[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question regarding melee and game development in general.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png (151 KB, 250x349) Image search: [Google]
Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png
151 KB, 250x349
I have a question regarding melee and game development in general.
One of the big reasons people continue play melee is because of its depth. But all of the depth the game has is because of glitches. Objectively speaking, the game is a pretty buggy, unfinished mess. Its just fortunate that sone of these bugs made the game good.

So is it fair to say something like "melee is a good game" when most of the reasons it is good was accidental?

And Im not trying to start a debate regarding the game's quality outside of the glitchy part and competitive scene, as I do like it the most out of any smash games.
>>
I'd say that it depends on the perspective you're looking at it from. If you look at it from how it plays and what you're getting out of it, any bugs or glitches are taken as what how they add/detract from the game.
Outside of that if you're looking at it from the lens of how polished the game is, then bugs or glitches can't be good since its accidental and not supposed to be there.
>>
If u take out the glitches, it still plays much better than other smash. Get your head out of your ass
>>
N64 smash > Melee
there I fucking said it
>>
>>344466151
Nah the game is still great even without glitches.

Having the glitches just made it more competitive.
>>
name a glitch that is RELEVANT in competitive play without saying wavedash
>>
>>344466761
If the n64s analog stick wasnt ass... maybe
>>
>>344466151
That's how Street Fighter II kicked off
>>
>>344467178
https://youtu.be/uEA9QSM1BUU
>>
>>344467609
>"my sausage fingers lack the physical capacity to play the game"
>>
>>344467723
none of these are glitches, and just complaining about hitboxes
>>
>>344466151
>glitches
Exploits. Exploiting intentional design choices to optimize your gameplay is not a glitch.
>>
>>344467723
>Melee isn't a perfect game

Holy shit, get this guy a pulitzer
>>
>>344467723
amazing respon

but would you like to name a glitch that is RELEVANT in competitive play without saying wavedash
>>
Only a few actual "glitches" are relevant. If you take wavedashing out, you still have dashdancing, shffling, and crouch cancel, and melee remains deep on its inherent properties as a game alone.

99% of the shit that makes it interesting is just a result of how its engine works. The majority of /v/, especially those who bash the game, have no idea how Melee works on a deeper level.

There is a high technical demand to play the game, but it's all in the intricacies of movement, of which wavedashing is merely one aspect. It's not a race to glitch your way to the win screen like most of GDQ these days
>>
Its still the best in the franchise without the autistic glitches. It's just the speed and mechanics make it legit more fluid and fun, and give players more defensive options. Smash 4 feels so clunky, slow, and contrived compared to Melee and PM's gameplay. You as a player have less options to respond to your opponents actions, and as a result, most matches play out more or less tge same. It's very streamlined and simplified.

This is why people want Sakura to pull his head out of his own ass when designing Smash games, because designing the game good doesn't mean streamlining. Casuals can also enjoy and feel how much better Melee plays compared to 4. And if you aren't lazy, and add an online Ranking system and proper matchmaking, then the game is instantly accessible to players of all llevels.

There is literally no reason for any of this NOT to be done.
>>
>>344468273
Wobbling can't be intended.
>>
>>344466151
If you accidentally spilled some paint and it miraculously turned into an amazing painting, the painting would still be amazing. Likewise, a game is still good if some accidents improved the game. However, it would be fair to criticize the developers because they fucked up.

Melee has some glitches but most got fixed by 1.02 and all the glitches are rather obscure and irrelevant. Glitches don't make melee much better or worse at all.
>>
>>344468626
the games mechanics allow grab escapes to be reset
the fact that they didnt consider the implications of this in terms of the ice climbers doesnt make it a bug
its stupid but its not a bug
>>
>>344468273
No fucking way is multi shining intended
>>
>>344468626
>>344468943
Exploiting game mechanics are not the same thing as glitches

In those 2 cases, the game is working as intended but producing an unexpected result
>>
>>344468891
The problem with smash is that more thought needed to be put into the game from a competitive standpoint. Look at Guilty Gear. What smash needed was to look at melee, and look st what new mechanics could be added to fix some of the inherent balance issues found in the game, shit like grab parries, and combo breakers, balanced inputs for counters, etc... But since Brawl and Smash 4 decided to just trash it all, and go for campy casual appeal, none of this ever took place. Melee never evolved. Melee is the best in the franchise, but hardly perfect.

It's tge equivalent of SSFII vanilla, or Guilty Gear X, never getting to the superior XX or SFII. Great game, but with untapped potential.
>>
>>344469707
>SFIII*
Fuck mobile devices.
>>
File: 1417066205454.png (7 KB, 217x168) Image search: [Google]
1417066205454.png
7 KB, 217x168
>>344469707
>Super Turbo Super Smash Bros Melee For the Nintendo Gamecube
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.