[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wow, what a bitch. Probably the most selfish character I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 12
File: SOMA-catherine.jpg (297 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SOMA-catherine.jpg
297 KB, 1920x1080
Wow, what a bitch. Probably the most selfish character I've seen in a long time.
>>
She's not really selfish at all. She wants to send the ark up knowing that it will not mean anything and just be a tiny speck of hope for "Humanity" in space.
>>
>>344454657
How exactly is she selfish?

Calculating and anti-social sure, but her entire goal was more or less save the remains of humanity.
>>
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
Why didn't they just let WAU take the Ark?

Why didn't they just a use USB to download themselves?

Why was the one guy able to teleport around magically and why was he able to remain independent?

What the duck was up with the one guy who pulled his eyes out?

There was a lot of shit that went unexplained.
>>
the guy who pulled his eyes out was tainted by WAU wasn't he? I also didn't get that teleporting guy either and whats really wierd is that the kill him off when you finally meet him.
>>
>selfish
>sending the ark up knowing that she's going to be left behind

>while retarded simon wouldn't have helped if he understood that there was a 100% chance of one of him being left behind.
>>
>>344457473
>Why didn't they just let WAU take the Ark?
Because the WAU would have corrupted it.

>Why didn't they just a use USB to download themselves?
Congrats, you missed the entire point of the game.

>Why was the one guy able to teleport around magically and why was he able to remain independent?
Simon is a robot affected by the WAU creatures / Johan's EMP fields. They're not warping around Simon's just glitching out.

>What the duck was up with the one guy who pulled his eyes out?
He went crazy from isolation and eating WAU goop.

>There was a lot of shit that went unexplained.
You're just not very attentive.
>>
>>344457881

This, more or less.

The dumbass is even shown on more than one occasion that a copy, not a move, but he still has his cry when it comes time.
>>
>>344457473
>Why didn't they just let WAU take the Ark?
Because WAU programming didn't consider it to be a viable way of preserving humanity. It boils down to the fact that WAU has limited understanding of what "human" really is.

>Why didn't they just a use USB to download themselves?
What exactly do you mean? Their consciousnesses? This is not how it works. You can't "transfer" a file, you can olny make a copy of it and optionally delete the original file in the proccess.

>Why was the one guy able to teleport around magically and why was he able to remain independent?
None of the WAU creations are truly under its direct control- most of them just went crazy because their new bodies are toonon-human.

Ross is literally a reanimated corpse, much like Simon is. That's the reason why both of the are sane, although Simon was a lot more successful in that.

And he's not actually teleportating around, he just shows you images of himself, probably related to the fact that you are pretty much a corpse with some electronics in it.

>What the duck was up with the one guy who pulled his eyes out?
He was eating structure gel since there was nothing esle to eat. If eaten in big amounts, it causes crippling sensitivity to light and insanity. You do the math.

>There was a lot of shit that went unexplained.
Nah, you just weren't paying enough attention.
>>
>>344458303
I'm talking about the guy that wanted you to kill WAU smartass.
>>
>>344454657
She was a little selfish, but she was just trying to fulfill the only purpose she had left in what had become a meaningless existence. "Saving humanity" gave her meaning. And it was easier for her to overlook Simon's struggles because her consciousness switched off every time she wasn't plugged in. So the whole journey felt shorter for her.

>>344457881
And yeah it was silly that Simon still thought he was going to get onto the ark after already being aware that he was a copy. Guess he was just in denial because the truth was too scary.
>>
>>344458409
What happens if you link both conscousnesses first?
>>
>>344457881
>>344458320
I think Simon isn't retarded, he just can't understand that he is going to lose the coin toss eventually.

I mean think about it, Simon #3 ha his consciousness transferred 2 times already. It worked for him. He remembers it working for him.

And by that logic Simon #4 does still think that everything went fine.
>>
>>344458518
His name is Johan dumbass
>>
>>344458853
Could you elaborate a bit? I don't really get what you are trying to say.
>>
>finally get to meet the last living human
>the devs skimp out on her animation budget
Couldn't believe it
>>
>>344458976
You link both consciousnesses so you are aware of your state in rl then your state in vr. Then you kill off the brain while still linked.

Be like giving yourself brain damage but it stays in a singularity.
>>
>>344458878

there is no "coin toss." every copy is independent, he just can't grasp that concept because hes a fucking retard and every copy would be him "winning" the coin toss.
>>
>>344459095
Well you killed the other one first technically.
>>
>>344458409
>You can't "transfer" a file, you can olny make a copy of it and optionally delete the original file in the proccess.

So if I move my pics from one folder to another im actually just copying them? Its literally impossible to just move data around around?
>>
>>344459292
Yes
>>
>>344459189
>You link both consciousnesses so you are aware of your state in rl then your state in vr
That would just make a 3rd copy. Shit sucks but that's how computers work.

>>344459292
>So if I move my pics from one folder to another im actually just copying them?
Yes.

>Its literally impossible to just move data around around?
Think about it. By moving data around you are not really moving it, you are just imprinting a copy of it to a different place on whatever data storage device you are using.
>>
>>344459189
You would still die because you still wouldn't be the person in VR. It's just a copy of you, mate. Think of it as a literal clone of you. If you get a clone of yourself made and you die, you're still dead.
>>
File: johan_ross.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
johan_ross.png
1 MB, 1024x768
>>344458928
>the only character in a game to share my first name
>he's a reanimated corpse

He's pretty cool I guess.

