[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2: >Hey you know, I feel like doing some PvP.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15
File: 1468014667447.jpg (278 KB, 611x928) Image search: [Google]
1468014667447.jpg
278 KB, 611x928
Dark Souls 2:

>Hey you know, I feel like doing some PvP. I'll hit the arenas.
>Hey I beed a break from the arenas, I'll hit the fight club at Iron Keep bridge.
>Hey I'm bored of the fight clubs, I'll do some red invades.
>Well red invades aren't very fun, I keep invading noobs just trying to play through the PvE.
>I'll go stand in Belfy Luna and invade and get invaded and earn Ore while I'm at it.
>Time to take a break from Luna, let's go to Sol.
>Ahhh, I'm tired of this too, let's blue invade all over the world.
>This is fun, I get to PvP all over the game, and I get to punish people for invading noobs.
>look at bonfire map, see several outline indicators displaying which areas have the most players in them atm
>Go stand in those areas with delicate string and dried finger active
>Periodically get invaded in between blue invades
>Fighting all over the game, wherever I want, punishing sinners, drawing sinners to my world, whenever I get bored of one style of PvP I go back to doing arenas, fight clubs, bell tower, etc.

Dark Souls 3:
>Hey you know, I feel like doing some PvP
>wow they really limited the PvP this time around...
>I guess I'll fight club?
>well that got boring fast, I guess I'll blue invade and punish sinners?
>oh, that doesn't exist anymore, I guess I'll dried finger and wait to be invaded?
>oh, I can't because I've already cleared the game and you can't be invaded after you've cleared the area
>Well I guess I'll red invade... oh wow it's a 1v4 and each enemy rolls behind his three teammates and chugs the moment I land one blow on him episode...
>>
>>344555315
this
>>
>>344555315
>Playing Dark Souls for the PVP
This is where you fucked up
>>
>>344555756

The game is designed around multi-player interaction. If you think this is supposed to be a single player game you're exactly the type of person that ruined the series by having Miyazaki dumb it down for tards and casuals by giving them a massive Safe Space in a souls game.
>>
File: 1450027638239.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1450027638239.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>344555315
Wow, what original and intelligent criticism!

I sure hope fromsoft is listening to you, and only you, OP, and not the other 5 million people who have said the same thing!
>>
File: 1465365133649.png (154 KB, 400x291) Image search: [Google]
1465365133649.png
154 KB, 400x291
>>344555315
Yep. Nailed it right on the head there.
>>
File: sotfs gaining players.png (333 KB, 730x1039) Image search: [Google]
sotfs gaining players.png
333 KB, 730x1039
>>344556018

SoTFS gaining players, Dark Souls 3: Safe Space Edition losing players.

It really makes you think...
>>
The only thing SM did right.

Meanwhile tryhard minmaxers imposed arbitrary SL limits on DaS and DaS3 and people was dumb enough to listen to them. Good luck trying to find any interaction if you're above SL 65.
>>
>>344556454

In Souls 2 I had 5-6 characters all locked with agape ring at specific soul memory brackets. I had one unlocked character I let level until the final bracket where you can match with everyone higher than you regardless of their soul memory. I actually had the most fun on the unlocked character. Saw the greatest variety in builds as well, which isn't surprising.

I tried the same thing in Souls 3. Had 3 locked characters, one unlocked character. Could not find any matches at all on the unlocked character. Had to go back to playing my characters locked at 80, 100, and 120.
>>
>>344555960
nah more like you rely on friends
>>
>>344555315
play dark souls 2 for the pvp and bloodborne for the pve (dark souls 1 if you got no ps4)
dark souls 3 has no place
every other souls game has something it does best
>>
>>344557972
Dark Souls 3 does masturbating Dark Souls 1's lore best than the others.
>>
>>344557646

I'm the OP who prefers to play alone and go through the game with dried finger on so I can be invaded more often.

Your reading comprehension is lacking my friend.
>>
>>344556342
>bloodborne is more alive than DaS3
i get summoned for co op way faster in bloodborne than DaS3 or 2
that said i get pvp fastest in 2 because sinister bell fucking sucks
>>
>>344558241
i was surprised they didn't just plug fucking solaire in somewhere
the last boss used gwyns fucking moveset though
>DaS3 dlc
>old abysswalker
>>
>>344558734
I bet DaS3's DLC is going to be Oolacite again. Like, exactly the same map, just this time you go upwards.
>>
File: 1354244682487.png (154 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
1354244682487.png
154 KB, 290x290
>he still hasnt figured out how to properly deal with groups

casual invaders man
>>
>>344558595

I'm getting blue invades all over in DS2. I haven't red invaded yet since I've never really liked red invading. The arena is active and I get matches immediately there. Fight club bridge has tons of signs down. Bell tower is active. I'm really glad I decided to play 2 again. Dark Souls 3:Safe Space nearly killed the love I had for the series.
>>
>>344555315
>mention Bellkeepers
>don't mention Aldrich Faithful or Wolves of Farron
4/10
>>
File: 1460864026407.png (164 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
1460864026407.png
164 KB, 500x446
In this thread we list things Dark Souls 2 did that were far better than Dark Souls 3. I'll start:

