[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I started ME1 for the first time after playing 2 and 3 roughly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 3025183-5631586302-20840[1].jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3025183-5631586302-20840[1].jpg
573 KB, 1920x1080
I started ME1 for the first time after playing 2 and 3 roughly around when they came out.
I hear everywhere that 1 is the best out of the trilogy, but so far it's shit from a gameplay standpoint. It feels buggy and clunky and unfinished.
Post some arguments as to why is the first ME better than the rest.
>>
>>344614772
bump
>>
>>344614772
It was an alright game for it's time.
Now, not so much.
>>
>>344614772
Yeah 2 was better in every way. The game was just not what it could be. Story is worth the play though.
>>
>>344614772
Gameplay is much more of an RPG compared to 2 and 3's action. But yeah, it was rather lackluster in a lot of ways.

ME1's real strengths were story and atmosphere, something the sequels completely dropped. ME1 is the beginning of an epic (in the literal sense of the word) saga, while 2 and 3 almost come from a completely different universe. All of the themes of the first game are just flat-out dropped, and each sequel's tone moves further and further away from the original.
>>
>It feels buggy and clunky and unfinished.

Welcome to Mass Effect, fucker.
>>
>>344614772
ME1 is the least clunky from a gameplay standpoint. Your squad is extremely responsive to move/attack commands and can actually do things.
>>
>>344616738
I feel like there is more details and world building, but that might be just because it's the first one and they don't really need to explain things in the sequels. That's what I like about this game more than 2 and 3. Also the Sovereign is fucking menacing, in 3 the Reapers were a joke.

>>344616890
I think so too. If they recreated the 1s story in with 2s engine/gameplay it would be awesome.
>>
>>344616985
>>344617106
Well it's obvious what changed in the story department, just look at the credits. Half of the ME1 team worked on ME2, and only half of the ME2 team worked on ME3. Not a single ME1 writer made it to ME3, and only one made it from ME1 to ME2.

You can't have a consistent story with the writers changing every single chapter.
>>
>>344617373
Why did this happen though? Did they leave bioware? I feel like 2s plot was literal filler that made no impact on the overall story and made little sense, but the side stories were the best in the trilogy. Three was a complete mess though. Shit plot shit side stories, significantly less character interactions and shit.
>>
File: Reaper rationale.jpg (126 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Reaper rationale.jpg
126 KB, 400x400
Don't view this image if you don't want the unknowable reapers spoiled, OP.
>>
>>344614772
The atmosphere my broderick. Didn't you feel the whole 70's sci fi in turtleneck vibe?
>>
>>344614772
look, if we could somehow combine the physical gunplay and biotic usage in 3, mix it with the attempt at tactical combat that they tried with 1, with the atmosphere, storytelling style of 1, RPG-stat elements of 1, we would have a good game.

Mass effect is a series about the individual games getting certain things done right, failing at others, then proceeding to mess up the stuff you got right in the previous installment while fixing the things you got wrong in the next one.
>>
>>344614772
It's not an action game, it's a role-playing game.
When Mass Effect was made, they gave every indication that they planned to make your choices actually have weight, but 2 and 3 made it an action game instead.
I've played through ME1 a large number of times, ME2 less, and ME3 once.
>>
>>344618269
How are those mutually exclusive? The game can have a good action while still making your choices matter.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.