[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help a Civ 3 newbie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Civilization_III_Coverart.png (145 KB, 256x308) Image search: [Google]
Civilization_III_Coverart.png
145 KB, 256x308
I have just played Civilization 3 for the first time and holy fuck it's great.
I spent two of my first games losing to grasp some basic mechanic.
Anyway, I still don't know what is the best strategies in this game, so please help me.

What is the best way to upgrade science/tech?
Do I have to trade with other countries to get better techs faster? Because every time I do, they only want to trade if I offer my tech + a lum sum of gold. I feel like the AIs are trading behind my back all the times to get their science up-to-date. Fuck.

How do you manage your towns when you have more than 6-7 of them?
My head felt like it was going to explode when the number reached ten. There are too many workers I need to keep up, too many armies to keep up. Too many building to keep up.
I know you can have your local governor manage the town for you, but the last time I did, the town was so behind other towns.

Thanks in advance.
Also, Civ thread I guess.
>>
Play Civ 4 instead, it's the best game in the series.
>>
>>344603084
I havent actually played Civ 3 in ten years so I cant help you. Bump for best Original sound track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyqTPqVRoBk
>>
>>344603457
I only have the complete version of Civ 3 on steam so I decided to play it first.
>>
>Civ 3 is 15 years old
Fuck.
Anyway, I don't think there is anyone who still plays this game nowadays.
>>
>>344603457
>no way to get a resource if it isnt in your borders in Civ4
triggered me hard
>>
>>344603650
Best era.
>>
>>344603926
>I don't think there is anyone who still plays this game nowadays.

No reason to, since it's the worst Civ game.
>>
>>344603084
techs aren't worth it if you don't immediately need it for something. go to the economy screen thing and check the gold that's going to science. that plus the turns it will take tells you the cost of the tech. you'll find higher level techs cost exponentially more than the previous, so putting science to 30% and never trading any only leaves you like two techs behind if you keep getting more population, making roads and shit.

also AIs will just cheat at difficulties above like second or third one. they don't get cleverer.

a good strategy is to found your cities next to rivers so you don't need aqueducts, and also river tiles are +1 gold. most starts let you do that. other than that, the best thing is the grassland tiles with the little pebbles on them which give you a shield. just slap a mine and they're 2/2 which is the best thing you can conveniently get on despotism. when you don't have those, look to irrigate the brown tiles. you need water to make an irrigation but once you have one you can spread it.

corruption will fuck you once you get off the ground. the things that affect it are government (one of main reasons for getting off despotism) and being connected by road/harbor to your palace. you can get a sort of "power start" by planting every city really close to where you started.

manage happiness at start by making warriors. "military police limit" in a goverment type refers to the number of units per city that can make a citizen chill just by sitting on them.
>>
>>344604324
Why though?
It's fun.
>>
>>344604391
The others are more fun.
>>
>>344604378
also you'll want to be aware of the despotism resource collection effect thing. on tiles that produce more than 2 of a thing it's reduced by one.
meaning:
2=2
3=2
4=3
etc. basically you need to change government to make use of irrigated grassland or mined hills.

>>344604324
I don't know how people have this opinion when 4 and 5 are as terrible as they are.
>>
>>344604056
Trade?
>>
>>344604378
Thanks a lot mate. I always try to find tiles with rivers or pebbles to settle.

You can reduce corruption by constructing roads between cities? Didn't know that.

Anyway, at the start of the game, should I prioritize expanding my country by settling more towns or just invest the most into a few towns?
>>
>>344604616
>I don't know how people have this opinion when 4 and 5 are as terrible as they are.

It's takes all sorts I guess.
>>
>>344604616
>2=2
>3=2
>4=3
So this is the reason, fuck I thought I was calculating something wrong.
>>
>>344604324
civ 3 is easiy the 2nd best after 4. 5 takes 3rd place. im hoping 6 will be up in the charts, it looks like its already got what civ 5 has and more so its practically in 3rd place before it even comes out.
>>344604620
in civ 3 you could make colonies with workers, like micro cities, ontop of a resource outside of your borders, and if you had a linked road, it would connect to your empire. was a real nice mechanic and it sucks that they didnt bring it to any other civ afterward.
>>
>>344604840
>civ 3 is easiy the 2nd best after 4. 5 takes 3rd place
>Civ 2 so low

What am I reading?
>>
Do Civ 4 and 5 have better AI than 3?
>>
>>344604698
>Anyway, at the start of the game, should I prioritize expanding my country by settling more towns or just invest the most into a few towns?
consider that you'll be making settlers and workers from the first few rather than making them into 6+ immediately. put your first settlers in places where you have 1-3 good tiles for effectiveness, and improve those tiles with your workers asap. even when you keep expanding the first few tiles of a town tend to be the most important part.
>>
File: amusement.jpg (46 KB, 440x388) Image search: [Google]
amusement.jpg
46 KB, 440x388
>>344605167
>civ5 AI
LOL 1UPT ROFLMAO KEK
>>
>>344605641
Kill yourself.
>>
>>344605514
Thanks. I will start a new game now and try those.
How bad do the AIs cheat in Sid's difficulty anyway?
>>
I like Civ 3 more than 4 and 5.
Maybe I'm a fucking oddball because I like Heroes 4 more than 3 and 5.
>>
>>344603084

I've played more Civ III than any other game. I've moved on to the newer ones, but it's still a solid game.