>Chugging Estus immobilizes you, and the heal isn't instantaneous meaning trying to chug while someone is sticking close to you will result in death

>Stamina regeneration is tied to weight, so a character at 10% burden will recover their bar faster than a character at 70% burden, giving an advantage and a reason to make a low burden character

>Poise exists and armor provides relevant, but not overpowering damage reduction, giving an advantage and a reason to make a high burden character

>Phantoms and Dark Spirits cannot chug estus, spirits can only heal via spell useage which is slow. This makes fighting outnumbered even without mob assistance possible since any damage you do sticks.

>Can only perform four rolls before running out of stamina

>Can only perform 5 attacks of a rapier or straight sword before running out of stamina

>Parrying has longer recovery frames and consumes more stamina, making parry fishing riskier and makes parrying require higher skill

>Power stance allowing for unique combinations of dual wielding and unlocking an alternative moveset for weapons

>Being able to use the full moveset of a weapon in your off-hand including running, rolling, backstepping, etc. attacks rather than just being able to do a basic R1 swing and blocking with the weapon as it is in Ds3 (lmao who would ever want to weapon block)

>Non-linear first half of the game allows you to rush straight to the areas of the game that contain the items for your build

>Fun PvP covenants that were unique

>Bell Tower covenant providing two unique optional areas to PvP for Titanite Chunks, Slabs, and Twinkling, making farming for upgrades fun

>Bonfire ascetics to replay bosses you like and or gain items from NG+ and beyond without grinding through the whole game again

>Movesets of weapons have far greater variation, and no re-used poorly animated movesets from the first game.
>>
>>344559130

>Can no longer be invaded by Aldrich Faithful or Wolves of Farron after you clear the area.

>World Master gets no unique reward for killing Aldrich Faithul or Wolves of Farron.

>Wolves of Farron becomes inactive after hitting a certain soul level

Probably because both of those covenants suck and are terrible when compared to the awesome that was the Bell Towers?
>>
>>344559089
>being legally required to fight all red 1v4 invasions in the same cheesy way is fun
>>
Even Oroboro is getting sick of Invasion in DaS3.
>>
>Break into this dudes home
>Greets me like a long time chum
>proceed to gut him like a filthy pig
>>
>>344561409

Why do you post this in every souls thread. It's not even good.
>>
Its not fun having only oneshot builds be viable

Yeah, sure, if you don't really care about winning or rarely pvp you can fumble around with whatever you want and not care that you never win. This is the crowd I most often see defending this game's pvp- the people that barely fucking do it and don't realize how stale it is

Right now if you want to not just rely on host stupidity/waiting until other reds arrive, your options are to use a buffed spin combo to 100-0 phantoms and deal like 80% of the host's life in one combo, or you can use a heavy weapon like astora greatsword, yhorms, bkga, dsga, etc and play passive until you get a parry, at which point you one shot the mother fucker

Builds that rely on actually fighting are useless, since healing happens almost immediately and is more difficult to punish than in any other souls game, plus he has phantoms to protect him while he heals, and there's friendly fire between reds, and even if you trade in your favor he has 2x estus and 30% more health

Trading blows with the host is a no-win proposition, you either kill them in a one second burst of damage or you don't kill them at all.

So, invaders wear a hornet ring and caestus or buff spins with darkmoon blade

The hornet ring and DMB are not the problem. The fact that they are the only option if you don't just want to get ran over by a seeded 3 phantom host every time is.

I think estus just happens too fast in this game. Trading hits with bosses and healing more times than they have health is a totally viable option, especially with an estus ring on.
>>
>>344563684
It's a good thing that invasions got harder, but they went seriously overboard with it.

Having more HP than phantoms AND being able to summon a ganksquad with no repercurssions is just fucking insane.
>>
>>344563684

This. Every time I am 1v4 I pull out a great weapon and parry fish. That's all you can do really. The pvp is incredibly stale. The game caters to casuals who want to summon 3 people to beat their single player game for them. There's no fun in human against human combat. Souls 2 had ways to go after people who enjoy PvP thanks to blue orbs and the sin mechanic.

