[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a Modern purpose for consoles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1440373759228.png (132 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1440373759228.png
132 KB, 300x300
With the exception of nintendo products and their stupid gimmicks, modern consoles are starting to look like non-customisable PCs.

All of their newest features tend to be things that make them more like PCs.

The only modern reason to get a Xbone/PS4 is because of those locked exclusives.

Tell me /v/, why do we still need consoles, other than for having company tribalism?
>>
>>344554610
Though admittedly in this day and age it is happening less, the reason I ditched consoles years ago was I hated leaving my entire game library behind every console generation, it's just stupid.
>>
>>344554610
They're perceived as more simple and easier to use by the majority of people. Most people don't want to have to jump through hoops to play their bideo games
>>
This site is primarily composed of teenagers/early 20s kids who literally can't afford a PC, so they act like consoles are better.

And like most young people, they don't have the foresight to see that consoles have lifetime costs that rival the outright cost on a PC.
>>
No. And Nintendo consoles aren't an exception either. All of their input devices, interfaces, storage media, online services or whatever could be offered without restricting the user.
>>
>>344554810
>Though admittedly in this day and age it is happening less

I actually think it's happening more and more nowadays.

PS4 and Xbone only have digital titles, which most of them run as badly as they did in the old hardware, and you need to hack your Nintendo systems to be able to run old games.

PCs also have their compatibility issues with old games, but unless you lost the original copy you don't have to do anything shady or pay anything to get them running.
>>
Normalfriends just want to sit on their couch, turn their brain off, and play some mindless stuff like Fallout 4 or Skyrim.

It is possible to set up a PC for this experience, but that's not something they want to go through the hassle of learning, let alone doing.
>>
>>344554610
People are too dumb for PC.

My friend refuses to play on PC because

>it breaks too much
>its too hard to use
>too many hackers
>I can't use a controller
>>
>>344555206
>tfw have my Xbone, PS4, and PC hooked up to my tv and I just play from bed

I am the laziest fuck in existance
>>
File: 1466268864238.jpg (15 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1466268864238.jpg
15 KB, 318x318
>>344555391
>>
>>344554810
Do you sell your consoles after you're done with them?
>>
>>344555391
>blue screen every 24 hours
>too many hackers on MP games
>scripts
>too many components to keep track of, always a disadvantage to every part except an Intel CPU. even fucking nvidia will jew the fuck out of you.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 600x503) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 600x503
>>344555391
This is the exact same excuse my dad makes for hating PC, he's a fucking tard.
>>
>>344554610
>The only modern reason to get a Xbone/PS4 is because of those locked exclusives.

That's all there is to it, really.
There are certain games you just can't play unless you get a specific console. Some people really want to play that game so they get the console.

Exclusives are bad for the consumer, but expecting them NOT to exist is just silly as shit.
>>
>>344554610
making money from fools
>>
File: 1464409978558 - Copy.jpg (113 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
1464409978558 - Copy.jpg
113 KB, 576x720
>>344554610

This thread is fucking stupid so i'm highjacking it.

So, /v/, I just bought a used Wii. It's the 25 anniversary edition.

I will be softmodding it so I need all the games.

Post must-play Wii and GC games.

Currently Downloading:
Red Steel 2, SMBB, Epic Yarn, Mario Party 9, TLOZ:SS, Rabbids go home.

Also, where can I get the Metroid Trilogy? It's too fucking expensive to buy.

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1457831794105.png (43 KB, 138x171) Image search: [Google]
1457831794105.png
43 KB, 138x171
>spoonfeed me please i can't look up gaems
die
>>
>>344556234
buy metroid trilogy on wii u, it's only$10 USD, and use vWii to softmod your wii u console. bam, you can now play gc, wii, and wii u games via loadiine.
>>
>>344556234

inb4 hurr piracy is bad
>>
>>344556501

Neato. I will buy a Wii U next then and put this Collector's Item on the fucking wall. Thanks for that. Any game suggestions? Are Wii U games pirateable yet?

>>344556475
>I have nothing to say but I want to argue with someone on the internet
kek
>>
>>344554610
Japanese games.
they're the only ones that still make good games and without consoles they would move to mobile
>>
>easier to use
>less retarded community (see dota, csgo, lol and especially PCMR - the reason I am bycotting buying PC games and I just pirate everything on PC while I buy console version instead)
>people on consoles actualy pay for games so devs can make another game
>>
>>344557303
also physical copies that you can actually sell and lend to a friend
>>
>>344556876
yes via loadiine. literally download, move into a folder, and play.

heres a video of a nigger doing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRnKORlf-DU

if a fucking nigger can do loadiine, you can too. granted not all games work, there's a compatibility list, but a majority of them do.

as for game sugestions, there isn't much to play on wii u. just grab the zelda, super mario 3d world, and xenoblade x. you'll be set. if you really want a jrpg, grab TMS#FE, but it's extremely japanese so be warned for that.

we won't get anything for wii u until color splash, and then after that a six month drought until Zelda BotW releases
>>
>>344557619
>tfw like having a phyical copy to put on my shelf
>hate having to switch out disks

I don't want to buy it twice. Life is suffering i guess
>>
>>344554610
Children, Computer Illiterates and people who just don't care and buy whatever has the most appealing games and play once a week
>>
>>344557619
Steam family share can do you one better, you can play his game anytime he's not playing anything, you don't even have to ask.

