[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does everyone feel about on rails shooters? Is there a market
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: Time_Crisis_II_2.jpg (71 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Time_Crisis_II_2.jpg
71 KB, 800x600
How does everyone feel about on rails shooters? Is there a market for them? I don't think I've seen one since KI:U, and am working on making one. Do people still like these things?
>>
>>344483267
there was Star Fox Zero. People hated it.

The genre itself is unpopular, because the buzzword of the decade is open-world. Nobody wants to be constricted to a tightly designed string of encounters, getting killed repeatedly and asked to improve their twitch reactions and memorization skills.
>>
>>344483267

> Nobody wants to be constricted to a tightly designed string of encounters

Is that so? That's honestly my preference, but I can definitely see that being the case.
>>
>>344483267
i would love a new classic style on rails shooter like TC series or HOTD, but we would need guns that work with HD tvs.

we have stuff, blue estate is one i picked up, but it is annoying to play with just the controller
>>
>>344484591
How would you feel about web camera tracking a color cutout? That's what I'm working with so far. Obviously VR would be better, but I think there's appeal to using a webcam, which everyone already has, especially on laptops.
>>
>>344483267

on rails shooters and light gun games are not the same thing you faggot
>>
>>344485032
but lightgun games are on rails anon
its always set paths that you have an A or B, like HOTD2
>>
>>344485032

>>344485629
this, it's exactly the same. KI:U is pretty close too, since it has an explicit targeter.
>>
>>344484390
no you dont. you think its gonna be fun to play counterstrike if the ai walks for you?
>>
>>344484390
I like it too, my post was meant to be sarcastic.

But we're not allowed to have those anymore, everything has to be non-linear, open-ended, open-world, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING, "run in guns blazing or take a more stealthy approach", drop-in-drop-out co-op, etc.

I don't play video games to become immersed in a fantasy world, I play them because they're games with rules, and I like figuring out how to win at games. All these open-world games aren't fun, you just fuck around and no whatever you want and there's no consequence or challenge or sense of victory. it's just wanking off for 20 hours and then posting about it on facebook.

The day video games left the arcade and entered the home was the first step towards the end. that's when the casualization began.
>>
>>344485629
The rail part is identical but how you avoid damage and interact with the games are different.

Lightgun games let you avoid damage by either preventing it entirely(Just shooting things out of the air, killing enemies before you get hit, ducking under cover if it's Time Crisis)

On rail shooters let you have more agency when it comes to dodging since what you play as is on screen or at least allows you to actively dodge things.

I don't think there's any real market for stuff like Time Crisis anymore since arcades are dead. There is definitely a market for on rail shooters
>>
>>344486105
so what are your favorite games. since those are really what you like, youve scoured the net and market and found those that most cosely fit the bill, correct?
>>
>>344486495
Like I said, planning on using webcams to detect colors as lightgun substitute. Object tracking has come a long way. Think that would feel good enough?

Also thinking about controlling fire with a microphone, but would that be too goofy to force people to yell "bang" to shoot?
>>
>>344487658
why not partially squinting. just twitch that muscle like your almost gonna blink
>>
>>344483267
>Time Crisis
Fuck yeah. Also KI:U was an excellent game so anything in that vein would definitely be well received, I'm a huge of of more traditional on-rails as well
>>
>>344487826
lol half squint like 10 times real quick, which do you think is more annoying?

>>344486105
I don't think there's anything wrong with casualization, some of the hardest games out there have easy modes. I think it's just lazier development.
>>
>>344488347
saying bang outloud ten times.
>>
>>344488747
to clarify: we blink all day. we dont yell all day.

you can lose a voice, you cant really lose a blink. think about it. ever heard, ever, of someone saying they lost their blinks?
>>
>>344483267
>How does everyone feel about on rails shooters?
no different than FPS -- braindeadware
>>
File: 3x3.jpg (342 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
3x3.jpg
342 KB, 920x920
>>344486595
I'm not saying these are the greatest games of all time, or the hardest, but they're my favorites.

>>344488347
It's not so much the difficulty I'm talking about, it's the lack of focus. Most modern games attempt to do everything, and do it all rather poorly.
>>
>>344483267
No, railshooters - and it's sub-genres - aren't popular. People always write it off with the analogy "a first person shooter where you can't move." Which is a shame, because they're not designed like that at all.

I fucking love the Sin and Punishment games, I've been meaning to try out similar games like the Panzar Dragoon series.
>>
>>344489012
well, almost every single one of those games allow you to choose where you walk
>>
File: is this nigga serious.jpg (21 KB, 160x270) Image search: [Google]
is this nigga serious.jpg
21 KB, 160x270
>>344489105
most of these games don't technically involve "walking". you haven't even played any of them, have you? Go home.

Yes, freedom of movement is a thing. I never claimed that rail shooters were the be-all-end-all. But take a game of basketball - the players have freedom to act within the rules of the court, they attempt to win without other considerations. This is engaging, challenging, and "fun".

If you let the players just fuck off and go to the food court, try to climb the hoops, or just punt the ball into the stands, it isn't fun anymore. And modern games are like that, that's what they expect the players want to do - so they don't even bother to develop interesting mechanics and rules, they just hand you the ball and wink, then give you a candy bar if you get self-motivated enough to actually make a basket.
>>
>>344489736
yeah, 6 of them. you know the majority. and your focusing too hard on "walking". the point is, those are not on rails. you can decide to move left, or right. not just forward.. btw anakins pod a shit
>>
File: who are you kidding.jpg (26 KB, 397x596) Image search: [Google]
who are you kidding.jpg
26 KB, 397x596
>>344490142
Now you're not even reading my posts. I can only assume you are a child, or willfully ignorant.

I was hoping you were going to try and recommend some games to me based on my tastes, because I'm sure there's some gem out there I've missed. But it seems you just want to quibble about the definition on on-rails and such.

It doesn't matter, I never intended to make the point that on-rails games are superior to all other games. If you think there is a binary difference between open-world and on-rails, then you must indeed have mental problems. I'm not going to re-state things I've already said just so that you can pretend to mis-interpret them again.

Get some sleep, and study hard tomorrow. Maybe you'll get into a good school some day.
>>
Only works in the arcades.
>>
>>344488885
My great grandpappy lost his blinks back in 1902.
>>
Was TC4 any good?
>>
>>344483718
>Nobody wants to be constricted to a tightly designed string of encounters, getting killed repeatedly and asked to improve their twitch reactions and memorization skills.
>dark souls
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.