>THIS IS WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG, SIMON
>THIS IS WHERE WE PLANTED THE SEED TO THE CANCER THAT'S EATING PATHOS-II
>IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE LIKE THIS. NO ONE TOLD US THIS COULD HAPPEN.
>YOU ARE THE SNAKE, SIMON. NOW STRIKE AT THE HEART.
>>
>>344459292
correct. Even the data stored on your drive and the data stored in RAM are different copies of the same data. Depending on how robo-simon works he could technically be destroying and creating copies of himself within the same body several million times per second.
>>
>>344458878
There is no coin toss, you always "lose". It's a 100% chance of failing. If you're the conscience reading this message, then you are not the person that will be in the VR.
>>
>>344459672
I'm still confused by the whole snake and Simon shit.

Also why did Ross still want to kill you after you kill WAU?
>>
>>344459561
>you are just imprinting a copy of it to a different place on whatever data storage device you are using

why is it impossible to move data? I find it highly unlikely that new data would have to be created every time you want to move something instead of just taking the already excisting data and moving it
>>
>>344459229
>there is no "coin toss."
I know, it's just a figure of speech.

Both Simons will have the exact same memories from the moment before the transfer, that's why his 3rd copy got used to being the "winner".

I think he did in fact inderstand that, he was probably just extremaly frustrated and delusional. I don't blame him.
>>
>>344458878
>I mean think about it, Simon #3 ha his consciousness transferred 2 times already. It worked for him. He remembers it working for him.

But he didn't though. Think of it.

Simon #1 got his brain scanned and put on file. He didn't get transferred; he eventually succumbed to his brain injury and died, meaning that you actually switch to Simon #2 relatively quickly on in the game.

Simon #2 did way better than Simon #1, but eventually they needed the better diving suit. This one was a bigger give away, since Simon #3 actually becomes conscious fast enough to hear that Simon #2 is still talking, trying to understand why the transfer didn't work. Then, before there's a huge existential crisis, Simon #2 becomes unconscious and you have the choice to leave him to eventually wake up and keep on being Simon #2 or kill him off.

At this point, Simon #3 has had the experience of 2 other Simons, and has experienced that the transfer isn't actually a transfer, but instead a copy.

At the end of the game, the only thing that changes is we keep playing as Simon #3 after the transfer has happened. We get to watch as Simon #3 comes to understand that by "transfer to the ark", what was really meant is that there's now a a Simon #4 walking (er... "walking") around in there, with all the memories and experiences of Simon 1, 2, and 3.

There's no "coin toss" for the characters, I think Catherine was just hoping that they'd die soon enough after that they wouldn't have to deal with it. The only person who "lost" the coin toss is the player, who got stuck with Simon #3, at least until the finale.
>>
>>344459882
Yeah, it's a lot to take in when you go from having a brain scan to being in some sort of sci fi post apocalyptic future. I probably wouldn't put 2 and 2 together either.
>>
>>344458518
>>344457473
>why was he able to remain independent?
Most of the WAU creatures operated independently - many were just insane and extremely dangerous.Simon and Catherine are WAU creations.
>>
>>344459859
It's a figure of speech. It's a coin toss in the sense that after the transfer is done you are as likely to be your copy as you are to be real "you" (not objectively, just from your own point of view), since you both have the same memories up to this point.
>>
>>344459869
To get rid of all traces of WAU
>>
>>344459869
The whole "you are the snake" bit is because Simon was injected with the altered structure gel that was programmed to fuck the WAU up. I don't remember why Ross wanted to kill Simon after that, exactly. I guess it could have something to do with Simon still running around with his body full of structure gel programmed by the WAU.
>>
>>344459959
I'm still of two minds about that ending. On one hand, I'm glad they showed Simon #4. On the other, god damn would it be powerful if they didn't.
>>
>>344460127
Yeah, but that term has made a lot of people think there actually is a literal 50% chance of your conscience magically being transferred somewhere else.
>>
>>344459869
Because Simon was infected by the WAU, and would've spread it if he continued "living".
>>
>>344455184
>save humanity
>puts them as data on a memory card

lel, if she wanted to save humanity she would've found a way to kill the whau
>>
>>344460321
But by that logic...all of them would. Like it didnt stop that fucking fish.
>>
>>344459874
>why is it impossible to move data?
Because computer data is not a physical palpable thing. It's an imprint, a scheme made in something. The onyl way to move that is to move the whole data storage device.

>I find it highly unlikely that new data would have to be created every time you want to move something instead of just taking the already excisting data and moving it
Well that's how it works unfortunately.
>>
>>344459959
I'm guessing the devs meant us to think that Simon #3 thought that Simon #2 was a copy and that he (#3) was a transfered brain scan, not an actual copy?

As in, he thought there were transfers until the end.
>>
>>344460342
She was a fucking angry autismo that wanted to make everyone a robot just like her. Wouldn't surprise me if she put some kind of ducking program that let her godmode her VR world.
>>
>>344460342
No option actually saves humanity. She just wants to have the peace of mind that there's an her out there that is having a resemblance of a human life.
>>
>>344460406
Well who's to say Ross wasn't going to go kill all of them after killing you?
>>
>>344460127
It feels like a lot of people misunderstood that bit. If you were the new copy you wouldn't feel like you were, you'd think you "won" the coin toss because you still remember doing *everything* the previous copy did, thinking or rather feeling like you did it all yourself as the current conciousness. It's kind of fucky but I think it makes sense. Doesn't help that Catherine was a bit of an asperger-ish person (literally, I think) and didn't explain it to Simon more clearly when it was obvious that he didn't get it.
>>
>>344460163

Yeah; that would have been a solid end.

