[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can Steam even be dethroned at this point? It just keep growing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 620x348
Can Steam even be dethroned at this point? It just keep growing and growing, like Disney.
>>
>>344405531
Steam will be kill when they get banned from Europe because their DRM is illegal under European consumer law (it breaches first sale doctrine).
>>
>>344406128
>Europe will ruin everything again
No doubt Brexit happened, sad fucks.
>>
At this point?, no way, in the far future? Yes of course.
>>
File: 935[1].png (494 KB, 520x668) Image search: [Google]
935[1].png
494 KB, 520x668
>>344406201
>punishing companies that breach consumer law is bad
you must be an Amerifat
>>
File: UWotM8.jpg (117 KB, 584x720) Image search: [Google]
UWotM8.jpg
117 KB, 584x720
>>344406201
>>344406128
This is not actually going to happen, ever.
Either everyone will keep ignoring it or Steam will adapt to get around the legal issues.
Or Gabe will throw some money at the bureaucrats and have them adjust the laws.
>>
>>344405531
Atleast Valve never takes risks and always backpedals

Better than Sony/MS
>>
>>344406303
>MS
>not backpedaling
remember the backlash when they wanted to implement a DRM similar to Steam on the Xbone?
>>
I doubt it. I've grown to hate Steam now though.
>>
>>344406342
That took an insanely massive amount of backlash and the console wasn't even out.
>>
>>344406128

>Valve is not the only company blocking the resale of downloaded games: UFC-Que Choisir also reviewed terms and conditions imposed on gamers by Microsoft, Sony, Electronic Arts and Blizzard, finding similar problems with all of them.

Good luck with getting all the of these to comply as well.
>>
>>344406201

You're an imbecile
>>
>>344406128
First sale doctrine doesn't apply to licensed computer software. Which is the majority of what Valve sells through Steam.

But lets say for the sake of argument that it did apply. Valve has been violating first sale doctrine for nearly a decade now. Plenty of companies including most PC game publishers sell software freely in Europe while violating first sale doctrine. If the EU hasn't done anything about it already, what makes you think they will now? What leg do they have to stand on after Valve implemented the refund system?
>>
>>344406483
Steam is by far the biggest though.

>>344406791
it does

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine#Limitations (last paragraph of this section)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/258720/eu_court_rules_resale_of_used_software_licenses_is_legal_even_online.html

>what makes you think they will now?
UFC-Que Choisir (French consumer association) sued them

>What leg do they have to stand on after Valve implemented the refund system?
being able to get refunded for 2 hours != being able to legally resell a game to someone else after how much time you want
>>
>>344406275
>>344406627
>I need big daddy guviment to take control over everything i do because i lack the capacity of making my own decisions

Bunch of cucks, sad fucks i say, fuck eurotrash, hail to england.
>>
>>344406986
>big companies should be able to take away my right to sell things I own because gubinment is evil
kill yourself
>>
>>344407113
You can't sell a license, Abdul.
>>
There are two realistic ways that Steam could be toppled from its position:

A competitor comes along who supports more platforms more fully than Valve does and wins on a ground swell of popular support as people are able to play their games on their Windows Tablet, their Linux PC, their Android Phone, and their Apple Brain Implant.

Alternately Gabe's nightmare comes true Apple locks their platform down to prevent ease of cross-platform development and third party stores (kind of already happening with MacOS still not supporting modern OpenGL or Vulkan), and Microsoft as usual follows Apple's lead locking Windows to the built in Store by default. That would leave GNU/Linux as the only truly open platform left, and barring some major changes in the industry it will still likely be locked out of the mass market, though increased cross-compatibility with Android/Linux could help it somewhat but not Valve since Android is locked to the Google Play Store by default.
>>
>>344406986
>I want Gabe's jew cock in my ass so hard, I want him to violate my consumer rights so hard
>>
>>344407379
Dude, dude.

We're not talking about fucking Office here. We're talking about games, or licenses if we talk your talk.

Ok, ok, I'll explain it your way. After I'm going to sleep because I fucking need it.

Those licenses we never owned, yeah, yeah right we never owned that shit.

Well, apart the fact that we never owned it, we're still able to play those PS1/2/3 Xbox/360 NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii licenses and all the older console's licenses today. Why? Because we own and paid to be able to play those licenses, and this, whenever we feel like as long as we own to run those properly. That you want it or not it's a right we always had since the very beginning of gaming. You say we don't have the right? Good, I'm fucking waiting for the police to come and fucking get everything I have. They might get my ass in as well because man, when they'll see all those post-dated licenses I have home, they'll fucking shoot me at sight because I'd be one of the dangerous ones.

And you know what, I paid for those fucking licenses and it fucking feels GOOD to play those old licenses today. I don't want a bland future where everything I buy with the money I'm working my ass off to win will fucking vanish into thin air because of the simple fact that time has passed and I need to give it back to it's respective creator. Fucking BS I say.

