[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shitroid Feces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: Metroid_fusion.jpg (198 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_fusion.jpg
198 KB, 1024x768
>Guys i have this great idea
>Let's make a LINEAR METROID GAME
>LINEAR
>METROID
>Guys let's add a full map at the beginning of every area
>Guys let's add this annyoing AI that tells you EXACTLY where to go and shows it on the map ALWAYS

What kind of brain damage was involved here? Game is decent but should not have anything to do with Metroid whatsoever. It's like taking Baldurs Gate and making it an MMOFPS. Fucking trash make a new Super Metroid FOR FUCKS SAKE. Fucking rice kike gooks
>>
>>344572386
Super Metroid still had a linear progression you fuck.
>>
Sakamoto
>>
fun fact:

the only metroidvania that has proper sequence breaking is toki tori 2.
>>
>>344572597
Sure there was an intended order but you had no fucking idea where to go, particularly around the time you get access to maridia and the ghost ship, absolutely massive clusterfuck of areas/options/sequence breaks possible. Metroid Fusion feels like playing a bunch of short missions because of the ultra simplistic map layout. Clearly a cashgrab aimed at kids with the Metroid name slapped on for extra sales. Nintendo has been absolute garbage after the SNES, it's embarassing really.
>>
>>344573178
That's not how you spell Rabi-Ribi.
>>
>>344573315
What's your opinion on Prime.
>>
>>344573315
>Sure there was an intended order but you had no fucking idea where to go
If you're an idiot. If you're smart you remembered the last dead end and returned there with your latest item. As long as you didn't forget where you had to turn around (you know, where the map would let you know you hadn't progressed past) then there isn't any 'exploring' in Super Metroid. It's just being wrong until you aren't anymore.

Fusion and Zero have maps with waypoints on them because they're portable games. You don't play them for as long as console sessions so it's easier to forget where you were and what you were doing. And because you're playing portable games for shorter sessions, they wanted to design in less "wandering around" time.

They heard the complaints about Fusion, because Zero Mission is less constrained than Fusion. OP is crying over an issue that's already been remedied by the series and is overlooking that Fusion was designed with portability in mind. It's just a temper tantrum about something in the past.
>>
>>344573809
Prime 1 was great. Prime 2 was... decent. Prime 3 went full casual/retard.
>>
File: Too big for one panel.jpg (17 KB, 309x123) Image search: [Google]
Too big for one panel.jpg
17 KB, 309x123
>>344574049
>playing with the hint system on
>>
>>344574048
There are are shitload of dead ends you have encountered at that point and an absolute shitload of secret areas and shortcuts. Particularly the way to the grapple is interesting because if you forgot one single door (to the map which shows you the hidden way to crocomire) in an area you've already been in many times and likely forgot about because at that point you have access to like 75% of the map. Anyone who says super metroid has an obvious thread to follow is just a braindead posturing trashcan, probably underage or an autistic neckbeard.

>Fusion and Zero have maps with waypoints on them because they're portable games. You don't play them for as long as console sessions so it's easier to forget where you were and what you were doing.

Has nothing to do with that and everything to do with budget and possible sales. There are save points everywhere in super metroid and beyond.

>OP is crying over an issue that's already been remedied by the series
>remedied

The last two games were prime 3 and other m so what the fuck are you talking about.

>designed with portability in mind

You're one stupid fucker aren't you
>>
>>344574206
>the hint system
???
>>
>>344575316
>There are are shitload of dead ends you have encountered at that point and an absolute shitload of secret areas and shortcuts.
I'm not even going to bother to read the rest of your post. Go play Super Metroid again, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The sequence is incredibly straight forward. You're just shitposting. Fuck off cunt.

>>344575558
Try playing the series.
>>
>>344573178
Isn't that broken into levels with a map like SMB3?
>>
>>344572597
>SM also has linear progression
>you can actually beat the bosses in reverse order in Super Metroid

Sure thing, faggot.
>>
>>344575982
>I'm not even going to bother to read the rest of your post.