They really fucked up with Souls 3.
>>
I don't know, I really liked most of the new mechanics in DS3 but they seriously butchered the PvP.

So much so that I pretty much dropped the game after beating it and joining a few fight clubs/invasions.

I don't even have the urge to go back and try new builds. And I even did that in the shitshow that was DaS2.
>>
>>344566616

Personally I dislike the 30% bonus health thing. One of my favorite ways to pvp in souls was to stand in the highlighted bonfire areas with red string on and wait for people to invade me while I kept pushing blue orbs to invade sinners. It was nice knowing I was actively protecting the noobs but drawing sinners to my world instead of theirs, as well as invading them to prevent them from invading the noobs.

Having 30% more health than invaders pretty much guarantees I will beat them every time. It's not even fun drawing them to my world with fingers because the fight is so imbalanced. It's only fun if they run and try to use mobs against me because then they effectively become a new level hazard.

Too bad can't even do that for long since invades stop when you clear areas. :/
>>
>>344555315
>>344559332
Fuck off. Dark Souls 2 is an abomination that had nothing good about it at all. Everything it did was horrible in every way. Or have you already forgotten Soul Memory, aka the worst mechanic in anything ever? Probably the only thing it ever managed to do that wasn't vomit-inducing was somehow have slightly better PVP than DaS3, though it's still garbage.

BB PVP > DeS PVP > DaS PVP >>>>> DaS2 PVP > DaS3 PVP
>>
>>344567454
>344567454

Your opinion is wrong.
>>
File: my life.jpg (289 KB, 1389x834) Image search: [Google]
my life.jpg
289 KB, 1389x834
>>344556342
IT IS TIME FOR ME TO URN
AND IT IS TIME FOR ME TO GET SOFT BANNED
MY BROKEN CRUSADE BEGINS HERE
>>
>>344566616
Honestly, the thing that infuriates me the most now is friendly fire between reds/watchdogs/aldrich

Fine, whatever, I've accepted that I have less health and healing and need to prioritize the host because he'll just summon more phantoms. I don't like it, but I can try to work within those limitations and still win

Friendly fire, though? FUCK. THAT.

the host and his 3 phantoms can surround me and mash r1 to try and stop me rolling away, but I can't get within ten feet of a fellow red without getting hit by his phantom range as we chase a fleeing host

Or how about the game trying to force me to lock on to other invaders instead of the host and his phantoms, when I pull out throwing knives because he's rolling away at 40 health I don't wanna fucking rotate 180 degrees and aim at my friend

It makes 2v2 or other group fights EVEN MORE inherently imbalanced in the host's favor, since we have to stay super fucling far away from one another since so many weapons have such wide attack arcs

That's not even getting into the retarded watchdogs and faithful that will try and kill you if you're a red, which annoys me to no end because they're sabotaging their own cause.

Purples should be the only phantoms capable of friendly fire and locking on to allies.
>>
>>344561409
The definition of edgy
>>
>>344561409
lmao i love this meme
>>
>>344567454
XD
>>
File: Rain.gif (298 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Rain.gif
298 KB, 300x300
>>344570625
>Implying Super Cool Knight from the trailer was edgy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xaY64GNfs

1:06
>>
File: 4105651961068.jpg (45 KB, 376x378) Image search: [Google]
4105651961068.jpg
45 KB, 376x378
>i play a PvE game for the very small aspect of its PvP
>>
>>344569305

Agree. For Mad Spirits it makes sense for there to be friendly fire, since they aren't on anyone's team but their own. Other invaders shouldn't have friendly fire, they have the common goal of killing the world master.

What Dark Souls 3 really needed was a co-op invade covenant. If the world master has 4 phantoms, you can duo invade with a friend. It's still going to be a 2v4, but at least you have a buddy to rely on and you don't have to wait for them to show up.

