[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So here's the deal /v/, growing up my parents didnt really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: y8yeqjxuza3kewarmnhz.png (720 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
y8yeqjxuza3kewarmnhz.png
720 KB, 970x546
So here's the deal /v/, growing up my parents didnt really like me playing video games all that much. Since I was 18 and on my own ive been replaying some of the classics i missed, but left out 1 genre that i am now going to go back to; JRPGS. So I need your guys's help, recommend me the best JRPGS to play, no matter the system. Thanks /v/.
>>
Start with Chrono Trigger. It's lighthearted, accessible and fairly short.
>>
File: 220px-Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg (37 KB, 220x305) Image search: [Google]
220px-Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg
37 KB, 220x305
>>344378845

Request threads are generally frowned upon but Im in a good mood so Ill share a few favorites

Phantasy Star 1 2 and especially 4
Suikden 1 2 3 5 and Tactics (I actually like 4 but it's a bit hard to reccomend)
all the Breath of Fires
Lunar
Lunar Eternal Blue
Grandia 1 and 2
Wild Arms 1 2 and 3
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Destiny
Parasite Eve
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
>>
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI and VII
Phantasy Star IV
Dragon Quest VIII
EarthBound
>>
>>344379241
Pretty much this cunt. I'd add Koudelka and Shadow Hearts as well as the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre titles
>>
Would you guys feel up with making a /v/ recommended JRPG list? As far as I can tell, there isn't any actual good list of JRPGs anywhere online.
>>
>>344380317
I have plans to do a video on it at some point as a JRPG fag. I've nothing for you at the moment however.
>>
>>344378845

>>344379241
I only played PH4 for 10 minutes but my impression is that it was just DQ in space
>>
>>344380317
>go to the /v/ wiki
>ctrl f JRPGs
wow that was hard
>>
>>344379241
solid list
>>
>>344380380
Well maybe some other time then.

>>344380613
I mean a list with only good jrpgs
>>
>>344380613
I completely forgot that was a thing until now.
>>
>>344378845
Play FF6 and Chrono Trigger. At that point you will have basically gotten everything there is to get out of the JRPG genre. The more of them you play, the more tired you get. You see more and more how their stories are all the same, and the mechanics are all just different versions of the same shallow gameplay.

It was my favorite genre when I was in high school. Now I can't stand to play any new ones. I can only replay the ones I loved as a kid, purely because the nostalgia makes them enjoyable. It's really not a good genre at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 640x549) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 640x549
>>
>>344379241
this
>>
>>344380862
Literally who
>>
>>344380774
>Play two games, one of which is babby's first JRPG and the other which isn't even good
>>
>>344379241
This will be a good start. Adding onto this:

Skies of Arcadia
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Grand Knights History
>>
File: 1459627185157.jpg (1 MB, 1700x1615) Image search: [Google]
1459627185157.jpg
1 MB, 1700x1615
>>344380317
>inb4 bitching about what games did or didn't make the cut
>>
Sort of related question:

can anyone recommend me a JRPG when the only JRPG I ever enjoyed was Septerra Core? Preferably on PC, or at least accessible on PC with emulator.

Septerra Core was the first JRPG (Western made, yes) that I ever played and I feel like it set the standard too high story wise. I just can't handle all the predictable anime tropes and wacky atmosphere in other JRPGs. I already tried (and was disgusted) with the following ones:

>Final Fantasy VII
was a huge disappointment, because I always dreamed about playing this game and thought that SC was just a shitty watered down version of it
>Vagrant Story (on emulator)
best story from the list, but that's about it - it had open exploration, but nothing intersting to find, and the didn't like the combat system
>Trails in the Sky
unbearable main characters, extremely boring MMO like spell system
>Hyperdimenson Neptunia
I think I got trolled by this recommendation
>Anachronox
doesn't count I guess, only reason I couldn't finish this one though was because of game breaking bugs

The last game I got my eyes on is FF6 which was already mentioned in this thread. Does it have a more mature story than 7? None of the dumb anime tropes? And does the PC version really suck so much than it's better played on an emulator?
>>
>>344381702
>multiple games from the same series
>FF takes up half the list
>>
>>344381702
Honestly pretty good entry-level list. Good to see VP, Skies, and Radiant Historia get representation.
>>
>>344381770
>playing JRPGs for mature stories
lyl
>>
Suikoden 1 and 2
Persona 3 and 4 (latest editions)
>>
>>344381995
Look, I don't mean it has to be super grimdark and edgy. Septerra Core was pretty simple too, nothing particularly special really. I just want some JRPG that doesn't have the obnoxious character tropes. I.e. I could literally tell that the main character from Trails in the Sky is gonna end up fucking her own brother 5 minutes in.
>>
>>344381702
>was about to bitch about the lack of xenogears
>it's there
Well damn,that's a good list
I haven't played vagrant story yet but I hear it was square's ps1 magnum opus because it built on everything they had done to that point.
IIRC it was also their final ps1 title.
>>
>>344382134
And I'm saying you're better off looking at other genres.
>>
>>344382134
Grandia 2 is on PC and has does what you describe but your mileage my vary
>>
>>344381770
Try Xenogears it takes a while to get moving,but once it does it gets good.
The second disc had problems due to budget though.
Also I haven't played it but parasite eve might be up your alley from what I've heard about it.

Otherwise it seems like jrpgs aren't your genre
>>
>>344382561
Xenogears is trash on every level.
>>
>>344382417
Alright thanks fa.m, I put my thrust in you
>>
>>344378845
on snes
-lufia return of the sinistrals
-terranigma
>>
>>344378845
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
>>
File: 1461846588787.jpg (123 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1461846588787.jpg
123 KB, 1024x768
>>344379241
I'm a filthy casual who has opinions, so here's my take.

Phantasy Star games besides maybe 4 have aged like moudly bread. The storylines are extremely basic and the gameplay takes getting used to. They are a product of their time, and were better back then.

Suikoden seems to get a cult following, and Breath of Fire 3/4 are super solid.

I can't comment on Lunar.

Grandia is one of my favourite games, bar none. It is a little old, and has pretty poor/cheesy VA's but was the perfect game for adventure.

Can't comment on Wild Arms.

A huge amount of the Tales games are amazing. My personal favourites are Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Vesperia.

Parasite Eve I can't comment on.

Chrono Trigger is top notch, you might want to make it your first.

Xenogears is a game I wanted to like so badly, but couldn't. It's got an enjoyable combat system, but the dialogue is so poorly translated that it constantly brings you out of the experience. It's so stiff. Outside of combat it plays a bit oddly, just moving about and talking.
If you aren't burned out on JRPG's then it will still be enjoyable though.

Also go for a bunch of Final Fantasy games. If you had to pick one, go FF9.