I guess /v/ is just a bunch of fucking criminals that deserves jail time.

Good night /v/... Holy fucking shit, wow!
>>
>>344407379
you can, Pablo, that's what Steam's been doing for 15 years

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258720/eu_court_rules_resale_of_used_software_licenses_is_legal_even_online.html

>>344407392
as if gamers will not riot against Microsoft if they don't allow Steam on Windows
>>
>>344407559
but muh steam sales
>>
>>344406968

>But the question is crucial for online games stores: "If the Court of Justice allows resale, it will disrupt all their business models," she said. "It would apply to all things digital: music, e-books...."

I'm sure all those jews that control the music, movie, software and gaming industry will allow this to go through. Especially since everyone knows digital is the future.

In any case they were already sued in germany and oh look what happened

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/court-sides-with-valve-in-argument-about-trading-downloaded-games/1100-6417585/
>>
>>344407559
>he wants to go back the physical media era

Progress stops for no one.
>>
>>344407578
What will your riot accomplish? Microsoft will just label you as hackers, pirates, and malcontents. They'll point to their 'competitors' Apple and Google who have done the same thing on their 'consumer' platforms Android, and iOS insisting that this is now the standard industry practice and they're just following the norm.

Beyond that, honestly what are you going to do? Console gamers have already surrendered to the idea of closed platforms that will only run signed binaries with a single software source. Microsoft has already said that they're taking Windows further towards the Xbox. They have you by the balls and most of you aren't willing to do anything about it. Honestly what will you do, switch to Linux?
>>
>>344407753
>digital is progress
kek

>>344407703
German law != European law

>>344408013
99% of PC gamers use Windows and Steam, if you take Steam away from them while Linux support for games is still terrible, Microsoft will go bankrupt overnight
>>
>>344407392

Doesn't even make sense. The software on steam and ios are not the same. Steam sells games that requires weak to high end hardware. Ios only sells apps and mobile games. MS can realistically topple them but they have an uphill battle since they want people to use their storefront which at the moment is far inferior to steam.

It would be simple for MS to btfo valve out but they want to push 10 and so can't do it.
>>
>>344407753
>games going backwards and shittier with each year
>more expensive
>progress
sure thing shill
>>
>>344408148
>German law != European law

They sued them on the basis of that particular EU law and lost.

The latest people who are attempting to sue them using the same basis are in France and are trying French courts.

By your logic French law != European law
>>
>>344408404
>Even so, the ruling touches on hot issues of European copyright law and may have ramifications for the games industry and the used games market across all EU jurisdictions

if the German consumer group doesn't sue at EU level, that's their problem

UFC has demonstrated several times that they are willing to do that if French courts don't agree with them
>>
>>344408148
>99% of PC gamers use Windows and Steam
There are only about 150 million users on Steam. There a over a billion PCs in the world. The majority of Steam accounts have only a handful of games.

The 'vast majority' of users would probably simply shrug their shoulders re-buy their software and move on. The vocal minority is either going to face irrelevance on outdated versions of Windows that are no longer supported similar to how people still played games on Amigas well after that system was discontinued, or is going to have to embrace a more uncertain future by switching to Linux before its the best gaming platform to help make that a reality.

>>344408192
Microsoft can never topple Steam while their Store front and 'universal' applications only work on a single version of a single operating system, at least not on an even playing field. Of course, Microsoft as a monopoly power with greater control of the Windows platform today than ever before doesn't have to play fair.
>>
>>344408746
>There are only about 150 million users on Steam. There a over a billion PCs in the world. The majority of Steam accounts have only a handful of games.
not all PC owners are gamers, most of these PCs are facebook machines for grandmas or enterprise stuff
>>
>>344408908
True, but to think that Microsoft would be forced out of business by losing PC Gamers, many of whom pirate Windows anyway, is ridiculous. Besides, they've already managed to push many traditionally PC centric developers into supporting their console, getting them into the Windows Store wouldn't be that difficult. It would be a dark time for PC gaming that's for sure, but most of the world simply wouldn't care.
>>
>>344409543
>getting them into the Windows Store wouldn't be that difficult

This doesn't mean anything since most people buy games on steam. Devs know any minute cash they can put out for exclusivity won't cover the lost sales. Tomb raider is a good example. And seeing as how they can't even secure third parties like dead rising 4/tomb raider on their store since it's on steam after a month or two, they have no shot at it.
>>
>something like the steam client with EVERY game in your library
>pay $15/mo to access them all

ez pz
>>
>>344410010
On an even playing field maybe not. But in a few years when Windows 7 no longer supports the latest hardware, all technical support for it is ending, and to get your game onto the only up to date version of Windows is to accept Microsoft's terms and build a UWP version for sale in the Windows Store for 10 its not implausible.

We've seen this exact same situation play itself out numerous times in the past as Microsoft releases a product, it fails initially until they use their monopoly power to force it, and then previously dominant competitors are forced out or have to make do with table scraps.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.