[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>lock an entire area behind emoting in a particular spot in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: file.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>lock an entire area behind emoting in a particular spot in an area you reach before you recieve the emote

I like secrets, but this is too much. Area looks great too, and I missed the whole thing.
>>
in the context of vidya that's not even a cryptic secret
>>
Wait a minute, that gesture...
>>
>>344523385
>i want the game to be a linear path with a navigation compass arrow pointing to anything interactable
just kill yourself
>>
>>344523494
What was intuitive about it? Did the flavor text of the emote (if that's a thing) hint at what to do?
>>
File: 1468144470851.jpg (361 KB, 847x679) Image search: [Google]
1468144470851.jpg
361 KB, 847x679
You think that's cryptic?
>>
>>344523609
The emote was just like that statue that was completely unique in the whole game.
>>
i didnt miss it, guess im smarter than you
>>
>>344523725
Which would have been okay if the emote was gained before or just after. I tried emoting when I saw the place, but obviously didn't have that particular emote yet.
>>
>>344523850
>knew to emote
>didn't go back and try the correct emote once you got it
You have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>344523385
>See very specific pose in one specific place in the entire game
>Get that pose hours later
>Never go back
>Never mimic that pose in that area
You're pretty dim anon.

Let me put it to you like this, if you saw a bunch of praise the sun statues and at no other point in the game have you seen praise the sun and then you unlock praise the sun you wouldn't think to go back and praise the sun next to them?

You have no been playing video games very long.
>>
Most people missed The Great Hollow and Ash Lake, too. And they were even more hidden.
>>
I just beat the game at my own pace and try not to look at any guides for anything. In DS3 I found and killed every boss except this and Nameless King.

Just do it on a replay through or don't.
>>
>>344523385
Literally doesn't even matter because everyone will look it all up in a guide anyway. What about the dark firelink? How many people do you think found their way there on their own?

I'm glad there's hidden content.
>>
Try gesture, then try patience
>>
Great Hollow and Ash Lake were even harder to find, compared to that Archdragon Peaks is relatively simple to find. The odd statue is hard to miss, and if you're playing online there's always tens of messages around there telling you to emote/showing you which one. If you forgot about it by the time you got the emote you've only got yourself to blame
>>
Shit tier area but at least it looks nice and has one of the better bosses of the game
>>
>>344524069
I didn't know where to go since it was a dead-end. Looked it up, they told me about the secret area.

It's a little more clear-cut when you're asking how to progress after a boss, compared to a side area that requires backtracking.
>>
File: 1433949521881.png (50 KB, 350x362) Image search: [Google]
1433949521881.png
50 KB, 350x362
>>344523850
>Found a place where he knew to emote
>Didn't have the right emote
>Gets the correct emote later on
>Never backtracks to try it out even with the ability to teleport
>This shit is too cryptic
How? How can anyone be that dense? I can get missing it entirely but if you already figured to try emoting and then later on you got the matching emote why couldn't you put it together? Why?
>>
>>344524069
>How many people do you think found their way there on their own?

Huh? How is Dark Firelink a secret?
>>
>>344523385
In DS1 they had 2 areas behind a double hidden wall.
>>
Try gesture
>>
>>344524239
Dark Souls 3 was effectively my first Dark Souls. I tried gesturing throughout the game and I don't actually remember anywhere else where gesturing does anything significant.

If nothing happens half way through the game with gesturing, you tend to give up.
>>
>>344524338
You have to hit an illusory wall to get there, but if you aren't relentlessly hitting every wall 3 games in looking for secrets, it's your own fault if you miss it
>>
>>344524338
It's behind an illusory wall. If you've never played a Souls game before, you'd have no reason to run around hitting walls.
>>
>>344523663
What game?
>>
There better be a Velka themed DLC that you access by curling up in the nest at the top of Firelink

I want to get more lore and equipment stuff related to Corvians, they're neat as fuck.
>>
>>344524452
Except unless you play in offline mode there is always messages left by other players near illusonary walls.
>>
>>344524413
>Dark Souls 3 was effectively my first Dark Souls.
Kill yourself.