Get a Vita and get Persona 4 Golden. It justifies the entire system.
>>
>>344382561
He said he hated vagrant story's combat system

I highly doubt he would enjoy parasite eve
>>
>>344381770
I've never played septerra core so I can only recommend that you do more research on your own. Some titles to check out include Dark Souls, Tactics Ogre LUCT, Front Mission 2, Der Langrisser, and Romancing SaGa,

>>344381702
I know about that and it's better than the average JRPG list but it's still quite bad. I think a new one is worth making.
>>
there is an archived thread where a guy compiled a really nice list. and there are a lot of other great recommendation in that thread too
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/2873802
>>
>>344383642
>parasite eve
isn't that a resident evil clone?
>>
>>344379241
>ps 1
>playable
It's as bad as the original shining game.
>>
>>344384265
Clone? Not really? There's monsters you shoot, if that's what you mean.

But vagrant story's combat system is a direct decendant of pe. Teselated range sphere and all.

I love pe personally, but if he hates vs combat he'll hate pe combat
>>
>>344381702
>mother 3 on list but no Grandia II
Grandia's sequel is objectively more accessible to a newbie, as is Earthbound relative to it's third game.
>nier
You mean that game so bad it's own studio decided to outsource development of its sequel?
>>
There are a lot of JRPGs I want to play but right now I'm trying to just play the best of the best. Could you guys help me decide what to play?
Which of the following would be considered god-tier:
Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, Live-a-Live, Treasure of the Rudras, Metal Max Returns, Valkyrie Profile, Baiten Kaitos, Arc Rise Fantasia

Should I play SaGa Frontier 2 or Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song?

Also, which Etrian Oddysey is the best?
>>
Trails in the Sky. The best and only worth playing JRPG with Valkyrie Profile
>>
>>344382687
The graphics are nice. It even manages to run at 60fps in some areas
>>
>Persona 4/Golden
>>
>>344384265
Parasite Eve 2, maybe. The first game is nothing like it.
>>
>>344387294
What's so good about Trails in the Sky exactly

there's not even enough good hentai of the MC.
>>
>>344382687
Of all the things said on /v/ that were untrue, this has to be the most blasphemous.
>>
>>344378845
Play a mother series JRPG only after you've played some other ones.
They're good for winding down with, usually a lot more lax than their contemporaries.
>>
>>344388323
World building
Dialogues don't feel like they've been written by high schoolers (maybe thanks to an actual good translation)
Soundtrack
Characters (Olivier, man)
>>
File: Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg (44 KB, 256x245) Image search: [Google]
Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg
44 KB, 256x245
>>
File: fucking odin tossing a skeleton.png (2 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
fucking odin tossing a skeleton.png
2 MB, 1280x1024
>>344384327
PS1 is perfectly playable if just because you can save anywhere. I'd rather replay it than PS2 (that one fucking island, jesus christ)
>>
>>344384265
first game is final fantasy with guns

2nd one is a RE clone
>>
>>344381770
>Septerra Core
>JRPG

But Septerra Core was made in the US of A.
>>
>>344389932
He's been brainwashed by journalists into thinking JRPG = anime and isn't Japanese Role-Playing Game. He probably thinks Demon Souls/Dark Souls are WRPGs.
>>
>>344378845

In no particular order:

- Final Fantasy IV-IX (I and III are good as well, at least the original versions are)
- Dragon Quest in general (III, IV-V, and VIII are great starting points. Or just start with I and go from there)
- Chrono Trigger
- Some Pokemon games maybe
- Tales of Phantasia PSX, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia just to start out. There are some great titles too, especially if you can into Nip, like Rebirth and Destiny: Director's Cut.
- Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (haven't played IV yet, so I don't know about it, and the first two were alright)
- Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. All of the Mario and Luigi games. The Mario RPG series are different from other JRPGs. You may like them even if you don't like typical JRPGs.
- I've heard great things about Skies of Arcadia, but I've yet to play it myself.
>>
>>344382687
That's not true, it's a great platformer.
;)
>>
>>344389352

I would go full homo for Olivier and the cock does not appeal to me at all normally.
>>
File: radiant historia.jpg (77 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
radiant historia.jpg
77 KB, 640x576
>>344378845
Radiant Historia gets overlooked a lot. Pick it up if you enjoyed Chrono Trigger (which you should probably play first) since they have similar themes. Also has one of the best turn based combat systems, in my opinion.
>>
>>344384621
>You mean that game so bad it's own studio decided to outsource development of its sequel?
oh that has to be a troll.
>>344381702
>viii
No, not really. Otherwise the FF recs are spot on.
Arc The Lad 2 and Golden Sun are overlooked too often.
>>
File: 1466510886980.jpg (67 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1466510886980.jpg
67 KB, 480x360
>>344389352
>Dialogues don't feel like they've been written by high schoolers
This is true.

However

The characters are written like they are high schoolers (which fits) and that got on my nerves quite a few times. For the most part its fine but there are times when they sound like those motherfuckers in high school anime club. Also the comedy is hit and miss. Half the time it gets a smile and the other half its corny and or too sweet and bubblegum I feel like I'm contracting diabetes. Estelle is a real drag in the beginning but I eventual warm up to her. Overall though the writing itself is pretty solid.

Still a GOAT game, gonna start playing SC soon.
>>
Since ctrl f didn't find me anything I feel the need to throw in the star ocean series in here.

1 is alright and a very solid first entry, play the psp version so that you can play it on the SO2 engine or else it will have aged like stale bread

2 is the pinnacle of the series and while the overall story and some of the character interactions are a bit weak, the setting is amazing, one of the best crafting systems in an rpg to date, and a million of just small hidden things that people still occasionally find new things today (the game came out 98 iirc). You can play either ps1 or psp, either is good. Though the psp ver does make the true final boss annoying on it's hardes difficulty as it removes an earth element as an elemental resistance for some reason, and he casts the only earth spell in the game that will easily OHKO you if he gets it off and you aren't exploiting.

3 is a bit of a polarizing game as you either love it or hate it, crafting isn't quite as indepth and there's a lot of WORDS WORDS WORDS and a twist that can turn you off. Combat is probably the most unique it's been in the series but in modern days it feels dated.

4: Absolutely dogshit in every factor except the combat where it is either the best or second best, but even this is detracted from as bosses are hp sponges that will get hits on you no matter what eventually and you can not avoid them.

5: I'm not finished with 5 but from what others have told me is it's short and stories alright, combat is an improved version of 3's which personally I'm not a fan of but each his own.
>>
>>344391718

I wonder how much of that is the result of the localization. I played up to Cassius leaving during the prologue in Japanese and English, and the localization didn't get too crazy for the most part, except changing an "Eh?" to "It's something with teeth, isn't it?" Not sure about later on, sometimes the farther you go into a game, the more liberties you start to see.
>>
>>344378845
Do SRPGs count?
>>
File: pol enters the thread.png (879 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
pol enters the thread.png
879 KB, 960x544
Persona 2 PSP

and then cry how the sequel isn't translated
>>
>>344392379
Singaporean RPGs are fine too
>>
>>344392745

Well it is, but it's the PSX version that uses the dumb name changes from the PSX localization.

