[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It makes me uncomfortable how otherwise-offline games now re
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: UrsusArctosHorribilis.jpg (47 KB, 767x521) Image search: [Google]
UrsusArctosHorribilis.jpg
47 KB, 767x521
It makes me uncomfortable how otherwise-offline games now require a constant connection to the teat of some company's server to use the product I purchased.

I paid for the game, I should be able to play it.

I shouldn't have to click through ads to launch my game, nor wait for an unavoidable 2.5gb 'update' when I want to play my game. It was working just fine before the update, and that is what I want to play. It doesn't need to be updated.

>B-b-b-b-but we improved it!

You can buy a physical disk of a game at the store, go home and attempt to play it, and find that the CD you just bought is no more than a hyperlink. It assumes that a 8.6gb download is quick and easy and everybody is on fiber internet.

I don't care about stats, I don't care about matched games, I don't care about multiplayer, nor the cheaters I might encounter. I just want to play my game.

Imagine if you go out to start your car, and you have to first sign in with Fakebook, create a new account on BlackMidgetSinglesMeet.com, and then wait for download before you can start the car you paid for. I don't see how any of this is legal.

One day, the server-teat will no longer exist, and the game you bought is now unplayable and worthless.

Nobody seems to really care, either, because 'that's just the way it is.'
>>
>>344457116
>Nobody seems to really care, either, because 'that's just the way it is.'

yep
>>
>>344457116
You can turn off updates but you chose not to. This is entirely your fault
>>
None of it was really yours. How far do you have to walk down that road before you see where it leads?
>>
>>344457458
You actually can't anymore. They changed it. You can either "update automatically" or "update when I start the game". But yeah, it's the way it is and it's still up to the developer to allow playing without Steam. The Witcher 3 and Arma 3 for example both can be started via the .exe in the game folder without Steam running in the background.
>>
>>344457704
You actually can by starting in offline mode. Your fault
>>
>>344457116
I bet you subscribe to total biscunt.
Look faggot, constantly online games are good for:
>fucking pirates, how many people pirate D3?
>delivering new content
>removing load from your PC
>game is a service, not a one-off purchase

I'm sorry you're stuck in the past with your optical media, but there's literally no downsides to always-on games.
>>
>>344457820
>>removing load from your PC
how

>>game is a service, not a one-off purchase
how is this good
>>
>>344457796
>offline mode always work
ok
>>
>>344457820

>But the pirates!

Pirates are none of my concern. I bought a game, and want to play it. I'm not playing multi-player, and don't care about what other people do.

It's like how TV manufacturers advertise how a feature you should look for when buying a new TV is DHCP compliance to fight the pirates. Its a benefit to the manufacturer, not me. If I'm not a pirate, DHCP is pointless.

>Deliver new content

I don't want the new content. I bought the game, and want to play what I paid for. If I wanted the new content, I'd connect and electively download it.
>>
>>344458753
Get over it faggot
>>
>>344457458
>>344457574
>>344457796
>>344457820
>>344459141

What the fuck happened to /v/? Is it defeat?
>>
>>344459141

You remember that, when Ford notifies you that your car's ECU has to receive its monthly update and won't start until you get it connected. Keep making those payments on it, though.

Its a dangerous precedent, but I'm just an old faggot who just can't get with the times, I guess.
>>
>>344459267
>Everything I am complaining about can be avoided and fixed by changing some settings
>Yet I am still complaining because I am an idiot who can't into settings
>Wahhh, why does nobody agree with me?
>>
File: heavy_rain.jpg (162 KB, 682x508) Image search: [Google]
heavy_rain.jpg
162 KB, 682x508
>I shouldn't have to

No, you don't want to. There's a difference.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.