[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
What went wrong?
>>
Faggot consumers who want assassins trash garbage and ubitrash pandering to them while leaving the series to rot. I hope vivendi drives that dogshit company into the ground.
>>
>>344532082
daily reminder that Warrior Within is the best
>>
At least in Ass Creed there's a threat of death, however minuscule it is.
>>
>>344532082
Not much, at least it didn't get run into the ground.
>>
Reboot required

>Shah of Persia
>>
So what's the most modern way of playing the original 2D game?

I'm not fucking digging out my 360 just to play the remake.
>>
>>344532331
1st is best, 3rd is most fun. And fuck any autist that wants to correct me by bringing up the older games.
>>
>they promised Kindred Blades
>same gritty atmosphere as Warrior Within
>sort of sandbox, free travel, fight for each part of the city, lead the revolution
>use fire and water to switch between dark and normal prince
>...
>a couple years later we got Two Thrones
I mean, it has some neat new features, but man, how they managed to drop much better concept is beyond my understanding.
>>
>>344533335
>the most modern way
What the fuck does this mean
Have you heard of Dosbox?
>>
>>344533524
1's the best AND you can unlock the original two in the Xbox version.
>>
>>344533604
Yes, but that is a pain in the pooper requiring original disk images. I'm wondering if there's a modern rerelease of PoP besides the XBLA version, or a Flash version, or whatever.
>>
>>344533745
shh you can download these images on the internet
>>
I like the plot of reboot, fite me
>>
>>344536357
this game really felt like SotC and it's a good thing
>>
>>344536357
there's absolutely no challenge, though, and i'm not some GAMEPLAY UBER ALLES weirdo

like the way they mark all the climbable surfaces and rescue you if you fuck up and miss a jump. it just turns into a slog where you run and jump around, feed the glowy orbs to the princess, then move on. ditto combat, where the game helpfully pauses and explains which weapon technique you should use

like every single ubisoft game ever it's an inch thick and everything just sort of exists to be a marker on a map
>>
>>344536357
I loved this game - I just wanted some good ol'
platforming smoothness and that's what it gave me.
>>
>>344536357
This one was the worst. It looked pretty, but it was so fucking monotonous. You kept doing the same shit over and over and over again.

Sands of Time is the best PoP game. Period.
>>
>>344536357
The one and big problem I had with that PoP was that there was barley any combat and any fight you did have was over too quickly.
There wasn't any regular enemies to fight they were all boss or mini-boss fights.
>>
>>344533335
I'd say play the Super Famicom remake, or the PC Engine remake. The latter is closer to the original, whereas the former is an excellent expanded remake with bosses, new levels, etc.
>>
File: prince mirrored.png (1 MB, 1164x848) Image search: [Google]
prince mirrored.png
1 MB, 1164x848
>>344536357
who wins?
>>
File: 1299483545362.jpg (78 KB, 621x480) Image search: [Google]
1299483545362.jpg
78 KB, 621x480
>>344536357
>Play on PC
>Epilogue is console-only DLC
>Sequel is a phone game
>>
>>344536357
objectively best PoP
>>
The series went to shit during the third installment, The Two Thrones. You're going to fight me on this, but TT had many of the modern AAA gameplay traps that Ubisoft clung to for a long time, including, but not limited to

>forced stealth sequences with QTE takedowns
>removal of different weapons, forcing you to only use the dagger for the entire game
>gimmicky God of War inspired Sandwraith segments with chain weapons
>weakest platforming of the series, often designed around the sandwraith whip giving you an instant win button so you can chain whip yourself across gaps instead of traversing them in prior games
>on rails chariot sequences that returned in Assassin's Creed
>story took a turn for the worst, giving the Prince an edgy demon spirit living inside his head telling him to do dumb shit
>final boss fight is a platforming gimmick contest that almost made me put the game down

It's a shame, because Sands of Time was 10/10, and Warrior Within was probably an 8/10. Sure, WW had it's share of problems, but the combat, platforming, level design, and general gameplay were all top tier. All they needed to do was lighten the tone and go back to what made Sands of Time so good, and they'd have a golden game. The result was Two Thrones, which was shit.

Enter the cel shaded reboot, which from a gameplay point was atrocious. The platforming was dumbed down severely (you have that claw glove giving you the ability to cheese it), and the combat was quick time events turned into 1v1 duels. It's awful. The game is beautiful, and has a really nice story, but the package around that is awful.

