[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of the gameplay in the first Metal Gear Solid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
What does /v/ think of the gameplay in the first Metal Gear Solid?
>>
>>344579758
Holds up surprisingly well considering its age. Played it for the first time a couple years ago and it's my favourite one.
>>
>>344579758

It's pretty terrible. Loose controls, poor 3D integration. Stealth is barebones and combat is clunky.
>>
>>344580434
>Stealth is barebones
What do you mean?
>>
>>344579758
Why make aim and shoot the same button [Square}] why didn't they make aim L2 and R2 shoot like MGSV???
>>
>>344580771

It's pretty poorly implemented.
It's all based on line of sight. However, the game is pretty much a PS1 tech demo so rather than having a wide FOV the camera instead zooms in awfully close. They put a band-aid on this problem by including the radar, but at the same time enemies still have a pitifully short range of vision.
Compare that to a game that came out the same year, like Thief. Enemy AI in Thief is still pretty dumb but way more advanced than that in MGS. The level design has way more nooks and crannies to explore and exploit, and the light level system offers much more tension and depth than basic line of sight stealth
>>
>>344579758
Stealth is good, fighting is fucking horrible. Seeing as how a good chunk of disc 1 and all of disc 2 are full of fighting, most of the game is fucking horrible. Saved by looking nice, having a good atmosphere, and an interesting story. It's the uncharted 1 of the MGS series.
>>
>>344581670

>Saved by looking nice
lol
How do you make a story based game where the protagonist and all the characters don't even have faces?
>>
>>344581758
aesthetically, that is. For a PS1 game it's graphics aren't too bad and it has a well executed look, I guess is what I mean.
>>
It was well above average for It's time,of course older games are bound withhold more interesting mechanics,but mgs1 Is not a lesser game In any way because of that.

It had a lot of interesting mechanic to start with,but the aiming is undeniably clunky when not using fps weapons.Athleast guns had laser sight.
>>
>>344579758

It's the still the best Metal Gear game.
>>
>>344581853

The PS1 doesn't have the graphical prowess to pull off the art style it wanted. MGS2 looks so much cleaner and so much better by comparison. They should have gone for something simpler.
>>
>>344579758
Better than 5
>>
>>344582053
This is very true. MGS2 holds up incredibly well for an early game on a fairly weak console.
>>
>>344581974
>It was well above average
Compared to what? Thief and Deus Ex had better mechanics. By a pretty large margin.
>>
>>344579758
when I played it for the first time last year, I remembered why I don't play stealth games. Not to say it's bad, but I just fundamentally don't get along with that genre.
>>
>>344582080
Story wise yeah but certainly not in gameplay
>>
>>344579758
you can have a lot of fun with it but during optimized play its just a run and gun
>>
>>344582538
>run in gun
>in a game where you have to stand still to shoot
honestly if you could strafe while firing I think the gameplay would be just fine, but standing still makes taking on multiple enemies with guns(which you encounter pretty god damn often) a total shitshow
>>
>>344582695
You can shoot the silenced pistol while moving, which is the best weapon anyways
>>
>>344579758
like the rest of the game, it aged like milk
>>
>>344579758
It's one of the few stealth games I actually like, because I'm just not that into stealth gameplay.

I probably liked it because of the radar system. I hated it when they took that out in MGS3, but I learned to live with it.
>>
>>344582827
Really? I guess I must have never tried. Maybe I'll do another play through soon.
>>
>>344582865
I'd take the camera from subsistence over the radar anyday
>>
Does its job for sneaking, is decent for action. The two merge gracefully in the Vulcan Raven battle.
>>
>>344583528
which one?
>>
>>344583591
The one in the freezer room.

You know I kinda forget Raven was in that tank, I guess because his head doesn't pop out of it.
>>
>>344579758
It was better than most stealth games at the time like Thief and Deus Ex.
>>
without a doubt my favorite mgs game. i really love that it's just mg2 in 3d with voice acting and cutscenes. i think what i love most about this game is that its 3d while still being a top down game like the first two.
>>
its awesome
>>
>>344584965

LOL
>>
>>344579758
It's alright. Better than the 2nd one's.
>>
>>344582827
You can run n gun with FAMAS too. Makes the stair run part easy.
>>
>>344582937

Yeah, both the FAMAS and pistol can be used while running. The VR missions disk covers it. You have to do some gimmickry with the crouch button.
>>
>>344586396
ah, that makes a lot more sense. That fucking 2nd elevator fight was hell for me.
>>
>>344579758
Only worthwhile on psx so mantis can read your konami saves
>>
>>344585247
Ok, do you have any arguments for that or just other "witty" remarks.
>>
>>344586668
>/v/
>having arguments other than memes
>>
>>344579758
It's great. More or less the same as MG2's, but with some welcome concessions to balancing (enemies take more than one shot to kill; bodies hitting the floor make noise). The issue is that the game never really does anything with it because it frequently gets distracted by boss fights or action sequences. The second disc is a boss rush. Compared to MG2's varied scenarios or GB's and MGS2's more tight level design and increased emphasis on actual stealth MGS1 is relatively underwhelming.

MG2, GB, and MGS2 don't really have this problem. Neither does MGS3, even if I think its core gameplay is largely inferior to MGS1's.
>>
>>344586668

MGS1's stealth mechanics are even more primitive than Deus Ex's lackluster stealth. At least Deus Ex has some recognition of visibility.
>>
>>344581345
>Including the radar
MGS3 baby detected.
>>
>>344588097
I don't think you know what including means
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.