[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gothic like games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (224 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
224 KB, 1280x1024
I finished Gothic 1 and 2 not too long ago and fucking loved them like all hell. What are some games like them as I hear 3 and 4 are pretty bad and I'm starved for more games like these.

Gothic/older rpgs thread I guess? If you want?
>>
>>344474143
Try Arcania.
>>
Bound by Flame
Demonicon
>>
Don't buy Risen (or so they say).
>>
>>344474143
RISEN
>>
>>344474408
>>344474630
Funny, when it comes to Risen these are always the responses I get so I'm not sure who to believe
>>
>>344474630
I never tried it, but it was pretty bashed by reviewers all around the world. Was it that bad?
>>
>>344474143
Risen is pretty similar, it's definitely a flawed gem in my book. I've heard Risen 2 and 3 are awful though so I haven't played them.
>>
>>344474740
Risen 1 was unfinished but good. Risen 2 apparently was shit. Risen 3 I have heard mixed opinions but it's better than 2 for sure.
>>
>>344474143
if you liked the whole dark fantasy ruthless world you could, if you haven't already, try witcher 1, it nails the theme perfectly.
>>
>>344474703
Risen's really clunky and incredibly generic despite the pirate theme.
>>
>>344474143

3 is ok, make sure you patch it including the community patches. The addon to 3 is where things really went south. Main game gets a bad rep for an atrocious launch but it was still a PB game at heart and I enjoyed it very much.

Risen 1 was is also an option but avoid the sequels.

Two World 2 was made by people who clearly grew up playing gothic.
>>
Risen. First game is GOAT. Second is okay, could have been great but the combat is fucking abysmal. 3 has better combat but a worse setting than 2. Still a pretty good game, far more gothic than 2 was.
1 and 2 are really cheap now anyway
>>344474337
I wanted to like Bound by Flame but that combat... I just couldn't do it. I might pick it up again and just bite the pillow
>>
>>344474267
Arcania any good?
>>344475550
while I would recommend TW1 to anyone, I wouldn't say its Gothic like at all
>>
>>344474143
1 and 2 doesn't work on steam. What gives? I really need to stop buying older games on steam.
>>
>>344477985
hopeless, dark world gone to shit? there are heavy inspirations taken from gothic, because the devs played the shit out of it. They even mentioned that in one interview I read before the TW2 release
>>
>>344477985
Don't play this game, if you're here because of Gothic then this game is not a Gothic game: too casualized since it's just an action oriented game with zero roleplay depth, no choices, every new area is a close quest hub with a path closed until you complete the main quest so you can repeat the process and complete piss easy missions and also, oh boy, every fucking quest is a fetch quest.
Stealth is also useless since there are no stealing mechanics, magic is useless and all you need is a two handed weapon and roll forever.

No, this is not a Gothic game, avoid it.
>>
>>344474143
3 is fine with the community patch. It's a step-down from the second part, but definitely enjoyable.

Four is trash, a mediocre RPG on its own at best. Not made by the same studio anyway.

As somebody already suggested, give Risen a try - in my opinion the last good game PB has made. Feels a lot like Gothic 2 on a tropical island.

>>344477985
>Arcania any good?

Arcania is the other name for "Gothic" 4, unless he's referring to another game.

>>344478286
Buy it from gog.
>>
>>344478627
I wont bother then
>>344478930
I thought they removed Gothic from the title?
>>
File: G4_logo.png (611 KB, 1593x796) Image search: [Google]
G4_logo.png
611 KB, 1593x796
>>344479530
>I thought they removed Gothic from the title?

Not entirely, pic related.
>>
>>344474740
reviewer around the world would bash gothic if they were made with modern graphic in this day and age. They only accept tes games or souls games as 3rd person action rpg.
>>
apparently there was some russian game which was essentially a gothic mod I forget the name though and its probably not translated

Nehrim mod for oblivion turns oblivion into gothic. Its good, but its still oblivion in many areas.
>>
Give me a ranking of the Gothic games, anons. I've never played them, but I've wanted to.

I've got a copy of the first that I'll look into trying out later tonight. I sure hope I'm not pulling a [game series where the first game is vastly inferior to the second or third games],
>>
>>344474143
Risen 1&2

Risen 1 is very authentic to the Gothic 1 & 2 experience, Risen 2 has issues but still a fantastic atmosphere and interesting gameplay (esp. pre-patch), it was one of my best gaming experiences of that year and was very unfairly treated by reviewers and Gothic players.

Risen 3 is garbage, but so is the Gothic fanbase so they're completely blind to how bad Risen 3 is and will praise it more than Risen 2.

And yeah, some Gothic fans can't stop spouting non-sense on this board, good luck separating bullshit from the rest.
>>
>>344482647
Right. Patapon. Patapon was what I was thinking. It's a game where the second and third games are apparently much better.

I've also played Risen. Risen was interesting, but I didn't latch on when I first started playing. I still feel urges to play that again.
>>
>>344482647
2>1>3
>>
>>344482974
Okay, I can get a copy of 2.

Are we talking 2>>>1, or just 2>1?
>>
>>344483207
Nah it's more 2=1 than 2>>>>>>1

It's like comparing Fallout 1 and fallout 2
>>
>>344482647
See >>344482974

2 is godlike with its add-on. It's the pinnacle of the series. 1 is still very good, and much better than 3, which isn't bad, but mediocre by Gothic standards. 4 can hardly ever be considered a Gothic game, it's not made by the same guys and you can easily spot that. It's also easily the worst title. Just start with Risen after 3.
>>
Witcher 3 is actually the first game that gave me a similar world feel in a long time. Might have something to do with familiar fauna and flota and running into OP monsters in the woods when youre just starting
>>
>>344474703
Risen 1 plays like gothic for the first 3/4 of the game. The ending part contains a lot of backtracking and running around collecting stuff. Otherwise it's very good.

Risen 2 on the other hand i shit and so is Arcania. I haven't played Risen 3.
>>
>>344482647
2 with expansion is glorious. 1 is very good and I'd advise you to play it in order of release, because you meet most of characters from 1 in 2 and you play as the same guy. There are many mentions of the story of first game.
>>
>>344483331
>>344483402
>>344485783
Well, that's good. Thanks for the advice, anons.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.