I would have been fine if they had some kind of voice over when they showed the ark for the last time, like Simon asking what happened, pause, and Catherine says "We made it" or somesuch.
>>
>>344459561
>>So if I move my pics from one folder to another im actually just copying them?
>Yes.
Actually, no. Please don't spread misinformation.
>>
>>344460630
And then what? He was going to suicide?
>>
>>344460342
That's why I said "more or less".

>if she wanted to save humanity she would've found a way to kill the whau
How is killing WAU going to save humanity?

If anything WAU is the alst hope for the humanity to survive outside of the Ark, even if it's just a twisted image of itself.

Even better, if WAU created more Simon-tier mockingbirds they could potentially go back to the surface and rebuild/repulate it with more working mockingbirds.

WAU is actually doing a damn good job at preserving humanity. The fact that all of the "humanity" is in constant crushing pain is another matter.
>>
>>344460770
I bet he would, dude was fucking batshit bananas hellbent on destroying anything WAU related.
>>
The designs in this game were fucking phenomenal
WAU goop, conscious robots/cyborg abominations and underwater
There so much cool stuff you could do with this
and just think of all the fetish fuel with Simons body being basically a gynoid
>>
>>344460321
>>344460406

Structure gel infections were dependent on the WAU controlling the structure gel. No more WAU means probably no more spread of WAU-creatures.

I suppose Ross is just tying up loose ends. Simon-3 is composed of structure gel that doesn't have any sort countermeasure so perhaps there's some farfetched scenario where simon finds the will and a means to start infecting things again. Ross was pretty fucking terrified of what the WAU became so it would make sense that he would've taken no chances.

>>344460342
>if she wanted to save humanity she would've found a way to kill the whau
There's no saving humanity, the ARK project is just the last symbolic effort of a bunch of bored, hopeless scientists to preserve some measure of humanity a little longer.

Also catherine doesn't really know a whole bunch about the WAU - Johan Ross is the last being on earth who fully knows what it is and what it's doing, which is why he's the one urging the player to destroy it, not catherine
>>
File: 643633763.jpg (163 KB, 525x409) Image search: [Google]
643633763.jpg
163 KB, 525x409
>>344454657

> tfw when the real interesting story is left out

> our protagonist rises from the depths, supremely more durable than any human and effectively nigh-immortal
> has multiple advanced facilities at his disposal, has all the time in the world to learn how to use them
> duplicates himself hundreds of times, copies take over maintenance, secure power and expand the facilities
> hundreds of years later, when the fires stop, commences terraforming, seeds continental life over again
> millions of years pass, duplicates rotate in and out of consciousness to keep track of the labor and development
> there is once more intelligent life on the planet, the duplicates act as divine rulers
> earth is now literally a pulp fiction book
>>
>>344460447
>>I find it highly unlikely that new data would have to be created every time you want to move something instead of just taking the already excisting data and moving it

That's how it works on computers too.

Cutting a file doesn't actually physically move the ones and zeroes, it just copies it and then frees up the old ones and zeroes for other usage.

It doesn't really even delete the old file, it just makes it so it's sectors can be used by other processes.

It's the same thing that happens with downloading a human consciousness, like, teleporting, it's much easier to just scan and copy the old brain patterns and create completely new one at the other end. McCoy understood this, that is why he hated teleporter.

Because using a teleporter just kills you, no questions asked, you just die, and whatever is at the other end just picks up where you left off, there is literally no way of getting around it, even if you were to transfer all of your matter to the other end, you would still die, the trip would snuff your consciousness.
>>
Wasn't the whole ark thing absolutely pointless?
It's now just sort of a memorial for dead humanity, that no one will ever find or care to look for.
>>
>>344460756
Actually, yes.

Do you not know how copmuter data works? It's not an actual thing by itself.
>>
>>344460342
There is no 'saving humanity'. it's over. All that's left is what happens to the remnants. The Ark was like a bit of archaeology shot into space: any aliens that encountered it could observe it to see what humans were like. The WAU was putting those brain scans into bodies, making a small community of robo-humans to live under the sea untill power and resources ran out.
>>
>>344460949
The game needed more oblivious robot NPCs desu senpai, the one you find that you can shock to open a door was my favorite.
>>
>>344460843
I killed the WAU in my first playthrough but I guess I'm on the same page as you. The thing with the WAU was that it was a pretty primitive AI; it was driven by instincts derived from its programming and wasn't exactly what most people would think of when they hear "sci-fi AI". The big issue was that WAU had no proper definition of the human condition; it merely believed that concious existence was enough, atleast at the start. It showed signs of learning; Simon #2 was proof that it had actually figured out how to not fuck people up completely. It's difficult to say if it could have eventually created some next-level humanity as some sort of structure gel-based lifeform, but it's an idea.
>>
>>344460756
I made that mistake responding to him as well. Didn't read very carefully and figured he was talking about moving data between storage mediums because that's what most people are asking.

>>344459292
>So if I move my pics from one folder to another
Moving data from one folder to another isn't analogous to moving data from one device to another.
>>
>>344460673
Simon 4 had it made. Catherine puss on the regs, in paradise for eternity. Simon 3 is trapped in Phi, on the bottom of the sea on his own.
>>
>>344461278
>Simon 3 is trapped in Phi, on the bottom of the sea on his own.

And he can't even masturbate himself to death.
>>
>>344461074
Aliens. They were counting on aliens.

Also I must have missed it but why was everyone headless in that one lab?
>>
>>344461064
>Because using a teleporter just kills you, no questions asked, you just die, and whatever is at the other end just picks up where you left off, there is literally no way of getting around it, even if you were to transfer all of your matter to the other end, you would still die, the trip would snuff your consciousness.
And the worst part is, no one even realizes that because the new copy is a perfect copy.

