[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No Man's Sky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: No-Mans-Sky-1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
No-Mans-Sky-1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Even if it isn't the most exciting game, it still looks like the comfiest game this year
>>
>>344705529
I'm sure it will be entertaining for a minimum of 20 hours.
>>
>>344705529

This looks like the type of game you have to play in 30 minute sessions and then go do something else, otherwise the novelty will wear off when you realize all it's flaws.

Like:

>all changes are saved locally
>anything major you do to a planet's environment is reset the instant you leave it's atmosphere
>there doesn't appear to be a globally cohesive trade simulation
>it's next to impossible to meet other players
>even if you were to say coordinate heavily and meet them, there's no legitimate method of communication; and thus, will be impossible to determine a true player from an NPC for the most part in the vastness of space
>the probability of even experiencing anything similar to Journey is likely impossible
>>
File: 193748686.jpg (15 KB, 252x220) Image search: [Google]
193748686.jpg
15 KB, 252x220
>>344706454
>anything major you do to a planet's environment is reset the instant you leave it's atmosphere

what's even the fucking point then
>>
no multiplayer = no buy
>>
>>344706454
I'm okay with that. I'm expecting Space Engine, but with sci-fi shit. I honestly have no interest in meeting up with other players, or making an impact on anything.

I can see how this game isn't for everyone, and I feel sorry for the faggots who honestly get tricked into thinking it's a U CAN DU ANYTHING!!!!!! game.
>>
>>344705529
Not if the last guardian release date ends up being real.
>>
>>344706732
>ends up being real.

what do you mean real? the date was confirmed at e3, 25th of october
>>
>>344705529
Mincecraft is also an "Infinite" world but it's boring as fuck since theres nothing to do

Same shit is going to happen with this

Stop over-hyping this you fucking idiots
>>
>>344706728

have fun crafting only 1 seater tie fighters, the possibilities are endless, but they are still small 1 seater tie fighter style craft
>>
>>344706920
this. i have no idea why people think procedural generation is good.
>>
>>344707081
It's the new meme replacing the fmv.
>>
>>344706920
I literally said it might not be all that exciting you fucking retard
>>
File: 1462646467488.jpg (460 KB, 1500x2259) Image search: [Google]
1462646467488.jpg
460 KB, 1500x2259
>>344706728

Space Engine's charm is the 1:1 everything. No Man's Sky would be okay, in equivalence, if for example you could just suddenly in orbit around a gas giant and it's rings, get out of your cockpit and just float.

And if the game had PSVR, Oculus/Vive support, this action would make the game FAR more compelling. But as it is, you can't do that; you can get into a ship and get out of the ship--and only on a planet or in a space station. That greatly limits the potential for the game.

This means:

>you can't float next to your ship in orbit of a gas giant
>you can't say "fuck it," get out of your ship and free-fall into the atmosphere HELL JUMPER style all the way to the ground
>you can't equip yourself with a jetpack, to current knowledge, to do above except survive rather than pancake into the ground
>you can't have a dogfight with AI, and do a kamikaze run where you eject from your ship and the collision takes out the enemy as a last ditch effort
>and then land on the planet, gather minerals and using your hyper-advanced tools, rebuild your ship from scratch. Then use it to move forward within the game-verse

What makes a game enjoyable is giving nuance to a player to make choices at the micro and macro scales, preferably with more flexibility at the micro scale and progressively getting inflexible towards the macro scale.

The ultimate failure of No Man's Sky is that on paper, and mostly in execution, it's focused on a macro goal while eschewing potential gameplay elements that would add value to a player's continuing experience, at the micro level. It's inflexibility with this specific subject, will deprive it of a long shelf-life; driving home a point that while procedural generation is a valuable tool, it should be used within measure towards gameplay rather than be promoted as a zero-sum approach to the game itself.

There's no point in having a galaxy filled with 18 quadrillion planets, if the novelty wears off too quickly.
>>
>>344706454
game isnt even online mate, its impossible to see another playler
>>
>>344707547

The game is 100% online. Everyone starts in the same shard universe. However, it's been setup in a way such that at no point in time, can the game handle more than a few players within vicinity of each other, and should they cross paths--there's no actual way of communicating. Which would otherwise, allow players to band together into a group or eventual corporation and go about affecting change within the game verse.
>>
>>344707047
I don't wanna craft shit, I just wanna fly around and see blue grass with red skies and orange dinosaurs.

>>344707410
but why would I get out of the spaceship? everything you're describing is just about flying around, and I can already do that in the ship. I don't need to get out and float, I'll just float from inside the ship.