It would have actually made it so that summoning 4 phantoms had a downside rather than just being a guaranteed way to cheese the game and reduce its difficulty to zero.
>>
File: 1455996715235.jpg (263 KB, 800x601) Image search: [Google]
1455996715235.jpg
263 KB, 800x601
>>344571292

I summon 3 people to beat a game designed to be played by one person. I then brag about it to my friends that I was able to beat Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>344571094
Invading noobs and one-shot them is pretty edgy
>>
>>344572018

If you don't one-shot they heal 15 times so you don't really have a choice unless you enjoy boring as fuck attrition fights.
>>
>>344572458
As if waiting for an invasion and then killing the host in 2 seconds is not boring. Invasions are dumb because you can only rely on one-shot build.
That guy didn't heal or summon tho it was pointless to finish him so fast
>>
>>344555315
rat covenant was also fun when people didnt treat it as straight pvp, i liked throwing acid pots and poison arrows at the guy running around in my labyrinth
>>
>>344559332
it only took DaS 3 for people to realize 2 is the better game
>>
>>344555315
ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS ADD A COMPLETE RED EYE AND IT WOULD BE PERFECT, i dont care if they make it ng+ exclusive, just do it from
>>
>it's another DS2 shitters try to justify their shit taste episode
>>
>>344567454
BB is notorious for having turrible pvp
>>
>>344574294
Can someone explain why BB has bad pvp? I hear this a lot, but no one ever posts why.
>>
>>344574521
Spammy, just like DS3
>>
>playing DS2
>finally obtain dragon tooth
>weapon break after 4-5 r2
>description says "solid as a boulder"
>uninstall.exe
>>
>>344574521
Also lack of weapons
>B-B-But transforming weapons
>>
>>344574794
better than 10 weapons sharing the same moveset
>B-B-But weapon art
>>
>>344574849
No. There are less builds in Bloodborne because of it's lack of weapon variety. PvP was a case of "of look it's this build again".
>>
>>344567454
agape ring is a thing, guy
>>
>>344567454
>Dark Souls 2 is an abomination that had nothing good about it at all
Yeah, except for all the positives listed in the posts you replied to

>>344571292
The PvE wasn't very good either, it's really just bland all around, by far the weakest Souls game
>>
>>344575223
>After the game is dead, let's try to finally fix our fucked mechanic
>Forcing the player to give up an equipment slot to fix a broken mechanic
>>
>>344558870
Chances are, one of the 2 DS3 DLC will have us visiting Londor to see where the source of the Black Serpents.
>>
>>344574294
>>344574521
>>344574794
>>344575196
There's nothing wrong with BB's PVP. It's just PCkeks being salty.

>muh lack of weapons
And every weapon is totally unique, as opposed to there being 100+ weapons that are all exactly the same.
>>
How dead is DeS? I just started playing it, beaten Tower Knight and Armor Spider, not a single sign yet. Is this going to be like this for the entire game, or am I just unlucky?
>>
>>344575196
And guess what, it was even better. In DS3 i only meet r1 spammer and meta weapons users, BB pvp was just more fun due to its variety of combat style. What's the funny part of making a sorcerer build and then spammimg shit 5 km away from your enemy? Nothing
>>
>>344555315
And this is why I stopped playing DaS3 after a week.
>>
>>344576024
its kind of dead, six months ago i only found signs in the really tough parts like before the impaler and in 4-2

on the positive side, those guys i found were kind enough to let me add them and ask them for help if needed
>>
>>344575893
>LoL you own a console
>LoL you own a PC

Goddamn it /v/
>>
>>344575893
>100+ weapons that are all exactly the same.
They're not the same, a lot of weapons have mixed movesets and have different scaling for different builds.
>>
>>344559332
you won't convince these retards. years of conditioning on this shit board, aided by their complete lack of personal opinions and will, turned them into mindless drones. attempting to give even a small amount of praise to dark souls 2 (a game which deserves praise more than the shitfest that 1 was, at least when it comes to pvp) will result in their single brain cell routing and spewing the same old responses they saw on that fucktard's youtube channel (i don't know his name since i cba to watch that shit), or resorting to pointless shitposting. after years, their responses still amount to "lel volcano above an elevator and a mountain" or "i'm too retarded to handle more than 2 enemies so it's the game's fault". pathetic

dark souls 2 was and is the best souls games when it comes to pvp. better than 3's rigged system, better than 1's retarded poise and backstab shitfest, and ahead of bloodborne's limitations (bb stays number one on pve with no contest tho)

