[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Games that /v/ were adamant about them being garbage, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
ITT: Games that /v/ were adamant about them being garbage, but they're actually alright.
>>
but the game only gets alright after lv60
>>
>>344426027
Naw, I'm liking it enough at 39 right now. I never tried it out until recently with my bro and I went in expecting to hate it after all the horror stories I've read about it. But it's alright, it's an alternative to D3 which I'm sick and tired of for sure.
>>
>>344425789
I agree that it's alright, but nothing more
>>
Stash tabs and premiums tabs are bullshit and shouldn't be in the game. Fortunately you don't need them unless you tackle end-game/trading.
Still 20$ish I would have rather spent on cosmetics
>>
>>344426393
>$20ish
Be totally honest though, how many hours did you get out of a free game until you even needed to buy that?
I've now played it for almost 20 hours and I'm almost ascending and stuff for the first time. Irritatingly though the game server had a hiccup which made me die within the last 20% of the ascension boss guy's last part, and I was confident that I was done there... god damn it for always online.
>>
If only the optimisation wasn't atrocious, then it might actually be playable.
>>
When it first released it was pretty fucking good. Then everyone found out how fucking garbage desync was and it was pretty much a giant shitshow.
The quickstart 20 minute see how far you can get season matches were fun as hell: but again desync was the destroyer of worlds

Then like 3-4 fucking years POST most people moving on because of shitty desync problems. They finally claim to have fixed it.
I tried going back but it's too little too late
>>
>>344430059
>but it's too little too late
But why? It's not like they've been sitting on their asses for the past 3-4 years. Desync is fixed and there's a ton more content now than those years ago? What are you expecting from them?
>>
>>344425789
click to win: the genre
>>
>>344431443
If your definition of click to win is "You can perform actions with clicks" then I guess it is.
>>
Does the game have fun loot yet?

I found it so dull compared to D2, everything I found was either a useless rare or a unique that was only usable by an extremely specific build I had zero interest in playing
>>
>>344432045
>everything I found was either a useless rare or a unique that was only usable by an extremely specific build I had zero interest in playing

>Implying Diablo 2 wasn't like that too
>>
>>344432045
That's funny, that sounds exactly like D2.
>>
>>344432171
D2 has tons of mid-tier loot that was basically good for everyone. You could farm something like NM Meph and get gear that was universally good

I never found anything usable by my character in 165 hours of PoE
>>
>>344432045
If you have uniques that are usable by lots of builds then it typically means they're overpowered, so you don't want that at all. Path already has several like that but at least they're huge pains in the ass with the exception of that new iron ring they introduced in this league.
>>
>>344432329
What do you gain from lying on an anonymous imageboard?
>>
>>344432476
>>344432402
>>344432212
>>344432171
So do you get like 10 cents per post or what
>>
>>344432613
>post retarded shit
>get corrected
>SSSSSSHILLL REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
okay
>>
>>344426759
>Be totally honest though, how many hours did you get out of a free game until you even needed to buy that?
Doesnt matter to most people. They will find a justification to not spend a single cent on a game they blew hundreds of hours on. They will consider thousand of hours of entertainment to be a fair deal for a 50 dollar box purchase and usually even complain about the 'shitty deal they got'.

'Gamers' are the biggest leeches of all. They want want want but dont cant be bothered to give. They also have no fucking clue what entertainment actually costs which is the reason why they complain about expensive vidya, which is utterly laughable and they'd know about it had they ever performed an outdoor hobby or anything that isnt video games. But I guess thats to be expected considering that video games usually appeal to children who either have no money or think that blowing 80bucks on a night at the club is a fair deal, while 50 bucks for 20 times the amount of entertainment isnt.
>>
>>344432613
>Oh no, these people clearly know about both games being talked about while I don't
>Better call them a shill

Look, if you want easy proof that uniques in Path of Exile can be not super specific, just look through this list and you'll find lots of uniques that could easily be used in many generic builds like generic melee, generic archer, generic spell caster, etc.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/List_of_unique_accessories
>>
>>344432698
>>344432835
>literally no argument beyond "p-poe is good!"

