[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't they just add analog sticks for movement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: 4586947.jpg (25 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
4586947.jpg
25 KB, 600x458
Why didn't they just add analog sticks for movement?
>>
>>344411454
Probably would've been a smart thing to do desu
>>
>>344411454
Because movement with analog sticks turns VR into a vomitron for 90% of people who try it
>>
File: 1434257776955.jpg (73 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
1434257776955.jpg
73 KB, 550x413
What would be a good solution to solve the walking shit then?
People will probably laugh when thinking back to the shit teleport solution.

What would a better solution be?
>>
>>344413601
So because of some subhumans with shit genetics, we have this shitty teleporting around thing?

I've watched oculus dev kit videos of people playing with mouse and keyboard for years now and they seemed fine.
>>
>>344413601
Ut thats wrong
>>
>>344413601
>tested with people with shit genes
The roomscale is a selling point, but it has no actual use in gameplay since its limited as fuck.
>>
>>344414679
omni, but more developed, and more simple.
>>
>>344415080
>omni
Fuck that.
>>
>>344416037
Its the only solution so far.
>>
>>344416084
But then you cant do the amazing movement that you can while on foot. Why wont having the teleport ability, but instead of teleporting to the area, the character simply runs there?
>>
>>344416282
>not in total control of the movement
Its way worse.
>>
Teleporting is shit. I've heard people "get used to it" but it's no solution to actual analog movement throughout a world, especially if you have certain things that happen that depend on you actually moving (outside of a few feet of movement), so most games don't actually work well, or at all. On the other hand, it is known that you can train out motion sickness, so that opens up a lot of more possibilities with just a bit of investment in time/effort on the user's part. Yet, there are so many weak/afraid developers that won't risk the backlash or bad initial reputation if it gets people sick. It's even worse that, whether intentional or not, the Vive's design with the touch pad instead of sticks does not fit well with analog movement and thus discourages it.
>>
File: quake-rift-screenshot.jpg (91 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
quake-rift-screenshot.jpg
91 KB, 500x281
Gaming did not cater for sim sickness before and it should remain the same now.
>>
File: NerveGear_2.png (211 KB, 953x535) Image search: [Google]
NerveGear_2.png
211 KB, 953x535
>>344414679
>>344415080
>>344416084
>>344416282
>>344416328
>>344416446

It's clear the only solution is paralyzation and moving with your brainsignals.
>>
>>344411454
How could anyone even get hyped for such a flawed product? How?
>>
>>344416658
Or sending signals to your GVS with a better, consumer ready method than what's currently done. Or just wait for people to get used to movement in VR because it's not like people can't reduce motion sickness through time. Those things will probably happen sooner than complete stimulation of the brain for VR purposes.
>>
>>344416842
I'm getting mine in 2-3 days

Just want to look at lewd waifus with true presence man
>>
>>344417193
Then get cardboard vr fucks sake
>>
>>344411454
spring sticks give you good directional control but poor velocity.
directional control might be impaired due to the nature of wand style controllers?

then theres also springless sticks, which might give you better velocity control, but because your playing blind you would have to feel for them if you let go.

a pad is like a springless stick substitute but you can use it blind
>>
>>344417374
How do I slap the titty in a cardboard
>>
Because it doesnt translate well in vr
you cant just sit down and run in the vidya
you will shit your pants
>>
>>344411454
This is why the Rift controller is better. They added motion, but they're pretty aware you still need buttons and sticks on the damn thing.
>>
IMO Touch controllers will be much better due to analog sticks, buttons, triggers,detecting of hand gestures and developers not building around the dumbass idea of limited movement around a small room.
>>
The trackpad can just be used in the same way.
>>
>>344417440
Fair enough
>>
>>344417610
rift is probably better at everything including price. But . . . fucking facebook. Theyre trying to become apple. Dun want none of that
>>
>>344417610
>>344417614

The Touch does look like it has better input potential than the Vive wands

I hope that it will be possible to hack up drivers that let the Touch work together with the Vive for the best of both worlds
>>
>>344414679
Straps for your ankles with IR emitters?

So simple someone could probably make it at home.
>>
>tfw i'm about to sell my vive on ebay and get more than I paid for it

for real tho, the vive is really cool but literally 99.99% of the game are complete trash. I'm sure it will continue to be that way until VR becomes mainstream so then real devs can make games for it
>>
>>344417920
>I hope that it will be possible to hack up drivers that let the Touch work together with the Vive for the best of both worlds

You can't. The Touch controllers communicate with the Rift headset itself, a driver isn't going to do anything. Vive wands do the same with the Vive. In any case. The Rift headset is better than the Vive headset as well, anyway. The only problem with the Rift is Facebook.
>>
File: 1465231845490.jpg (25 KB, 216x282) Image search: [Google]
1465231845490.jpg
25 KB, 216x282
>>344417761
>Rift is objectively worse at everything except price

>"Rift is better at everything"

