so badly after the first two games? Even the music, which was GOAT for the originals was hit or miss.
>>
Personally I'd first like to see a Golden Sun 1 and 2 combo pack for the 3DS or the NX, as long as we get a combo pack with updated graphics, some new weapons and Djinns, maybe some bonus dungeons. I remember loveing the series when I was younger, I'd just like it updated for more quality of life improvements like Psywaves on the bottom screen, maybe a minimap, realtime Djinn swapping, and so on.
>>
>>344725072
>let's disregard the actual argument!
Aside from all of the big bads being horribly incompetent and the overwhelming use of deus ex machina, what else do you want? Sure, this game isn't meant to be the next Final Fantasy, but for fucks' sake the logic in the writing is terrible.
>>
Base every aspect of the game around giant summons.
>>
File: 1464564560127.jpg (60 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
1464564560127.jpg
60 KB, 706x706
>>344723014
When I was young I shipped Mia and Garret together... when I heard about Dark Dawn I was pissed
>>
Always loved it, always will, even if it is definitely babby's first rpg. one of the first games i poured hundred of hours into. To this day the main theme still gives me chills and promises adventure. Though it needs to be left alone. things die, thats how life works.
>>
File: MarsLighthouse4.png (11 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
MarsLighthouse4.png
11 KB, 240x160
REMINDER THAT THIS GUY IS MARCHE-TIER
>>
>>344723014
Remember whent hey went to the desert and the blue girl kept complaining about how sweaty she was? I fantasized about pulling up her skirt and rubbing my face inbetween her crotch to get all of her sweat on me.
>>
>>344724608
Anon I would've came good job
>>
>>344723572
Oh, fuck off. I replayed the games just two weeks ago and they are still fantastic. It has deeper puzzles than you find in just about any other JRPG because of the wide variety of Psynergy. The battle system is pretty standard, but Djinn and summons mix things up and give it a unique flair. The Djinn also implement class changes in a manner like FF7's materia system, and require hunting/collection to really get the most out of it. The story is a great twist because there are very few games that let you play as both the protagonists and "antagonists" before letting you have all of them together. It also stays away from common JRPG tropes like how there's no actual "big bad". Alex or the Wise One come close, but even then their intentions remain ambiguous at the end of TLA. In that way, the game becomes a true struggle of Man vs. Nature, which is pretty uncommon in JRPGs.
>>
>>344726058
think we all did anon.
>>
>>344725732

>MUH TEXT IN JRPG GAMES
>>
>>344723630
I stopped right after that Forge area a bit into the game

>Walk into building
>Slow pan over all the mechanisms
>Characters talking
>More talking
>Looking over the mechanisms
>Small cutscene
>Finally get to act
>Take ten seconds to figure out the puzzle because it's insultingly simple and the game shoves your face into it so hard it's impossible not to get the blatant gimmick
>YOU DID IT ANON
>Cutscene where everything triggers
>More talking
>MORE. FUCKING. TALKING
>Another cutscene
>Walk out of building
>>
File: 1298901742722.jpg (61 KB, 320x304) Image search: [Google]
1298901742722.jpg
61 KB, 320x304
>>344726283
>>
>>344723014
Dark Dawn was a mistake and we all should pretend it never happened.

Put the first two games in a single 3ds cart, give it higher resolution sprites, more animation frames, rebalance the psyenergy and give it extra/cut content. Boom.
>>
>lots of things that had serious potential in my life
>they all go to shit
>can only dream of how to improve them but nothing can be changed about that
>>
>>344723014
>What do you think of this series?

boring retard shit back from the days you were a young idiot and your tastes in video game were shit

they still are shit btw
>>
>>344723014
People swear by this game but I cannot see whats so special about it
I played it a good bit too, but its very generic JRPG fare. I just got too bored to continue on.
>>
>>344727264
battles were cool as fuck, the world and characters were interesting enough, and the music was great. it's more about it's lack of flaws than the amount of things it excelled at
>>
>>344723014
I recently finished the first game and was pleasantly surprised at how briskly paced it was and how well the world map was designed. The Sprite art was really well done and the Djinn system was fairly interesting. Being able to do some things out of intended order was nice too.