Kill yourself friendo. You shit out some empty git gud nonsense and then proceed to ignore the response.
>>
>>344576190
>git gud nonsense
No where did I do anything like that faggot.

>>344576104
You're worse than OoTfags that bring up that speedrun autism shit and abusing glitches like it's actually how normal people play the game.
>>
>>344572386
Confirmed for not having played the game beyond the first sector.

>Guys let's add this annyoing AI that tells you EXACTLY where to go and shows it on the map ALWAYS
The route isn't always clear.

The game isn't that much more linear than the beloved Super Metroid. No, sequence breaking doesn't count for a first playthrough, because someone playing the game for the first time isn't going to know how to do bomb jumps and in the case of SM, glitches. Don't you fucking tell me mockball is intended behavior.. Yes, I have done sequence breaking before. It's fun but the first playthrough is the most important and defining playthrough of a game.

>>344573178
What makes it different from Zero Mission?
>>
>>344575558
Play the games before you spout bullshit on the internet
>>
>>344576804

Normal people can wall jump. The game teaches you to fucking wall jump late in the game. It's clearly intended to be replayed and sequence broken. Not to the extent of Reverse Boss Order runs, but still significantly.
>>
Why haven't you killed yourself yet, ACfag?
>>
>>344577000

Super Metroid is made to be replayed. Metroid Fusion is not. Sequence breaking is always about replay value.
>>
>>344579174
>Super Metroid is made to be replayed
No it isn't. Games that rely on discovery have inherently less replay value because the replays lack the magic of the first playthrough. Sequence breaking adds replay value to a game that would have none otherwise.

But there's nothing wrong with games having no replay value if the first playthrough is balls to the wall awesomeness.

If you want a game with great replay value, check out Castlevania 3.
>>
>>344572386
>Let's make a LINEAR METROID GAME
They did that because it's primarily an action game with loads of bosses and combat made for handheld. Getting lost for huge extended periods of time wouldn't have been fun for the style it was going for.

Fusion always struck me as following Return of Samus' footsteps. That game was also much more linear than its predacessor with a hub setup, a bigger emphasis on gunning down enemies and some light horror elements.

And it's really good at what it does, so why get mad at what it's not? They released Prime, a slower paced Metroid game following Supers structure, at the exact same time as it so it's not like you were robbed of one experience. And Zero Mission released shortly after for folks who wanted a more Super-esque game.

The maps showed like, a fraction of the area. Usually your mission goes south and you're dropped into an unmarked region as you try to find the new way to your objective.

It's true that Adam could have been handled better though. Maybe have more of his tips optional and have him give you more than one mission at a time, rather than doing them so piece meal, so you had the choice to get deeper information from him and a little bit of non-linearity.

>Fucking trash make a new Super Metroid FOR FUCKS SAKE.
Super Metroid is already close to a perfect game with a massive hacking scene for people who want more of exactly that. We don't need Metroid to go down the New Super Mario Bros path, trying to constantly recreate the same fucking game, that's boring.

Some of the most interesting and fun things to come out of Metroid happened after Super.
>>
>>344573178

How is that game? I got it for a dollar with one of those G2A random key things.
>>
>>344579657

>Games that rely on discovery have inherently less replay value because the replays lack the magic of the first playthrough.
You're right.

>Sequence breaking adds replay value to a game that would have none otherwise.
You're right.

And Super Metroid teaches you to sequence break. The etecoons and dachora teach your to wall jump and shinespark. The game teaches you to sequence break so that you can replay it.

Super Metroid is designed to be replayed.
>>
>>344579909
wow, a whopping one sequence break instance
>>
Team ninja are shitty developers thats why. Its ironic because NGB is my favorite action game and im hyped for nioh
>>
But see, we add a super powerful enemy stalking you, and now it has light survival horror elements.
>>
>>344579909

I don't know why anyone would even argue against it, considering the biggest condition for the various endings is time.