Shit's scary. If we ever invent teleportation, I'm never going to use it.
>>
>>344461094
>>344460976
BETTER DEAD THAN RED...er black?

it's red pill vs blue pill all over again fuck that shit, Catherine should've just embraced the end of humanity instead of putting her fellow scientist and simon through all that shit.
>>
>>344460983
that would have been stupid. The game's atmosphere and plot hinges on the hopeless death of humanity not MUH GLORIOUS TRANSHUMANIST FUTURE
>>
>>344460756
>>344461076

It depends; the OS decides whether or not the data has to be copied or if you can just make an icon in the new location that points back to the same data. If it can't get away with just making that new shortcut, it'll actually copy the data to a new location and then delete the old copy.

In regards to the thread, that'd be equivalent of Simon suddenly, and quite temporarily, having two bodies that share one mind.
>>
>>344461357
Yeah, give me a space shuttle any day.

Alternatively, just make the trip clone me, if I'm needed at the other end of the galaxy, they can just copy me.
>>
>>344461076
Lol you seriously think making a move operation always copies your data? Try moving a big file around, it's an almost instantaneous operation. Moving only changes the file's metadata.

>>344461249
Yeah, moving files and changing their position in a directory structure is quite different, though I can't exactly pinpoint why right now
>>
>>344461490
>In regards to the thread, that'd be equivalent of Simon suddenly, and quite temporarily, having two bodies that share one mind.

That happens in the game, and it's not temporary.
>>
>>344461357
I want sci-fi where morals and ethics have corroded and death is so common and high technology like teleportation are really common and everyone knows how it works but no one just gives a fuck
could be pretty creepy
>>
>>344461392
>Catherine should've just embraced the end of humanity instead of putting her fellow scientist and simon through all that shit
That's exactly how several of the survivors of Pathos-II felt.
>>
>>344461278

Sorry; I meant that in the context of we're hearing Simon 4.0 and Catherine ????.0 speaking to each other on the ark.
>>
>>344461392
What a defeatist way of thinking.
>>
>>344461074

The point of it is, for whatever its worth, the consciousnes of many people is on there. People are in there, though not their real bodies. Humanity keeps on existing in this form for now.

>>344461352

The things in their heads that simon could usually listen to exploded. I forgot what they were called.
>>
>>344461074
are you autistic?
>>
>>344461352
I think the WAU was making those memory chip things in their heads explode for some reason.
Not 100% sure though.
>>
>>344461503
>Alternatively, just make the trip clone me, if I'm needed at the other end of the galaxy, they can just copy me.
That could lead to a potential disaster.

Think about it. If you know that you are going to be cloned, the clone is going to know that he is in fact a clone and has no hope of living your life. He might even attempt to kill you and take your place.
>>
>>344461623

... maybe I'm forgetting. When did that happen?

It'd have to be a point where there were two copies of simon occupied the same device/suit for them both to share the same "mind".
>>
>>344461748
Blackbox. But why?
>>
>>344460983
>has multiple advanced facilities at his disposal, has all the time in the world to learn how to use them
You mean until his batteries run out and there's no way to recharge them because he's pretty much a caveman and the only thing that healed him is dead/would eventually kill him?
>>
>>344461352
their blackboxes exploded simultaneously, i forget why. also why you can't hear their "recordings"
>>
>>344461810
>He might even attempt to kill you and take your place.

Clone me with a bomb collar then.

Or out of volatile proto-matter that decays after a week or something.

Now THAT would spell dystopian disaster.
>>
>>344461810
Man, I HATE the "clones are evil" meme. Most people would be delighted to have an identical twin
>>
>>344461074
>It's now just sort of a memorial for dead humanity, that no one will ever find or care to look for.
So just like actual humanity then?
>>
>>344461352
Basically what >>344461763 said. The people at Omicron all had their heads exploded by the WAU because they were planning on destroying it with the altered structure gel. It wasn't a malicious act or anything, it was just following it's directive and their actions threatened its efforts to save humanity.
>>
>>344461074
When everything is pointless, it's the small victories that count.
>>
>>344461415

whatever edgelord
>>
>>344461874
>>344461903
Because the people in that zone knew too much, WAU killed them all.
>>
>>344461871
When Simon copies himself into the pressure suit.

The previous simon is still alive with his consciousness.

You then have an option to kill the previous version or let it wake up all confus.
Both those Simons share the same consciousness prior to the split.
>>
>>344461917
On a big scale, it still could led to rare but fucked up accidents.

>>344461950
I'm nto saying this would be the case 100% of the time, but as you said, MOST people would be delighted. Not all of them.

I would probably accept being a clone. I can't say everyone would.
>>
>>344461810
That sounds stupid.
If I were just cloned and I kept all my memories, I'd go "Hey original me, thanks for creating me and giving me the ability to live life!"

Although I would be worried making a clone of myself because he'd have every memory I have. Feels like a pretty big breach in privacy. Literally "Trust no one, not even yourself" memery.
>>
>>344462145
They don't share conciousness. They share identical conciousness'. They are diffrent albeit identical people.
>>
>>344461348
He could try, but he's the reanimated headless corpse of a woman in a deep sea pressure suit.
>>
>>344461874

I forgot, but it was connected with when they brought in Ross, and wau revived him. Either it was the strong influance of the wau in the building, or it was ross attempting to communicate with them, because he did say he tried. There are some computers/laptops that say how they all got headaches that got more and more sever etc, but i forgot the details of it all to be honest.
>>
>>344462225
Again, this is your reaction only. Not everyone is going to react like you.

