[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hasn't there been a true zombie survival simulator yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7
File: baby-blue-zombie.jpg (257 KB, 2520x1338) Image search: [Google]
baby-blue-zombie.jpg
257 KB, 2520x1338
Why hasn't there been a true zombie survival simulator yet? Massive open world, incredible interactivity, controls that don't suck a dick, build bases and survive as long as possible?
>>
>>344335987
Been wondering the same thing for years. Nobody else seems to care tho.
>>
Only thing close to this that I know of is project zomboid, and that's an isometric indie game
It's also the only game I know of that has zombie infection as a gameplay element, I guess because the mainstream audience wouldn't like waiting to die after getting hit once, but it's a feature I'd really like more games to at least try
>>
Try out 7 days to die?

Its still EA and the graphics aren't amazing
Sizable random map gen with base building and horde survival
>>
>>344335987
I quite liked state of decay.
>>
Technological impossible.

Unless you consider Minecraft, since you didn't specify good graphics.
>>
>>344337237

> I guess because the mainstream audience wouldn't like waiting to die after getting hit once

I feel like this is a mostly bullshit reason nowadays that Dark Souls and Roguelikes exist. A mechanic to sustain life through finding antidotes might make it easier to stomach for those not wanting to leave their character they built up to die.

Honestly, Dead Rising could pull it off if they wanted to build a true survival mode with infection and shit.
>>
>>344335987
project zomboid?
>>
>>344335987
There is. Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.
>>
>>344338431
He said controls that don't suck dick.
And from the way he wants the game it is obvious he wants an immersive first person experience, not 2D spriteroni
>>
>>344338495

OP meant a real game nerd
>>
>>344337717
I've never heard much about it. Can you tell me why, maybe give me a comparison to something else?
>>
>>344337929

Your statement is as stupid as your grammar implies you are.
>>
>>344338746
>it's too hard for me to learn so it's not a game
>>
>>344338495
Do tell
>>
>game tries to explain zombies
every time
That always ruins the game for me
>>
>>344338795
implies THAT you are bucko
>>
>>344338989
Nigga please I can open a .dll file and it looks exactly like your game. I can't figure out how people get into it.
>>
>>344335987

Isn't that what is "War Z" or Day Z or something
>>
>>344337717
SoD is probably the closest to what OP is looking for. Although the controls and a few other things in the game are pretty jank.
>>
>>344335987
>open world survival game (with zombies)
it's an oversaturated field full of infamous titles, any new additions would be met with a lot of skepticism and bias. if it didn't perform well with lots of features out the gate, it would sink.
>controls that don't suck, interactivity, build bases, survival mechanic
difficult things to implement and maintain for any small dev, especially for a large-scale game. a big dev wouldn't be very interested, since a game like that could only really be marketed to PC. PC gamers largely don't accept games with obvious flaws, and big developers have pretty much stopped making things that aren't guaranteed to sell.

I really, really liked pre-overhaul Rust though. It had animals instead of zombies, and the base building, raiding, and town looting were all great in my opinion.
>>
>>344339351
Day Z youre pretty much against other players rather than zombies.
>>
>get hit once
>have to either find antidotes/drugs of some kind to slow the infection/maybe cure it? Or just slow it for arbitrarily long times to keep players interested
>or choose to turn into a zombie, and have only minor control of your character, something like
>tap direction and zombie you might slowly wander that way
>better hearing/vision/"scent" indicators
>can level up as zombie too
>>
>>344335987
Because zombies are fucking shit and no one who makes video games (and likes making them enough to take on a project like this) likes zombies

fuck you for supporting zombie bullshit
>>
>>344339258

"That" is not a grammatic necessity. In that sentence the meaning is the same either way.
>>
>>344335987
>>344335987
>>344335987

DayZ SA is now at a good development point. The next 12 months will see it into a really usable game as you describe OP
>>
>>344339587
There will be a LOT more zombies in future DayZ releases
>>
>>344339268
If you can't figure out how people get into it, you can't figure out how to play it.
>>
Because it's either going to be boring single player formulaic nonsense or ruined by shoot on sight no immersion allowed killfags from call of duty.

