[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You DID buy both the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3DS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10
File: 003.png (73 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
003.png
73 KB, 400x240
You DID buy both the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3DS remakes didn't you /v/?
>>
>>344599587
no

i pirated it and played it days before it came out
>>
Why? They offer nothing new.
>>
>buying HD remakes

Good one, Nintendo. Almost as good as buying ROMs.
>>
No. Didn't buy the WW or TP Wii U remakes either.

Because I played 1, 2, OoT and TP when they were new, and Zelda games are boring.
>>
Of course i did ,why?
>>
>>344599587
Nope, got TP HD though for that sweet new dungeon. Game looks tight as fuck in HD.
>>
I'm playing MM right now. Trying to find those fucking fairies in the first temple.

And god DAMN. This game doesn't do so hot with 3D. My poor eyes.
>>
Fact: Zelda games like these are archaic.

They aren't deep enough to be action games, they aren't big enough to be open world adventure games, and they aren't complex enough to be RPGs.

They're a relic of a bygone era, and live solely off of nostalgia and the brand name. The franchise would be dead without the innovations brought on by Breath of the Wild.
>>
>>344599587
No, I bought Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends.
>>
>>344599587
OoT: done
MM: on my list
>>
I bought the Majora remake and pirated the ocarina
>>
>>344599587
I borrowed OoT 3DS from my friend, and played it for a couple of hours.
Not very fun, I don't get all the hubbub about it.
>>
OoT, yes. MM, didn't see a point because they changed things that didn't need changing.
>>
>>344600709
>Generic Open World games are the future

Go fuck yourself. Monolith is the only reason why BotW is even going to be close to being good.
>>
>>344600709
They're fun. Stop sucking Arin's dick.

I agree that Breath of the Wild is bringing some direly needed change, but that doesn't make these games shit in retrospect.
>>
>>344600709
They're the best of their genre, though. The only thing comparable we get lately is weak 6/10 imitations like Dark Souls.
>>
>>344601381
Don't put words in my mouth.

I am saying the model Zelda was following before was obsolete.

Think about it. What was the franchise doing that was significant or unique compared to anything else? Block puzzles?

There were better action games. There were better adventure games. There were a hell of a lot of better RPGs.
>>
>>344599587
Why would I buy 40 dollar remasters with shit lighting just due to being on a handheld that will never drop in price?
>>
>>344600709

Archaic? Sure, if that's what you want to call it. Better than what's going on today? I personally think so. I'm not of the mindset that newer = better, and many of the "innovations" of the last decade have failed to enthrall me. I'd honestly rather play a game that feels like it came out of the late 90's/early 2000's than something that's supposed to be representative of the mid 2010's in its "prime".
>>
>>344599587
I pirated both of them.
OoT was great, it improves the original in every way possible. They somehow managed to fuck up MM though.
>>
OOT is a good remake, MM is a cash grab. There's no other correct answer.
>>
>>344601141
They redid the music. The remake is worth it just for that.

Have a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeMm8Awp38
>>
>>344600709
>15 year old games lack depth that current generation games have.
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>344599587
Actually, yeah.

To be fair, my 3DS wasn't modded at the time and I wanted to finally sit through them, as infamous as they are. I've since sold OoT, but I kept MM because of how legitimately good it was. OoT was just a boring archaic slog.

>>344599993
They're not HD in any fashion.
>>
>>344601503
Fun doesn't stop it from being a shallow experience 20 years on.

Was walking into Hyrule Field amazing in 1998? Yes. But up through Skyward Sword the franchise failed to deeply expand on its features in any significant way. This becomes more of an egregious problem as time passes.

>>344601896
Becomes more of a relevant discussion when they try and sell them with a new coat of paint on a modern console.