>sell
>he sells games
Glad I only made that mistake once.
>>
>>344557674

yeah i'm not worried about my hax ability bro.

I have noted those games, thanks. There's also Bayo 2 so that's a plus for Wii U too.

Any Wii / GC suggestions?

All I know of are Metroids, RE4 (got that on steam tho), and Zeldas that are known "must-plays". Other than that i'm completely oblivious of what nintendo had to offer.
>>
I prefer plug-n-play whenever I want to play some vidya rather than downloading patches because my PC is shit and I'm not about to spend a couple hundred dollars on upgrades that may or may not work
>>
>>344558182
If we're talking about Metroids don't forget about the 2D games. The gameplay is much faster and more engaging as well as challenging. They can be played on most phone emulators as well
>>
>>344558040
family share isn't that convenient.
and being able to sell games is always a plus, even if you don't do it.
>>
>>344558193
>plug-n-play
do you have a console from the past two generations?
you'd know there's no such thing, they ALWAYS have updates
>>
>>344558182
Not sure of Wii, i really only played Super Smash Bros 3 and Zelda Skyward Sword. There's also Xenoblade Chronicles, but I played that on my N3DS. (I never owned an original Wii, so I started playing Wii games on my Wii U back in 2013)

for GC, boy there's a a shitload of games to play on GC. just experiment with different ones. I love the GC. Defender, Resident Evil 4, the Zelda, Smash Melee, Mario Party 5 and 7, Soul Calibur 2...Star Wars...dude there's a lot out there. not PS2 levels of "a lot", but there's a lot.
>>
File: I never asked for a swish.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
I never asked for a swish.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>344558381
>family share isn't that convenient

are you kidding me? I doubled my steam library and got another 200+ games including lots of AAA that I can play basically any time I want for free. My friend got arrested for CP and he's never on anymore.

I couldn't go over to his house and borrow his Deus Ex, but I can family share it right now.
>>
>>344558447
I have a PS3 but I don't play online so its rarely an issue.
>>
>>344558812
>lose the entire multiplayer component of a game
>it's not an issue
even if you don't play the multiplayer you should see why that's still a common problem
>>
>>344558743
>it's convenient if your friend is a pedo.
.....so this is the power of the master race
>>
>>344555975
can you name even one other consumer product with exclusives? video players? thankfully that shit got noped every time ((they)) attempted it. music players? no. radios? no. microwave ovens? no. console gamers are the only ones stupid enough to buy 3 nearly identical products just for exclusives.
>>
>>344558894
You're making it out to be a larger problem than it is, though. I don't have to worry about file system errors (like missing DLLs) or games not running at all.

Also, I never play online because I live in the boonies. I don't buy games that have huge online components.
>>
>>344558693

Noted!

I think Xenoblade games and Metroid already validate the acquisition, but I'll look into those too.
>>
>>344555391
hackers ingame are one of the few legitimate downsides of PC gaming though.
>>
>>344554610
So will you shut up if Sony implement a gimmick? Is remote play on Vita a gimmick? Because that's what Wii U's gimmick is.
>>
>>344558923
I also family share with people who are on regularly and it's still immensely useful.

When comparing it to borrowing family share is superior in every sense. If you friend lends you a game he can't play it again until you give it back. You can take turns multiple times a day without ever meeting up to exchange the game.
>>
>>344554610
For playing games. Also play games on my pc and handhelds. What's the point of this thread?
>>
>>344559494
Don't act like console games don't have hackers too

I play PC all the time and VERY RARELY do I see a hacker. Also most PC games have vote kick so the server can get rid of him.
>>
Consoles are easier to use, that's it.
>But PC is easier than its ever bee-
Doesn't matter, Steam may have made PC more normie approved, but there may still come a time when you buy a game, realize it doesn't run, that you may have to edit an .ini file, install an unofficial patch, etc etc.

Normies fucking hate that, they don't want to get their hands dirty. I mean fuck look at how much Mac's still sell.

People want their magic technology box.
They don't want to tinker with it, they don't want to understand it, they just want it to work.

It's literally that simple.
>>
>>344561106
This is really it to be honest. I'm not even tech dumb (I singlehandedly built an assembler in base 10 just because) but I have extremely bad luck when it comes to tinkering with hardware
>>
the only reason to get a ps4 are exclusives like yakuza. Literally every other major game is also on pc but for me it comes down to the japanese exclusives which steam is getting more and more of.

if you want to couch experience get a wireless xbone controller and put the computer in big picture mode
>>
>>344554867
>t. pcuck

/v/ is a pc and nintendo shill board. everyone knows this.
>>
>>344554610
<a href='www.faggot-op.com'>http://uk.ign.com/games/red-dead-redemption/xbox-360-14320288</a>
>>
Most people don't even own a desktop these days. Everything is on tablet maybe a laptop if they're oldschool. Desktops are for nerds
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.