[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hero shooters have killed any chance of an arena shooter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: Quake-Logo.jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Quake-Logo.jpg
120 KB, 600x600
>hero shooters have killed any chance of an arena shooter revival

How much longer must we suffer?

Overmatched just frustrates more than it entertains me.

CSGO Is fine but not what I want. Why the Fuck does nobody want to play fucking arena shooters they are fun
>>
Arena shooters are hard, and making things difficult these days is like nailing your own coffin.
>>
>progression
>"""mains"""
>unlocks
>contributions outside of just kills (everyones a winner!)
>loadouts
>passive abilities and perks

people refuse to play stuff without this shit anymore. something like quake 3 can never happen again.
>>
>>344580697
Just play UT
>>
Arena shooters can't survive because of its high skill ceiling and a small veteran community that scares a lot of newbies
>Be a newbie playing duel for a few times
>Go against a experienced players because those are the only players they can play against
>Rapes you 30+-0 every match
>Newbie gets intimidated and stops playing the game for good
Most people aren't willing to put up with that shit and gradually learn to become better. It doesn't help that these games do not have a large enough community to support a proper matchmaking system.
>>
Because arena shooter is mind numbling boring.
>>
People who play Quake today have been doing so for the last 20 years, there's no room for new people.
>>344582329
(You)
>>
>>344581346

>something like quake 3 can never happen again.

See I think it can. Pretty much the exact same game with enhanced graphics, but with match making and stat tracking. Sure it would be niche, but it would be big enough due to lack of competition to warrant making.
>>
>>344582184
>What is tdm
>>
>muh arena shooters

grow up, grampa. The only reason why they were popular back then was because there was nothing else better at the time. There has been countless attempts in reviving the arena shooter scene but they all have failed
>>
Who gives a shit about arena shooters, it's the most insipidely uninspired and boring multiplayer setup of all time, the only thing of value is the skill of combat and that is independent of the rest
> dude just run around this arbitrary map and frag eachother for no reason but points
It was okay back in the nineties when fps games were new but by now if the justification of your entire game is "its gladiatorial combat so all rules can be arbitrary" you can fuck right off
>>
>>344582184
easily fixed with decent matchmaking
>>
Quake Champions is the old formula, plus unique abilities for each character. No weapon restrictions, pickups and H/A stacks are still going to be there. Why is that a bad thing? It's adding to the game and taking nothing away.
>>
>>344582791
>>344582676
>>
>>344582590
These days only Clan Arena and Duel see play. Clan Arena because you get assraped the least compared to more complex modes, and Duel because you only need one other person instead of a decently populated server to play it.
>>
>>344583046
Enjoy your 75 man playerbase quake 3 carbon copy
>>
>>344582486
You mean like Quake Live
>>
File: Good Game Quaker.png (241 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
Good Game Quaker.png
241 KB, 600x582
>>344583320
will do.
enjoy your casual moba shooter hero fun
>>
>>344580697
>Gaylo and UT are the only guys left
what a sad day. What happened to having all the games that focused on the SP having Arena style MPs?
>>
>>344580697
There are people playing arena shooters every day. I find no shortage of people to duel in Quake Live and Reflex, and then there are people playing clan arena and FFA as well. Yeah, the number of players at any given time is pretty small (especially in Reflex, peak average is like 30) but that is acceptable for duel. Just hop onto a server and play.
>>
>>344581346
>contributions outside of just kills (everyones a winner!)
This is acceptable only if it's in an objective based gamemode like CTF.
>>
File: Untitled.png (419 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
419 KB, 600x582
>>344583556
gg
>>
>>344583506

Quake Live was literally just quake 3 in an internet browser. You still had to pick your own servers which could have any number of skilled and unskilled people in it, because you could still join higher and lower skilled games. I'm talking about legitimate match-making where you start a game at the start and play until it's finished.
>>
>>344583506
Quake Live had worse graphics. I can't force AF and supersampling in Quake Live, at least not since the switch to Steam, they removed gibs, and the brightness and textures are overall worse; they were changed to censor out satanic symbols and whatnot.
>>
What are you complaining about? Doom just came out, best arena shooter ever made
>>
>>344580697
Does anyone play quake anymore?
>>
>>344584127
>can chose load outs at spawn
>arena FPS
>>
>>344580697
>the lack of players has killed any chance of an arena shooter revival
FTFY fampai
>>
So the thread hasn't heard of Quake Champions?
>>
>>344585016
Which is a hero shooter
>>
Ummm so maybe they aren't super popular, and thus aren't mad exports, but quake 3 still has a community, ut99, ut2004, quake live, nezuiz ( or whatever the fuck the fork is... xeno something)

Pretty sure painkiller still has active servers.

There is of course the new unreal tournament.

I'm tired of hearing people complain there are plenty of arena shooters all with decently sized communities.