But yeah, Persona 1 and both 2s, I forgot to mention them in my honorable mentions, OP. If you try Persona 3 or 4 and don't like them, still give 1 and 2 a shot, they're completely different styles of games. Persona 1 and 2 are oldschool dark dungeon crawlers with some interesting stories, and Persona 3 and 4 are really just designed for people who like social sims but don't want to play a VN for some reason.
>>
File: 1444205919471.jpg (31 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1444205919471.jpg
31 KB, 505x431
>>344380537
>PH4
>>
File: phantasy star dungeon.gif (127 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
phantasy star dungeon.gif
127 KB, 256x192
>>344384327
PS1 is fucking great
>>
>>344393127
Simulation RPG

It usually means it has some sort of tactical and/or management element to it.
>>
>>344381702
Am I not seeing it or are there no Ys games there?
I mean it's a good list, but that's really bizarre.
>>
>>344394321
they're more action games than actual RPGs
>>
>>344394380
If that's the case what's Kingdom Hearts doing there, or Xenoblade. I figure Action JRPGs were being accounted for as well.
>>
>>344384327

>dissing Shining in the Darkness

too hard for you?
>>
>>344381702
It's impossible not to mention the absurdity of at least Phantasy Star IV not being there, specially when adding multiple games from the same series. FF I can kind of understand all those games because they're all essentially stand alone titles, and if you just put 1 FF game out there people would bitch about to no end for not being their favorite FF. But for the most part you only really need to pick the "best" game in the series, and if people really like it they'll naturally want to play the other games.

This list isn't bad but it needs to be trimmed down a little bit and replace it with a few other essentials.
>>
>>344394497
KH and Xenoblade have really strong RPG elements even if they're not turn-based.

Ys always just reminded me of a more action-oriented, faster 2D Zelda with even less RPG elements, and no one calls Zelda an RPG.
>>
>>344380774
Yes, play one of the shittiest JRPGs with some of the laziest design of all time and a passable JRPG and then stop, that's exactly what you should do, OP.

Fucking retard.
>>
Last remnant PC version op.
>>
>>344380537
Even though it's great, if you're not familiar with the genre Nocturne is probably not a good game to start
>>
>>344396282

Yeah, definitely. Great RPG, but not for beginners, I think.
>>
>>344378845
Final Fantasy V, Romancing SaGa 2 - or 3 with the fan translation if you don't want to put up with a mobile port - Dragon Quest V, SMT: Digital Devil Saga, and Xenogears. If none of them catch your interest, don't even bother looking at other games in the genre.
>>
Does anyone know if I am Setsuna is worth a day 1 buy?
>>
>>344396282
DDS would be a much better place to start with SMT anyways. It's similar enough that you'll mostly know how to play Nocturne after you're done plus you won't have to deal with the retardation that is Nocturne's cast that is deliberately designed to make you hate everyone until you know whether you'll like the gameplay or not.
>>
File: AGAINST THE ODDS.jpg (118 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
AGAINST THE ODDS.jpg
118 KB, 800x1200
>>344379241
Phantasy Star is great if you're after some real classics, they might be hard to get into at entry level. Same for Lunar and Suikoden, I'd say. Don't get me wrong, though, they're all great.

I would start with Chrono Trigger or Tales of Symphonia, then go from there.

I would also recommend Lufia II (SNES version), Tactics Ogre if you're looking for a strategy-based RPG, and Valkyrie Profile for something a bit different, but still a lot of fun.

Lastly, Xenoblade Chronicles for some open-world fun. Keep in mind you're looking at 20+ hours at the least with almost every game, maybe 40+ if you do sidequests/grind.
>>
>>344381976
>1/5
>half
>>
>>344396541
The game isn't out yet, what kind of question is that, nobody played it.

Also
>buying games on day one
I will never understand this, do you honestly have no other games to play? Just move on with your life and then watch gameplay videos and catch people's impressions to know if the game is worth it later down the line.

I honestly want to understand what's the merit of buying on day one, because I don't understand this.
>>
>>344379241
Phantasy Star II has aged like a microwaved orange.
If you play it, play the modernized rom hack, to fix the leveling curve. Otherwise it's really painful.

And I'm saying that as one of the biggest fans of the series imaginable.
>>
>>344396735
>Actually suggesting Xenoblade which is the most overrated JRPG of all time

I know Wii was starving for games but Xenoblade was fucking shite.
>>
>>344396862
What's your opinnion on PS3
>>
>>344396735
Oh, and Terranigma. Action-RPG, but it's a fucking great piece of work. If you like that, there's also Soul Blazer.
>>
>>344396924
>implying that's not Golden Sun or FF6
Neither of those games deserved even a fraction of their popularity.
>>
File: socialist agenda.png (1 KB, 152x134) Image search: [Google]
socialist agenda.png
1 KB, 152x134
>>344396981
I like both of those games
>>
>>344396941
It's actually a decent game with some cool idea, but less than stellar execution. It doesn't really fit in the series, though.
It's just more of a gaiden type game and not part of the main "trilogy."
>>
>>344396838
It's out in Japan. I was curious if anyone has played the Japanese version, basically. I'm sure someone on /v/ has imported it.
And honestly, I kinda am out of a backlog for jrpgs, at the moment.
>>
>>344396981
FF6 only started getting popular when contrarians wanted to hate anything newer.

Golden Sun, sure. Xenoblade is just as obnoxiously overrated though.
>>
>>344397208

>And honestly, I kinda am out of a backlog for jrpgs, at the moment.

I'm jealous. I've been playing JRPGs for nearly two years and I'm still not finished with all the ones that interest me. I'm going to have to take a break soon.
>>
>>344378845

The ones I'd reccomend are pretty popular so people may pass on them.

>Chrono Trigger

Sort'a one'a the greatest and most famous JPRGs of all. Lives up to it's name, inventive system, fun story, cool characters.

>Final Fantasy 7

Again, probably the single most famous JRPG of all. Really great world, amazing characters, fun story, solid mechanics.

>Persona 4

Offers a new twist on JRPG mechanics, really fun battle system, amazing cast, really funky soundtrack and just an amazingly comfy world. It'll take you back to your highschool days, and everything about it is just fantastic.

Some prefer 3, but I like 4 a lot more and think it's aged much better. But 3's worth a play too, play it first if you're interested.
>>
>>344397208
>I kinda am out of a backlog for jrpgs
How is that even possible, the genre is a goddamn bottomless well
>>
>>344397378
>solid mechanics.
>spam Enemy Skill to win the game
>>
>>344397378
>Offers a new twist on JRPG mechanics
It's just a dumbed down version of Nocturne half a decade later
>>
>>344396981
>>344397301

Uh, Golden Sun is a legit quality JRPG, fags. Don't know why you are even putting it in the same category as Xenoblade which is only great by today's standards.

