[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are fans of arena shooters so cancerous? If arena shooters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12
File: Unreal_Tournament_2004_UT2004.jpg (127 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Unreal_Tournament_2004_UT2004.jpg
127 KB, 1024x768
Why are fans of arena shooters so cancerous? If arena shooters are so good, why are they so rare now?
>>
>>344535130
>cancerous?
Source, and don't show me some shit from 10 years ago. Show me something fresh from 2016 faggot.

There's no need to be "cancerous" when you're the fucking apex and new fags like yourself run away as soon as you enter the fray because arena shooters are too advance for you.
>>
>>344535130
tell me what happened op
>>
Same reason other old genres that are supposedly good are dead. Examples include single player FPS, RTS, cRPGs, sidescrolling, 3D platforming etc.

And that reason is that they're all shit and the only reason people think they were ever good is nostalgia.
>>
>>344535318
Every time a new shooter comes out, people are always nostalgiafags over the days of Quake 3.
>>344535378
I was playing Quake Live deathmatch and people started shitflinging about what the best Quake was, if Unreal was better and I'm pretty sure Halo was mentioned at one point.
>>
>>344535130
>Rare
UT4, Doom, Quake Champions. Plus a whole bunch of smaller budget titles like Rise of the Triad.
>>
>>344535725
>D44M
ebin Xd
>>
>>344535527
So you're not even talking about people in arena shooters. You're talking about people playing the new shit and that community being cancerous, then why did you say "fans of arena shooters are so cancerous" when you're not even engaged in the community? Just because so random faggot plays Quake once doesn't make him a fan.
>>
>>344535867
It's the arena shooter player who act superior for having played these titles in their prime and thinking this gives them the right to think anyone who play CoD for example is below them.
>>
>>344536092
Then in that case I'm a cancer to current action games, because I can't stand shit like Batman and GodofWar which have next to no combat depth what so ever and I feel that I'm superior for playing games like Devil May Cry and Godhand which take for more skill than the new casual baby shit that releases today.
>>
UT2K4 is great and I still play it. Fuk u
>>
>>344536607
God of War sold itself on spectacle. Even the devs like DMC more. Batman is something else so it's not really a fair comparision.
>>
>>344536750
>God of War sold itself on spectacle
And how! GoW 1-3 look really good considering the hardware they had to work with. Nobody really cares that the gameplay is ass across the whole series.
>>
>>344535130
>If arena shooters are so good, why are they so rare now?
You can't make a game about fast movement and accurate shooting work with a controller.
>>
>>344537170
Is that the reason RTS died too?
>>
This is the one good Arena shooter that PC players will never get to play.

Fun Fact: The console version is a PC port. It wasn't even balanced around a controller. Thus there wasn't any aim bot and in the options there was only mouse sensitivity.

Fuck. I wish they had released this on PC. It's 1000 times better than UT3.
>>
>>344537081
Ascension had the best, least clunky gameplay of the series and it's for some reason hated.
>>
>>344537478
Forgot to add that UC2 is literally a Hardcore/classic/traditional version of Overwatch.
>>
>>344537081
They're still pretty fun.
>>
>>344537478
thanks for reminding me unreal 2
>>
I play UT2004 against bots often

It's really that good. I wish it would be launched for free or something so it had a community again.

UT4 is free tho, but toasters can't run it and that was the appeal of arena shooters, that any favela ridden shithole with an internet connection could duke it out.

UT4 is pretty fucking good tho, even in "pre-alpha""""""
>>
>>344535130
they're rare now because your generation prefers shooters where you can grind to unlock the best gear and have it from the start of the match. if you have to actually learn the map and be good at movement then your generation won't like it.
>>
>>344537478
OH YES THAT GAME WAS THE TITS

I was stupified at not having a PC release. It was incredibly good, with physics, controls and meta game. The story was surprisingly good.

I expected cheesy hamstringed story and I got feels. And Selket's ass. Mainly Selket's ass. That's a good ass. Anubis was in his right to claim ownership of the kingdom and dat ass.
>>
>>344537478
my nigga

I actually stopped playing UT2004 to get into this for a little while.
>>
>>344535130
The popularity of lan parties and servers for playing arena shooters in the late 90s/early 00s were their own downfall as in order to really participate in the community you had to be conversant with Linux. This resulted in lots of the fans of the genre using Linux. That meant that games in the genre that wanted to be taken seriously by the fanbase needed to support Linux.

When Microsoft released the Xbox and started pushing developers towards consoles this spelled the death of Arena Shooters because there was no way in hell Microsoft (who was at the height of their power) was going to allow those games to come to Linux. Developers were paid off and formerly Linux-friendly devs like Id and Epic released new games that were Windows+Console only with compromises to make the games playable with a gamepad. Needless to say those games mostly flopped.

Cut off from the mainstream, Linux users made their own Arena Shooters that evolved into games today like Warsow and Xonotic. With Linux coming back now for gaming due to Windows 10 the new generation of arena shooters like the new Unreal Tournament are again supporting Linux from the start.
>>
>>344536092
maybe start by explaining why CoD isn't cancer, or what's wrong with arena shooters
>>
>>344537478
Anubis = Ryu
Malcolm = Ken

I dare say Malcolm was kinda OP because he's got Anubis moveset but the Enforcers were hitscan.

Holy shit i want to play duels of the game again. It's what a Max Payne MP should be.
>>
File: 3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpg (353 KB, 800x701) Image search: [Google]
3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpg
353 KB, 800x701
>>344535130
>>
>>344538304
>what's wrong with arena shooters
I would say the community but that's not the game's fault.
>>
>>344538304
CoD is an arena shooter tho.