I said it could lead to a potential disaster, not an assured one.
>>
>>344462345
Sure, but if we live our life based on potential disasters, we're being silly.

This is no different than saying "I shouldn't go to the supermarket because some asshole might shoot it up, there are people out there that want to do it"
>>
>>344461357
Consciousness isn't a physical thing you can copy. Copying the body supporting a consciousness doesn't copy the consciousness. Nothing about the consciousness changes if you copy its body and remove the original
>>
>>344461763
>>344461903
>I think the WAU was making those memory chip things in their heads explode for some reason
Yep. WAU was snooping on them and figured out Johan was using EM waves and the blackbox tech to "psychically" instruct herbie how to kill the WAU. WAU blew em all up when herbie was putting on the deep sea suit to protect itself.

IMO it's a weaker point in the plot. The major defining characteristic of the WAU is that it's trying to preserve whatever the hell it thinks "humanity" is - but here it is killing a bunch of people. You can kind of justify it as the WAU acting "for the greater good" or just the WAU being an incomprehensible intelligence, but since the WAU itself is generally passive through most of the game it irks me that in one instance it just ices a bunch of humans.
>>
>>344462225
Yeah. but consider you're... Let's say there is a machine on a planet far far away that only you can fix, but it is so far away that there is no way for you to get there in time.

In this rare circumstance, it's preferable that that colony gets a copy of YOU with all of your knowledge.

From that point on, that version of you will serve the greater good in that colony, fuck, if you're married, just send your wife too. No one loses anything.

And since of the vast distances, no overlapping will ever take place, because once you agree to it, so will your clone.

You forget that it will have to consent to everything you consent. Fuck, you can send yourself christmas cards, compare the biological accidents that make your children different. Fun times all around.
>>
>>344462490
it was like 10 people come on.
>>
>>344462145

Same consciousness, but a copy of it. To me it's like if you copy a photo onto an SD card; you have a to make a fully, separate copy of the photo. Otherwise the SD card version wouldn't work once you pulled out off the computer.

But I can see it, actually.

I interpreted that as the transfer just made a copy and plopped it into the new suit. If it were a direct link, it does explain why old Simon went unconscious as soon as new Simon got up.
>>
>>344462568
No, I understand that and I completely agree.

But I'm afraid of my other me being a dick and making fun of me/him/us behind my back by sharing past embarrassing stories ;_;
>>
File: Ashley_-_Simon's_Dream.png (336 KB, 1330x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ashley_-_Simon's_Dream.png
336 KB, 1330x1080
What was the point of her?
>>
>>344462490
Shiiieeeeet. WAU'll ice a fool if it has to. Nigga's dangerous.
>>
>>344462678
yeah, 10 of the last few people on Earth.
>>
>>344462490
The WAU is a bit like one of those "force-of-nature" antagonists. It's not truly a sapient being, it has no feelings and no concept of the human condition or what it means to die. It iced those humans because they stood in opposition to it's main directive or even instinct if you will; preserving humanity rather than individual humans no matter the cost. It probably thought it could just put their conciousness' into robots later on anyway because that seemed like an acceptable way of preserving them, though later on it showed that it was learning whatwith Simon #2.
>>
OP confirmed for underage idiot. Though she is sort of antisocial, based on not only interacting ith her but also what you hear about how she was before she died. Also... I wonder how becoming what she became, a purely digital peronality popping in and out of existance, knowing you're not the real you, how that changed or influanced her. They definately made the player assume she would actually betray you or turn out to be evil/wau/... But it wasn't the case.
>>
File: pepe-3.png (179 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
pepe-3.png
179 KB, 550x550
>>344462678
WAU pls go.
>>
>>344462831
She's the WAU idiot.
>>
>>344462490
>IMO it's a weaker point in the plot. The major defining characteristic of the WAU is that it's trying to preserve whatever the hell it thinks "humanity" is - but here it is killing a bunch of people.
WAU did that because it doesn't really see any difference between real people and mockingirds.

It's simple math. Killing 10 people is worth it since in the long run since WAU can make more mockingbirds than that.
>>
>>344462843
10 people trying to end what WAU thought was saving the whole human race.
>>
File: Catherine.jpg (156 KB, 2000x559) Image search: [Google]
Catherine.jpg
156 KB, 2000x559
>>344462864
she looks pretty aspie too desu
>>
>>344462758
>If it were a direct link, it does explain why old Simon went unconscious as soon as new Simon got up.
You're misremembering. Simon #2 is very much awake when Simon #3 wakes up. It's Catherine that puts him to sleep with a needle to try to avoid having to deal with existencial suffering.

For example, Simon 2 could have lost his shit and wanted to kill Simon 3. In fact, I thought that's the direction the game was going with and it's a bit of shame they didn't go there.
>>
>>344461187
Simon 2 is a happy accident.

He's just a mockingbird who 1: was so alien to this environment he didn't realize what was going on and couldn't really feel something was wrong with him when everything looked weird and wrong to him, 2: had a body similar enough to his own to stay active and keep sane 3: through mostly luck always managed to keep busy and stay hopeful.

Keep in mind Soma happens in a relatively short time period.
Give it one or two weeks of hopelessly wandering through the facility, he'll just become like the other mockingbirds.

Not only is it unlikely an army of mockingbirds made in the same fashion would be productive let alone able to fix the wasteland that is Earth, the WAU has no idea what it's doing and probably didn't consider Simon a success since he's done nothing but fuck up his other creations and compromising entire sections of the base.
>>
>>344462831
No point, really. Just served to be a spoopy memory when WAU was trying to give him "life"
>>
>>344462818
>But I'm afraid of my other me being a dick and making fun of me/him/us behind my back by sharing past embarrassing stories ;_;

Well, are you a dick?
Would you tell embarassing stories about yourself?