If Xenoblade was released back back on the PS2, it would be as forgettable as Rogue Galaxy.
>>
>>344397301
>FF6 only started getting popular when contrarians wanted to hate anything newer.
t. underage retard who was not alive when FF6 came out
>>
>>344381031
im gonna bitch yo ass up you fucking nigger
>>
>>344397587
>Beyond the Beyond 2.0
>legit quality RPG
I can't hear you through the 30 minutes of uninteresting dialogue-ridden cutscenes and a mechanical system that was less interesting than fucking Dragon Quest, let alone Lufia 2, the game it was obviously inspired by.
>>
>>344397601
>t. underage retard who was not alive when FF6 came out
FF became popular with 7, before that it was pretty much literal who like all JRPGs.
>>
>>344397414
It's my favorite genre of gaming. I'm sure there are some great jrpgs I just haven't tried, but I don't know them. I've been trying indie jrpgs. I just got done with LISA, Cthulu Saves the World, and Breath of Death VII.

>>344397326
I understand taking a break. Getting my backlog of jrpgs has been a long process.
>>
Mana Khemia is a genuinely great game with some interesting combat twists if you can digest the cutesy magical school setting.
>>
>>344397810
860k in only the US and Canada is totally 'literally who' tier.
>>
>>344379003
first post best post
>>
>>344381702
>tactics ogre
Is this better on PS or PSP
>>
>>344378845
There's been a lot of great suggestions so far, but I would also suggest the original Dragon Quest. It's pretty short (I think the level cap is 20) and it hasn't exactly aged well, but I think it's important for its contribution to the genre as a whole.
>>
>>344378845
Chrono trigger highly reccomended

Golden sun 1, 2 and maybe 3 if you really liked 1 and 2

Sword of mana 3 fanslation

FF 9 on steam or emulate it so you can speed up the battles

FF 6

Summon night Swordcraft story 1 and maybe 2 if you really liked the first

Legend of heroes trails in the sky 1 and 2

Disgaea series, 1 and 2 recommended

Hexyz Force
>>
Jeanne d arc
>>
>>344398446
this
>>
>>344378845
IMO you'd be better off sticking to modern or last generation games. Nostalgiafags will recommend you a ton of low-res, outdated games with lots of personal significance but which are objectively less fun than newer games. IMO don't go back beyond wii / ds or maaybbee gba. there are already too many games to feasibly play coming out on modern consoles alone, no time to play every fucking classic out there

That being said I haven't played that many current generation JRPGs, but some I have found fun are:
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii / 3DS) - 9/10
Tales of Zestiria (PS4 / PC) - 8/10
Tales of the Abyss (PS2 / 3DS) - 9/10
Magical Starsign (DS) - 8.5/10 (probably some nostalgia though)
>>
>>344399741
Are you retarded?
>>
>>344399741
Oh no, it's retarded.
>>
>>344399840
>play these old games instead of games with better visuals, improved gameplay, and more relateable storylines!!!

granted the SJW bullshit lately is shit but you'd likely have a much better time with last gen games / current gen games than listening to nostalgiafags
>>
>>344399946
>better visuals,
Yes, because what we really need in JRPGs is an inflated budget spent on visuals.
>improved gameplay
[citation needed]
>and more relateable storylines
[citation needed]
>>
>>344399946
>improved gameplay
>more relateable storylines
>Xenoblade
>FUCKING ZESTIRIA
>>
>>344399741

>you a ton of low-res, outdated games

I should really have stopped reading here.

>Tales of Zestiria (PS4 / PC) - 8/10
>8/10

And that's where I did stop reading.

I've spent the last two years playing a shitload of JRPGs from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s that I've never touched before and I've been having a hell of a time. I guess kids and casuals like you wouldn't understand though.
>>
>>344400204
Zestiria wasn't incredibly but solid nonetheless. Xenoblade was godtier. Unfortunately I haven't played many JRPGs the last few years.

>>344400427
Why?? Why play games from the 80s and 90s when there's barely enough time to play fucking modern games? Modern day gamers -demand- better visuals, long playtimes, etc. If you're full-on neet you could maybe complete 8 games a month, but I am / was almost-neet and I only typically managed 4 or 5. There's at least a few new JRPGs coming out every god damn month, and if you add last-gen JRPGs (PS3, older PC, DS, Vita, etc) there is literally no time / reason to play ancient jrpgs
>>
VI>IX>IV>V>VII>X>=XII>III>XIII>Final Fantasy>II>VIII
>>
>>344400686
This is a board for video game hobbyists. If that is honestly your mindset, you have no business posting here.
>>
>>344400834
>this is a board for video game hobbyists
this is a board for faggots, actually
nostalgiafags are the worst of the lot
>>
>>344400686
>Why play games from the 80s and 90s when there's barely enough time to play fucking modern games?
Because we're not autistic retards who get triggered by graphics that are anything less than the current best and we understand that newer JRPGs don't always improve upon older ones in terms of gameplay? Tales hasn't had a legitimately good title in 8 fucking years.
>>
>>344379003
literally the best post. let me also grab

>>344379241
>>344379813
>>344381702

and all the final fantasies, except that online pay for monthly crap, you don't need that
mother 3/earthbound.
dragonquest
>>
>>344380862
isn't this the shitty stripped down VN where you build relationships with chicks and it doesn't fucking matter at all outside of using your love power to forge a weapon?

Shit nigger, I was 12 and horny as fuck and I didn't like this game. That's how bad it was
>>
>>344400686

>Why?? Why play games from the 80s and 90s when there's barely enough time to play fucking modern games?

Refer to >>344400834

>Modern day gamers -demand- better visuals
Graphics aren't everything, kiddo.

>long playtimes
>Bitches about not enough time
>Wants long games

Besides, play time does not equal quality. Chrono Trigger is short as hell for a JRPG, but it's one of the most fun out there for me. I've played 80 hour JRPGs that don't come close to its level of quality because they for for quantity instead.

>There's at least a few new JRPGs coming out every god damn month

Most of the newer ones don't interest me, despite trying to get into them, so that's not a concern.

I've managed to play 20+ JRPGs in Japanese, which I'm pretty good at but not fluent in, in a year and a half, and that's just for JRPGs. I actually do have some work to do as well. Guess you need to try harder.
>>
File: 1462892739806.gif (662 KB, 421x361) Image search: [Google]
1462892739806.gif
662 KB, 421x361
People always get super special snowflake in these threads and wind up recommending games they consider underappreciated rather than the actual best games a beginner should play.

The games you should play are:

>Final Fantasy VI - X
>Tales of Symphonia
>Paper Mario TTYD
>Kingdom Hearts 1 + 2
>Skies of Arcadia
>Chrono Trigger
>Fire Emblem
>Trails in the Sky + SC
>Disgaea 5
>Persona 3 + 4
>Pokemon

Backup list:

>Xenoblade
>Dragon Quest VIII

Notes:

- There's no point playing an older Disgaea, every aspect of the game is iterated upon with each entry and improves small things each time, 5 is the best in every gameplay aspect.
- It doesn't matter which Pokemon game, they're very similar in concept.