Just doesn't have powerups, or weapons lying around, or anything resembling gameplay but a meatgrinder in the desert maps.

But it is an Arena Shooter.
>>
File: 1434777598007.gif (1 MB, 250x244) Image search: [Google]
1434777598007.gif
1 MB, 250x244
>>344535130
I'll give ya a real answer since you asked so nicely op and that answer is market share. The market share for different genres in the gaming industry has increased over the years that the market share for those type of games is now small. So small that when a developer decides what game they are going to make they aim for the biggest market share this determines the type of genre of game they will create. Everything revolves around money op best to learn that.
>>
File: LiandriDev.webm (3 MB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
LiandriDev.webm
3 MB, 600x420
>>344537478
>>
>i never played arena shooters before this year so they're shit

People don't play arena shooters anymore because the overwhelming majority is casuals who need persistence and unlocks to maintain their attention. They're not used to thinking in more than one plane and they don't like things that they have to practice to get good at.
>>
File: UT2004 2016-02-29 19-05-36-99.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
UT2004 2016-02-29 19-05-36-99.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>344536695
>tfw keep missing speck's UT2k4 nights
>>
>>344535725
>Quake Champions
>He doesn't know
>>
File: top_vieuw.jpg (164 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
top_vieuw.jpg
164 KB, 1024x768
>>344535130

They're rare now because they involve immense amounts of skill.

People want to have fun not get absolutely shitstomped.
>>
File: selket tits.jpg (116 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
selket tits.jpg
116 KB, 1920x1080
>>344537478
God damn those tits

>Feels at the end

God dammit Anubis.
>>
>>344538536
>android
>not gynoid

REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
what happened to quake live?

and what shooter should I play?

I'm not a faggot or anything, it's just been a while
>>
File: Screenshot_13.png (13 KB, 1034x140) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_13.png
13 KB, 1034x140
>>344535318
>Show me something fresh from 2016 faggot.

There you go.
>>
>>344538038
That only became the appeal of arena shooters because new games stopped coming and the old engines were opened up allowing you to literally run Quake on anything even down to literal toasters in some cases.

When those games were new they were the reason to build a new PC because your old system wouldn't be able to handle it. The first upgrade I did to my PC was installing a video card for Quake 2. The first PC I built was a dual core system for Quake 3 so I could play and run a secondary server at lans.
>>
Kids are shit at video games these days. Money won't be made if it's too hard for kids to play.
>>
File: bones.png (31 KB, 120x300) Image search: [Google]
bones.png
31 KB, 120x300
>>344538397
>CoD is an arena shooter tho.
in what dimension?
>>
>If arena shooters are so good, why are they so rare now?
Because they are not a genre for everyone. The fact that they are rare has nothing to do with quality itself. They require copious amounts of time and effort to become enjoyable, and not everyone wants to invest their forces to get good. Most people just seek for quasi instant gratification games, where little to nothing has to be learned. I just find it sad that the new UT seems not really popular, but I guess it can't be really helped
>>
File: Sweating Guy.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Sweating Guy.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>344538190
>>344538643
Was there ever a Selket texture mod for ut3?
>>
>>344539029
its in alpha.it makes sense for it to be no-popular
i would play it more but i dont want to burn myself in a alpha/beta of a game i most likely will enjoy
>>
Arena shooters are the pinnacle of FPS games. The person with the most skill in aiming and movement wins. There's no bullshit abilities that can make a worse player win against a better player. It's all raw skill.

Here's the kicker: 99% of all PC players fucking suck at video games. They don't think it's fun to play against Arena shooter veterans because the new players get their asses kicked. UT4 and QL are probably the easiest arena shooters to get into (partly because they're the only ones that are somewhat alive) and there's still not many new players.
>>
>>344538972
Advanced Warfare was. Probably why the kiddies didn't like it.
>>
File: 1467901674915.jpg (141 KB, 692x834) Image search: [Google]
1467901674915.jpg
141 KB, 692x834
>>344539029
>>344539265

Are you two retarded? No one has hope for it cause UT3 was trash and development of UT4 has been going horribly.

game is DOA

Other games like reflex use literally the exact same numbers/weapons/movement as quake 3 so there's nothing new in the genre and everything is stagnate. Why would anyone play quake 3 clones when they could just play quake 3. Fucking retarded nostalgia devs.

Someone needs to make a new arena shooter with new ideas that actually cares about the genre more than their nostalgia.
>>
>>344539717
To be fair, UT3 did recover from it's initial release after some patches, but I guess people already abandoned it. Why is UT4 development going horribly?
>>
>>344539717
nevermind i was answering some retard that thinks paying for patches should be the norm
>>
>>344535130

Because they were replaced by MOBAs, Cawadoodie, and Counter-Shit for being the "Go-to" competitive games
>>
>>344539717
>Why would anyone play quake 3 clones when they could just play quake 3
Interface, really. Joining games via consoles and typing in IP is too outlandish for people these days, and the server browser is pure shit, with servers being able to avoid filter for their cancer redirect mods that still persist in CoD4 because the netcode is basically copypasted.

Seriously if they dropped QL and the new Quake was just Q3 with a new skin and better interface/steam integration and like F2P with skins or somethings with optional "pay 60 bucks to get all skins and some complimentary story mode", it would probably revive the genre.
>>
Who /Q3A/?

3 frags left
>>
>>344539717
UT3 Black was VERY good though. But the damage was done. I want to play it so bad but nobody else does.

UT4 is good, but it's still """"""""""ALPHA"""""""""".

It's funny because looks better than finished games, runs flawlessly and plays perfectly well. It just needs content.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.