???
>>
>>344418224
how is the rift headset any better? Actual question btw. I thought the rift only supported 180 degrees and vive did 360
>>
>>344418369
Are you autistic? I wrote "rift is probably better at everything including price".
>>
>>344418514

But you're wrong, dipshit.
>>
>>344418224
Doesn't the Touch come with it's own tracking camera?
as for headsets themselves - Rift can't do roomscale / 360 degree experiences very well

It can do it but there's occlusion and tracking issues plus minimal space to move in

Their displays and the lens are pretty much the same too - just one tradeoff being 5% image quality vs 5% extra fov on the rift vs vive - you can already emulate Rift games on the Vive with few faults
>>
File: screens.png (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
screens.png
3 KB, 225x225
>reminder to not buy pentile shit displays or lower res ones
>>
>>344411454
Simsickness isn't all that pleasant, if you've had it before you'd know that.
>>
>>344418870
The only solution is to get gud
>>
>>344418430
>>344418659
Talking about the headset only, it's full 360 with a single camera as it has IR LEDs on the back. The controllers are 270 in the default configuration, but 360 if you put one in the back like you do with the Vive and there are plenty of videos of people playing the exact same Vive games such as Hover Junkers with touch and absolutely no issues.

What the headset has better than the Vive is lower SDE, lower latency, higher horizontal FOV for lower vertical FOV compared to the Vive, larger sweet spot so you can look with your eyes versus turning your head, and better comfort for non-glasses wearers.
>>
>>344418430
>>344418659
That is not true, you have fallen for the misinformation.
Here are some examples showing it works almost identically to the Vive tracking with similar layout of sensors/base stations:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8FLNWN2jO8
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Wb7i96_xE
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA0DtWADoAg
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1E_rqaMgnM

All from the same guy though.

The only thing bad about the Rift headset + Touch is that the tracking volume potential is lower, so you'd have a harder time if you want to play in a larger than 15x15 ft room (I think that's how big this guy's room is).
>>
>>344418931
It's a physiological reaction, I've spent more than enough time in janky DK2 demos to get gud and teleportation is the only movement mechanic that doesn't cause it.
>>
>>344419397
Its a failure in the internal ear.

For me depends of the engine.
For example i could beat lots of games like fear and crysis, playing for hours, but i cant even stay in skyrim for more than 10 seconds.
>>
>>344419218

So aren't all the exclusivity arguments completely pointless then? If both sets can emulate each other's exclusives just fine
>>
File: laughing karin cat.gif (47 KB, 1001x985) Image search: [Google]
laughing karin cat.gif
47 KB, 1001x985
>>344411454

>delayed for at least a billion years.
>PS3 cost.
>no games.
>the games that are available are 40 dollar early access closed betas.
>have to use two sticks to control yourself.
>headset doesn't fit properly, leading to irritation and incredible sweating.
>must have a superb GPU.
>if framerate ever falls, it's taking your brain and eyes with it into hell.

This should have been a wii addition. You're already using a wiimote and a nunchuck to control yourself.
>>
>>344419397
Meh, I also had sickness with controller movement in DK2, but everything that gave me trouble, I can do just fine with CV1. It must be ATW @90hz, because I can't think of anything else that would make it feel so much better. Some engines still give trouble, probably because they can't use that.
>>
>>344419658
It's not failure, it's the inner ear doing its job correctly. A disconnect between visual perception of movement and your inner ear's perception of movement is a sign of poison, and your brain's natural reaction to that is to attempt to get the "poison" out of your system by inducing vomiting.
>>
>>344419040
>What the headset has better than the Vive is lower SDE, lower latency, higher horizontal FOV for lower vertical FOV compared to the Vive, larger sweet spot so you can look with your eyes versus turning your head, and better comfort for non-glasses wearers.

Some of that is false. The Rift is lower SDE, but the FOV is also smaller in all dimensions except diagonal. However, that is assuming the optimal eye relief for both, and in practical use, most people do not get to that distance, and it's negligible. Things are generally more clear with the Rift lenses yes but you still need to look around with your head most of the time.

For glasses users the Vive seems to be better but overall the comfort of the Rift is better like you say, and if you're willing to get a VR Lens Lab insert, then the Rift is more comfortable.

Weight is also less front heavy so moving around your head doesn't make the headset shift as much on the Rift.

Also the Rift has great built in audio and you don't have to fiddle around with an extra pair or modding.

>>344419730
They are. The real problem isn't the practical effect of exclusives done by Oculus (because they allow you to run it on whatever hardware you want - so mods that let an Oculus game run on the Vive works), but the morality of the business decisions. People dislike Oculus because they think they're greedy. Essentially, it's a moral issue people have.

Also most Oculus exclusive stuff is just timed anyway.
>>
>>344420235
>Some of that is false.

