[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently played through FFVII for the for the first time, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Tidus_art.jpg (4 MB, 2100x2664) Image search: [Google]
Tidus_art.jpg
4 MB, 2100x2664
I recently played through FFVII for the for the first time, and actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I tried pic related when it came out, and quit half way through. After liking FFVII, I came back to the HD rerelease, and still couldn't get into it. I don't know what it is, but I have such a hard time getting into FFX.

I've seen some polarizing opinions of this game, but what are your thoughts /v/?
>>
Play VI instead.
>>
Combat's better than most in the series, music is great, and I love the design of the environments and the world. Story's okay too. Characters can be annoying, but overall I find them likable and their designs tolerable. Overall it's one of the better games in the series in my opinion, not sure why people dislike it.
>>
File: JUST.webm (318 KB, 1418x1022) Image search: [Google]
JUST.webm
318 KB, 1418x1022
>>344343149
Maybe it was the remaster that turned you off. It got a nice helping of JUST.
>>
>>344343149
FFX is one of those games you mostly play for the story, though I do dig the gameplay as well. The International & HD versions also got plenty of optional stuff, though most of that opens up for you towards the end of the game.

I was personally never really bothered with the linearity aspect. It ain't my favorite FF game or anything, but I still consider it pretty nice.
>>
>>344343149
You shouldn't be playing the remaster. I quit the game halfway when it came out, like you, but when I related it a while ago I finished it within a few days and loved it.
>>
I preferred the combat system of X to X-2.
>>
>>344343862
Glad I only paid 15 for it, fuck.

The remastered music and new sphere grid are nice, though.
>>
>>344344576
X-2 was just straight up imbalanced. Warrior was OP with it's super group buff at the end.
>>
Even the "good" Final Fantasies are just in the decent category, I never understand why FFX gotten the praise when there are much better PS2 JRPGs.
>>
>>344343149

FFX is proto FFXIII. The whole game is a hallway.
There's a great battle system in here, an interesting world and good music like always. But its crushed under the weight of linearity and a truly awful levelling system.
>>
File: 1447029701769.gif (943 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
1447029701769.gif
943 KB, 500x368
>>344343149
I like X and VII but X is pretty different than VII. If you don't like a game no need to keep pushing yourself through it.
I recommend you play FF6, FF8, and FF9 in that order.
I hope you enjoy them op
>>
File: 1443293764551.jpg (413 KB, 900x1277) Image search: [Google]
1443293764551.jpg
413 KB, 900x1277
>>344345374
>and a truly awful levelling system
I greatly disagree
>>
>>344345428
Thank you anon, I will take this advice to heart.
>>
>>344345549

I just hated the sphere grid. It was so tedious just dropping spheres consecutively into every space that opened up for each character. Branches were rare and only diverged from the sequence for about 3 or 4 sphere slots so it seemed completely pointless to do it manually. It felt like character growth was just as constrained as story progression.

Honestly I'd have preferred it if you just had a classical levelup system with stat growth and skills bound to levels, bound straight to XP.

I used the basic grid, I heard the expert grid is better about this.
>>
>>344344753
The sphere grid was in the international version on ps2 already.
>>
>>344345374
>awful leveling system
>implying the linearity of the game does not complement the pilgrimage of the plot
>>
>>344346795
Of course it compliments it.
That was XIII's biggest problem. While I actually liked its story, making one hallway after another was just lazy design that wasn't necessary for the narrative. Lot you can do with being a fugitive.

FFX's narrative actually made sense, and while it was also hallways, they were at least interesting, tried to hide their linearity, or offered a minigame or feature to spice it up, like the Thunder Plains.
It also made good use of towns.

FFX wasn't proto-XIII. XIII was a downgraded X.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.