Even then, most games in the franchise didn't stray from the base concepts that OoT set up, which itself was just a 3D exploration of the formula in A Link to the Past.
>>
>>344601842

>They redid the music

They also "redid" Zora Link, ice arrow platforms, the save system, and probably some other stuff I can't be arsed to remember. Point is, I thought the original was near perfect and a direct port with nicer visuals was all I needed.
>>
Only OoT because it came with this
As a remake it was decent, but the 3DS's garbage control stick really kept me from enjoying it
>>
>>344599587
I got OOT because I was desperate to find a reason for my 3DS's existence.
>>
>>344602114
hold on there friend. We needed more than a texture pack.

We also needed more than a fucking bottle and fishing. We needed what oot got. A master quest. Yeah, I know, OOT had one ready to go, but they could have at least done SOMETHING.
>>
Yeah, literally on the day they came out. I tried to get the CE of Majora but kykes bought them up resell. Same thing with the Majora N3DS.

I hate Nintendo nowadays but I'm a faggot for Zelda.
>>
>>344602171
are you sure you exist?
>>
>>344602171

Back when it was new, everyone was. It wouldn't be for another 5 months or so after it came out that the 3DS would have anything worth a damn besides fighting ports and N64 remakes.

>implying I will ever forget 3DS's 2011
>>
>>344602238

Okay, I'll concede that much. Problem is, they'd have to make one and to date OoT is the only Zelda with a Master Quest. I don't disagree but I saw little point in holding my breath on that one. Would've blown me the fuck away if it happened, though.
>>
>>344602327
Is that you, John Wayne?
>>
File: 1445856868539.png (300 KB, 666x532) Image search: [Google]
1445856868539.png
300 KB, 666x532
>>344599587
Nah, I don't own a 3ds. I got both games on the N64.
>>
>>344602346
Still got nothing to play on it but mainly because I don't like anime or kiddie games. I have no idea why I bought this thing.
>>
>>344602081
>Becomes more of a relevant discussion when they try and sell them with a new coat of paint on a modern console.
No it doesn't. They just made an old game not look like shit. You might like the game, despite it's archaic design choices. You might not. It's really no big deal.
>>
>>344601630
>Think about it. What was the franchise doing that was significant or unique compared to anything else? Block puzzles?
Yes actually. Puzzle focused dungeons were Zelda's forte.
>>
No, I finished those games over a decade ago like everyone else.
>>
>>344602114
>They also "redid" Zora Link, ice arrow platforms, the save system, and probably some other stuff I can't be arsed to remember.
All of which are improved, yes. You forgot the bosses, too, which were the weakest point of the original.
>>
I bought OoT3D used after pirating it and replaying OoT for the first time in years.

Didn't buy MM3D because I don't care.
>>
>>344602564

I don't know either considering Nintendo handhelds excel in the very things you just listed.
>>
>>344599993
>>buying HD remakes

Not even that much.
>>
>>344602596
It becomes a very subjective discussion where whether or not you should judge a game based off the merits of when it was released, or compare it to contemporary games of today.

The argument for the latter becomes slightly stronger when you try to pretty up the old game, and sell it was new.

>>344602623
Frankly, I don't think we live in a world anymore where a franchise as big as Zelda can sustain itself off having its appeal being about to push blocks around.

That sounds more like something I'd be 15 bucks for on Steam.
>>
>>344602729

To each their own. I hold the original in high enough reverence to be offput by that kind of thing. Also,

>original Goht
>not one of the best 3D Zelda bosses
>>
File: 1468203013288.gif (461 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1468203013288.gif
461 KB, 640x480
>People complaining that nothing changed

>People complaining that it changed too much

Why is /v/ never content with anything?
>>
>>344603010
/v/ is not one person.
>>
>>344602596
>it's archaic design choices
What archaic design choices do you think there are? I don't think OoT feels archaic at all.
>>
>>344603010
>One quality of life change that makes sense (save anywhere, some will bitch, but it's mobile)
>everything else either aesthetic or worsens experience

Thanks nintendo.
>>
>>344602934
You judge the original game based on it's release. You judge the remake based on it's release.
>>
>>344603010

Different people with different opinions. Aonuma took some risks with approaching MM3D. Some people embraced it, others condemned it. Funny how that kind of thing works.
>>
>>344603124
Things like the way it handles cameras. It's jumping detection is a tad spotty. You can't light your arrows with nearby fire, you must have fire arrows. No dynamic physics. Stuff like that.
>>
>>344602081
Ok, I can mostly agree here. I have zero desire to see another OoT reskin. And yes, I'd say the design is a bit archaic.