The clone is YOU, everything you are will be in him, he will have had the same parents, same childhood and same everything, the only difference between you two is that you stayed behind, when he went to work for the greater good.

And if you don't have that sense for greater good, you would not agree to it, and there wouldn't be this problem, because the only way you're going to be in that position, is if you're selfless and by definition not a dick.

Hell, you'll probably both be patting your backs for what a paragon of humanity you are for agreeing to that. You would be a hero.

Hell, the colonists would consider you a god, who gave his clone for the good of their community.
>>
>>344462864
> wonder how becoming what she became, a purely digital peronality popping in and out of existance, knowing you're not the real you, how that changed or influanced her.
She says she doesn't really think about it.

Which is understandable- she porbably really doesn't think about it because it could distract her from matters at hand.

Might be why her cortex chip boils down after the Ark is send, she finally allowed herself to give a shit and couldn't bear all of that anymore.
>>
>>344463069
To be fair, it's entirely possible that the WAU is intelligent enough to go "Oh shit, Simon #2 kind of works, we did it!" and start making more clones like him.

In fact, if you don't kill the WAU and delete all the information, it's entirely possible Simon #5 (Technically another Simon #2) gets made.
>>
File: 1463697270132.jpg (52 KB, 595x720) Image search: [Google]
1463697270132.jpg
52 KB, 595x720
>>344463069
I guess you might be right about that.
>>
File: Character_catherine.jpg (504 KB, 2510x1500) Image search: [Google]
Character_catherine.jpg
504 KB, 2510x1500
>>344462997
DELETE THIS
>>
>>344463204
>The clone is YOU
No, the clone is you up to a point.

Remember that people change over time and both you and your clone might change into entirely different people. He might not be a dick yet,, maybe never, but his clone might become one.
>>
File: eef.png (278 KB, 640x715) Image search: [Google]
eef.png
278 KB, 640x715
>>344463204
I don't know. What if my other clone gets laid and gets confident and becomes determined to be someone and ends up being a galaxy-wide celebrity? Meanwhile, the good old original me is still the same NEET. He'd share a story about his NEET past and it'd be all fun and games for him and complete pain for me because I only went down further the spiral.

If I weren't a lazy fuck, I'd write a book with this premise.
>>
>>344463354
>In fact, if you don't kill the WAU and delete all the information, it's entirely possible Simon #5 (Technically another Simon #2) gets made.
Actually, it's entirely possible that during your adventures, there is another Simon/Cath pair trying to do exactly the same.
>>
>>344458518
>>344457473
ADHD eveyone
>>
>>344459292
In theory yes, but an actual computer system is a little more complicated than that. If you tell the computer to move a file from one folder to another, it usually won't copy the original data to a new location at all, instead just deleting the pointer in that folder that points to that data and creating a new pointer in the new folder. You navigate to the data via a different route on the interface, but the data itself doesn't move anywhere on the hard drive.
>>
I really liked SOMA. Too bad it was so short and not at all scary. I hope the team tries again though. We seriously need deep sea horror. Maybe try their hand at VR-integration too.
>>
>>344459189
Like synchronising the brain patterns? It's a though but the logistics/feasibility are basically impossible to comprehend under modern tech
>>
>>344463908
SOMA was great but I hope these guys move on to another concept instead of making SOMA 2.
>>
>>344463908
>Too bad it was so short and not at all scary
It's pretty scary for people with any kind of water/depths-related fobia though.
>>
>>344463354
The WAU is very factual.
Mockingbirds, people forced to live grafted to biomass and abominations count as humanity to it, and they are OK because they are stable - most of them are incapacitated anyway.

Bona fide humans are not more important than those to the WAU, and if they threaten its plan and by extension humanity, it will kill them swiftly.

Consider now that Simon 2 and 3 have done nothing but fuck shit up.
The WAU actively sends its spawn to kill him.
He's an obvious failure.
Sure he might keep sane a tad longer than the rest and, if willing, is pretty handy and functional, but he won't obey and is a threat to the WAU's plan.
So that's no good.

Had/If the WAU live(d) on, it' could use Simon's design to make efficient worker puppets, but definitely not mockingbirds.
>>
Not killing WAU and simon #3 would likely be able to make it relatively fine. It's simon #4 and catherine that stuck in the real hell. They can never change their enviroment, do anything, can they even feel things?
>>
File: TalosCat.jpg (117 KB, 1080x685) Image search: [Google]
TalosCat.jpg
117 KB, 1080x685
I like this game more, soma trying too hard being deep and clever.
>>
>>344463908
>Maybe try their hand at VR-integration too.
Don't really know much about these, but at least people are already exploring the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzpLtCw9r0
http://store.steampowered.com/app/451520/
>>
>>344464105
>The WAU actively sends its spawn to kill him.
This might not be the case, there's nothing that indicates this with any certainty. My interpretation is that those are just failed experiments acting wild on their own. The WAU realizes they're fuck ups and keeps re-iterating on how to make new "humans".
>>
>>344463908
>not at all scary
When they trick you with that anglerfish using its light I nearly shit myself
>>
>>344464220
other way around, m8
>>
>>344464220
>soma trying too hard being deep
4000m not deep enuf 4u?
>>
>>344464220
>soma trying too hard being deep and clever.