Nothing pisses me off more than people who jump into the fifth game in a franchise and expect to know everything. Fuck you.
>>
>>344524478
i guess la-mulanaa from a quick google
>>
just google everything you see in this game. that's what i did
>>
>strange dragon human hybrid sitting there making unique gesture
>its looking at an non reachable area on top of a mountain in the distance
>later find the unique gesture in a room filled with the strange dragon hybrids after a strange dragon boss
>>
File: 1463108018512.png (172 KB, 344x522) Image search: [Google]
1463108018512.png
172 KB, 344x522
>>344524675
Lot of edgelords around this time of day
>>
>ITT Tryhards
I know all you faggots will say you found it on your own regardless, but you geniuses realize the statue you're supposed to gesture besides is actually facing away from you and is separated from the gesture itself by several areas? I'll actually admit I missed it the first time because the statue is not significant in anyway and really easy to not look at or remember if you happen to take a break between playthroughs of areas. By the time I got the gesture it had been a week since I "saw" that statue so of course it's not intuitive to expect people to remember.
>>344524003
>>344524196
What? They were just behind a hidden wall, how is that "more" hidden? You can even leave a message telling people there's a double hidden wall if the shitty shield you get from finding the first one wasn't enough of a "there's more here" indication. You assholes are really going to try and defend Ash Lake as being more secret?
>>344524069
How was Dark Firelink secret?

I like Dark Souls and all, but I agree with OP. The idea behind the "use emote gained after an optional boss to get to secret area" is fine but the location and placement of the statue itself was garbage.
>>
>>344523385
There were so many messages at that area that when I got the emote I knew what to do. Granted, I had seen discussions of the area so I knew it was there, but so many of the secrets and surprises in the game are signposted by other players.
>>
>>344524765
A lot of fucking entitled children acting like everything needs to be explained to them.

God forbid you might think for a fucking second.
>>
>>344524886
I didn't play online. Clearly the game is designed to be played online so that the messages will guide players to secrets.
>>
>>344524784
Git gud, casul.
>>
>>344524998

Well, why didn't you play online despite knowing that?
>>
>>344524784
>How was Dark Firelink secret?
Demon's Souls was the only game in this series that explicitly made players pass illusory walls to progress.

If you never played Demon's Souls you might have never thought of the possibility.
>>
File: 1385900323732.png (35 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1385900323732.png
35 KB, 625x626
>>344525074
>>
>>344524998
That's one of the series focal mechanics. The sharing of knowledge (or lies) to guide (or misguide) players around the world has virtually remained unchanged throughout the series. I'm assuming if you forced offline you were playing a pirated copy?
>>
>>344524784
>lashing out at others because you didn't get it
Anon, it's not our fault you didn't put 2 and 2 together. I don't know what to tell you other than that I got it first time without looking it up. It's supposed to be a secret that rewards players with a keen sense of observation and exploration and that's exactly what it does. If you don't care all that much about watching the world around you carefully, then why would having to look it up bother you anyway?
>>
You think that's cryptic?

Even CoD has WAY more cryptic secrets

Like the Zombies maps. I seriously would never figure that shit out on my own.
>>
File: neutral-pirate-poker-face-l.png (141 KB, 1302x1500) Image search: [Google]
neutral-pirate-poker-face-l.png
141 KB, 1302x1500
>>344525085
>>
>>344524784
I guess it doesn't really count as finding it on my own. But I found it because there was a message saying 'Try Gesture' with them using the correct one
>>
>>344525337
I'm not lashing out, and if you found it on your own great. But you have faggots here claiming that Ash Lake was "more hidden" than this and that makes no fucking sense. There's also difference between:
>Huh? What a weird looking statute
>Wait a minute, that gesture...
and
>Huh? What statue? Oh that small one halfway through an optional shortcut I saw three hours ago? What was weird about it? Oh, I guess it actually is doing the gesture when you look at it.

If it were as simple as putting 2 and 2 together I could have no one but myself to blame. The problem for most people is that you don't even have 2 and 2 to put together. Many people upon first seeing that statue won't have the gesture, ergo they won't think anything about the statue and won't commit it to memory. Not to mention Dark Souls puts a lot of unusual stuff in the background for lore all the time. In addition, it's facing away from you. Many people won't notice anything unusual about it at all. If you DO happen to have the gesture upon first seeing it, and happen to notice it's doing the gesture by turning the camera, then yeah it's a cool secret and has an awesome payoff. The problem is it's not fair to people who didn't get the gesture beforehand because they have no reason to think that statue, or the position it's in, would be important. It should've been in the center of the room where it's "gesture" was more obvious and memorable so it really is the player's fault for not figuring it out. You can't solve a puzzle when you don't have all the pieces.
>>
>>344524675
Settle down, Bevis.
>>
>>344524765
Yeah no he's in the right though. Fucking everyone I know who's gone through the other 4 games understood instantly once they got it.