However, I don't think these games are without merit. I'm playing MM right now and am having a good time. Dismissing that as being a result of nostalgia is a shallow and inaccurate appraisal.
>>
>>344603124
What OoT itself did was not the problem. For its time, it provided a solid overview of what a 3D action-adventure came could be.

Its heel is in how the franchise past it lived in its shadow.

Its combat didn't become particularly deeper. Its exploration didn't. Its RPG elements have pretty much always been as light as humanly possible.

And what's worse is most stuck to a formula that was established in 1991. Ironically, only Majora's Mask really tried to escape from things. Probably becomes OoT's renown wasn't so set in stone by the time it started development.
>>
>>344603805

I disagree with the notion that MM was the only risk taking game we've seen since OoT. I would actually say that SS and ALBW have adapted ideas and design philosophies that have laid a bit of groundwork for BotW to do its thing. The game seems to draw some of SS's better ideas and expand upon them but it was the backlash to that game's relative linearity (and the games had indeed been getting steadily more linear post-Oracles) and the subsequent acclaim that ALBW's reversal into freer progression offered that I feel sparked the direction of things that we're seeing now. Games don't evoke feelings so strong that the producer up and takes notice of things without said games being a little risky, and both games definitely took some chances with the core ALttP design blueprint.
>>
>>344599587
Yes and I love them.
>>
>>344604291
>I would actually say that SS and ALBW have adapted ideas and design philosophies that have laid a bit of groundwork for BotW to do its thing.

I'm pretty sure SS was supposed to be the original BotW, I remember Nintendo saying to expect a different experience from the rest of the series. I guess Aonuma couldn't make his game due to the Wii limitations and decided to work on the Wii U instead.
>>
>>344605047

Actually, it wasn't until he heard criticisms of SS's direction that he considered opening up the design at all. He actively went into SS with the notion that getting lost wasn't fun, but then found differently while working on BotW. ALBW adopting a more open-ended progression to critical acclaim probably didn't hurt either.
>>
>>344603357
The biggest changes were the boss fights. Twinmold was objectively terrible.
>>
>>344602956
Goht was the exception. He was fucking hysterical.

The fish, Oodwalla, Majora and especially fucking Twinmold are all some of the worst Zelda bosses full stop though.
>>
>>344600709
Anon, games are more than the sum of their parts. Zelda is a mash up of all kinds of elements that work together to make it much more entertaining than if each element was it's own game.

Imagine applying your logic to a film:
>It doesn't look at good as a work by the old masters!
>The music isn't as good as an album by a good band.
>The story and characterisation isn't as deep as a nice long novel
>The special effects aren't as good as a special effects showreel
>The action isn't as good as just watching a martial arts tournament!
>Therefore, the Godfather sucks!
>>
File: 1455436787756.jpg (113 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
1455436787756.jpg
113 KB, 960x600
I sure did
I don't even like OoT
No new content but the upscaling and playable framerates were nice
8.8/10 would meh again
>>
>>344603124
The camera is an obvious one. They did a decent (fucking amazing for the time) job with the scripted camera and z-targeting, but there are plenty of times in OoT or MM that inability to control the camera makes something that should be easy end up difficult.