Enter the "midquel", The Forgotten Sands, billing itself as Sands of Time era PoP on modern consoles, taking place between SoT and WW, to bridge the gap. The gap nobody ever cared about or wanted. While it certainly plays better than the reboot, TFS is still a lifeless gimmick fest with awful combat, magic powers that let you cheese half the game, and uncreative levels design. Cont.
>>
>>344540550
Epilogue ruins the ending for me to be honest, I'd rather have the Prince fuck up the world so Elika could live than seeing his decision was right
>>
how the fuck do i get Sands of Time to work on modern PCs
>>
>>344540741
Cont.

The Forgotten Sands does a lot right though, like the water mechanic where you can freeze time to "harden" water, allowing you to traverse waterfalls as walls, etc. This was pretty fun, but it never grabbed me as much as SoT/WW did, because it just felt lifeless. Soulless.

Long story short, Ubisoft forgot how to make good games around 2005 or so. They began to become a bigger company and turned away from their consumers and fell into the AAA trap. I highly doubt we'll ever see another Prince of Persia again, and it's just as well frankly. Two great games followed by three mediocre games? It's time to let go.
>>
File: it-works-award1.png (36 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
it-works-award1.png
36 KB, 200x193
>>344540871
Explain
>>
>The game nobody seems to remember
>Not Forgotten Sand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvzg_RSXKfg
>>
>>344540972
it's been a long time since, but something about fog, fog everywhere

downloading again thru Steam to see if the gods bless this install though
>>
Assassin's Creed killed the franchise.
>>
>>344541414
Wrong. You want to think it did because you hate AC, but The Two Thrones killed it, and that came out in 2005, and had many of the modern AAA pitfalls games have today. The first AC came out in 2007.

If you mean the AC series took all of Ubisoft's time, preventing them from making more games, then you're also wrong there. They still had time to make five FC games (if we count Blood Dragon), two PoP reboots, and several other games like Watch_Dogs, the Division, etc.

PoP's third entry killed it, friend.
>>
>>344541414
Requieska in Ponchos
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnwPdMjGSeI

I miss it.
>>
I don't want nUbisoft making pop anyway. The prospect of one with the ubiart engine is interesting but it would probably be pretentious hipster 2deep4u shit pandering to sjw
>>
The combat was terrible every game and they decided to focus on it more with each successive game for some reason.
It was probably also made redundant in the eyes of Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed, no need to have two franchises about parkouring around ancient buildings while occasionally swordfighting a bunch of guys. Even though the platforming in AC is automated to the point where you're just holding two buttons and the stick forward for the majority of situations.

Does anybody at all give a shit about PoP 3D.
>>
who was in the wrong here
>>
>>344542360
>Does anybody at all give a shit about PoP 3D.
Yeah, almost everyone in the thread who posted before you. Why'd you even come in here? Just to shitpost?
>>
File: Prince_of_Persia_3D_Coverart.png (165 KB, 256x310) Image search: [Google]
Prince_of_Persia_3D_Coverart.png
165 KB, 256x310
>>344542514

I don't mean Sands of Time and the like. I mean this, I never see anybody talk about it.
>>
>>344542694
Oh fuck, I forgot that even existed.
>>
>>344542360
>The combat was terrible every game

Eat shit, nigger
>>
>>344541704

Two thrones at least was fun and had actual gameplay ,even i had more fun with pop 2008 than Ass creed.

Ass creed comercial sucess is what killed it ,but if not it would surely be sandbox/cinematic shit like most of ubi games and the lastest two pops

>>344542694

No U
>>
>>344540741
>forced stealth sequences with QTE takedowns
They weren't forced and they weren't QTEs.
>removal of different weapons, forcing you to only use the dagger for the entire game
It's not like the different weapons did anything different.
>gimmicky God of War inspired Sandwraith segments with chain weapons
You complain about weapons being removed but also about a genuinely different weapon being added?
>weakest platforming of the series, often designed around the sandwraith whip giving you an instant win button so you can chain whip yourself across gaps instead of traversing them in prior games
Again, those added variety to the platforming, and to the combat.
>on rails chariot sequences that returned in Assassin's Creed
Yeah that was shit.
>story took a turn for the worst, giving the Prince an edgy demon spirit living inside his head telling him to do dumb shit
Fuck the story,
>final boss fight is a platforming gimmick contest that almost made me put the game down
And still it's by far the best boss in the series.
>>
>>344543148
>And still it's by far the best boss in the series.

Worst boss for me .Loved the colisseum one.
>>
>>344543506
Still, it's a TTT boss. SoT only had the Vizier which was a boring fight and all WW bosses were shitty damage sponges.
>>
>>344543653

I meant for Two thrones,SoT had also a miniboss(The sultan) and yeah ,WW were shitty.

pop 2008 had some interesting ideas about the bosses but was wasted potential
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.