looking forward to see how many drones i'll trigger with this
>>
I love how so many people have gone full circle and are now defending (and praising!) DaSII. How ridiculous.
>>
>>344576718
>gone full circle
More like this:
>DS2 releases and is nothing like its predecessors outside general gameplay and the like
>Lightning is insanely broken, then gets the Nerf bat
>SotFS releases later and is mostly just a bundling of the whole game
>Fades into obscurity cause it "wasn't the tried and true, passable until the next one."
>Fast forward to BB, DS2 is mostly forgotten on Playstation, totally on /v/ as the shitposting over console wars shifts into maximum overdrive
>Fast forward to DS3
>It's utter ass because they "switched back to the old formula," and it's all around a shinier, but worse version of DS1, people get bored easily as there's very little to do and now wait for the DLC
>Begin playing DS2 again and it feels way better in comparison, so they begin diving into it hard
And thus, praise.
>>
>>344576718
The new game ignoring pretty much every single improvement the previous one brought to the series has made people appreciate the older game more, same thing happened with GTA4 - 5
>>
File: 2fast5me.jpg (73 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
2fast5me.jpg
73 KB, 680x680
>>344577150
Hot steamy truth
>>
File: 1444240817538.gif (147 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1444240817538.gif
147 KB, 340x340
>tfw DaS2 is actually the best Souls game
>>
>>344577413
Only real complaint is it's really slow in comparison to 1 and 3.
Outside that, 100% agree.
>>
File: 1328230247596.gif (833 KB, 167x167) Image search: [Google]
1328230247596.gif
833 KB, 167x167
>All the pissing and moaning over DS3 featuring so many things from DS1
>A sequel including so many things from the previous game is now a bad thing
>>
>>344577150
Only people who don't have a PS4 though, since everyone that does has BB to compare it to, which is by far the best game From has ever made.
>>
>>344577150

I always liked DS2 though. There is a plethora of ways to pvp all over the world and the game is non-linear so I can go straight for the items that complete my build.

It's actually fun replaying the game, unlike souls 3 where after one playthrough there's no point in playing it again.
>>
>>344577609
Because they're compete fanboys

>They typically bought a fucking $400 machine JUST to play it
>>
>>344577573
Because it focuses on them instead of adding them in as side-things, somewhat interesting things.
>Shortest Souls game
>VERY few areas
>VERY few enemies
>It's just you steamrolling and occasionally dealing with a bigger guy, like the Gargoyles in Profaned Capital/Archives
>The world feels fucking empty and dead, instead of depressing, but full of (un)life
>The only interesting things are references to DS1 and like 1 weapon and a shield from DS2
>>
>>344577573

It ignores everything good that DS2 did. It threw away ever improvement solely so it could amp up the nostalgia factor to over 9000. They even reused shitty dark souls 1 animations and threw away some of the beautiful motion capture animations from Dark Souls 2. Look at spears and rapiers for example. They have such clean beautiful thrusts in DS2. In DS3 they have this retarded jerky motion.
>>
>>344577873
>2-handing a rapier in 3
>That shitty jab forward
Agree.
>>
>>344574521
infinite dodging
>>
>>344577864
>DS2 has areas full of little shit you can find, piles of items to go out of your way for in addition to varied and interesting secrets
>DS3 has one type of secret in the form of illusory walls that you hit instead of activating
>No hidden levers/switches outside one just sitting in the dark in Grand Archives
>An extreme amount of Mimics
>All chests are identical
The list goes on for a bit, my god
>>
>>344577150
Probably partially true, though much less "passable until the next one" and more "COMPLETE AND UTTER SHIT LITERALLY THE WORST THING I'VE EVER PLAYED REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Personally I had always liked DaS2, but since /v/ has had the biggest hateboner for it I just didn't bother saying much about it. I suspect I'm not the only one. No I'm not saying it was perfect. It was far from it, but a game doesn't have to be perfect for me to like it. I liked Alpha Protocol for instance.

Kind of makes me wonder what happened to all the people going on about B-team, considering that was a big argument.

>>344577864
>>It's just you steamrolling and occasionally dealing with a bigger guy, like the Gargoyles in Profaned Capital/Archives
Funny that one of the many complaints about DaS2 is that all of the bosses were just big guys.
>>
I just realized something.
DS3 has no spiders.
>>
>Funny that one of the many complaints about DaS2 is that all of the bosses were just big guys.

That never bothered me, I liked fighting knights and monsters who were much larger than my character. There were plenty of fights between people my size when I was invaded, and I always turned off the human effigy effect and kept red string on so I'd be invaded as much as possible while on the quest to obtain all the items I want for my build.
>>
>>344578851
shit it's true
>>
>>344555960
>The game is designed around multi-player interaction

Yeah, summoning other people and Co-op in their worlds. Or have you not figured out that every souls game falls to fucking pieces when you start putting people against others?

>Playing Dark Souls for PVP
Again, this is where you fucked up.
>>
>>344579809
Dark Souls pvp is some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer games.
>>
>>344576135
>DS3
>sorcery

Sure buddy. Your opinion is totally valid.
>>
>>344579809

>He summons in a game designed to be beaten by a single person.

You need to get good. Again, this is where you fucked up.
>>
>>344580432
So what's your point?
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.