Really earning those pennies lads
>>
>>344432939
>Devolving to shitposting because you realize people know more about games than you do

Please anon, you're not impressing anyone. We're not saying D2 is bad, and we're not even saying PoE is good, we're just saying that uniques in both games are similar, the PoE devs based their game off of D2 so it's not a surprise.
>>
>>344433162
>uniques in both games are similar

They're not. At all. Maybe you don't deserve your pennies, you're bad at defending your employers.
>>
>>344433162
I'll say D2LoD is bad if you want. Runewords took over every item slot and letting inventory charms grant power (charms) is poor design.
>>
>>344433293
Tell me more about how PoE is a better designed game than D2
>>
>>344425789
Picture not related
>>
>>344433795
Flasks in PoE are like a million times better than potions in D2.
>>
>>344433795
Better crafting, better setting, better skill system, better enemies, more affixes, leagues with new gimmicks, meaningful skill tree over "str/dex for items, rest in vit," play the goddamn game and see for yourself nigga.
>>
>>344433795
PoE has a character information screen that is actually accurate and helpful.

Skill customization is way more fleshed out than D2's skill trees.

PoE has a ton of things that improve the game by making things less annoying, like managing loot is less awkward, no need to constantly fumble with potions, etc

PoE has a lot of things over D2 simply because of the fact that D2 is old.
>>
>>344434207
>>344434369
>>344434721
I was being facetious, samefag.
>>
>>344434931
No, as far as I can tell you're being rekt.
>>
>>344434931
>Posts too close to one another to be a samefag
>Calls samefag anyways

Are you new here?
>>
>>344435031
>p-poe is good!

Keep going, you're doing great. I'm sure your employers will be pleased.
>>
>>344434369
The gambling ("crafting") is a shitshow that punishes newer, poorer players.

Overall, Path of Exile is a game where all their good ideas are stolen, and all their original ideas are terrible. I want to like it because of the good ideas they stole, but I can't play it for very long because of the other bullshit.
>>
>>344435271
This is a legitimate post from someone who isn't being paid to post here.
>>
>>344435271
In my opinion, this entire genre revolves around punishing newer, poorer players in order to provide incentive to commit to the grinding and become not-poor.

People like it you know - they keep starting over for every league. Compare with D3 and its latest "here have a free set" innovation that just means a new season is dead 1 month in instead of 2.
>>
>>344435271
Path of exile isn't very beginner friendly, you're right. It's a bit better now but before it was awful.

Crafting is rarely worth it unless if you have a ridiculous amount of currency to spend. They did make it a little better with the workbenches they added a little while ago though, since you can pick which properties you get.

They have some good original ideas though, flasks are a great idea, and I like the gem system too. The passive tree is also really neat too.

>>344435445
We get it, you're mad.
>>
PoE was good. Key word is WAS.
Sadly the devs were too stubborn and wanted to make their own engine, and now we're stuck with this horribly optimized unstable laggy ancient DX9 piece of shit.
Couple that with horrible unstable servers that frequently crash, more and more boring uninspired leagues that die after 2 weeks, horrible imbalance between items where 99% of items are worth nothing and the other 1% are extremely expensive, retarded game balance revolving around insane physical damage and extremely dangerous reflect that makes damage conversion almost mandatory for both offense and defense (lightning coil, taste of hate, chaos conversion, vinktar's, etc.), insane power creep where it took month+ to get to lvl 100 on a new league for people who played 12+ hours a day to where every noob that can afford gear for builds like CoC Discharge can get to 100 with just casual playing because you can clear top maps in less then 3 minutes with almost zero risk or having to use your brain, etc.
>>
>>344435762
Am I the only one here who, every ten-fifteen levels or so, grabs a white weapon, slaps 4 whetstones on it, and then alterations until it rolls a damage affix? Both of those are plentiful even for beginners and it lets you get nice weapons for leveling. Couldn't do shit like this is D2.

But yeah, as a beginner ,you're better off using high value currency to buy almost-perfect items off rich players who need them in their unrelenting search for perfect items.
>>
>>344435551
That's the party line, certainly, but I suspect the "git gud" population is vanishingly small. I suspect most people who play Path of Exile barely tolerate the terrible design choices because there's not really a good alternative, and because there are other things that are good about it. At the same time, the game seems to be on the decline, so I expect that people's tolerance for its bullshit is waning.
The fact that they toned down the gambling a bit with the masters and toned down the trading with the public tabs shows they agree that there's a problem. But then we run into the same problem, that their original ideas are terrible: masters are a bad solution to the gambling, and public tabs are a bad solution to the trading.

>>344435762
The gem system is stolen from Final Fantasy VII, and the skill graph is stolen from Final Fantasy X. The flasks are almost good, except I'd almost prefer if they only had health and mana pots. Otherwise you get into the negative feedback loop of "this flask lets you cut physical damage by 30%, guess that means mobs need to deal 43% more physical damage to compensate."
>>
>>344435841
I agree about the damage conversion and reflect issue, as well as power creep (Mostly because ascendancy make things so easy), and the item imbalance even though I think you're exaggerating unless if you're talking about for trading.