You cannot win.
>>
I think it would be cool if it was done in "seasons". Everyone starts out human in a fresh map with only ai zombies. If you get bitten you spawn as zombie that you level into a special one. If you die to a human you respond naked and alone. The season. Ends when there's say 5%of the starting humans alive? Their names go on a list and a new game starts

Borrowing a page from planetside
>>
>>344335987
because you'll cry and complain once you see the 100$ price tag
>>
>>344339645
DayZ's basic mechanics are still fucked up, I'm tired of their lies
>>
>>344339237
I'm curious. Whats the alternative for you? Just straight up throwing you in a world full of zombies with no explanation?
>>
>>344339968
Not bad, fix your fucking spelling/auto correct though.
>>
Project Zomboid.
>>
>>344335987
>why isn´t there a game that does everything?
>>
Is there any game where it starts slightly before the out break? I don't mean an intro chapter like Dead Rising 2, but like a SS13 approach where you're doing normal shit and then suddenly or slowly the craziness happens.
>>
>>344339760
uhh.. so? the game will still feel more like a survival against other people rather than a zombie survival game.
>>
>>344338769
Third person. Big enough world to warrant vehichles, though not procedurally generated (in my eyes that's a good thing). Has a story you can follow if you want, you can take control of different characters so it isn't really a self-insert type of deal. Perma-death. Lots of looting, supply runs and running bases. Bases have a set amount of slots you can put structures in. I played for 8 hours or so before something else caught my fancy and my only complaint is that it wasn't very difficult.
>>
>>344340303
Yes, though to be fair it's come a long way in the last 8 months

>>344340802
It would be both?
>>
The concept of surviving a zombie outbreak needs humans to cooperate or die.

Asking for cooperation is becoming more and more rare as the years pass. It's not gonna get better either.

You are never going to have the game you want, it's always going to have a major flaw that ruins it. Always.

It's never going to happen.
>>
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is pretty much the best zombie/apocalypse survival game out there. The only thing is that you need to first not be a total dickclown and actually try to learn how to play. It's complex because that's what it takes to get absolutely everything into a survival game.
>>
Just gives me a map that covers the entirety of North America as an mmo that deals with both the zombie hordes and encroaching nature

>go into city and have to sneak constantly to not get eaten by hordes of zombies
>go through forest and make as much noise as possible to scare off single predators while hoping it doesn't attract wolves
>go into city zoo and get cornered by an escaped tiger
>long lockout period on death and rare pre-turn cures means some people in player groups might be infected and just hoping to get cured before they eat the person next to them
>>
>>344341308
Being autistic also helps
>>
>>344339268
the game comes with tilesets you goddamn retard

>>344341308
its pretty easy if you just watch a youtube video or two. You simply cannot have a game with the depth and mechanics it has without taking some time to learn.

>>344340715
>>344337237
>>344338431
project zombiod is pretty much cataclysm with half as many options and mechanics. Cataclysm also has isometric tilesets, and is free.

>>344335987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3BrdF5QqY&list=PL15F308CF24BDD172&index=2
>>
File: 1466642879558.jpg (763 KB, 1000x1497) Image search: [Google]
1466642879558.jpg
763 KB, 1000x1497
>>344339760
>future DayZ releases
ok buddy
>>
>>344341053
Yeah i don't think it's possible anymore, everyone got their buddy buddy survivalism out of their system back during the DayZ mod so now any similar games that come out will devolve into a death match. It's happening much faster than before, it took a few months before everyone killed on sight in the mod but now it only takes a few days or even hours before everyone starts killing eachother in games like this.
>>
>>344335987
>controls that don't suck a dick

Well fuck, I wanted to say Project Zomboid
>>
>>344335987
I'd suggest Cataclysm: DDA
Although It's a roguelike and has a lot of bloat.

You can skip down to /rlg/ and ask them why it's good/shit
>>
>ctrl+f 7DTD
>ctrl+f 7 days to die
>nothing
Seriously niggas?
>>
>>344345609
Its okay so far. But ive barley played any of it. How do you like it?
>>
>>344341053
wow dude im glad you know so much your so intelligent and knowledgeable about how to survive a zombie outbreak.

good thing its a fucking video game where you respawn, and groups of friends team all the time in any of the games currently out. nobody gives a shit about people being retards and destroying stuff, thats what they expect going into a game like this. its the fact that all the games out there are buggy pieces of shit with flaws completely unrelated to what you are talking about. please stop trying to interject your dumb, retarded, unrelated observations on the world into a simple thread about video games.
>>
>>344345609
>tfw you can't even ctrl+f properly
>>344337492
>>
>true zombie survival simulator
Define "true zombie survival simulator" you fucking nigger
>all kinds of edgy bullshit
get the fuck out
>>
I would honestly be okay with never seeing another zombie game again in my life.