It's not the developers fault that you chose to play the last game in the series because of memes and hype.
>>
>>344526129
Well tbf senpai let's breakdown the clues.
>you've been in a dungeon the past hour to find an unusual break outside
>dramatic scenery with an unvisited area as a focal point
>meditating statues all around
>a meditating dragon
>with a dragon head stone item

later...
>kill a dragon boss
>find a suit of armour meditating
>the same armour that in repeated item descriptions in loading screens mentions worshipping dragons
>get a new emote from this armour
>it's meditating
>>
>>344526129
Anon, you're still complaining about the exact same thing and the only answer is that you simply weren't paying enough attention to stuff around you. Complaining that it's not fair is nonsense, it's supposed to be a secret, it's not supposed to be easy to find. It rewards players who take the time to carefully observe and remember things with a sense of discovery. If you don't manage that and find out about it online, then all you miss out on is that discovery moment.
Going back to your other point, a unique statue on a unique backdrop and a unique gesture both stand out far more than any illusory walls, considering the latter isn't supposed to stand out at all. But everyone experiences the games differently and to assume that everyone found the areas behind the walls more easily than they thought to use the gesture is a total fallacy.
>>
The developers clearly want you to read the game wiki. Its akin to strategy guides in the past
>>
>>344526869
Or the millions of orange messages left all over the floors.

I'm surprised so little games bothered copying it, not even Ni-oh, the closest Soulslike coming out, does.
>>
>>344523385
>pirate the game
>miss the ground messages
>>
>>344526994
signs are completely random. Sometimes they appear next to illusory wall, sometimes they dont. Plus most of them are bullshit. Not very reliable
>>
>>344527027
>pirate a game
>complaining about lacking features

Your fault you cheap niggerfaggot.
>>
>>344526994
I feel like Ni-Oh will be more combat focused than exploration focused. I think they wanted the atmosphere of a Souls game more than anything else
>>
>>344527187
I was talking about OP
>>
File: 1462238222832.png (411 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1462238222832.png
411 KB, 640x480
>complaining that hidden areas are well hidden
you fucking people are so anti-fun
>>
>>344523385
>at the first area, you get the dragon head stone
>description mentions meditating a certain way while facing the peak
>later on you get an emote to meditate a certain way
>go do it facing the peak

???
>>
>>344526561
>dramatic scenery with an unvisited area as a focal point
It's just mountains, there's nothing dramatic about it and you don't know it's "visitable".
>meditating statues all around, a meditating dragon, with a dragon head stone item
"Statue", singular. It's just the one. Everything else there is a corpse. Again, dragons have no significance to you at this point and you can't tell it's meditating, or that it's even a "dragon" , unless you look at by turning the camera and even then half it's limbs are missing so you aren't going to have a strong memory of it's "gesture" if you've never seen it before.
>the same armour that in repeated item descriptions in loading screens mentions worshipping dragons
Knowledge that people worship dragons doesn't help you, it's irrelevant to finding the secret.
>get a new emote from this armour, it's meditating
That's part of the point though. This can happen WAY later and nothing about the initial encounter with the statue is memorable. Hindsight is 20/20, and if one happened to play both the areas back-to-back then there's a high chance you would make the connection but most people aren't going to remember the exact location of where they found the Dragon stone thing nor make the connection that the statue facing away from them with half it's limbs missing was doing that gesture.
>>344526678
You're missing my point. I like the idea but you can't be expected to remember every minute detail of the environments especially those put off to the side. I'm also not going to believe that you managed to find it on your own if you're going to try and make an argument about Ash Lake being more well hidden. That's literally impossible that you'd try to defend that as "more hidden" and then say that THIS required a sense of exploration . Did getting the worst shield in the game after going through a completely optional section of swamp not tip you off about there being something else there?
>>
>>344527879
You've spent the past 10 minutes trudging through a dark dungeon. To all of a sudden come out to a serene moonlit cliff with a very distinct dragon in a pose on a mat, surrounded by other people, where you get an item that partly transforms you into a dragon should very clearly stick in your mind. They really can't do much more without just giving it away. And the fact it's facing away and towards the very prominent mountain in the distance is just even more telling.
>you can't be expected to remember every minute detail
That is why it is a secret area.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.