Advice to avoid:

- FFT and Chrono Cross have aged poorly
- Lunar, Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Grandia, Suikoden II and xenogears are special snowflake reccs for okish games.
- The star ocean series in general (including 3) is a poor series, laugh at anyone advising you to play them
- Ignore anyone advising starting the Tales series at anything other than Symphonia
- Earthbound and Mother are average low budget rpgs which are only prominent because they're an unusual production for Nintendo.
- Golden Sun is super terrible and was only relevant for being an early series rpg on a handheld.
>>
>>344400993
>tales of zestiria
>bad
not being 10/10 doesn't make a game 0/10 faggot
it's a solid 8

>new JRPGs don't always improve upon older ones
but they typically do
see: original final fantasy
i admit it's actually pretty fun, but only due to the fast forward button on emulators
without fast forward it is like eating shit

compare atari games to nes or snes games
there is a steady upward progression, but as time goes on that progression comes in smaller and smaller steps
>>
>>344401209
>Final Fantasy VI - X
Yes, recommend him to play the shittiest parts of the series that are almost all the fucking same instead of a smaller chunk of the series that shows off the series' variety, that's a great way to start someone off on JRPGs.
>>
>>344401209
>not playing tales of the abyss
what the fuck?
>>
>>344401209

>- Ignore anyone advising starting the Tales series at anything other than Symphonia

I was with you until you said this.
>>
>>344401261
>see: original final fantasy
You mean one of the best games in its series because every single game after V except for the fucking MMOs failed to understand what made JRPGs fun in the first place?
>>
>>344401341
Final Fantasy X is one of the worst written JRPGs I've played so far, even compared to Bravely Default
Literally MAGIC BEEEEEEE BAWWWWWWWWWWWWL: The game
>>
>>344381702
Why are there nine Final Fantasy games but not a singe Breath of Fire game? And what about Golden Sun TLA and Kingdom Hearts 2?
>>
2D Classics:
Chrono Trigger, FFVI
3D Classics:
FFVII, Xenogears
Genre's Last Hope:
The World Ends With You

this is if you're just going for the best games, and not weeb anime loser crap.
>>
>>344401403
Have you actually played it without fast forward?
The battles were fucking horrendous. The mechanics were great. But the battles were the most hideous bullshit possible.
>>
>>344401209
Fuck your tiny weeaboo asshole with a rusty lightning rod
>>
okay, lots of good games being mentioned, but i only got a damn computer, which one pirates the best? Because let me tell you, pirating/torrenting paper mario 64 took some effort to fix those bugs.
>>
File: Hunter.jpg (223 KB, 891x1272) Image search: [Google]
Hunter.jpg
223 KB, 891x1272
>>344378845
Dark Souls series
Bloodborne
Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>344401341
Isn't VI considered the peak of the series? Certainly more than IV, at the very least.

>>344401431
Don't forget the main character being a spoiled self-centered brat who constantly whines about not getting enough love from daddy.
>>
Give the Zestiria guy a break. He's already admitted that he doesn't play games that came out before he was born, so that means he missed all the good Tales games and doesn't have anything to compare it too.
>>
>>344401498
Yes. Still a million times more engaging than the absolute fucking bullshit of "press A to Marshal rage ->Wind Slash/Fire Dance/Autocrossbow random encounter that does not pose a threat and should not exist because of that #900" of VI or "use Enemy Skill to win every fight after Midgar and yet again random encounters are pointless bullshit and the game throws a million of them at you" of VII.
>>
>>344401627
Yeah I paid 15$ for X/X-2 Remastered and now I'm going to have this piece of shit on my backlog forever.
>>
>>344401602
SNES is retard proof to emulate, if you haven't been huffing paint PSX is next easiest, and PS2 can be slightly tricky at times
>>
>>344401431

>Final Fantasy X is one of the worst written JRPGs I've played

Try Persona 3 and 4. They'll make X look great.
>>
>>344401627
Only by retards with no exposure to other JRPGs. It's a trainwreck of bad gameplay which is fucking inexcusable when your game comes right after FFV.
>>
>>344401678
>Waiting minutes for Jane & Joe random encounter battle to end
>Every fucking time

Mate, you sound like your attention span lasts longer than five seconds.
>>
>>344401627
7 is just the most popular really, 7, 9, 12, 10(?), and the early one's (before 7 but no one i know can decide which one's the best out of them) are in the running. Probably a decent fight between 9 and 12 if were talking absolute peak.
>>
>>344401498

I actually have. I played FF I and FF XIII back to back. I thought playing FF I again and then XIII right after that might help me better appreciate XIII, but it actually only made me like it less.
>>
>>344401602

Anything on NES/SNES/PSX/PS2/PC.
>>
>>344401675
I played Tales of the Abyss on 3DS, which was great.
/v/ has a bad habit of calling games bad just because they're not 9 or 10/10

My main thing with JRPGs was my dad mostly got me PC shooters and Nintendo GBA games when I was a kid. For the longest fucking time the closest thing I'd played to a JRPG was fucking Pokemon Pearl.
>>
>>344401792
I'm talking about 6. I liked 7 but it's way too easy.
>>
>>344401762

Shit nigger, I've played more JRPGs than I can count, and I still think FF VI and VII are the best of the series. I'd like to hear your reasons why it's bad though, no one ever actually explains those. They just say "FF VI is shit. FF V 4 lyfe".
>>
What's better out of;
Tales Of Symphonia
Dark Cloud 2
?
>>
>>344401893

Yeah I liked Abyss too. Not sure why everyone shits on it so much.
>>
File: TreasureOfTheRudrasArt.png (2 MB, 924x868) Image search: [Google]
TreasureOfTheRudrasArt.png
2 MB, 924x868
>>344378845
Rudra no Hihou/Treasure of the Rudras.

It has already been mentioned in one of those posts that list a bunch of titles with no additional info, but it warrants another mention.

Never released in English, but has a translation patch. Very unique magic system where you type in words and get spells with various effects that way. You can make a spell called Dickbutt and see what it does, try out certain words that make sense (I think Thor is a thunder spell, for example) or just copy the spell names the bosses use.