I thought it was pretty straight forward. It didn't try to do anything amazing or groundbreaking, it just told a story about the human condition and the potential dangers of both AIs and the transfering of conciousness.
>>
>>344464207
They can change the environment, the program lets them do changes from the inside. They're in a virtual reality that lets them be free, probably immortal, and they most certainly can feel things, no reason to believe they would have any less feelings than Simon #2/3 and Catherine #2

Although you could make a great horror game out of a society that could form itself in that simulation. Remember, there are only like 15 actual real people, the rest of the immense population of that world will be all complete fabricated A.I.
Hell, there will possibly be dozens of Simons in it, as well as anyone else who uploaded their schematics.
>>
>>344464220
I feel the exact opposite.
Talos Principle tries too hard to be deep and clever.
Soma is straight forward and simple but executes flawlessly.
>>
>>344464296
>My interpretation is that those are just failed experiments acting wild on their own.

My reaction aswell. I don't think they're necessarily acting on the WAUs orders at all. Keep in mind that the WAU isn't cunning in any way, it acts on instinct. If anything, it actually helps you throughout the game by letting you feed on its structure gel which keeps your body animated.
>>
>>344464513
But imagine if WAU had a bit more time, he'd able to upload all brain scans into bodies. Then with time we could make new fully normal human bodies perhaps. So all those people, scientists etc could possibly make life on earth in time more OK. WAU wasn't evil, he simply tried doing what's best and Simon was an example of him starting to succeed.
>>
>>344464513
It's briefly mentioned that the ARK scientists thought it might be possible to mix a couple consciousnesses to create "children". It's possible the WAU could go down that route eventually to avoid problems with too many duplicates. Hmm, we're impinging on Bioshock 2 territory now.
>>
WAU is what happens if Shodan was completely fucking incompetent.
>>
Physical body = consciousness. You can copy a body just fine and the consciousness running inside it will not feel a difference. If you put the two bodies in different environments you will have 2 slightly different versions of the original consciousness. On the other hand if you keep the bodies in identical environments you'll only have one version of the consciousness no matter how many times you copy the body.
>>
File: nohope.png (185 KB, 500x644) Image search: [Google]
nohope.png
185 KB, 500x644
>tfw in my ignorance I had a slim hope that MAYBE we will be able to develop technolgy that will let us transfer our consciousnesses into computers and that MAYBE it might be developed during my lifetime and MAYBE I would be able to use it

>realize that it's literally impossible to transfer consciousnesses, only make a copy of it

>tfw there is literally no hope for being immortal
>>
>>344464851
Not really. Shodan is pretty human-like while WAU is defined by it's complete lack of human characteristics. It's not even clear if the WAU has consciousness.
>>
>>344464767
I hope ARK gets a sequel, or a DLC or something. I feel that the SOMA universe is something not only deserving one game to it. I could see a lot being done with the people inside the ARK.
>>
>>344460983
Too bad Simon is a retarded comic book nerd
>>
>>344465016
>its impossible to transfer consciousness

Nigga, we don't even fully grasp what it is, why we have it and other animals do not, why everyone's is seperate

Nigga

We don't even know why we got to sleep at night.

Meanwhile, 40 years ago, nobody would have thought to have a device in your pocket that can communicate with sattilites.

100 years ago nobody thought we'd have a device.

If you think that we are at the pinnacle of understanding of human life in 2000 fucking 16 you are a pleb.
>>
>>344465129
both their goals are similar.

But in the event of dystopian AI taking control of humanity WAU is more likely than Shodan.
>>
To people say things like it would be great to have a clone etc, I don't think you fully thought it through, though i partly agree. Still, there are so many emotional and existential repurcussions bound to take place. You might consider yoursemf in a comfy position, making a clone, you're still you, what could go wrong. But to the clone, you were just comfy but suddenly are the clone, and realize you are "fake" or only a clone, at least in part and to the original. YOU decided to make a clone but suddenly you're just the clone, YOU lived through all that, but you didn't actually. There would be anxiery and anger and envy and fear that could only be directed towards the original. I think a lot of people would actually kill their twin out of fear of the other doing it first. "Would he (i) do that...?" Take the example that one person itt used, of sending a clone to a planet to help. You might be comfy making a clone and sending that shit to mars for uac duty, and going on wi your day. But to the clone, he was just thinking the exact same thing, but then boom, he turned out to be the clone. He has all the memories of your life, he IS you, he wanted to just send a clone but now he's pn freakin mars duty. So no, you could not be comfy, you would have to deal with the knowledge "i'm going to mars, no more comfy life" before cloning, even though technically you'll be safe, to the other you, that mental prep is essential though hard to achieve. You'd have to assume what you know won't be, but will be for the other you. You have to make honest amends with the crappy fate, try believing that's where you'll end up even though you won't.
>>
>>344465016
>>tfw there is literally no hope for being immortal
Nanomachines, son.
>>
>>344464767
>mix a couple consciousnesses to create "children"
Yeah, I mean what could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>344465016
>tfw there is literally no hope for being immortal
It's possible they find a way to keep your same brain running forever.
Anyway, your brain is like 99% composed of different molecules than it was when you were 5 so in a way you've already transferred your consciousness. We ship of theseus now.
>>
>>344465016
Our best bet for immortality is in "fixing" the problem of cells replicating in worse and worse condition, ie what causes aging in way too simple terms.
>>
>>344465016
You just don't get it, consciousness isn't something you can or need to transfer, much like the concept of the color yellow or anything else immaterial. You can only preserve it or wipe it from existence.
>>
>>344464737
At the end of things, I feel that there is no good reason to kill the WAU. The two main arguments I've seen for killing it are "It killed people, so it's justice" and "It's making monsters"

To which, there's nobody left to care about justice, and it was getting better with simon.