Why not ask for something with an interesting setting and enemies?
>>
>>344345609
You didn't ctrl+f shit.>>344337492
>>
>>344345782
I've played it on and off since the earlier stages and it was getting pretty good until it became zombie apocalypse Ark. Guess we'll see where it gets from there

>>344345948
Shit, I think I ctrl+f'd 7days instead of 7 days

>>344346129
See>>344345948
Nigger
>>
>>344346041
OP is a retard, more news at 11.
>>
File: 1467380209793.png (387 KB, 389x446) Image search: [Google]
1467380209793.png
387 KB, 389x446
State of Decay 2 will be exactly what OP is looking for. The original came close but the combat and controls were mediocre. It was still such a good proof of concept that I think the dev has a great game in them.

Felt the same way going from Demons Souls as a proof of concept ---> Dark Souls
>>
>>344335987
what are you talking about these types of games are the biggest trend right now
>>
File: laughingwhores.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
laughingwhores.png
490 KB, 449x401
>he plays zombie games!
>>
>>344339872
>start game as a mutant
>go to fuck up a wolf with my bitching mutant powers
>get mauled
Great game. Just kidding, I'm willing to admit it's too complex for me.
>>
Because when you try to force too much shit into an engine it starts to fall apart. Look at DayZ SA, the engine can't handle all the shit going on and it results in a buggy mess.
>>
>>344347163
>i don't know shit about game engine or anything but nobody know it
Shut up retard
>>344346652
Also this, if they don't shit on us. Otherwise stick to Project zomboid or the first game.
>>
>>344340359
yes.
>>
File: 1366353022275.png (404 KB, 631x627) Image search: [Google]
1366353022275.png
404 KB, 631x627
>>344335987
>Wanting more open world survival games with crafting

Just pick one out of the million already available ones and play it, they're all guaranteed to be shit.
>>
>>344335987
https://youtu.be/7BLSRurDLes

Survive the Nights. They updated the graphics and shit and the gameplay looks decent but it looks like it's never coming out.

>inb4 Unity
>>
>>344335987
>incredible interactivity
because of that
that is very hard to do
game devs can barely get a thing to do one thing well
imagine if you tasked them with the job of making one item that has the potential to do thousands of things
impossible for those dumb hacks to do
>>
Try making it yourself nigger.
>>
>>344348128
by myself? for real?

aight
>>
>food
>water
>stamina

>sophisticated limb damage (to enemies and self)
Get hit in leg, you limp. Etc.

>stupid amounts of objects for sale / "crafting"
>>
>>344347440
You really think you can keep adding mechanics to an engine without hitting limitations and cause adverse effects? Maybe you shouldn't be throwing around the word "retard", people in glass houses.
>>
>>344339645
>DayZ SA is at a good development point
Oh, so zombies are finally in it?
>>
File: ps2_571.jpg (2 MB, 3236x2166) Image search: [Google]
ps2_571.jpg
2 MB, 3236x2166
>>344337237
I think that a infection mechanic like in the Resident Evil: Outbreak series would be pretty cool. It gives you a real reason to avoid combat when you can because getting hit will send your infection rate up like crazy but at the same time it is forgiving enough that you can stop the infection progression for a time with blue herbs(although it can never go down, except with anti-viral medicine, which would also make combat feel more dangerous) and at the same prevents you from turtling the whole game because the infection will grow slowy, but surely, on it's own.

Outbreak series sure was ahead of its time, would be amazing to play it with todays connectivity instead of the shitty ps2 one.
But HD remake or a new entry never ever.
>>
OP here. This is what I want to see in a zombie game.

