[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been playing La mulana for a few hours. Shit, why is this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: lamulana_Boxshot[1].jpg (374 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
lamulana_Boxshot[1].jpg
374 KB, 480x600
Been playing La mulana for a few hours.
Shit, why is this game so good? I only played a few other metroidvanias before, but this just blows my mind, and it's damn fun too.
Will this game ruin others of its kind for me?
Also, general La mulana thread.
>>
Anyone else played this?
>>
>Will this game ruin others of its kind for me?
Well it's pretty different than most Metroidvanias, you should still be able to have fun with others without really comparing them. Nothing else is really likely to compare though. Music and boss fights are GOAT.
>>
>Will this game ruin others of its kind for me?

It's the only game I can think of that combines Metroid and Myst.
>>
File: La-Mulana.png (72 KB, 648x710) Image search: [Google]
La-Mulana.png
72 KB, 648x710
Can't wait for 2.
>>
Post best tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rfhi6I84hM
>>
File: Lemeza_Portrait.jpg (38 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Lemeza_Portrait.jpg
38 KB, 400x400
I really don't think it'll ruin other Metroidvanias for you (at least the really good ones), simply because it's so radically different from them, despite being amazing. For example, it doesn't have Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission's level of smooth controls and shooting mechanics, and it doesn't have the fantastic range of cool powers and weapons that can be found in SotN or AoS. And although it's pretty impressive, I didn't find it as incredible to explore as Super Metroid or SotN.

But it is easily the best indie Metroidvania and probably one of my favourite games.

>>344536445
I deeply regret not backing this before it closed. Is there anyway to fund it still?

>>344537041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_lWH8jtUE0

Also, Mt Explorer classic is best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTHBCpiU8Y
>>
>>344534648

Be sure to take notes about EVERYTHING
>>
>>344538845
anyone have la mulana 2's music artist name?
>>
Should I play the original or Steam version?
>>
>>344534648
>Been playing La mulana for a few hours.
hehehehe

i am now imagining all those surprises and gotcha and aha moment that the game will throw at you
>>
>>344541789
I'd just play the remake.

>>344541939
>All those bosses
>>
>>344534648
Yes, it did exactly that to me.
There is nothing quite like it with regards to level design and puzzles.
>>
>>344541939
>>344542160
>All those trophies/achievements for different insta-kills
>>
>>344542285
instakills?
>>
So guys, IRON PIPE or Ocean?
>>
>>344542567
There are a lot of one-hit kill traps. Some bosses have them as their final attacks too, like Baphomet.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (68 KB, 974x391) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
68 KB, 974x391
>>344542567
let OP discover the magic by himself
>>
Metroidvanias are overrated. Besides, the best of them are what the portmanteau comes from, Metroid and Castlevania. La Mulana is alright for an indie game but it's still mediocre compared to those games.

Also, getting stuck in an irreversible trap and having to restart the game killed the game early on for me.
>>
I got just past the garden of Eden and then got so stuck I dropped the game. I want to finish but I have no fucking clue where to even start if I picked it back up, should I just start over?
>>
La Mulana is so fucking good dude. When's 2 out, anyway? I really regret not backing it.
>>
>>344544972
Probably sometime next year.
>>
>>344544128
I wouldn't say Metroid or Castlevania are better. I love em to death, but pretending La Mulana is close to the standard Metroidvania is foolish. It's more in its own odd niche, for people willing to take time to think out puzzles and forgive insta deaths. For some people that's garbage game design, but personally it's refreshing to see and satisfying to beat.

I agree getting stuck at the beginning and having to restart is absolute bullshit, though. Happens to more players than it should, I don't blame you for getting turned off by that.
>>
>>344544162
Probably, but if you want to continue from where you left, i might be able to give you hints based on what bosses you killed and the items that you have.
>>
>>344544128
>Also, getting stuck in an irreversible trap and having to restart the game killed the game early on for me.
I'm pretty certain that's only possible if you don't have the Holy Grail...and even then you'd only have to start from the last save point.
>>
>>344544162
If it's any consolation, the Gate of Illusion is probably the most bullshit puzzle-zone in the game...with the possible exception of the Chamber of Birth, but even that isn't that bad.
>>
>>344545394

I don't even remember the bosses I've done, that's the problem. I think I did via and whatever the boss is in the entry ruins, and I remember attempting the waterways boss... I should probably just start over.
>>
>>344545473
>even that isn't that bad.
>that store location for the jewel
>dance of life
>infinite falling
>thunder up the ass eveywhere
>invisible pathways

>>344545668
If you are that much into the beginning, yes, maybe it's better to start from the beginning.
>>
>>344545723
Well...it isn't AS bad as the Gate of Illusion, in my opinion. It's still pretty bullshit though, with all those things to take into consideration. Easily the second-worst at any rate.
>>
Alright, confession time, who ended up looking at a guide and at what part? No judging here, you'll be able to make up for your sins when the second comes out and there's no guides.
>>
>>344546004
Trying to get into and out of hell.
Besides that, i mashed my head against everything for what i think was 60 hours (final game time was around 36 hours, but i reloaded a lot of times)
>>
>>344545668
Can you open it right now? Post a screenshot of your start screen.
>>
>>344546004
I used the wiki for a lot of the game after the first couple of zones. I tried to go without it for some parts after that, but most of the back-side and late-game puzzles I needed it for.
It's the only game I've ever played where I felt entirely dependent on a guide. It's probably my greatest shame in terms of playing games.
>>
>>344542754
That falling ceiling was fucking bullshit
>>
File: so_good.png (66 KB, 659x609) Image search: [Google]
so_good.png
66 KB, 659x609
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTLjlUIDI_U
This fucking piece of art.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV8hSBx1L9o
>>
File: DON'T.jpg (22 KB, 299x213) Image search: [Google]
DON'T.jpg
22 KB, 299x213
>>344546536
Triggered.
>>
File: pWUoi.png (16 KB, 692x371) Image search: [Google]
pWUoi.png
16 KB, 692x371
>>344538298
You can actually can, just go to their playism page, but only up to the $256 tier otherwise i would give more
>>
>>344546682
Damn, son.
>>
>>344546682
Nice. Once I've got a bit more expendable cash, I'll have to do that. Thanks, anon.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.