Build science/tech: explore early to get as many advancements from barbarian camps as possible. Build cultural buildings as early as you can. Monitor the science bar every turn and have it at the highest point where you still make money. Research Republic/Democracy and switch to them ASAP.

Trading with other Civs for tech fucking sucks most of the time. A good strategy is to explore explore explore and trade your maps for tech when lagging behind. The AI overvalues maps so it'll help you a lot. Also, depending on the map type, it's imperative you discover any new continents first; you'll get lots of maps and have tons of trading leverage. AI cheats, so deal with every Civ you can in a single turn while trading tech because they WILL give it to each other the next turn. They always leave one regard behind but your closest rivals are in cahoots if not at war with each other.

Dealing with City Population: let the governors handle it for you, you can right click a city and select "Contact Governor" to fiddle with it. I just set it to prioritize production and let it roll. You really only need to micromanage your biggest production cities unless you're doing something special. If you're going for a sprawling empire, 9/10 cities are just going to be useful for building culture and boundaries. Where you place your Forbidden Palace is VERY important. Keep it as far away from your capital as possible to maximize its anti-corruption effects. If I'm crunched for time, I'll build it close to the capital and rebuild a palace elsewhere later in the game.

You'll have to micromanage workers early on to get the most out of your governed cities. If you can afford a war, capture as many workers and raze as many cities (to get workers) as you can early on. Have as many workers as you can until your bank account starts to hurt.
>>
>>344606021
>How bad do the AIs cheat in Sid's difficulty anyway?
very
>>
>>344603084
>I have just played Civilization 3 for the first time and holy fuck it's great.
Why would you lie?
>>
>>344606390
I feel like it's the "First game equals best game in the series" case here, anon.
>>
>>344606170
Nice tips anon.
> If you can afford a war, capture as many workers and raze as many cities (to get workers) as you can early on.
So you can do this too. I always have better armies than most countries but I only use them for exploration.
Also, is the auto exploration function of a unit good enough? Expanding your map by controlling 8 units at the same times is tiring.
>>
>>344603084
Hey! That's my favorite

There's a cheat you can do, I don't know if it will work in the steam version (I still use my disc) but if you go to war with a country, and knock them down to 1 or 2 cities, you can make them sign a peace treaty + 9999999 gold per turn, for 20 turns. They won't do 1000000 (for some reason) but they'll accept anything with 9's.

You can use excess gold to speed up construction in Republic, Democracy, or monarchy, and get a leg up early on.
>>
>>344606665
I do it manually on land because the automated units don't seem to take advantage of hills and mountains to extend their view. If
>>
>>344607039
That's nice to know. They probably fixed it in the steam version but I will try.
>>
File: adrian brody.jpg (27 KB, 419x482) Image search: [Google]
adrian brody.jpg
27 KB, 419x482
>>344607284
No prob. Also you should know that Location of battles is a bit more important than the actual units themselves.
>MFW a single longbowman on a fort on a hill beat 6 Panzers in a row

And that was the first time I launched a nuke in game.
>>
>>344608089
one time I made forts with moats on every tile in a choke point and warred everyone in the game just to see if I could.
>>
>>344603457
False civ 3 is slightly superior.
>>
>uppity rival
>1v1 war would be too costly
>sign mutual defense pacts with every other nation
>send lone scout into enemy civ lands
>REMOVE YOUR UNITS FROM OUR LANDS OR DECLARE WAR
>...
>no
>>
>>344608526
Kek. But it's the meta-ness of it that gets me, I mean
>1997
>The Longbowman looks out across the fields at dawn
>He knows he's probably the last of his kind, the world has just passed him by
>No wait, there is one left in Neo Tokyo
>Or at least there was before the Egyptians overran it
>6 mighty Indomitable Panzers stand before him, resplendent in their modern arms
>He's just in a shitty castle because someone thought it would be good idea to pick a fight with the Germans right after they built Leonardo's workshop, and then again when they discovered Replaceable parts
>He's knows he will not see tomorrows sunrise
>He could surrender
>But No
>Honor demands he fight
>Damn his Russian-Zulu blood
>The First Panzer drives forward
>He Notches his bow
>The Panzer just kind of sits there firing it's main gun in his direction
>The longbowman looses his arrows into the metal beast
>The Panzer explodes
>He can barley believe his luck
>Surely this will not happen a second time
>Surely this will not happen a third time
>A 4th?
>A 5th?
>6th?
>No fucking way
>As the sun fades in the eastern sky the Longbowman looks out across the fields and the twisted carnage his 16th century arrows have wrought
>He held his post
>He did his duty
>He pressed E
>>
>>344608089
How much advantage a unit inside a town has anyway?
They seem impossible to kill even if I have 4 times of their number.
Catapult?
>>
>>344610262
Walls ad an extra 25% I think?

That was just an EXTREMELY weird scenario for me, most of the time you can throw swordsmen or higher level units at them until they give up. But yeah, catapults and archers help.
>>
>>344610262
they regen between turns so if you don't finish them off some stupid shit tends to happen
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.