For stuff about server/game optimization I think you're wrong though, the servers are way better now, and there's no more horrible desyncing that ruined so many builds.
>>
>>344433293
You can beat Diablo 2 hell pretty easily without using a single runeword. The only time you really needed runes was to run the extra ubers content.
>>
>>344436240
>The gem system is stolen from Final Fantasy VII, and the skill graph is stolen from Final Fantasy X

That's really, really stretching it. They look similar but calling them the same thing is pretty ridiculous, especially because they have to be different since one game is turn based and the other is real time, meaning there's lots of different mechanics in both.
>>
>>344436240
>The gem system is stolen from Final Fantasy VII, and the skill graph is stolen from Final Fantasy X.
Disregarding the gross oversimplification in this statement, how is that a bad thing for the game? Inspiration is allowed you know.
>>
>>344436560
Let me describe a system and tell me which game I'm talking about:
You have gems that either contain active abilities, or that modify the active ability of another gem. Your equipment has sockets on it, with links between sockets, and gems can be put into the sockets. If there's a link between an ability gem and a modifier gem, then the modification is applied to the ability gem.

>>344436935
It's not a problem in itself, as I said, their stolen ideas are the only reasons the game's worth playing, because materia and sphere grid were good ideas then and they're good ideas now. It's a problem because the game gets worse over time because they incorporate more of their own ideas, which are bad.
>>
>>344436314
>For stuff about server/game optimization I think you're wrong though, the servers are way better now, and there's no more horrible desyncing that ruined so many builds.
Didn't play this league, but last league there was literally a server crash at least once every single day, for almost a month. It was especially fun when you just started that nicely rolled high tier map and then the server crashed and rolled back and you lost that map forever.
And from what I've read and seen some videos, apparently that new "optimization" algorithm they introduced with the new patch that speeds up loading by loading some things in the background after already loading the area causes insane lag and fps drops, so that everyone went back to the old loading method. Also some effects like burning ground make the game almost unplayable for me.
>>
>>344437097
Fair enough, senpai. I don't really mind the new shit I think s'alright, but to each his own I guess.
>>
>>344437097
Games that let you buff skills by attaching properties to them aren't new. You're right that stuff like sockets and links are unique but to say the two systems are the same is wrong. For example, PoE has way more focus on support gems, where as FF7 is more about the active skills. What FF7 support materia do is something you couldn't take out of a turn based RPG too.

The devs might have been inspired by the system, sure. But to say they ripped the whole idea off is too much of a stretch, there's too many changes that had to be done to make it work in a real time game that actually has to deal with things like area of effect, range, speed, etc.
>>
File: 1467946164540.jpg (86 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
1467946164540.jpg
86 KB, 600x637
its skinnerbox korean grind garbage for autists
>>
>>344425789
Grim Dawn
>inb4 ARPG war
>>
>>344438075
Both games built their support gems around the knobs that were available to turn. Final Fantasy VII has an All materia because battles are self-contained so "target all" makes sense. Path of Exile contains Increased Area of Effect and Chain because battles are not self-contained, but things like area of effect and chaining are bog-standard mechanics for clickers. That is, the gem system is a pretty straight clicker-implementation of the materia system; it's what would immediately come to mind if one were to ask the question, "what would materia look like in a clicker?"
It's a good idea, but it's not an original idea. And to be fair we could say that their horrible trading system is not an original idea, rather it's lifted from Runescape, but I'd be hard-pressed to think of a game with a "crafting" system that's even remotely as bad.
>>
It was fun for the month I played it non-stop, but then it got dull fast. Probably because I had played D3 for thousands of hours before starting
>>
File: 1460246463925.png (40 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
1460246463925.png
40 KB, 152x254
>>344437186
the new loading thing has two problems, one being that it loading a shitton of stuff in the "background" rapes your FPS for a good while, basically negating the benefit by making the game unplayable for a minute instead of having a minute-long startup loadscreen.

The other problem being that some assets aren't loaded up until they're actually needed, so you get cases where shit freezes cause the game needs to load the effects of the attack that's killing you. this has gotten better at least.

still incredibly pointless since it doesn't fix the original problem in any meaningful way.
>>
>post games
>everyone just argues about the game OP posted
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.