The wau offers life. It might not look anything like humanity, and it might never amount to anything more than stumbling, insane failures that die when entropy claims the rest of pathos, it's still life, and with life comes the chance for things to improve.

The ark might be a paradise, but it will always be limited by what it is and how they have no way to interact with the outside world.
>>
>>344465249
I go to sleep to take a break from my life where i can be free and happy.
>>
>>344465350
>Anyway, your brain is like 99% composed of different molecules than it was when you were 5 so in a way you've already transferred your consciousness.
Consciousness is about continuity. Any kind of transfer would break it.

The only way to achieve immortality would be to keep the brain up and running forever but boy this would take some advanced fucking tech given we don't even fully understand how brains work.

it doesn't matter anyway, everything is going to die once we reach heat death of the universe, probably even earlier when the sun blows up unless we find another planet to live on
>>
>>344465178
My worry about any sort of SOMA related sequel is it could kind of detract from the concept of inescapable finality of the original game.
>>
>>344465702
Perhaps. But at the same time i enjoyed walking around and the story of it. Though i'll be honest and say i wish the monsters didn't attack you because they become more annoying than scary, if they ever were at all. I think they just distracted you.
>>
>>344465663
you are dumb
>>
>>344465789
no u
>>
>>344464296
Maybe, but I can't really buy that the WAU is content with mockingbirds that will kill each-over on sight and do jack shit about it.

The WAU likes to have things under control and to have so many dangerous things running around in its complex without it acting on that, could only mean it's powerless, and it's kinda inconsistent with the game and the logs.
>>
>>344465663
Just slowly replace part of your brain with circuits and nanochips.
>>
>>344465663
I think if we can last another couple thousand years without blowing ourselves up or getting smacked by a comet/GRB we have a good chance of escaping the sun's death. After that we've got a pretty good buffer before we have to worry about the second.
>>
>>344465952
Yeah, but we can't escape the ultimate fate of the universe.

Shit's going to end, sooner or later.
>>
>>344464071
Considering they didn't just make Amnesia 2 to surf on the game's success and went for this instead, there is hope.
>>
>>344464220

I agree, it offered much more food for thought and was a more meaningful and profound experience, if you actually read everything and talk to the terminals and really try to give it a lot of thought. Soma was much simpler, but also seemed to try harder to be deep as simon put his limited capacity for thought to use.
>>
>>344466440
>I agree, it offered much more food for thought and was a more meaningful and profound experience,
Wrong and wrong. Talos is just a bunch of random trying-to-be-deep questions, SOMA gives you a first-hand experience to what the nature of the human consciousness is, and how frail of a concept it is.
>>
>>344466136
It's just so far out there that I don't think it's worth discussing as "the end".
What did protoplasmic goop on precambrian earth know about the concept of individual death?
What did early humans understand about the death of the sun and end of life on earth?
I get that, armed with the tools of modern science we can appreciate the mathematical and physical end-state of entropy but I don't think we've grown to the point of being able to properly philosophize on " the ultimate fate of the universe".
>>
>>344466943
This whole thread is just discussion about shit that doesn't really matter though.
>>
>>344465249
>>
>We don't even know why we got to sleep at night.
your brain needs to defragment
>>
>>344466731

>random
No
>trying to be deep
It uses actual historic fragments mixed with honest commentary on them. The food for thought in talos principle is not only much wider and more varied yet connected, its also more real and pertinent compared to what is only a fantasy story in soma. Soma is "woah, am i still human? Whoah, suddenly its the future! Woah, i don't know but check that mutated zomby shark bro." Its an individual tale, and a romantic tale about saving ourselves in a way. Talos principle is about our legacy, it deals more directly with our eventual demise and gives proper attention to artificial intelligence and robots as our actual children. These are some short reasons why i thought talos principle might be more profound, but more specifically there is a lot of interesting text compared to limited simon in soma, and the audiotapes are very emotional and sincere to me. But both are interesting games.
>>
>>344465590

I thought the same thought. Both the Ark and WAU tries to place a human consciousness in a simulated happy world. With the WAU, at least there was a body to go back to or the means to make a new one if things screwed up. It was also attempting to learn and evolve by itself. The same can't be said of the Ark. WAU just needed time.
>>
Finally an interesting thread on /v/, it took a while.
>>
>>344468991
we don't really know if the WAU is actually learning anything or if it just throws shits against a wall and can't even tell what sticks
>>
played through this the past few nights in the dark with headphones on

one of the best gaming experiences of my life for real
>>
>>344470060

It learned how to make the virtual world that served as the basis of the ark and throughout the game is implicit in the creation of new technologies. I'd say it was learning.
>>
>>344468991
>WAU just needed time.
Did they ever hint at or directly address how long the WAU can be powered? It seems like it would take a long time for the life created by the WAU to "evolve" into anything more useful.
>>
>>344454657
Worse than the Princess in Cunt Island 3?
>>
oh also when you walk into tau theres two headless bodies on the floor, one lying against a wall

when i went upstairs and came back down that body was kneeling upright against a bench

spooked the shit out of me

whats up with that?
>>
File: shodan.jpg (352 KB, 775x1300) Image search: [Google]
shodan.jpg
352 KB, 775x1300
>>344464851
>you will never have a criminally insane AI that wants to take over reality as a gf
why live
>>
>>344472204
oh shit is that true? I missed that
>>
>>344472737
GladOS is better
>>
>>344472548

no i mean the fucking body got up and hunched over a bench after i walked past it when i entered
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.