To get better endings(assuming you aren't ice creaming it following a walkthrough to the T), you have to finish it in smaller amounts of time spent. Then later games add the requirement of item collection, so you not only have to be quicker, but have to get fucking everything while you're doing it(refine your time to get those things.)

Thinking it, or any metroid game, wasn't made to be replayed is some straight up ignorant shit.
>>
>>344582156
Team Ninja made Fusion? I thought they only made Other M.
>>
>>344582587

Metroid Fusion kind of works against itself with the forced linearity and unskippable navigation room cutscenes, but you're right.
>>
Sequence breaks are godsend.
>>
>>344582694
What the fuck I thought OPs pic was Other M
>>
>>344583002
How does this one work? Neat to know that these kinds of sequence breaks exist though.
>>
Call me a heretic but upon replaying Super, Zero Mission and Fusion, I enjoyed Fusion the most
>>
>>344583002
That looks more like a glitch than an intended sequence break. Reminds me of one of the whip ring glitches in Super Castlevania.
>>
>>344583180
I don;t blame you. Other M took the linearity problems of Fusion and made them worst
>>
>>344582694
>>344583180
Well, fusion takes place right after other m. So it's no wonder game isn't good at what it should be.
>>344583274
Trench coat can teleport you two tiles away, but if you do it vertically, your legs get in the way. Claw can make you one tile high instead of two.
>>
>>344583619
Neat, does it have any real application in routing though?
>>
>>344583902
Probably not. You can bypass address bombs to get drone teleport early. There are might or might not be any other places to utilize it outside of climbing up slightly faster.
>>
>>344583619
It's strange, the way she talked about Adam made it seem like he died further back in the past than the adventure immediately preceding the one she's on.
>>
>>344584509
Well, there wasn't any games or other things between the two, right? Riiight?
>>
>>344572386
Fusion had a good reason to be linear.

There were a lot of new people working on Fusion and it was basically their practice run for Zero Mission.
>>
>>344585561
We really need a Zero Mission 2.
I guess that would be Mission One?
>>
>>344584509
Welcome anon, to the wonderful world of retcons.

But yes, I was under the impression Adam died long before she took up bounty hunting.
>>
I liked how linear Metroid Fusion was. I have trouble keeping interest in games because I get overwhelmed with options a lot of the time and end up quitting.

I get the complaint, but it's a bit pointless to complain about a game that old, right? It's not like every game that's come out has been linear. Just go play one of the nonlinear ones if you don't like Fusion.
>>
>>344586910
Yeah. FF6 turned from amazing to eh the moment you get a new ship in the WoR and the game becomes open world.
>>
>>344587259

Wow anon, you're a faggot.
>>
>>344586082
It felt like Sakamoto couldn't decide if he wanted to do a story about a rookie Samus dealing with Adams death or Samus overcoming the death of the Baby Metroid, and ended up shoving both together.
>>
>>344587856
But he's completely right. WoR sucks balls.
>>
>>344588080

Why do you think that? I don't comprehend it. I thought it was so freeing, and it fit the narrative perfectly.
>>
>>344588640
Difficulty is completely thrown at the window, characters are incredibly boring now (which is ironic because this is the part of the game where everyone goes through character development of some sort) having no unique dialogue whatsoever, and all the characters end up playing EXACTLY the same. In World of Balance all the characters had very unique playstyles, but thanks to the god like weapons, armor, relics, and espers you find there is literally no reason to use them anymore except for maybe Sabin's blitz techniques.
>>
>>344588640
It would have been possible to construct a quest for finding the other friends that was linear, just as Edgar and Setzer were found in a linear fashion in the beginning of the WoR.

The freedom offered by the open world style meant that the potential for globe-trotting shenanigans that the rest of the game did so well was severely reduced.

Sure you were free but there was so little indication on what you could do. I doubt most players got the Odin esper for example.