This wasn't really a design choice though, it was a controller limitation.
>>
>>344601842
nigger it sounds the exact same

which isn't a bad thing. this theme is goo
>>
Majoras Mask is shit but i like oot3d
>>
>>344607183
I found Odolwa and and Majora's second form to be hysterical. Goht was plain exciting. If you don't think rolling around as a spiked rock wheel, dodging bombs and lightning, while chasing down a giant rampaging goat is the tightest shit ever, then you can fuck right off.

Odolwa and Twinmold certainly aren't the worst the series has to offer. Good concepts with iffy execution. Odolwa is one of the only bosses in the entire series that feels like a real fight, and not a "find the pattern and follow the sequence" structure.

Majora's second form is one of the best bosses in the game. Just for how terrifying it is. You never expect that coming, and it's unnerving and overwhelming the first time.

Gyorg, the fish, however is totally broken. A completely shitty boss.
>>
>>344608014
Problem is, a good film still does some things well. Zeldas don't really. They're just comfort food games, like meatloaf or some shit.
>>
>>344602129
i feel you on the control stick thing. just picked up a n3ds and the stick is much better, my left hand is no longer in agony after 5 minutes
>>
>>344603805
I disagree.

People who make sweeping statements about the Zelda series tend to forget how few games there have been. There are five 3D Zelda games. Of these, only Twilight Princess feels like an attempt to replicate OoT. Wind Waker has the same big bad and some callbacks, but it's also different from OoT is too many ways to list. Skyward Sword is totally different.
>>
File: 21355252153.jpg (9 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
21355252153.jpg
9 KB, 320x320
>>344602729
Oh man those broken ice arrow mechanics from 4 allowing to make ice platforms wherever I wanted. How could I possibly figure out basic logic of spacing out platforms in order to reach that miniboss door?
>>
Why do people always ignore the best thing to come out of OoT3D, letting you rematch bosses? You could always do that in MM, but I don't know why they didn't do the same in WWHD and TPHD
>>
>>344599587
i bought the majora's mask one during the E3 sale. i havent played it since N64 times and I'm loving the updated graphics and handy extra features that make the game much better then the original. only complaint I have is I wish you could map items to the D-pad. its not like the D-pad is being used for anything.
>>
>>344599587
I've never played Master Quest and as I understand it OoT3DS has a version of that which also mirrors shit and increases damage. So I'm looking into trying that remake out.

I have no interest in the MM remake though, even with that being my favorite Zelda.
>>
>>344608847
Goth has got some big problems. His attacks are dedicated to stopping your rolling, so if you do get hit you stop, wait for the stun animation to complete, wait for the roll to charge up again then wait to catch up again. Goth feels great when you fight him perfectly, but he's just annoying when you have any problems. He doesn't kill you, just wastes your time.

Odolwa is the exact opposite. He's great when you're taking damage, having to dodge attacks and find ways around insects or fire. He sucks when you stick to his ankles and punch him to death in 30 seconds.
>>
File: Bombchu's lady's offer.png (290 KB, 745x742) Image search: [Google]
Bombchu's lady's offer.png
290 KB, 745x742
And what if I did?

They're solid ports.
>>
>>344610383
If you don't want your rock to stop, then don't get hit. The fact that your rolls stops is what gives you the feeling that you're lagging behind. You get desperate to try and catch up.

It's a good thing that it takes a lot for that boss to kill you. Because the difficulty shouldn't be arbitrary deaths that set you back to arbitrary checkpoints. The difficulty with Goht is in the demand for the player to execute the roll action with real skill.
>>
>>344599587
I have OoT. Not MM. I'm too lazy and played MM many times as it is.
>>
>>344599587
been on the look out for a cheap copy of MM 3DS, hasn't hit a price I wanna pay yet. got OoT tho. no TP HD tho fuck that
>>
>>344603093
yeah it's 3
>>
File: 1434726494714.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
1434726494714.png
306 KB, 593x540
>3D Zelda games
>>
>>344599587
Nah. I hacked my n3ds and am never buying a single game from you fucks again because the price never degrades over time used or new.
>>
File: 1462921973602.png (151 KB, 872x685) Image search: [Google]
1462921973602.png
151 KB, 872x685
>>344612127
>2D Zeldas other than ALTTP
>>
>>344610729
Your rolling doesn't just stop, you're forced to go through a lengthy recovery and acceleration process. The Goron rolling takes quite a bit of time to get up to speed, particularly if you have to be turning too much or if you lose your speed on the jumps or snow.