>Large world, hand-crafted for the most part. Entirely random/procedurally generated is for turbo faggots. Should at least encompass a small outlying town or two or three, and a larger urban environment, but there are ways to incorporate some random elements.
>Lots of interactive items, and some minigames associated with items.
>- find a broken radio? repair it
>- find a broken car? become a mechanic
>- need tools or books on how to do it? go to a true value or find a library/book store. can be a over simplified process to make it less tedious than real life.
>- want a book to read? pick one up while you're there. can add tons that are in the national archives or in the free domain... they don't have to be interesting, just random fluff to look at.
>- shitty movies in shitty resolution could be added to watch on your shitty tv.
>"Town" building. Find survivors, assign jobs, build a post-apocalyptic bunker or shanty town to help survive.
>No objectives other than surviving as long as possible. Could be world ranked or some shit to stroke epeen, but the game should be difficult enough.
>Can be an assortment of quests. Find random people that need help or saving, or hear a distress call on your nigger rigged radio.
>Lots of exploration and interesting places to see. Tons of examples of games that do this right - I don't need to mention the good ones.
>Guns, guns, guns. Gun stores. Military storage. Police stations. They should be difficult to access, ammo should be limited. Zombies, survivors, and roving bands of undesirables could offer minor replenishment.

Honestly, I could go on forever with my ideas. I spent enough time as is just writing this shit. It's not a difficult concept to understand and do right. There are tons of great movies and resources to pull from that offer copious amounts of ideas.
>>
>>344351536
Such great cover art.
>>
File: 7bf.jpg (46 KB, 367x380) Image search: [Google]
7bf.jpg
46 KB, 367x380
>zombie game
>it revolves around crafting
>>
>>344351536
Fuck you for making me think of this game again. It was so great and I have no idea why they never released a new one.
>>
>>344337237
OP here. Great idea. It would need to be worked to find the proper balance of fun versus irritating versus straight rage inducing. Outbreaks should be uncommon if you're safe/smart enough, but should also be a danger if you collect a group of survivors and one does some stupid shit and now your entire safe haven is overrun and needs cleaning.
>>
>>344351671
Yeah, I think it conveys what the game is about very well. Help each other out, try to make it out, lose people trying, help your friends, etc. I specially like how the soon to be dead guy is actually handing the Mark the gun as he knows he is a goner.
The white/foggy background one looks better though.
>>
>>344337717
As buggy as that game was, it was really fun. Hoping the sequel has some sort of co-op and of course is a little more refined.
>>
>>344340871
What's great is th sequel. It's pretty much tightening the engine and adding multiplayer.
>>
>>344351851
>game
>it revolves around crafting

Fixed
>>
>>344351915
I think it didn't sell very well because online play was such a new thing at the time and the AI was pretty bad at controlling the other 3(though each character had its own way of doing stuff which was neat). Also it was considerably harder then the previous games so I guess casual players and less skillful fans didn't buy it.
>>
Day Z mod was good, I don't care what anyone says.
>>
>>344339645
Exile is far superior. It might not be as survival based, but at least there are fucking zombies. DayZ SA is the biggest piece of shit I've ever been duped into buying.
>>
>>344352313
Don't think anyone disagrees, even people who hate multiplayer games loved the mod.
>>
>>344352223
>though each character had its own way of doing stuff which was neat
Fucking David running off on his own EVERY.FUCKING.TIME
every now and then he'd show up again and give you stuff though, which as neat of him. I have no Idea how that nigga stayed alive, but he'd always show up again when I was heading to the boss.
>>
OH BOY YES WHAT WE NEED IS ANOTHER EARLY-ACCESS OPEN WORLD SURVIVAL GAME WITH CRAFTING
>>
>>344351596
Zomboid is most of that. Generator fixing and preping before the power runs out is great fun.
>>
>>344352538

A lot of people bitched about glitches and shit. Arma's engine itself isn't that great, so I don't know why so many people shat on Day Z specifically. Loved the atmosphere of Chernarus, fixing up cars, looting military bases, destroy people's camps, etc.

Was a whole lot of fun.
>>
>>344352739
And this is why it will suck

Zombie games always attract a shitton of early access crap rather than full gamed
>>
>>344352789
I might have to try it.

Also had an idea for a one-life gameplay mechanic. Make yourself, and if you die and have survivors in your camp, you select who you want to be your replacement. Another way to do rankings on how long you stay alive with a character.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.