[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Played TF2 nearly every day from 2007-2012 >Got bored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
124 KB, 1280x720
>Played TF2 nearly every day from 2007-2012
>Got bored of Overwatch after a month

Why did TF2 have such longevity that Overwatch lacks?
>>
>>344668021

player run servers generate communities of regulars, and mods and custom maps can give some much needed variety. overwatch lacks these, if you want to have regular people to play with you either have to look outside the game itself or somehow become fast enough friends with people in a single game.
>>
Depth and variety.
>>
>>344668021
i used to play TF2 everyday and just bought overwatch yesterday after years of not playing TF2 cause it went to shit

overwatch is what tf2 was years ago but blizzard will fuck it up somehow

sure they can rip off a game really well but when it comes time for something original they will shit the bucket
>>
TF2 had servers with regular players which created a sense of community. In overwatch you are playing with 5 random people against 6 random people.

There isn't much interaction because the quick play mode is also the standard competitive mode and the matches are short. I remember back in 2009 people chatting on mic and making jokes while playing, because the pubs were a huge shitshow and everyone did what they wanted to do.
>>
What the fuck happened to tf2? It's basically cartoon csgo now. Was the conga the beginning of the end?
>>
>>344669018
Natasha and dead ringer spy update were the beggining of the end.
>>
>>344669018
No. Hat idling was.

Halloween events kept it alive for an extra year or two.
>>
SPY
>>
I used to think TF2 was simplistic, then I got Overwatch, which is some Fisher Price level shit. Not even talking about the single weapon + Win button crap, its the whole 'Everyone's a winner' attitude. That forced 50/50 win ratio. Lack of custom servers or atleast drop in/drop out without being penalized. And If its a competitive game, shit talking should be part of the territory, NOPE, people getting soft banned for just saying 'gg ez'. Its the overall atmosphere of Blizzard hand holding -- like let me use my own goddamn avatar or spray.

The new TF2 update couldn't have come out at a better time, I've started back up on TF2 after a 3+ year hiatus. Granted there are kinks with the new features, its loads more satisfying to play than Overwatch.
>>
>>344669943
>people getting soft banned for just saying 'gg ez'
>good game
>easy
But if it was easy it wasn't a good game.
>>
>>344669943
>people getting soft banned for just saying 'gg ez

Need source on that.
>>
>>344668953
I've noticed people in general talk on the mic a lot less nowadays. What the hell happened?
>>
>>344671769
10 years ago the average teenager shitter on your team was a loud-mouthed brat.
These days the average teenager shitter on your team is probably an ultra-omega who gets beaten up in school by sandnegroes.
>>
>>344670406
You're banned from the chat for " harassment " without knowing it for 2 days, if you do it again then it's 4 days, then 1 week etc etc

Usually people doesn't even notice since nothing in the game tell you you've been banned from the chat, you're typing in the chatbox but nobody can read you. The only way to know is by checking your mails.

safespacewatch
>>
>>344669943
I have been quite unkind to people in competitive and haven't even gotten a slap on the wrist.

I know one example doesn't establish a trend of any sort, but I haven't been hearing any instances of people getting softbans for bantz.
>>
For the same reason why TFC players got bored with TF2, it was inferior to its predecessor.
>>
>>344672745
That's why tfc still has such a strong community right?
>>
Not even shitposting, but the answer is depth. Whilst Overwatch and TF2 both have classes with unique abilities and skills and such, the way they implemented these are much different. In TF2 there is much less handholding and as a result the actual mechanics are more flexible and complex. Rocket jumps are affected by a whole load of factors that Soldiers can exploit whilst the knock back also allows for juggles and traps. The demos stickies allow for complicated jumps but also interesting choices in area denial and when best to detonate. The Spy has a whole stealth and psychology aspect that Overwatch is totally lacking. Even a simple class like the Scout has more rewarding and deeper movement mechanics than his Overwatch counter part.
>>
>>344671769
>>344672226

More like 10 years ago the average age group was late teens to 30 somethings. Younger kids were usually either badmouthed/laughed off the server for being whiny, high voiced little shits or just outright kicked/banned because of community run servers having admins/etc.

Now the average age group is young teens, and quick play non-hosted servers don't usually give you the option to kick a player without a majority of the team agreeing, which doesn't happen because either the kids are the majority, or there are enough people in there who just turn off all comms so they don't care either way and don't want to lose a player on their team.
>>
>>344673716
Community size is irrelevant to the OP's question.
>>
File: fuckin kids today.jpg (487 KB, 1280x1552) Image search: [Google]
fuckin kids today.jpg
487 KB, 1280x1552
Gonna point out the obvious and say that Overwatch hasn't been out remotely as long as TF2. So arguing longevity is kind of stupid at this point.

However I think there are a few factors that will affect Overwatch's longevity. Overwatch started out with the cosmetic customizations/loot crates which to me makes it more disposable. In TF2 the hats and whatnot were the icing on the already good cake. while in Overwatch they were there from the start.

Most of the overwhelming popularity of Overwatch I think has to do with the tumblrinas latching onto the "rainbow" of characters overwatch has to offer. even as a passive observer I cannot tell of how many different ways they've paired those characters with each other, both platonic and romantic.

I've only dipped my toe into both games (probably a few extra into TF2) but I think Overwatch'll last longer publicly because Blizzard puts more money into advertising but as old as TF2 is I'd say it's still got a lot of staying power. I know I still watch every TF2 video that comes out and read every comic they add.
>>
File: 1468201585333.gif (1017 KB, 272x222) Image search: [Google]
1468201585333.gif
1017 KB, 272x222
>>344673716
Last I checked there were two full servers, and then some other small ones had 4-8 players.
Not a big community, but shows people still play it.
And this was on Sunday, at noon.
>>
>friendlies start getting mad for being killed
>they kick one guy who kept killing them alonside me
>"now its your turn"
>I call the vote on him first
>he gets kicked

I laughed for more than 5 minutes straight
>>
>>344668021
Overwatch does not and will not have community servers. Hats and trading aside, community servers are what allowed TF2 to thrive and for some reason this fact has flown over the heads of every dev that has ever tried to make a multiplayer game past 2010.
>>
>>344668021
TF2 is a game you go to meet your friends

Overwatch is a game you play with your friends

Everything is in the server design
>>
>>344668021
It doesn't. You're brainwashed into thinking anything else similar to TF2 is inferior and, therefore, boring, though. Damn things are essentially the same, one just has a much longer life and with it, finer-tuning from experience.
>>
As someone that totally left TF2 after years of playing for Overwatch, TF2 has a huge amount of charm. I think the cosmetics and stupid shit in it these days have taken a lot of it away, but its still a fun game.

If Overwatch had community servers (and thus better tick rates) it would be the better game. That being said, stomping a game as a solo player in Overwatch is much more difficult than in TF2. However, it certainly doesn't look as impressive.

>>344671769
The only times I've ever had mics enabled were on community servers in CS. I don't want or need to listen to random faggots and children. I also don't need to hear some raging faggot trying to act like he knows what he is talking about.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.