Three storylines, great music, good animation quality, overall highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTqPfA-08PI
>>
>>344401732
>>344381702

alright. So, final question then, never played most of these games, which one should i go for?

played paper mario, chrono trigger, ff12, mother 3, KH and thats it.
>>
>>344401737
You should have recommended him an actual bad JRPG i.e Star Ocean 4
>>
>>344401986
Those are really not in the same category. Dark Cloud is not what I'd call an RPG in the first place, it's more of an adventure game with crafting.
>>
>>344402134

Not that guy, but out of that list? Lotta good games there, but eh, play DQ IV. Or any DQ (except for II or VI. They are not good introductions to the series).
>>
>>344379003
>Chrono Trigger fairly short
Only if you want to get just one ending.
>>
>>344379241
Don't take this anons advice.
>>
you're better off without them. they gain their power from your childhood imagination.
>>
>>344401985
>I'd like to hear your reasons why it's bad though
Let's see.
>as buggy as FF1 without any of its redeeming qualities
>braindead easy, still easier than most JRPGs even if you're doing a fucking LLG
>fucked up balance makes certain characters like Cyan feel like complete shit to use because you get to compare them with other characters - that you were forced to use before you even get him and were ridiculously powerful then - that mop the floor with the entire game with no effort
>makes a mockery of the stat system because only one stat will give you good returns per point, which makes Esper stat boosts a retarded system
>Esper system, skills like Tools and Blitz, and ridiculously early Osmose that is many times more overpowered than V's version made resource management a thing of the past so you can spam mindlessly and not give a fuck
>the few improvements it made in monster AI are wasted by doing stupid bullshit like making most of the enemies in the game waste their turn 1/3 of the time or giving bosses ridiculously specific things that will never trigger unless you go out of your way to look for them like Kefka countering with Ultima 1/3 of the time when he's at 10k or less HP, in a game where it's a joke to do 9999 per turn
>story is in no way good enough to make up for any of this
>>
>>344378845
Wild Arms 1 was already recommended by >>344379241 but I would clarify to get the original PSX version, not Alter Code F. Alter Code F is fine, but it lacks the charm the original had.
>>
>>344378845
Shining Force I & II for the Genesis.
>>
>>344378845
Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.
>>
Should I try playing BoF2 with fan retranslation? I remember dropping the official version because nothing that happened made any fucking sense.
>>
>>344402768
Yes.
>>
>>344397829
Just make the rounds on all Jap consoles. Every goddamn console no matter how obscure will have a bunch of great JRPGs.
>>
>>344402231
Hmmm if we still assume they're both JRPG's in a sense, which would you recommend playing first?
>>
>>344401627
>Isn't VI considered the peak of the series? Certainly more than IV, at the very least.

Magicite system in VI is pretty bad. I think it might be the worst system where everyone can learn all magic. Non-Zodiac license grid from XII might be worse.
IV has less customization than I.

Before VII the exposure of final fantasy to westerners was basically I, IV and VI.
VI is the best one there.
Then comes VII, it's no longer 3d, and it's on a new console.
So there was a rivalry where the old guard claims that VI is the best final fantasy, and the new guard said VII was the best one.
>>
>>344402560

Well at least you have actual reasons. I still like it, but I can't argue with them. I've been seeing a lot of people saying FF V is the greatest suddenly though, I'm pretty sure a lot of people are just saying that because FF VI got too popular. I've never heard people mention FF V as much as I have this year.
>>
>>344402767
Not what people would call jrpgs.
>>
If you like dragon ball you could try Legacy of Goku
>>
>>344403052
So V is the true unsung peak of the franchise due to very limited access to the western world. Kind of like Seiken Densetsu 3.
>>
>>344403307
The first one is garbage. The second and third (Buu's Fury) were great though.
>>
>>344403117
Same could be said for a lot of games in this thread. They are more on the action side, but they have RPG elements.
>>
>>344403052
>Before VII the exposure of final fantasy to westerners was basically I, IV and VI.
Not just IV, but a fucked up, gimped version of IV that was even worse than easytype.
>>
>>344403346
It's gotten a lot of appreciation since emulators.

It's the game I've replayed the most and it tends to get a lot of love in FF threads.

Every summer there's the fourjobfiesta event where you sign up and get jobs assigned based on what kind of run you're doing.

I think VII is solid though and might be the best FF overall, but it's not my favourite.
Materia system is good, story is good, characters are fun, no big flaws like IX combat animations.
>>
How does Tales of Symphonia compares to Tales of the Abyss? Will I enjoy this if I loved Abyss?
>>
>>344403542
>MQ was Europe's first glimpse at Final Fantasy
>>
>>344403346

It's good, but people are mostly praising it so much lately because too many people like VI now. Be prepared to see people start shitting on V and calling III the true masterpiece in a few years.
>>
>>344403785
Nobody played III.
>>
>>344403346
>Seiken Densetsu 3

Doesn't really hold up as well as Secret of Mana, in my opinion. The presentation is great and it's cool that you have so many characters/classes to choose from, but

>high number of classes basically comes down to spells and abilities being stretched thin between six characters, while the two casters in SoM have a huge array of spells
>every character is tied to one mode of attack, where characters in SoM can choose between many weapons
>combat is very laggy and generally clumsy
>not many changes between storylines
>evade and crit don't work, causing certain stats and spells to be absolutely useless

I still love it and SoM has its own share of faults (every boss comes down to spamming magic, for example), but I can't really recommend it to people who have no nostalgia for it.
>>
>>344403785
A better example would be IX, which was unanimously loved a few years back, but has now become wildly popular to bash horribly.
>>
>>344403883

I really liked the Famicom version of III. I remember people mostly liking it before the remake came out. Ever since then everyone just calls it shit.
>>
>>344403885
Still, SD3 is a solid contender for the prettiest SNES game.
>>
>>344403885
>combat is very laggy and generally clumsy
This, holy fuck. Rag on SoE as much as you want, but it played MUCH more fluidly than SD3 did.
>>
>>344392317

XSEED are probably the best localizers at the moment. They keep shit fresh and sidesteps cringey cultural shit that plain doesn't translate to English.

Imagine playing Cold Steel with Japanese honorifics
>>
>>344403346
To me, V is the peak for me because the mechanics have the spotlight. The story is nice and all, but the fun comes from developing your characters, finding new classes and unlocking their abilities. With VI, the series started to focus more on story and the mechanics slowly started a back seat. Where V has lots of quick battles, later entries have less battles but those take much longer because they're more "cinematic", which is nice the first few times but becomes really boring.
>>
>>344378845
>PS1
Breath of Fire 3 and 4 were great, as were Legend of Dragoon and Suikoden 1 and 2
>PS2
Suikoden 3 gets shit for being worse than 1 and 2, but I really liked it regardless
Suikoden 5 starts slow but is arguably the best of the series with 2
Skip 4
Breath of Fire 5 also got a lot of shit for being different, but it's fun
>>
>>344378845
Not sure if anyone else recommended them yet, but try the Shining Force and Arc the Lad series of games. Both are SRPGs, but heavily lean on the RPG elements so much so that they play like a traditional JRPG too.
>>
File: 1396285836001.jpg (121 KB, 598x595) Image search: [Google]
1396285836001.jpg
121 KB, 598x595
>>344381702
>No Suikoden V
>>
>>344404058
>summon in FFIII, IV, or V
>quick, efficient animation in battles that matter, always a useful option
>summon in FFVI
>just kidding you don't even need to bother with this shit
>summon in FFVII
>EVE Online Simulator 1997
>>
Suikoden would be best if tactical battles weren't so restrictive. It's really a stretch to even call them tactical, because you're hardly ever allowed to do anything. They're just elaborate cutscenes.
>>
>>344378845
SaGa
>>
>>344378845
Just wanted to issue a little warning for some games listed.

