[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so fucking creepy? I know it has humor but the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
Why is this game so fucking creepy? I know it has humor but the atmosphere is just so suffocating.
>>
>>344394716
I'm curious. Did you go into this game blind? Did you know anything about Shin Megami Tensei prior to playing it? Or did you just play Persona 3 or 4 and expected the same sort of deal?

It's a main entry in a series praised for its use of moral ambiguity, religious and life themes. It doesn't intend to shy away from a lot of harsh aspects in its storytelling.

Protip: Unlike most JRPGs, the power of love/friendship/whatever can't solve the issue in this game, that's what makes it profound and amazing.
>>
>>344394716
I loved that atmosphere. The only really horrifying part I found was the halls of that mannikin town. That shit had some of the creepiest ambience in the game.
>>
>>344394716
How much of a fucking baby do you have to be even slightly creeped out by the atmosphere of some fucking turn based jrpg? Jesus christ.
>>
Because the world is doomed like 15 minutes in?
>>
>>344394716
I always found it relatively "relaxed" compared to most other mainline games. There's a certain bleakness to the world but that's the result of it being turned back to a clean slate, not (for the most part) of really grim shit happening. Take Strange Journey for instance, now that is suffocating. The entire game feels like a struggle to get out of this incredibly fucked up world.
>>
File: shinmegaminocturne_ps2box_160w.jpg (33 KB, 160x229) Image search: [Google]
shinmegaminocturne_ps2box_160w.jpg
33 KB, 160x229
Fun fact:
>US version: Nocturne, rated M 18+ for mature
>UK version: Lucifer's Call, rated PEGI 12+
>JP (definitive) version: Maniacs, rated equivalent of "all ages"
>>
>>344396669
Isn't Maniacs the same as Nocturne but with Raidou instead of Dante? What makes it definitive?
>>
>>344394716
What's wrong with that? The intense setting and atmosphere is why I love the game so much, there isn't much else like it out there besides Digital Devil Saga. Atlus used to be fantastic at creating really heavy, engrossing worlds.
>>
>>344396807
If I'm not mistaken, non-Maniacs didn't even have the Labrynth of Amala or the TDE ending. That's what I've always heard, here I am thinking Raidou's model was just cut content in no version of the game. Huh.
>>
>>344394716

Just started playing that the other day after playing the first two. I am really liking it so far. Press Turn is a lot nicer than Persona 3 and 4's Once More system, I think.

>>344396807

Maniacs is the what the US version got. Maniacs complete edition or whatever it was called has Raidou instead of Dante, and that's about it.
>>
because it features an apocalyptic setting that is to some extent original
the regular cliched apocalyptic settings like in Fallout are not any less suffocating, but they've been used for so long that you became desensitized to it
>>
>>344396065
so you've never played shadow hearts 1 or 2 then
>>
>>344397902
You fucking what? Shadow Hearts made me laugh more than anything. How could anyone possibly get creeped out by such a light hearted series? The only one that is actually creepy is Parasite Eve. It reminded me of resident evil at some parts.
>>
>>344397986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M-CT9TVboo
>>
File: 1446510812491.png (190 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
1446510812491.png
190 KB, 500x504
>>344398070

Yeah, I'm such a tough guy for not being creeped out by games that are not meant to be creepy at all whatsoever and are filled with comedy relief characters, my little princess.
>>
>>344394716
>fucking creepy
good
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>344396065
Maybe it was the music, maybe it was the whole 'post-apocalyptic gangs eating each other' thing, maybe it was characters spontaneously changing personality at the oddest time, but DDS was unnerving as fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZcHrpX3eQ

Then DDS2 happened and shit shifted into MAXIMUM OVERWHY
>>
>>344398935
Though I liked DDS better as a game, it didn't quite have the same effect on me that Nocturne had.
Pretty sure it was because Serph had friends and I had characters I cared about and clear goals to strive for.
In Nocturne I was wandering alone with only terrible people as fleeting company.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.