Yeah, no I have a Rift. FOV definitely felt wider to me then the Vive, but that was just a demo, so maybe you are right and it's just that my Rift I setup was better than their eye relief, but I definitely can see things clearly still just moving my eyes. It's not like the other headsets where you really only see well in the center.
>>
>>344420697
For the FOV, I was talking about objectively measured numbers. In practical use, often you do not get such optimal distances, and it depends on the person because of their head shape.
>>
>>344420235
>People dislike Oculus because they think they're greedy. Essentially, it's a moral issue people have.
Valve is more greedy. They want to benefit off of Oculus dollars spent on making software that isn't just tech demos, without putting anything in themselves. And how aggressively they push SteamVR over Oculus's SDK, despite it objectively not working as well.
>>
So the other problem with analog stick/WASD movement with HMDs is that every first-person game after Wolfenstein 3D uses simulated head bob to make it not look like you're sliding around. Simulated head bob is guaranteed to cause vomiting, while sliding around looks bad.
>>
How did they get away with selling 600 dollar wiis?
>>
>>344421802
Most people do not dislike Valve, and many more dislike Facebook or anything that has to do with them. Because of that, and it's kind of a feedback loop, most people do not think as critically about Valve. Or HTC, who is the other party involved.
>>
>>344423041
$800 wiis actually. And it's because reddit will buy anything from the fat fuck they worship.
>>
>>344418671
care to spoonfeed?
>>
>>344423634
Not too much, but here it is:

The rift and the vive use pentile displays because samsung displays are cheap.
The sony VR use a full strip rgb, but its has lower resolution.

So in both cases you have a poor image quality.
its worse int both vive and the rift because of the arrange of pixels in the pentile solution.
At least the sony one will look better, but still not sharp enough to not notice the pixels.

So both have screen door effect.
>>
>>344423634
Vive and Rift both have pentile screens @ 2160X1200 while PSVR has a RGB screen @ 1920X1080, so I assume he is shilling for Sony. PSVR, unfortunately is useless on a normal PS4 as that simply doesn't have the power for anything decent on it. Neo should fix that and maybe there will be some hacks for PC for it.
>>
>>344424368
No man, not shilling for anyone.
Thats why i said, pentile and lower res..
The resolution is still shit as a dk2, and also it will be scaled for sure, wich adds more blur to the solution.
>>
>>344417634
it's shit
>>
>>344424368
>>344424186
>>344423634

If PSVR were the same resolution, it'd be better, but it's not. In the end it's basically the same because of subpixel size and pixel fill rate, as well as the way humans perceive less detail in blue, a little bit less in red, and most in green. I've used the Rift, Vive, and PSVR, in fact quite a few times, and the difference really isn't great between all of them in terms of SDE and resolution. The rendering resolution on the PSVR however isn't great because of the hardware.
>>
These are all essentially first gen VR products. Earlier attempts at VR really don't count because they never went anywhere. I figure it will at least three gens before they figure out how to make VR almost perfect for usability and quality of content. Early adopters are getting novelty items, not polished products.
>>
>>344424580
So what you are really saying is wait for gen 2 or 3. Because do panels that are full RGB, OLED for low persistence, and at least 90hz refresh rate, and at higher res, and an optimal size and aspect ratio for a VR headset even exist at a price that isn't absolutely insane?
>>
>>344424695
This guy here.

Although >>344424580 perhaps didn't communicate himself the most clearly, he is right - the PSVR is still only 1080p like the DK2 and most games render at a lower resolution and then upscale, which when seen in the HMD, has the effect of making things look blurry (in most cases if you have AA). But the good thing about PSVR is the RBG pixel arrangement, meaning the amount of subpixels are actually comparable to the Rift and Vive screens, but like I said it only catches up, it doesn't surpass the quality of the Rift and Vive displays.
>>
>>344425081
Maybe with those new flexible displays they showed not so long ago, manufacturers will be able to tweak both the lenses and the screen to increase the pixel density.
But that will take like 5 more years at this rate.
>>
File: 1452219813447.gif (2 MB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1452219813447.gif
2 MB, 375x375
>mfw just downloaded Waifu Sex Simulator
Poorfags will never experience this, they're too busy fapping like cavemen to their 2D images.
>>
File: 1465742470153.jpg (173 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
1465742470153.jpg
173 KB, 800x1067
>>344425941
Hell yeah muh nig nog.
>>
Some crybabies got naucious
>>
>>344426407
what are those things on his man boobs for?
>>
>>344428395
Looks like suction cups. Some people probably find it a turn on.
>>
The only VR headset worth buying has:

>180 degree FOV or higher
>16:9 aspect ratio screen for each eye
>3000 vertical pixels or higher
>90hz refresh rate with no ghosting
>full RGB
>curved display to make the design more compact.

Until then, it's not worth it
>>
>>344411454
Some guy made a tech demo where you move both controllers like youre running and you move.
Some developer will still this idea, watch.
>>
>>344425025
Polished novelties would be a better analogy, the build quality of consumer headsets is great and there's a lot of hard work going into improving the content library.
>>
>>344416282
That's a wful idea and you should feel awful for having it.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.