It's a very shallow game and many things could be done to make it more engaging, I'm just saying I'm already content with the ability to fly around and look at pretty shit.
>>
File: 3a9.png (447 KB, 720x528) Image search: [Google]
3a9.png
447 KB, 720x528
>>344708007

>why would I get out of the ship

>after explaining why in several points that would add to the personal gameplay
>>
>>344706454

Seriously? that kinda sucks
>>
>>344706732
How can you still be hyped for that pile of shit? No game stuck in dev hell that long has ever been good.
>>
>>344708334
is there even a source for that?
>>
>>344707081
Play Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>344708483
I dunno I'm taking his word for it.
>>
>>344708483
>>344708657
>>344708334
>>344706454

>The problem, and the question on many people's’ minds, is what happens when you make a change to the world. No Man’s Sky allows you to kill creatures and blast holes in the terrain, potentially digging down into the planet to make discoveries within. When you leave, all of those changes -- many assumed -- were erased, making No Man’s Sky sound a bit gimmicky and potentially meaningless. Thankfully, Murray clarified that your changes are a little more complicated than that.

>“Changes the player makes are saved locally,” Murray explained. “So if you start destructing the terrain, that’s saved on your own machine. And if you try and make -- what we would consider -- really significant [changes], some of those [changes] are stored on the server, along with the discoveries that you make. But in general, a lot of what you’re doing is considered insignificant. If you kill a creature, we scratch that, we save that that’s happened, but we don’t feel the need to like, kill that creature for everybody.”

Source: http://www.gamezone.com/originals/latest-no-man-s-sky-demo-answers-one-question-creates-ten-more-jwmx

The only way the planet would change, is if say you spent like 20 hours blowing the fuck out of it, so that the object information changes so significantly--that said change gets stored to the server. THAT way if another player WERE to visit the world you did, and the probability of that happening is 17.999 quadrillion to 1 against; then and then only would they be able to witness your devastation.

But otherwise, it's meaningless.
>>
File: no-man's-sky.jpg (583 KB, 2500x1000) Image search: [Google]
no-man's-sky.jpg
583 KB, 2500x1000
>>
>>344708569
You realize why Dwarf Fortress looks so simple, right?

Also the devs have levels of autism that regular indies or even AAAs could ever hope to achieve.
>>
>>344710160

Grossly oversimplified, but conceptually accurate. The stickler is going to be when you have massive towering creatures in environments, that don't make any sense.

>be on a planet
>local temperature is 167 degrees Celsius
>need an advanced cooling suit to not burn alive
>massive, towering, yeti-like creature covered in fur

Yeah okay.
>>
>>344705529
>Comfy
Get out.
>>
the game is looking pretty good and seems interesting but the combat is shit
>>
>>344709997
so, the changes you make aren't just tossed when you leave

and considering how unlikely it is to even be on the same planet someone else has been on, who else's changes are you hoping to find besides your own?
>>
>>344710363
>The stickler is going to be when you have massive towering creatures in environments, that don't make any sense.

a lot of their dev time was spent trying to work in rules to what is generated in given circumstances, in an effort to address this problem precisely
>>
>>344709997
Can I sculpt entire planets into dicks? And would that be considered a significant enough change to be saved on the server? This is important.
>>
>>344710452
No, you get out. Being comfy is a /v/irgin tradition.
>>
>>344711301
No, nothing you do is saved at all.
>>
>>344708445
I didn't say I was hyped, the game is just comfy.

Also Kirby went through development hell and outlived it.
>>
>>344711718
holy shit dude, the source is in this thread proving you wrong.

its even in this quote chain for fucks sake
>>
>>344711886
No
>>
>>344711301
>>344711301

Technically, yes; but the probability of someone paying attention to your penis is the same probability as someone in real life paying attention it; next to impossible--but at least it will exist, physically and virtually. Take solace with that.
>>
How does Empyrion compare to this game? Is it any fun?
>>
File: 1468028588976.gif (2 MB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
1468028588976.gif
2 MB, 400x297
I'm really excited for it

I just hope the flying feels good
>>
>>344706454
> anything major you do to a planet's environment is reset the instant you leave it's atmosphere

This would be a huge oversight for such an ambitious team. That's probably going to be the first thing I test out when I get the game
>>
>>344708229
you do realize both /v/ and reddit are canvassed daily by the same shill hiring company the corporations hire for that exact purpose?
>>
File: 346234645.jpg (25 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
346234645.jpg
25 KB, 306x306
>>344711126
>a lot of their dev time was spent trying to work in rules to what is generated in given circumstances, in an effort to address this problem precisely

he can't tell when hes being bullshitted
>>
File: ats.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ats.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
>>344705529
sorry son, the comfiest game this year came out back in february
>>
>>34470664
You aren't meant to stay there for very long this is not a base building game get it through your autistic skull
>>
File: Sad Lardass.jpg (101 KB, 747x607) Image search: [Google]
Sad Lardass.jpg
101 KB, 747x607
>>344705529

I was pretty hyped for this thinking it'd let me become Space Dandy, but the more info I read about it the more it seems like it'll just be spore 2.0.
>>
Are the ship designs inspired by like 1960/70 sci fi or something?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.