The story and characters weren't anything to write home about but they got the job done.

Currently going through the second one right now and while I think the map design isn't quite as well put together as it was in the first, it more than makes up for it with even more freedom.
>>
>>344727897
>it more than makes up for it with even more freedom.
What I liked about TLA is that you can do certain things out of order. And still come out okay.
>>
I replayed all the games not that long ago, and took note of why I didn't like DD.

>The cast is bloated.
Most party members could be completely replaced by an item. Amiti would be the Insight Glass, Sveta is the Slap Glove, Eoleo is a boat, Himi is Search/Reveal. Each character is given some one-off plot role to explain their presence, much like Mia was in the original game. Mia, however, was a single character and represented many things that the other three were not. She was a water adept, a healer, a girl, and was the neutral presence. Garet and Isaac were intimately involved with the main quest from the beginning and Ivan very closely as well due to Hama, Hammet, and the Shaman's Rod. In Dark Dawn, only Sveta and Eoleo stand out from the rest. Sveta is a lycanthrope and gives the party a chance to see into the culture we briefly saw in Garoh. Eoleo is much older than the rest and represents an adult perspective from a Psynergy-user that didn't have an Adept parent. Unfortunately, Eoleo falls flat because he is treated the exact same as the others during the narrative despite being so different.

>music
In the original games, there was very little reuse of music. TLA reused more songs between areas, but had far more areas. Key set pieces ALWAYS had unique songs though, like the elemental rocks or lighthouses. In Dark Dawn, there is reused music throughout the entire game. The music is good, for sure, but definitely not as thematic as in the GBA games.
>>
>>344727264
Nostalgia mostly. Though they were technically impressive at the time, full console style rpgs on a handheld was basically unheard of back then, people were amazed to see it could be done so well.
>>
>>344727221

Hello underage
>>
>>344728242 (continued)
>no questions answered
What are Sheba's origins?
What happened to the Anemos?
Did Lemuria forgive Piers?
Did Ivan master his power of prophecy?
All these and more go unanswered in Dark Dawn. In Golden Sun, we had Lemuria hyped to hell and back. This continued throughout TLA until we got to Lemuria for some massive exposition and revelation. In Dark Dawn, only some of the most minor of questions from the old games (Did Isaac and Jenna get together?) get answered. This is compounded by the introduction of a host of brand new questions. What's the deal with Light and Dark Psynergy? Who are the Tuaparang and what do they really want? How will the party stop the Psynergy vortexes and Mourning Moon? The worst part is how we will probably never get those answers either because of how poorly Dark Dawn went over with fans.

>Too much dialogue
This stems from the party bloat, but I'll mention it on its own. You don't need a reaction from every character to every statement, and its only worse when there's eight characters that have very little differences. Most of these boil down to everyone reacting neutrally, someone asking Matthew for an opinion with an emoticon response that changes nothing, and Tyrell coming in at the end to be blunt and move the conversation forward. In Golden Sun, there are very few instances of "reactions" from the party. Instead, we saw the party act as a unit, where single characters stepped in and asked questions or spoke for the party as a whole very frequently. Conversations between party members still happened, but usually involved major plot points and were kept brief. Dark Dawn goes the complete opposite direction and runs with it.

There's more, probably, but those are the main things I feel most strongly about.
>>
>>344723181
This but I bought it when I was 18.

Amazing game, the djinn's and the quick paced battle along with the music did it for me.
>>
>>344723671
>Remaster
That would be brilliant.
>>
>>344723014
Karagol Sea was my jam. Such a good song.
>>
>>344725309
I swear, Dark Dawn ended before it even started.
The ending cliffhanger didn't even interest me. It just pissed me off.
>>
My first game in gba along pkmn sapphire and hm fomy. I miss shipping Isaac and Mia together. Jenna a shit.
>>
>Excellent combat
>Dem visuals
>Dat music
>Story that's a tad generic - but well executed, and with an interesting enough twist
>Dungeons and puzzles that would make a Zelda game jealous - can't think of many 2D Square RPG's with dungeons as good as these.