The fight would be fine if it wasn't quite so slow to get back up to speed.
>>
>>344612608
Yes, well, again, if you don't like dealing with recovering your speed, then don't get hit. If you bounced back too quickly, then the setbacks don't feel like setbacks. You should be expected to work at winning.
>>
File: 1421719187101.jpg (18 KB, 316x470) Image search: [Google]
1421719187101.jpg
18 KB, 316x470
>>344610729
>>344610383
>>344608847
Can you guys stop pretending the MM bosses were hard? I could beat them using only my left foot and my ballsack
>>
>>344599587
Yes I did. Those are probably my two most favorite games so of course I played the remakes. Ocarina of Time was great. They botched Majora though with a bunch of unnecessary changes that made it worse.
>>
>>344613028
>They botched Majora though with a bunch of unnecessary changes that made it worse.

Glad I'm not the only nostalgiafag who thinks this
>>
>>344613028
I don't know why the little things like moving the Invisible Soldier annoy me so much but it does.

It's not like any of the minor things make the game any easier either but I feel like I'm getting less of a game than the original for some reason despite the fishin' holes.
>>
Yep.
I got a copy of the original print OoT3D before it became scalped.
>>
>>344612845
I seriously hope you don't think that our discussion was dependent upon the notion that MM bosses were difficult.

(Even though it was difficult for me back in the day)
>>
>>344610729
I did say in my first post that Goht playsnfine when everything goes perfectly. Sure, if you avoid everything it's a nice short chase scene, significantly more fun than the goron races or the other boss fights. When you can't avoid everything, like the first time you fight it, it's just tedious.

The setbacks don' feel like setbacks. Goht isn't trying to attack you or achieve something that you need to stop, it's running in a big circle. Getting stopped for a bit doesn't build tension because nothing happens if Goht gets away. Getting stopped just delays you from dealing damage for a while longer.
>>
>>344613774

>Scalpers

Fuck those jew bastards
>>
I think the more important question is how does one play the new Zelda without a WiiU or NX?
>>
For crying out loud. All the controls in MM3D were only improved. They only added new features, like the fact that Link can swing right-ward now like OoT3D or Zora Link can swim in every direction and stay in place.

THE GORON CONTROLS JUST MADE IT SO YOU HAVE TO PRESS THE BUTTON ONCE INSTEAD OF HOLDING IT, SO YOU COULD DO OTHER THINGS WITH YOUR THUMB.

REEEEEEEEEE-

Why must you babbies always pervert the truth?
>>
I have had both on n64 since their initial launch. Really very little reason to own them.
>>
>>344617558
>Zora Link can swim in every direction and stay in place.
That might be good. I remember the swimming controls being awkward in MM
>>
>>344599587
>remake

there's that word again, i don't think you know what it means.
>>
>>344619873
Port implies they kept it mostly the same.

Which they sure as fuck didn't.
>>
>>344620267

They're remasters, which is what you call a game/movie that gets some visual updates.

Remake has to either be the same game in a whole new format with the same story elements or just remade with new graphics.

And just for the sake of it, Reboot is something that takes the core elements of a game but has its own distinct differences, like the latest Ratchet & Clank being a reimagining of the original game rather than a full on remake.
>>
>>344600709
They're pure adventure games, size has nothing to do with it. Majora's Mask was small but still had tons of content to explore.

The thing is that Nintendo focuses on block puzzles instead of focusing on the world, the side quests, the NPC etc etc. Severe changes have to be made in order to fix Zelda and BotW is a step in the right direction.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.