Phantasy Star games have a HEAVY encounter rate.

Chrono Cross is pretty flawed and very much a love it or hate it game. Try to think of it as a stand alone title, rather than a sequel. You'll probably like it a bit more that way.

Many of the games after FF7 are pretty hit and miss.

Golden Sun is only decent if you play it as intended. I.E. As a game on the go. Playing it normally will make its terrible and extremely redundant writing very noticable.

SMT games can be very unforgiving and difficult. Prepare to grind and combine if you hit a brick wall.

Xenogears while it has a neat concept and good combat, can come off as a bit pretentious. The second half of the game is literally a text crawl.

Many old JRPGs in general have high and annoying encounter rates as well. Specifically many from Snes/Genesis Era down to Nintendo. Ones from PSX onwards tend to be a bit better bout that however.

I do recommend maybe having something else on hand for the particularly grindy/high encounter games to listen to. It can help with the annoyance of being stopped every two steps.

Thats more or less all I can think of, hope this helps some.
>>
>>344398370
PSP
Very different games.
>>
>>344404231
The summons in VII were worse than useless even for casual players though. I've done about 3 runs (so far) of the game and so far the summons always, ALWAYS end up doing less damage than your regular attacks and magic. Not to mention they cost a fuckton of MP and HP and can only be used once per battle.
>>
>>344404879
That's because the designers were retarded as fuck. Trine deals more damage than Ramuh does in a fraction of the time and MP cost.
>>
>>344380613
>/v/ wiki

That was basically turned into /r/gaming wiki
>>
>>344404879

Yeah, the only summon I ever use is KOTR.
>>
>>344404879
>and can only be used once per battle

You can use them more often if you level up their materia, but I understand why you wouldn't bother. Only one really worth it is Phoenix, since it also revives your party members and you can link it with the "cast this when you die" materia as a safety net. Then again, that's barely ever necessary.
>>
>>344404879
Summons like Odin and Bahamut are the strongest spells you can use when they're first obtained. They do eventually get dwarfed in damage by newer spells but you also obtain newer summons that dwarf those.
>>
I honestly don't get the hard on people have for Chrono Trigger.

>Very poorly fleshed out characters besides Malgus and Frog
>Even with the time travel gimmick, world is extremely lackluster and boring (compare the areas with DQVIII or FFX, for example) and you can't really explore a lot of areas in each timeline
>Game is piss easy besides the final boss and optional one
>"An ancient evil is gonna awaken" tier storyline, so nothing really interesting about it.
>OST is vastly overrated, there are a couple of good themes here and there, but for the most part is not anything outstanding.
>Extremely short (around 10-11 hours)

I mean, I guess the gameplay is pretty nice and has quite a lot of endings depending on what you do, but that's about it. After playing FFX, Dark Cloud 2, Shin Megami tensei Nocturne, Dragon Quest VIII,etc. It felt really disappointed.

Don't get the hype to be honest.
>>
>>344405660
I feel the same way.
>>
>>344405660
I'd like FFX more if it wasn't a straight narrow hallway from beginning to end. And if the cutscenes weren't so long and unskippable. And if everyone except Tidus and Rikku weren't so one-note and shallow. And if blitzball didn't suck so much ass. And if the story didn't collapse in on itself by making Yuna's entire journey a.k.a the first half of the game superfluous. And if the music wasn't MIDI shit on a fucking PS2 game.

But hey, at least it got the combat right.
>>
>>344405660
To put it bluntly? Every aspect of the game is done welll. Every character had their background and motivations explored, cept for Crono of course.

While it didn't have a ton, it doesn't do anything really wrong either. Its just a very well fleshed out game.

Also, you're comparing it to games that came out years after it on consoles with far superior hardware.
>>
>>344405660

>Game is piss easy

I wonder if people like you will ever be able to comprehend the idea that not everyone wants every single thing they play to be hard. Yeah I like a challenge, I've played plenty of games that have busted my balls and loved them for it. I also like chilling with easy games too though.

Same thing for the story. No one ever says it's special. Not every story has to be deep and thought provoking. Those are good too, but sometimes "Save the world from the ancient evil" is fun too.

Playtime =/= quality

>OST is vastly overrated, there are a couple of good themes here and there, but for the most part is not anything outstanding.

I can't really argue over that one because it's opinion based, but man, I think you're crazy.
>>
>>344406139
>Also, you're comparing it to games that came out years after it on consoles with far superior hardware.

I'm comparing it with those with better hardware capabilities because even with those people said that this one was better than them (and then I played it and I thought this was incredible wrong)

I dunno, I guess I was expecting to be blown away by it after all the hype, but it was just a nice, 7/10 game that did nothing too outstanding but didn't really fucked up hard at any area too much. I mean, it was kinda shallow in a shitload of areas, but I wouldn't call it "bad".
>>
>>344406140
>I also like chilling with easy games too though.
Not that guy, but there's a difference between an easy game and a game that goes full retard on not challenging the player that it ends up being boring as absolute fuck.

Not that CT is that level of bad, though. You at least have to play along with boss gimmicks in CT, which is a lot more than I can say about some JRPGs.
>>
>>344406452
Well part of the problem was your expectations honestly. I can't quite blame you however. That said, the reason why the game is so good is simply because its flaws are few and far between.

There are few games which do so much right and so little wrong. The worst things the game has going for it is one lil plot point that was "addressed" in other games, and that it was pretty easy.

It has a charming, if simple story with a cast of characters who all have reasons for why they became the people they did, and eventually confront those reasons to better themselves.

As for CT being better than the ones you listed? Yeah, by far, but not in the aspect you're specifying. Visually, its a nice game, but its not going to compete with later games period. But it has a better story/writing overall than something like FFX.
>>
>>344381702
>>344384061

I'd probably condense things like FF, SMT, Tales into series, rather than single entries.

Possibly also put SRPGs and ARPGs in their own section.
>>
>>344406813
>As for CT being better than the ones you listed? Yeah, by far, but not in the aspect you're specifying. Visually, its a nice game, but its not going to compete with later games period. But it has a better story/writing overall than something like FFX.

Well, I highly disagree with this. It was a nice game, but way worse than all of those I mentioned (at least in my opinion).

Let's just agree to disagree though.
>>
>>344378845
If noone has suggested it yet, Okage. Kinda a quirky but charming lil RPG that dimly reminds me a little of Earthbound meets Tim Burton in a way.
>>
Just make sure you play SMT games last, since "standard" JRPGs are usually just too easy or not complex enough after playing SMT.
>>
Final Fantasy series (except for the MMORPG
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest series
Mother series (also known as Earthbound)
Xenogears and Xenoblade
Persona series
Suikoden series
Golden Sun series
All of the Mario RPGs (Super Mario RPG, the first three Paper Marios, Mario and Luigi series)
Secret of Mana
Terranigma
Fire Emblem series
Pokemon series
Tales of series
>>
>>344407009
Well, you can have your opinion, but you should know FFX had terrible writing, if you actually pay close attention to the plot, ending especially, theres little reason for a lot of stuff.