These games will never get popular like overwatch which lets people who suck still have fun. They are really really hard games to play decently at.
>>
>>344585351
The cinematic trailer implied everyone has the same set of weapons, which you can pick up.

And here's a question, do you consider NTF to be not an arena shooter?
>>
>>344582791

I'm guessing your one of those guys who play single player indie garbage because you have never been good at a competitive game in your life.
You only played multiplayer games when they are team based so people who are good can carry you and give good feels
>>
they aren't little reward generating machines that continually make you want to play another game by feeding you upgrades and bonuses, so it's hard for people to get locked into a cycle of playing.
>>
>>344583815

The joke is how games now put in feel good classes that require zero skill so shitty players can feel productive.

Like overwatch support classes like mercy are completely void of any kind of skill. It's a feel good class because you help people who are actually good.
>>
>>344585773
>>344580697
>>344581346
>>344583046
>>344583556
>>344583669
>>344585948
>>344586205
>my piece piece of shit is better than yours because I tryhard instead of having fun
let's be honest here guys, all vidya games are a waste of time just the same
>>
>>344580857
Oh being difficult is fine, but you have to run it not the ground like it's a meme instead of just putting challenge in your video game to make it a fulfilling video game
>>
>>344585773
Why would you give a shit about being good at competitive games
But sure bask in the glory of railing people reel gud inside your little box map on your little 8 man server, its so much better than playing "casual" games inside a vast, gorgeous world filled with thousands of pages of text and dialogue or whatever other fabulous illusion the gaming industry put together for your enjoyment

Im sure fatality will be remembered alongside mozart and plato for his world-class skill at rocketjumps or the rubics cube or whatever other banal shit "skill" the trained monkey subhuman taught himself instead of thinking straight
>>
>>344586860

Clearly hit nerve...

So mad. Go play some 8bit shit that makes you happy and feel good
>>
File: iiidddd.jpg (69 KB, 668x300) Image search: [Google]
iiidddd.jpg
69 KB, 668x300
God, what a horrible waste of money overwatch was. I could have spent that money on a new onahole or something.
>>
>>344587248
Muh skillfags are a cancer just as poisonous as console kiddies or soccer moms
They must be destroyed wherever they open their mouths because they do not understand video games
>>
>>344582590
>>344582915
both solutions that small player bases have trouble supporting

>no one plays tdm
>tiny pool of players makes for shti matchmaking no matter how it's implemented

>>344580697
>>344582129
hop onto ut. maybe it'll get steam when it's further along development. fine now, but player base is tiny.
>>
>>344587430

Only reason I bought it is literally all my friends own and play it. So I don't really regret buying it. Could use some new maps pretty fucking soon though
>>
>>344587532

??

Are you like legit autistic?
>>
>>344587772

I'm used to carrying my team in any other fps and I can't do it in Overwatch. It's like if I win or lose depends entirely on what random team I matched up with.

Even if I play with friends they pick stupid heros like Mei and Hanzo. I just write off the match at that point.
>>
There's a simple way to revive the genre.
Make an arena shooter in Javascript and WebGL.

.io games were successful because they have some depth to their gameplay yet the time between hearing about the game and playing it is shorter than pretty much any other multiplayer game in existence.

A Javascript+WebGL game would be just as fast to start playing, although graphically it could be far more impressive.
>>
You can play quake live right now.
You can get matches instantly and continuously 24/7
What more do you want?
>>
>>344587532
>people who are good at video games should be destroyed because they dont know anything about video games
what kind of alternate universe are you living in?
>>
File: tbnewmap.jpg (674 KB, 1911x1037) Image search: [Google]
tbnewmap.jpg
674 KB, 1911x1037
>>344580697

i just started learning to make quake maps. its the only thing i can do to fill the void now.
>>
Until single player videogames, literally every game ever was competitive.
>>
>>344588697
Quake 3?
>>
>>344588883

no, starting with quake one. Mapping with this will still translate to quake 2/3 mapping skills. Quake one was my favorite of the 3.
>>
I love arena games but the elitism irritates me so much.
>>
>>344583042
>No weapon restrictions, pickups and H/A stacks are still going to be there.

Is there any basis for this? I desperately want Q:C to not suck, but I think you just pulled this out of your ass.
>>
>>344580697
>>344581346
You can thank the plebs on this board who pour money into this shit. Now be a good goy and help kill conventional gaming by downloading that new pokemanchild app!
>>
>>344589404
This.
The good thing about class-based systems is that you can be useful no matter what your qualities (or lack thereof) are.
And my favourite arena shooter's multiplayer is unplayable because the few dedicated players there pack literally a dozen times the destructive power and survivability of anyone else.
>>
>>344586205
>mercy
>void of any kind of skill

I think you mean 'most mercy players'

Enjoy getting killed by my pistol headshots, scrub.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.