Why does anybody say this game is shit again?
>>
>>344723014
I've only played the first game. I thought the Djinn system was fucking great in theory but in practice there were only a couple viable setups and basic attacks (or summon spam) were generally more then enough so psynergy and djinn were underutilized. I also liked the psynergy puzzles. However, I disliked the characters, the storyline, and the writing overall. I don't dislike games with a lot of text, but the problem with golden sun (and SFIII) is that the text is poorly written. Characters waste a lot of time making emoticons, jumping up and down, pulsating (?), etc. as they deliver their bland dialogue.

In GS1 I didn't fight random battles at all and the game was really really easy. Can you also beat GS2 like that?
>>
>>344729975
No. Much more when you reach th magician and headless faggot.
>>
>>344729850
The combat is shallow as fuck and entirely falls apart once you get enough djinn to spam summons indefinitely.
The dialog and characterization is banal to a degree rarely seen even in games with no focus on story; the cast barely even has discernible personalities despite how much shit they spew.
The music is generic sakuraba affair; the compositions are nothing special though it is impressive it sounds as good as it does on the GBA.

I don't think they're shit but they're the definition of mediocre jrpgs to me. The puzzles are cool but they can't carry everything else.
>>
https://youtu.be/-hsQDpCqxIg

Thread theme
>>
>>344729975
TLA is beatable without any grinding, but you'll probably get fucked by the extra bosses the first few times. The story bosses in TLA are also slightly more difficult than the first game.
>>
Too many words. It's not that there are a lot of words it's the fact they repeat things 7 times in the span of what would be 4 pages of script. Yes I know we have to go to the tower to figure out whats up. I heard you the first 6 times.
>>
Really fun RPG with lots of charm and fantastic music. Second was the best and 3 was kind of bad. Still I'd love to see a fourth game, I remember there was a petition by the fans asking for it, but I guess that went nowhere.
>>
>>344730412
Pretentiousness, the post

Also stop cheesing summons if you want more challenging combat.
>>
One of gba's best games ever.
>>
>>344723014
>map, towns, overworld were nice.
>battle system was perfect
>combat on gba was more exciting than ps1
>characters were likeable
>djinn (And summons) were perfect
>djinn magic system (combining elements to unlock "classes" and spells was interesting

I loved it when it came out as a teen. I tried getting back into it and I found myself not really into the problem solving in the dungeons and the trek u have to travel... its lik eplaying dragon warrior/quest 1....
>>
>>344730412
>The music is generic sakuraba affair; the compositions are nothing special though it is impressive it sounds as good as it does on the GBA.
This isn't Tales anon. This was back when Sakuraba actually cared.
>>
>>344723014
dont have areas that you cant return to once you leave.
focus on waht they got right in the first games: music, fast based battles, cool graphics, djinn summons, alt classes, puzzles, and exploration.
>>
What all is wrong with DD?
>>
>>344723014
After Dark Dawn I think I'd rather let the series rest in peace.
>>
>>344723014
I think the way they handled their protagonists was really weird.

Isaac had absolutely no personality in the first game, presumably so the player can create his personality in their head. Then he shows up in the sequel and he can talk now so whatever ideas you had about his personality no longer matter. On the other hand, Felix was kind of a dick in the first game, but the moment you take control of him he's mute and everyone treats him exactly the way they treated Isaac. There is no difference in how NPCs react to Isaac or Felix.

It's not like in Persona 2 where a similar thing happens with Tatsuya and Maya, because how characters interact with them don't really change between games and their respective dialogue choices for the most part fall in line with how they behave in the other games. In Golden Sun, the only thing the protagonists are allowed to say when you control them are "Yes" or "No".

It's like, why even bother making them mute if you're gonna give them personalities anyway? Am I just supposed to ignore the fact that Felix was a dick in the first game now that I'm controlling him?
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.