There is, however, a reason for its bad writing. The game was literally designed with cutscenes first, story second. A weird descision by SE is to make all their FF games about spectacle first, then they hand the cutscenes off to the writers and force them to somehow make sense of it. Which they can do a half decent job over, but they're kinda hamstrung by doing so.

Liking it more than other games is fine, but just explaining that there is a reason for why its said to have poor writing.
>>
>>344407009
Oh, as an addition to: >>344407009 while it did have terrible writing, it was still a fun game overall.

Hell, FFX-2 is probably even worse in terms of writing, but probably one of my fave games. So I'm not really knocking your opinion or anything, just kinda laying all the cardso n the table as it were.
>>
>>344405660
Play Chrono Cross, it's much better.
>>
I still believe the greatest SRPG is Sengoku Rance.

There has not been a game like it, past and present. Sure, there may be other titles people can recommend based on different aspects of it, but the s part of the rpg, conquering and sandbox modo, its stand alone one of the greatest games ever made.

I have sunk more hours into this game than I care to admit. I always skip the hentai scenes, I simply love the combat strategy behind it.
>>
the legend of heroes: trails in the sky
>>
>>344408346
>30-45 minutes of just talking and talking
>10 minutes of fights and a boss
>30-45 minutes of talking and talking
>rinse and repeat

There I just saved anybody from playing this glorified visual novel.
>>
>>344400975
truth
>>
>>344408487

Sometimes it's the best part. I played Planescape: Torment and ended up not liking the combat, but I kept playing for the conversations.
>>
>>344408487
But that's literally the selling point of the game though. Trails in the Sky shines in it's really detailed writing compared to most JRPGs.
>>
>>344408487
Yeah that sounds about right. The gameplay is bog-standard JRPG fluff, the game really shines with its story, characters, worldbuilding and lore.
>>
>>344378845
How hasn't Strange Journey been mentioned yet?
OP, I highly recommend Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. Game's fairly challenging, though, and progressing through the bosses will require a decent understanding of SMT combat.
>>
>>344386684
Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song easily. Best game in the series. Though it is worth playing all the SaGa games due to how mechanics and progression could differ.
>>
File: estelle 1.png (57 KB, 143x153) Image search: [Google]
estelle 1.png
57 KB, 143x153
>>344408487
the emphasis on dialogue makes it really good for what it is

characters and story are fantastic
>>
>>344408205
I actually agree with this.

I have spent months trying to find a game as good as Sengoku Rance to no avail. Its a shame that theres shitty licencing preventing us from playing the rest
>>
>>344407141
SMT fans sure are full of themselves. There are other series with many more mechanics that could catch the player off guard in making their file unwinnable.
>>
>>344408205
I agree. I didn't really like any of the porn, but the story and gameplay have me coming back again and again. Sadly, I've recently had a run with a decent score and unlocked the One Eyed House starting bonus, so there isn't really much to do for me anymore. Felt great when I had enough points to select a decent bonus for the first time, though.
>>
>>344408629
Wouldn't hurt a game to actually have good gameplay on top of a good story though, wouldn't it?
>>
>>344409525
I know that feel. I wish I was apart of 'that' fanclub. Got to the point after I unlocked the family bonus that she hit the troop bracket over and over.

>>344408972
Yeah, Quest looked to be promising, but it will be years before, if ever, that we get to play it.
>>
>>344408838
Not really. The story is just average as fuck and most of the characters are just shitty trophes aside from Estelle and Olivier.
>>
>>344409649

No, I definitely hold gameplay of the highest importance. It's just that sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, other aspects trump it, and if it's still enjoyable despite the gameplay, then great.
>>
>>344408487
This. I just want to play the damn fucking game, it's unnecessarily over detailed and a good chunk of the dialogue in the main story has nothing to do with the fucking plot and it's just main characters talking with eachother over bullshit.

And then you get to the actual gameplay and although it's not bad, the gameplay just fucking flies by in the blink of an eye and you're thrown into more NPCs talking and talking and talking.

"hey we're trying to save the world"
>let's talk about exploring the city instead
>let's talk about shopping instead
>let's talk about ____ instead
>let's talk about ____ instead

I wanted a fucking JRPG with a story, not a visual novel with gameplay.
>>
File: 1459809505044.jpg (20 KB, 432x495) Image search: [Google]
1459809505044.jpg
20 KB, 432x495
Terranigma
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
Phantasy Star Online
Megaman Battle Network
>>
>>344379241
>just a few
what are you, gay?
>>
>>344378845
Digital Devil Saga one and two
>>
>>344381770
>unbearable main characters, extremely boring MMO like spell system
>extremely boring MMO like spell system
>MMO like spell system

what MMO?
>>
>>344390937
Is it just me, or is the music from Xenoblade really similar to that of Radiant Historia?
Are the games connected in any way?
>>
>>344404015
Rean-san am I kawaiii?
>>
>>344381770

>was a huge disappointment, because I always dreamed about playing this game and thought that SC was just a shitty watered down version of it

Sounds like you let expectations get the better of you. Not a wise thing. Never expect anything to be great. Except "alright" at most, terrible at worst. That way if that game's nothing to write home about, you won't end up disappointed. If it's really damn good, it'll surprise you and you'll have a blast. The only time in ten years that this system has failed me is with MGS V. I didn't follow news of it, I didn't expect much, and I was still somehow very disappointed.
>>
>>344386684
Seiken densetsu 3 easily imo. It's the best square game imo.
>>
>>344408838
I fucking loved FC SC and just finished CS. I love the details the series has and the overarching lore and plot

but even I gotta admit it is annoying as shit when EVERY FUCKING CHARACTER has to chime in on EVERY CONVERSATION. I get that it's a good way to build the character of every character but when shit is all going down and I wanna know what is going on I don't wanna go thru 5 different characters saying the same thing in a different way.

love the games but I also would never replay them.
>>
>>344408828
I feel like RS2 slightly beats the remake out there.
>>
>>344408205
Have you tried Eiyuu Senki? It's not nearly as good as Sengoku Rance, but it was the closest I ever got to having a similar experience again. It's fun to slowly conquer the world and see what weird characters each new nation you encounter holds.
>>
>>344409038
Like what? And I don't see why having the possibility of making a file unwinnable is well designed difficulty, but whatever. I guess it can be good if it's well implemented (FE:Conquest for example).
>>
File: SaGa_Frontier_US_box_art.jpg (57 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
SaGa_Frontier_US_box_art.jpg
57 KB, 256x255
>>344411835
>>
>>344402086
Stopped playing after that arena fight at around 1 hour playtime. They REALLY want you to use the magic system, too bad its a chore to set up.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.