Level up mechanics and open world don't mix. Getting Locke for me was initially awful because the game lead me to him after only having gotten Celes, Sabin, Edgar, Setzer, Relm, and Strago. As it turns out having only 6 characters in the high 20's makes a 2 team dungeon with high 40's monsters pretty hard. Whereas the dream sequence in Cyan's castle was easy as fuck because I was super over-leveled compared to those little incubi bastards.
>>
>>344589525
>there is literally no reason to use them anymore
Referring to the special commands of course. There are only like 5 major exceptions and that's Sabin's Blitz which are always good, Locke's steal, Strago's lore, Gau's Rage, and Gogo's Mime.
>>
Just popping in to remind everyone that AM2R will be released in just under a month, and that Hyper Metroid is the greatest Super Metroid hack ever. Go play it while waiting for AM2R.
>>
>>344572386

And yet, still better than Other M.
>>
>>344589709
Sabin's blitzes wouldn't be used if Sabin had good magic power. Celes' Runic would be useful but the game pushes magic so hard that it's hard to find yourself not just transferring mana to Celes.

In general I feel like FF6 didn't do enough with the special commands. Magic is just so, so, so much stronger than the majority of strategies. And there are some questionable decisions, such as only allowing Mog to do one dance til he dies. Oh look, I guess Mog is better as a dragoon or a mage.

And the main reason I don't use Shadow's throw is because your inventory ends up so fucking cluttered that it's impossible to find what you want to throw.

Cyan's submenu is a joke.

Relm's sketch softlocked my game and caused horrible graphical glitches to start rendering and accumulating. I'm not touching that shit again because I'm scared that I'll corrupt my save. I'd be tempted to use Relm with the fake mustache if it weren't for that.

Setzer's is too fucking scary to use because of the ANNIHILATED possibilities.

Terra's is alright hilariously busted when used properly but tying it to how many much MP you've gathered since you last used it means that it will only ever be used on bosses.
>>
>>344573178
What the fuck is "proper" sequence breaking?
There is literally no such thing. Sequence breaking at it's fucking core is not proper, because you're breaking sequence.
>>
>>344572386
The game keeps opening up as you play the game. I found it fun.
>>
>>344590950
>Sabin's blitzes wouldn't be used if Sabin had good magic power.
Bum Rush is a pretty consistent 9999 damage per turn kind of deal for the remainder of the WoR. All you have to do is level up magic. It's fucking good mate.
>>
>>344578920
>It's clearly intended to be replayed and sequence broken.
It's intended to be replayed for a faster time. Sequence breaks don't factor in to it. The only reason there are so many sequence breaks scattered around the game is because the map was put together literally at the end of development and there was no time to extensively test for that shit.
>>
>>344591135
Huh. I casted aside Sabin to be honest once the espers started rolling in.

>>344591009
Proper sequence breaking is breaking that the devs intended obviously. So basically every sequence break in Zero Mission such as early Varia Suit, early High Jump Boots, early Screw Attack, early Super Missiles.
>>
>>344591816

I honestly can't think of a single sequence break in ZM that the developers didn't intend. There's no questionable physics tricks like the mockball, just stuff like the IBJ and single wall jump that had been intentionally added in after Fusion.
>>
I really was disappointed with Fusion.
Disliked boss fights, general level design, art and that parasyte system, which I forgot the name.
>>
>>344591816
>Huh. I casted aside Sabin to be honest once the espers started rolling in.
I'm not sure why. Lemme guess you didn't know you can find Master Duncan and have Sabin master the Bum Rush, right? There's not a single part of the game where Sabin is bad.
>>
>>344592181

All of that stuff I greatly enjoyed though. I have complaints about the linearity and unskippable dialogue, but I thought the boss fights were the best in 2D Metroid by far. The level art was varied and filled with detailed, the way the environments would change with the storyline was very exciting.
>>
>>344587958
It makes you wonder why he even bothered with the latter because nobody gives a shit about that.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.